Comcast Tech Abuses Power To Rack Vegeneance On Xbox Hackers

DSL Reports has the story of an outsourced Comcast tech was fired after bragging online about using internal Comcast systems to get vengeance on hackers disrupting his Xbox. After annoying little twerps intentionally overloaded his Xbox with data (known as packet flooding), Mark Ribeiro, who describes himself as a “Comcast tier 2.5 support agent, which essentially means im one of the top 1% elitest agents,” went to work. First he identified one of the perps and found out he was a Comcast customer. Then he looked up the kid’s info in the Comcast support system and called the kid’s father…

After telling the father that his son was involved in illegal activities and it would result in their internet getting shut off for a week, Mark writes on the halo3forums he heard “the father began to yell at his son, i then heard a loud smack, and then sobbing, and then cracking noise as if something was breaking..it then occured to me that the father had just beat the sh.t out of his kid, and the cracking noise was the sound of a hammer on an xbox.” Comcast says it has identified the employee who violated the users privacy to an epic level and told Convergys to fire him. As anyone who read our insider post, “Convergys Call Center Sucks Because Agents Are Stabbing Each Other And Making Out In The Halls,” Comcast and Covergys are renowned discerning employers of classy lads. As an added bonus, here’s a picture DSL Reports acquired of Mark toking on a bong:smokethatbongmark.jpg

**(UPDATED)To Those of YOU who packet flood…be aware [halo3forums]
Outsourced Comcast Tech Gets Vengeance On Xbox Cheaters – But in the process abuses Comcast support systems, violating user privacy… [DSLReports]

Comments

1. Dead Wrestlers Society says:

I wouldn’t exactly call the kid an upstanding citizen either.

2. azntg says:

Sweet sweet vengeance… or is it?

3. snoop-blog says:

hackers do piss me off!!!!

4. mduser says:

I hate to see what they’ll do to those who download pr0n via bittorrent.

5. gamin says:

Hopefully comcast won’t pay for the “kid’s” broken x-box

6. NightSteel says:

It’s kind of funny. Just about any org that uses contract call centers to provide their support is adamant that their operators not reveal that they work for a third party, as if they will fool everyone into thinking those people actually work directly for their company. But the moment one of them screws up, oop, that guy worked for some other company, don’t blame us.

7. AMetamorphosis says:

Karma

8. TheBigLewinski says:

Good for the little hacker bastard, I hope his daddy whooped his ass good.

9. mduser says:

Oh, and real mature of the comcast guy to get bitchy when the kid calls him a fag, but then he refers to the packet flood folks as fags

10. The Cooler says:

Whatever. That forum post is total bullshit anyway.

11. A bittersweet victory for this guy, Im guessing.

I probably would have done the exact same thing in his shoes. What he did was a personal vendetta, but I don’t see him really doing anything wrong. Its not like he just switched them right off, he at least called first.

12. vicmasterinc says:

I love how he beats the shit out of his kid he didnt even know wtf he did and he breaks the xbox idgaf id start beating the shit out of daddy they can take the internet no one touches my XBAWKES

13. Coelacanth says:

If a Comcast customer is using their network for illegal packet-flooding, isn’t that reason enough to contact the customer and/or cut off service?

Assuming the Comcast employee was courteous to the parent and followed a reasonable protocol, what happened to the kid is the parent’s fault.

14. LetMeGetTheManager says:

This is not like me to say this…in fact this is my first time typing this…but…

PWNED!

15. NightSteel says:

@COELACANTH: Yes, but it wasn’t this particular employee’s job to do that, he went outside of his scope of responsibility. Not only that, but there are legal issues to consider as well; what if that kid’s father had been a lawyer and sued?

16. Falconfire says:

did he overstep his boundries? hell yes and deserves to be fired for it.

17. Tepoz says:

“With this power didn’t come the wisdom to avoid using a real name…” *sigh*

18. Jagzi11a says:

@snoop-blog: I guess if any of these people were “Hackers” then you would have a reason to be pissed at them.

