Because shopping is never convenient enough, Amazon has introduced a new text message based service where you can shop and purchase directly from your mobile phone via SMS. Ars Technica gives it a trial run and says it works pretty well. [Ars Technica]

Comments

1. bluewyvern says:

I can’t imagine ever needing this. What can’t you wait until you get to a computer to order? It’s not like it’s going to be delivered in the next twenty minutes.

But then again, I don’t live and die by the phone like some, so maybe this is essential in some way that I’m not seeing.

2. Bladefist says:

@bluewyvern: yep. I saw this and I just figured it was an experiment. Who actually needs this.

3. AMetamorphosis says:

This is stupid.
    Use the handset to make a CALL and get a human to process your order …

4. B says:

It’ll make it easy to comparison ship between Amazon and Brick and Mortar stores.

5. Mr. Gunn says:

B: Yeah, I’ve occasionally wondered, “How much is this at Amazon?” while looking at something on the shelf. This will make it easier than loading amazon.com in my mobile browser.

In related news, SMS messages look like shit on the iphone. Look at all that wasted space!

6. Mr. Gunn says:

AMetamorphosis: Have you ever called Amazon to place an order?

7. SpecialEd says:

There have been many times that I have been rushing to get to my next meeting or catch a flight and thought how nice it would be to be able to shop and spend money, even while being in such a rush. I’ve been trying to get further and further into debt by buying more and more stuff I don’t need, but who has the time? Thank god, I now can spend like there’s no tomorrow without interrupting my busy schedule. Thanks Amazon!

8. AMetamorphosis says:

@Mr. Gunn:

Nada, but I’ll assume from your question thats its impossible to get a human …

9. bluewyvern says:

@B: @Mr. Gunn: Okay, that does make a little bit more sense.