19. Demonbird says:

Overloaded his xbox with data? WTF is this guy talking about? He probably got dropped from live while getting ripped on by these kids in halo 3, and decided to use his oh so mighty position at comcast to get revenge.

20. SonicMan says:

Well, there goes the only tech at Comcast that knew how things actually worked.

21. snoop-blog says:

@Jagzi11a: what are your talking about? im talking about the kid who was hacking.

22. valarmorghulis says:

tech support tier 2.5? i feel a spinal tap moment coming on here.

23. Demonbird says:

@Demonbird:
    ah Packet flood… didn’t hear of that till today.

24. backbroken says:

I call shenanigans on the whole thing.

25. Parting says:

The moral of the story : don’t brag online :)

Do IT quietly, and silently enjoy your vengeance +++

26. Demonbird says:

I hate to post a third time but this actually infuriates me. The guy got so angry over having a single game screwed up that he caused all this shit to happen to get revenge. This is just sick and wrong. I approve of people getting their comeuppance, but let people who’s job it is to do this do it.

27. rpm773 says:

Meh. The plight of the nerd and his nerd gear.

28. Yeah surprise surprise someone at a Internet provider knew what was going on. MS takes far to long to catch on to things like this, I got fed up with all the kiddie script newbs on the Halo side of things.

29. Caduceus says:

The child was involved in illegal activity. Is his monitoring of the activity through his Xbox legal? I’m pretty sure getting a phone number through his place of emply is illegal. I’m also pretty sure that threatening someone with removal of paid services is also illegal.

Don’t get me wrong, the kid got what he deserved, exploiting a system and such, but did this cross the line into vigilantism?

30. VTFootballGrad says:

The kid didn’t deserve to be beaten, but I think the Comcast guy did a good thing here and maybe some hackers will learn from this.

31. elf6c says:

I am so sick of April 1st

32. ChuckECheese says:

@Demonbird: Whose job is it? You mean the Revenge Squad? It’s okay if you post more than once. Really.

33. snoop-blog says:

@Demonbird: i don’t know about xbox, but on psp if you get booted from socom, it takes close to 10 mins to sign in, and find another game. it takes longer if your trying to start up a game. so if i start a game and if finally gets full, and then a hacker comes along and booted the whole room, it wastes up a lot of time, and effort. sux if you only have like an hour to play. then there’s the hackers that just cheat, and never die, when your actually trying to play the game the way it was intended to build up your stats. i can totally see how this guy got soo pissed.

34. B says:

This guy doesn’t strike me as particularly “elite” For one, his home network was vulnerable to the most basic of hacks, and his revenge was ratting the kid out to his parents.

35. Demonbird says:

@ChuckECheese:
    Leave it to XBL and/or Bungie to eventually sort this kind of stuff out. It’s just a game. I’m really hoping this guy faces more severe repercussions for this than he already has.

36. Trai_Dep says:

Script kiddy, so it’s not like the brat has any real skill.
    Technically, keeping it btn a brat and his dad isn’t violating any privacy policy, at least not any that’s defensible.
    Next time the tech should record the damn thing, and make a vid off of it.

37. Me - now with more humidity says:

It’s “wreak” not “rack”

38. snoop-blog says:

i love it when people say it’s just a game. no to you it’s just a game. to some people it’s more. it’s a hobby. if you built train sets and i came in and destroyed your badass setup, you’d be pissed. well not much different here.

39. Joafu says:

Ha, that is sweet vengeance.

40. Ex_EA_Slave says:

This sounds like an episode of The Equalizer. When you can’t find justice versus online punk kids, call The Equalizer. He’ll have their parents whack the living hell out of their asses! With the amount of juvenile delinquents on Xbox Live, he’d never be out of work.

41. dbson says:

Pwn3d.

42. Demonbird says:

@snoop-blog:
    It is very different here. With this, you play a game, after that the game is gone. with a model train set you can spend many many hours building something physical you can revisit and enjoy continuously. The game is forgotten when you start another one. the train set is still there when you walk away.
    If you spaz out about getting cheated in a game you have problems. I can understand being pissed off. I’ve been pissed about being cheated before, but going and doing something like this means you either have anger issues or you are an incredibly childish and imbalanced person.

43. seym0ur caKe says:

I’m glad he did… Cheaters on 360, or system or situation is unacceptable. If they cannot play on the same grounds as everybody else, they shouldn’t play.

44. snoop-blog says:

@Demonbird: i’m not justifying his actions, just his anger.

45. Demonbird says:

@snoop-blog:
    well then I don’t know about you but what would you really be more angry about? Getting cheated in one of the hundreds of games you played of Halo 3 or thee train set that you spent many many hours building and perfecting getting destroyed?

46. dorkins says:

Update: that sound wasn’t the Xbox breaking. It was the kid’s skull.

47. unklegwar says:

pls define “Rack Vengeance”. WTH is that?

48. unklegwar says:

now THAT’s good parenting. Bravo.

49. Kilnado says:

What a puss. Instead of using any knowledge at all this douche uses his little Comcast tools to find the kid and try to get even. Sounds like he isn’t that smart if he can’t take care of some packet flooding coming at him.

Just another worthless tech with 0 skill.

“…the top 1% elitist agents…” lol. This toolbag thinks he’s in The Matrix

If he got fired then I’m glad. He deserves to rot on the streets like the worthless piece of crap he is.

50. Tallanvor says:

@Komrade_Kayce: You really don’t see anything wrong with that? Seriously?

He used confidential information to threaten someone.

That alone is enough to warrant termination. If the rest of the story is true, it could be enough to place him in legal trouble as well.

51. snoop-blog says:

@Demonbird: its more like one of every 2 games you get a hacker in socom. it’s pretty rediculous. after you start a room, give it 30 mins tops, a hacker will join. but i don’t play halo, i play socom on psp. (i’m too cheap to get xbox, and i like the idea of being portable.)

52. Demonbird says:

@snoop-blog:
    Well that’s not how it is in halo. In fact, cheating in Halo 3 is pretty rare compared to halo 2. this guy just blw his top over something stupid.

53. Dag says:

I seriously doubt the kid was actually packet flooding.

54. backbroken says:

@unklegwar: ‘Rack vengeance’ is when I showed up at the prom with a Hooters waitress just to show up my ex-girlfriend.

55. Dobernala says:

Good. Its about time Comcast proactively do something to stop all the spam and junk coming from their network.

56. Anto103 says:

Well if the kid did attack the guy’s Xbox good enough for him, I know if I did something illegal when I was a kid, I wouldn’t just get a smack I would be at the local Garda station as well.

57. bobbylemon says:

I wonder if he worked at the Winnipeg Covergys location.

58. snoop-blog says:

@Demonbird: if you have a psp and want to be a hacker, that is pretty much all you need. between instructional vids on youtube, and websites that they refer you to, any joe schmoe could do if they wanted. i eventually figured if i can’t beat them than i’m going to join them, and learned how to do it myself. but i only use my hacks to boot other hackers, to kinda police who is playing in my games. i don’t cheat, and i don’t boot fair players. there is one other advantage to hacking a psp other than to cheat on games, downloading games for free and playing off your memory card. however that is illegal (obviously). but if you do, it adds thousands of $$$ to the value of your system console.

59. Demonbird says:

@snoop-blog:
    Yeah, I had enough of that with MGS PO online.

60. Anto103 says:

@Anto103: I should of added if the Comcast guy did break the law he also deserved to been punished maybe a slap on the wrist, but it seems he did lose his job, sadly for him, I suppose that’s the danger involved in bragging about your exploits online.

61. snoop-blog says:

@Demonbird: so do you have cfw? and how is the online play for that? how does it compare to socom ftb2?

62. snoop-blog says:

sorry to be more clear, do you have custom firmware, and how does mgs po play online. i wasn’t too impressed with the gameplay considering all the hype. i’m probably going to check out god of war first.

63. TruPhan says:

@Anto103: That seems to me where everything went wrong. I definitely would have sympathized more with the guy who got hacked if he didn’t go into a forum and brag about it like he did, and odds are that guy would still have his job while simultaneously succeeding in stopping some douche of a hacker.

64. Demonbird says:

@snoop-blog: I don’t have custom firmware yet, and have not played Socom. MGSPO online is pretty fun… provided you don’t get cheated which happens quite a bit.

65. I would have done the same thing if I could access the info. I would have covered my butt better so it couldn’t be linked back to me, nor would have I bragged about it to others.

66. forgottenpassword says:

video games is serious business.

But I gotta say … fucking with people online in games is fun as hell! Long ago I used to crash rooms at Msn’s “the zone” gaming website just for fun. Until it got so bad that it was basically revamped to where there were no chat lobbies anymore (basically ruining the whole website).

Good times, good times.

67. I’m going to be honest with you. I’m tired of those little, annoying, foul-mouthed, know-it-all, think-they-own-the-place, fanboyish, kids who think they’re better than everyone else. I’m going to be the one guy here who actually likes what just what happened. Though, calling wasn’t warranted… perhaps just an “inconvenient disruption of services…”.

68. Darkwish says:

@Falconfire: Agreed.

69. snoop-blog says:

@Demonbird: if your ever interested in putting custom firmware on your psp, email me if you want help. chadh@freedomautosales.us there are some cool apps out there for it, like psptube(watch and download youtube vids on psp), pspradio, pspmaps etc…

and if you like online games for psp, you should check out socom fbt2, (after i just bashed the amount of hackers on there). seriously though, there is usually around 5-10k players online at all times, and it’s really fun (when not being hacked). plus you can use mics to communicate (not sure if you can on mgs po)

70. BStu says:

Wow. A “blame everyone” post. Not a single person in this story is anything less than contemptable. You got the brat hacker who obviously is very wrong. You’ve got the jilted techie who abused his power and followed that up with being dumb enough to brag about it in a way that could identify him. Then you’ve got the brat hacker’s dad who is obviously a piece of work in his own right. Everyone’s wrong! Yay!

71. fuzzycuffs says:

I’m officially torn about this story.

Yes, I support privacy of customer data.

But I also support getting kids who “hack” (more like grief) off XBL, and having their Xboxs destroyed.

(the beatings were a bit much though)

72. snoop-blog says:

wow i’m amazed at the sheer number of gamers on the consumerist, wait, this wasn’t linked to kotaku was it?

73. Demonbird says:

@snoop-blog:
    It was.

74. @The Cooler:

Honestly, sounds like some nerd ass make believe.

By the way; I just won $87,347,349.00 and I totally hooked up with Swedish twin sisters!

75. jeff303 says:

Please, please don’t use the word “hacker” to describe either of these people. Hackers are mostly benevolent. [en.wikipedia.org]

76. I make $100 million per year. I’m Preston J. Berryworth the Third, and I think this kid looks like a no good punk ass. Hmmmm Yeeeeasss.

77. But my god was that some seriously hilarious ownage. It might have not been right, but deep down EVERYONE wants to do it.

@Falconfire: Pretty much.
    @fuzzycuffs: He told him his son was involved in illegal activities. That means police. I think that might induce the urge for the father to give his kid a well-deserved beating.

78. mgy says:

@jeff303: Even then, they aren’t hackers simply because there’s a computer involved. Seriously, I saw it posted here before, but it’s worth repeating.

If someone steals your identity by taking your wallet out of your car – they’re a common thief.

If someone employs a phishing program that they know nothing about to steal your identity – they’re suddenly a hacker genius.

Packet flooding, DDoSing, etc, has nothing to do with hacking. Neither does looking up someone’s freely available information when you’re in a position to do so. I have access to the grades, social security information, and a ton else of a major state university through my tech support job. If I were to use that information (obtained by simple searches), am I suddenly a hacker?

The thing is, these “hackers” don’t know anything about why packet flooding works, and they don’t care. In the haydays of sub7, they used to call them “script kiddies”, but I’m not sure what you’d say nowadays.

My point is this: computers do not instantly make being an annoying, ignorant little twat into some sort of psuedo-matthew broderick in ‘war games’-level hacking operation. Lord knows that people need to better understand computers, not dismiss them as impossible to learn It would certainly help out the tech support division.

Needless to say, this is a hilarious story.

79. Policroma says:

I’m with the bittersweet victory crowd. It’s the thing we all wish we had the guts to do, but are not willing to sacrifice our jobs for.

80. marzak says:

convergys…….hahaha. i hated working for convergys

81. cde says:

The guy probably wasn’t authorized to deal with TOS violations, but the kid did produce TOS violations, and informing the customer of said violations (or else) would normally be SOP….

Moral Dilemma much?

82. tricky69 says:

Like Chris Rock said, “I wouldn’t do it, but I understand”.

83. Pink Puppet says:

@jeff303: Even if it was just a skiddie, we’re all going to have to accept that it has become a common use of the word ‘hacker’. It’s bothersome, but it happens.

84. Tei says:

Good part:
    Script kiddie attacked THE WRONG GUY.

Very Good Part:
    Script kiddie got punished by GUY.

Ugly part:
    GUY got punished for this.

85. Tei says:

“the father began to yell at his son, i then heard a loud smack, and then sobbing, and then cracking noise ***PPPPPWWWWWNNNNDDDDDD!!!!!!!*** as if something was breaking..”

Here is, fixed for you.

86. amazinglarry says:

Is anybody else getting images of ‘A Christmas Story’ in their head after reading this?

87. KJones says:

If you work for Comcrap and know a Comcrap customer is doing something unethical or illegal, why would you not contact your superiors and handle it properly? If I knew a coworker were breaking the law, I sure as hell wouldn’t break the law or company policy to do something about it.

88. stacye says:

He works in tech support, gets packet flooded offline by some little kid, and then calls the kids parents to tell on him? WTF.

This “elitest agent” should have his tech cred revoked. That’s not how you handle this situation if you are a real geek.

89. chstwnd says:

“Rack Vegeneance”?

c’mon. you’ve got to be kidding. I’m assuming this was supposed to read “wreak vengeance”, but even that’s not grammatically correct. “wreak havoc” or “exact vengeance”. but not “rack vengeance”. c’mon, people. it’s bad enough that 1337 it taking over adolescent minds. Let’s not add to the confusion.

90. Cyfun says:

If only this guy hadn’t been a retard, and bragged about it more anonymously, this would have been an epic win.

Lusers who perform basic hacks such this on XBL think that the worst that could happen is that MAYBE they get their XBL account suspended. These people go through life knowing they can get away with crap like this because your average person has no way of tracking their IP. Of course Microsoft and the ISPs will do little to nothing, because they have to err on the side of legality, and plus they have better things to do than worry about a few script kiddies. Imagine how much it could cut down on hacking if these buttholes knew that there were vigilantes out there who could easily track down who they are. Wouldn’t be so confident about pissing off random people on the internet, would they?

91. Yes it’s against the privacy thing, but the kid had it coming to him for trying to “hack” someone else.

92. Wormfather says:

@Demonbird: Say what you will about my hobbies but one of them is World of Warcraft. If someone messed up my character, oh, there’d be hell to pay.

93. terraform says:

Yea i’m with the comcast guy on this one. Ditch the cap though.

94. lemur says:

@mgy: I made a point similar to yours in this comment:

[consumerist.com]

Now, to return to the general issue. Yes, cheaters are annoying but I don’t think it is okay for techs to abuse the power they have. It is a good idea to have dispassionate third parties look at the situation if only because someone in the throes of anger can easily make a mistake. And I think that’s actually the case here: the tech’s posting that story to a public forum was a mistake.

95. ninjatales says:

“Did you see me lay down the law? I am the law-giver!”

You get what you deserve and the kid totally deserved it.

96. Trai_Dep says:

Wait. So are the employees stabbing AND making out with the same person in the halls? Because that’s some kinky stuff…

97. Raziel66 says:

Thanks for posting that bong pic for me to see at work. I appreciate it. Really, I do.

98. snoop-blog says:

that bong is bad ass! man now i’m jonesin.

99. nequam says:

I call BS on the hearing the child abuse and xbox hammer-smashing.

100. Trai_Dep says:

As sucky as Valve is, one thing that’s nice about their system is that they’ll ban your entire Steam acc’t (used for a w-i-d-e variety of games) if they catch you cheating/griefing. All the lights go off. Permanently. And they catch a LOT of the lil script kiddies.
    More game publishers should be this medieval.

101. Trai_Dep says:

@Raziel66: For gods’ sake, you think the DEA will raid your workplace because you’ve viewed a picture of a guy bonging?
    Change your panties, because I’m pretty sure they’re damp now.

102. lonewolf333 says:

Vengeance like that is worth losing your job.

103. Allcars says:

I think what he did was wrong. yes but taught that smart little asshole a lesson did it not. don’t be a dick and you won’t get dicked.

104. alstein says:

The thing he got fired for wasn’t for calling the kid’s dad, it was for bragging about it and privacy violations. If tech support dude hadn’t burned out his braincells on weed and kept his cool, he could have kept his job.

The big issue is the dad abusing his kid possibly.

105. lonewolf333 says:

@dorkins: Even better

106. I really don’t see much wrong with what the employee (or ex-employee?) did. There are many other far worse things this guy could have done… Consider the following:

1. If he can find out a telephone number, he can also get the kid’s address. He could have paid a visit to the family and caused some rather serious problems that way.

2. If he had friends in other Comcast departments, he could have really frustrated the family. Depending upon who he knew, he may have been able to get their service disconnected, order (or at least get them billed for) premium services and pay-per-view stuff that they never ordered (imagine the problems this could cause)… maybe even created problems with their credit record (I assume that once you’re so far past due on a bill Comcast will turn you in to a collection agency, right?)

3. I assume he had (or had access to) the appropriate tools to create some nasty problems with their cable connection…

Faced with these options, all he did was call the parents and inform them that their little brat was doing nasty things with his toys. That seems rather harmless to me– and may have even been a favor to others, since I doubt he was the only one this little brat was bothering.

Personally I applaud this guy’s actions. The only person whose actions I like better are the father’s. Beat the living snot out of the kid, then smash his little toy. Hopefully that will teach his little brat a lesson he won’t soon forget.

107. @arstal: In today’s society we’re too weak on our kids and don’t punish them enough.

Done something bad? Well, well naughty boy… go to timeout and sit on your naughty stool for 5 minutes. That’s the most retarded concept I’ve ever heard.

What’s wrong with a little paddling every now and then when your child misbehaves? We used to to do it our schools and it used to be acceptable at home, but now that some little namby pamby bleeding heart liberals tell us that it’s a bad thing to do we avoid it like the plague.

No wonder we have a society of witless freaks who are afraid of war, offending anyone, and things that go bump in the night. No wonder we have a society where patriotism is laughed at, and it’s OK for a presidential candidate to refuse to wear an American flag label pin or place his hand on heart in respect. No wonder we continue to lose a national identity as people call themselves a “whatever-hyphenated”-American instead of just a plain American.

Now, this kid probably doesn’t deserve to be physically beaten, but he does deserve some paddling. And he does deserve to have his Xbox taken away from him. I’ll admit, though, that it probably wasn’t the brightest idea to smash it– if I were the father I’d have taken it away from him and sold it on eBay instead. There’s not much sense in smashing something into pieces when you can at least get a little money for it. Either way the kid is punished…

108. LionelEHutz says:

Looks like the one who will get owned is the Comcast contractor who, in the end, might have more trouble than just not having a job. I see paying for a new Xbox and a bout of community service in his near future.

109. LionelEHutz says:

@Trai_Dep: The DEA won’t do a thing here since the Comcast peon is in Canada.

110. ERMC says:

the kid got what he deserved and the so did the tech for bragging about it. The kid probably will never cheat online again and that guy won’t brag about doing illegal activities again.

111. capnjack says:

Hahah oh wow. Pwned?

Also, using your power to pick on the weak is just wrong.

112. Konchu says:

A little funny to see a cheater punished. But he shouldn’t have step across that border of customer trust. He basically gave up his job for vengeance. When he could have tried to go about addressing this through the proper means. Now this family has a case against him and comcast.

But if you have to get back at someone at least be sneaky about it. Which is hard to do yourself without getting you self in the same trouble the person that offended you did. Best to just try and log the attack if your equipment allows and report it proper like they loose there account and you get vengeance and no laws were broke though admittedly harder to pull off as you probably are not always logging traffic to idetify the IP origin of the attack. But even reporting the user will eventually work as I’m sure you are not the only one this kid pulled that crap with.

113. Trai_Dep says:

@LionelEHutz: Aww, hell, CANADA?! Jeez, the police will probably show up just so they can smoke some too. Meant in a good way, of course.

114. Osi says:

What the worker did was 100% morally right. That kid deserved to get the sh*t beaten out of him. Hell, I will help. Hackers are criminals and should be burned at the stake.

Too bad the hero got fired. But it’s comcast. And everybody knows that Comcast is a front for crime.

115. Trai_Dep says:

@BimmerConsumerist: Yeah, because lying to get us in a war that murders over 4,000 servicemen, millions of Iraqis and steals $3 trillion from unborn children is perfectly excusable if you wear a shiny US flag on your lapel.
    It’s “patriots” like yourself that have enabled turning the US into being an indebted, second-rate country for the rest of the century. Thanks!

116. ChuckECheese says:

@unklegwar: Rack vengeance is vengeance you get at the department store, rather than having the vengeance custom-made. Sometimes custom-made vengeance is referred to as “bespoke vengeance.”

117. @Trai_Dep: We didn’t lie to go into the war. And yes, I support it. I supported it from day one, and will continue to do so until our objectives are achieved.

While he may not have always made the best of choices, at least President Bush is patriotic. That’s one of the qualities I look for in a president. If a person doesn’t care enough about our country or respect it enough to want to wear a flag or show proper signs of respect and courtesy, then that person doesn’t deserve a leadership role. That seems to be one of the key things that supporters of certain candidates lack these days– a fundamental understanding of respect for our country (or just plain respect in general). Hopefully that will change.

As for our indebtedness, please go take at least a basic macroeconomics class. Once you do, you’ll understand that much of the worry and rhetoric surrounding our national debt is filled with inaccuracies. There’s more scare tactic than truth in what’s being said by certain candidates these days.

Anyway, my money should be used for other more important things than paying down a debt than can be left to future generations– I’d like to buy a second vehicle and a vacation home on Maui. Maybe after getting those I’ll care a little about it… No, then I’ll just to decorate both of my homes with more, better, expensive stuff! ;-)

118. cde says:

@BimmerConsumerist: Where are those pesky WMDs then?

119. @cde: I assume you don’t remember the SCUD missiles from the first Gulf War then? They didn’t just go away. There were reasons that Saddam wasn’t allowing inspections of his country– and it wasn’t just because of the facilities set up to torture his citizens, train terrorists, and aid enemies of the United States.

Have you been in Iraq? Do you know what you’re talking about? Or are you just blindly following what the mainstream media, with its own liberal agenda, is telling you– like many Americans do these days?

By doing what we’ve done we’ve made America a safer place. How many massive, successful terrorist attacks have happened on American soil since 9/11/01? I’d say that Bush’s strategy of presenting a good offense is working rather well. And even if we’ve got to step on a few toes in the process, it’s worth it.

I’d rather fight them on foreign soil than run back to the US and fight them here some day. Some candidates in this election seem to be embarassed by their association with America. Some would like to end this war at any cost, no matter how high. Some would capitulate and let the terrorists turn America into an Islamic state, just because they are afraid of “offending” somebody or some group. Some don’t understand the consequences of using a failed “can’t we all just get along?” approach which has never worked.

And then there are others– ones with leadership and legislative experience, war experience, and qualifications to be Commander-in-Chief of our military. Granted, McCain isn’t my first choice for a “conservative” candidate, but among the three liberals running this time he’s the least distasteful. The other two are just….pitiful and inexperienced.

120. WasabiJoe says:

@BimmerConsumerist:
    Hey, I would be an American if all the surveys and people on the street didn’t make a distinction between myself and other “Americans”. I was born in Arizona people!

That said, this is all going woefully off-topic.
    The tech shouldn’t have been looking up personal info and bragging about how he could get credit card info and such. Another case of our internet society.

121. alstein says:

@BimmerConsumerist:

The fact that he took a hammer to a $350 piece of equipment instead of reselling it if needed shows anger issues, which could lead to abuse. Also the fact he hit the kid without an explanation that quickly- another warning sign. Not saying whipping is necessarily bad- but there are warning signs there.

122. mechanismatic says:

So am I the only person who takes pity on the kid? He’s young and stupid and immature. That’s what being a kid is about. What he did was no worse than prank calling or buying alcohol with a fake i.d. It’s the adult gamer who should have been mature and not taken it personally. It is just a game. And smashing a train set that someone spent time and effort working on is significantly different than keeping someone from being able to play a session of a game. You lose something of value, something physical when the train set is destroyed.

Let’s look at this from a different perspective. What if the guy had looked up the wrong account. Or what if the actual kid who did it was visiting at his friend’s house and his friend got beaten for it? How cool is that?

Bottom line, don’t play online if you can’t play nice. Get cheaters booted, not beaten.

The tech deserved to be fired and arrested for complicity in an assault.

123. Oryx says:

I’m amazed to see so many people claim that what happened to the child is such a good thing.

So an adolescent figured out how to packet flood an xbox. That’s hardly hacking, and should never be punished as such. It definitely didn’t warrant ANY sort of physical violence.

It also definitely didn’t warrant the HUGE invasion of privacy perpetrated by this contract clown. For every person here who got what he deserves, how would you like it if “Mark” got angry that you beat him at every single game the two of you played on xbox live, and decided to look up your personal information and act as both judge and jury in a decision he has absolutely no right to make?

Lastly, let us not forget that the poor judgment of a child executing a silly internet trick is forgivable. Whereas an adult behaving in the manner of “Mark” is completely inexcusable.

124. unravel says:

@mechanismatic: I feel no sympathy for the kid at all, but I’m not buying a good portion of the story as it’s told. The slap, the hammer attack on the console… seem like sensationalized fiction, rather than things that actually occurred. The tech posted what he did because he wanted attention/praise/respect, and people who need those things from people on the internet usually have no qualms going overboard to get it.

125. nequam says:

@BimmerConsumerist: (1) What are our “objectives”? and (2) SCUDS are not WMD.

126. ninjatales says:

@BimmerConsumerist: STFU with your stupid political diatribes.

This is a fckn topic about a Comcast tech who taught an idiot a lesson. If you’re into blaming EVERYTHING towards the lefties, go and post your problems on a supportive political blog. Some retards just cant read the topic even when it’s clearly spelled out for them. It’s scary to know that they’re even allowed to log onto the internet.

Stupid POS!

127. cde says:

@BimmerConsumerist: Scuds are not WMDs. Limited range and limited blasting power. A scud cannot kill 10,000 people or more people. A scud does not leave an area useless for years on end. A scud cannot be spread by people moving around while infected.

And last everyone agreed, the 9-11 hijackers had 0 (ZERO) connection with Iraq. If they did, why has the Bush Administration changed their stance from WMD to Terrorist Hunting to Liberating the People? because they are full of shit, and you, you’re blindly following the administration’s ultra-republican agenda. How many small terrorist attacks have happened since 9/11 then, since you specifically disinclude them in your question? Better yet, how many Massive Successful terrorist attacks happened since BEFORE bush came into power? Oklahoma, with a DOMESTIC terrorist.

128. ChuckECheese says:

@lemur: People who do drugs don’t have the best impulse control. I think that explains both the bong and the vegeneance upon the child spoiling his games. More importantly, who knew that Canada had wiggaz? Or is he more of a vato?

129. skilled1 says:

@Demonbird:
    packet flooding. look into it shitbird before continuing to talk.

130. Demonbird says:

@skilled1:
    If you had read no a couple posts further you would have seen I posted about that. Now, kindly go learn how to talk and act like a decent human being.