Best Buy Provides Excellent Customer Service!

You don’t become the number one retailer of electronics to American consumers without getting a few things right awesome, as Daniel shows us in this letter of compliment he sent The Conglomerist about a recent experience at Best Buy:

I stopped in the other night because my old HD DVD player died so I went in hoping to get a deal. On the shelf I found 2 open box Toshiba HD-A30 HD DVD players. Looking around I found the department head Derrik and we went back over to the DVD player aisle.

He tells me that since they’re open box he’ll sell one for $99 which, IMO, isn’t bad it was $30 off their normal price and $20 off Amazon’s price…

So I bit. He headed off to find the remote and power cable, but he came back empty empty handed and expected me not to be interested. I told him I’d still buy one if he could go any lower since I had plenty of power cables and I’ve had a Logitech Harmony remote. So he took it down to $50.

Still missing an HDMI cable he was quick to recommend me one, but I told him no thanks and I’d just grab one off monoprice.com, which he said he was well aware of since he read about them on Consumerist.

I know Best Buy gets a pretty bad rap around here, but I’ve always had good experiences with my local store. So I just wanted to pass this along.

Thanks!

Daniel

That’s great to hear, Daniel! I hope you also bought the extended warranty to show your appreciation to the Derrik. The one part where you fall down is the HDMI cable. I’m going to go out on a limb and figure that Derrik probably recommended you buy a Monster Cable. Shame on you for buying one of those cheap knockoff cables on Monoprice.com. There’s two reasons why Monster Cables are awesome for your home theater system:

1) The ends are covered in gold. Gold makes everything better. You should see what it does for bricks.
2) The price. The higher an item’s price, the higher its quality.

Irregardless of your blunder, congrats on your successful purchase and the excellent customer service provided by the Best Buy associate who, by giving you the discount, might just as well have cut out his heart and given it to you on a golden platter. Don’t be alarmed by the macabre imagery, BBY employees undergo special training that allows them to regrow their hearts overnight. That’s how they’re able to care so much.

Comments

1. B says:

April Fools, right?

2. WhirlyBird says:

This was a better April Fool’s joke than the Conglomerist.

3. HannerHearse says:

Whatever, Consumerist is useless today. I’m out.

4. Nice photo.

5. RandoX says:

HD-DVD? They on the back shelf with the laserdisc and betamax machines? I’ll have to ask the Derrik about that.

6. WNW says:

“Irregardless”

7. Barbarisater says:

Daniel was too willing to give in to obsolete technology. Now he just needs to run out to Wal-Mart and pick up some half price HD DVD’s.

BTW, I have a BetaMax that I am willing to part with.

8. Veeber says:

I think the OP sounds genuine, but I would imagine the comment by Conglomerist isn’t.

On a side note
    “Irregardless? That’s not even a real word. You’re affixing the negative prefix ‘ir-‘ to ‘regardless’, but, as ‘regardless’ is already negative, it’s a logical absurdity!” – Steve

9. missdona says:

@Chris Vee: Irregardless is my second favorite non-word, the first (of course) is “alot.”

10. Gev says:

The horse has been beaten, liquified, and the container that it was stored in has been recycled. Give it a rest already.

11. 12-Inch Idongivafuck Sandwich says:

@missdona: It is one of my favorite non-words/phrases as well…I love to say it to people and see how they react…

12. friendlynerd says:

The girl in that picture is getting very up close and personal with the boy on the left.

13. EmperorOfCanada says:

Come on guys, if you hate it that much then check back tomorrow. Let the guys have their fun, and I thought this one personally was the best yet.

14. EmperorOfCanada says:

On a side note, isnt that the guy from high school musical?

15. Diet-Orange-Soda says:

As an aside, I received my message a few days ago from Best Buy about the $50 gift card for buying the Xbox HD DVD drive.

16. mgy says:

@HannerHearse: Someone is a grumpy gus. Jesus christ, man.

17. Diet-Orange-Soda says:

@EmperorOfCanada: Are these joke posts being deleted tomorrow? Seems like clutter to me. Though Kotaku has been the worst by far. I checked once today an the entire first page was littered with cake stories. It might be fun for the bloggers but the novelty wears quickly.

18. Bladefist says:

lol there are some really boring people who read this blog.

19. mgy says:

@EmperorOfCanada: It’s actually Walter Emanuel Jones, Black Ranger of Power Rangers fame.

I guess.

20. dmk2113 says:

ï¼ everyone

Irregardless actually is a word. It is a synonym for regardless and is considered non-standard but acceptable.

21. Diet-Orange-Soda says:

@mgy: Haha. Petsmart for the win!

22. B says:

@Chris Vee: irregardless is a perfectly cromulent word.

23. uberbucket says:

Stop thumbing my genitalia lady…

24. Recury says:

What has two thumbs and likes to rock out at Best Buy?

25. gskelding says:

i really, really, REALLY hate reading articles that use the word ‘irregardless’

26. sparklingpink says:

@HannerHearse:

I’m with you on that one.

27. Gabinha says:

I love Best Buy, they always say Hello when you walk in!

28. lonewolf333 says:

BS

29. Angryrider says:

What a cheap customer. I’m really outraged by his choice to not buy those monster cables. Another reason, Monster cables cause your equipment to either grow to monstrous size or turn into were-cars.

30. humorbot says:

Under what circumstances was that photo taken? Those multicultural people love Best Buy! They’re even trying to dance.

31. ManPurse says:

@Chris Vee: OK I’ve been trying to figure this out on my own since I started coming to this blog, but I admit defeat…

What in thee hell does OP stand for?

Anyone?

32. OP = original poster

33. ChadSteelgate says:

@ManPurse: Original Poster.

34. quickkick says:

@HannerHearse: Wow, lighten up already. It’s been going on all day, and yet you keep commenting on the fact. Three different articles in fact. If you won’t want to read all of the April’s fools articles today, then don’t read the site today, as it’s pretty obvious it’s going to continue.

And @ Cris Vee. OP stands for Original Poster, so the person in this case would be the one who sent in the Best Buy article. Although, since this is a fake article, it’s probably not really true.

35. parad0x360 says:

This post raises an interesting question. Lets say you do buy a hd-dvd player and get the service plan and your player breaks. Best Buy is suppose to replace the player but what happens when in 4 months they have none?

Will they replace it with a blu-ray player or just refund your money? How do they handle dead tech? Will they even sell a plan on the item?

36. @friendlynerd: the thumb pointing means… “Yeah, I did ‘em”

37. B says:

@parad0x360: They would credit the price of the HD-DVD player you bought towards the purchase of a blu ray player. If you chose not to buy a blu ray, you could probably get a gift card for the purchase price.

38. evslin says:

Meh. Should have called off the gags at 10am like Kotaku did.

39. friendlynerd says:

@alphafemale:

Or maybe it’s some kind of Lynndie England-style mocking of that boy’s genitals.

40. @gskelding: I’ve seen it in every post today…. thinkin’ maybe it’s part of the jokiness.

My favorite nonwords are
    ‘supposively or supposably’ instead of supposedly

41. ManPurse says:

@alphafemale: @ChadSteelgate: Thank you! All I could come up with was Opressive Person a la Tom Cruise and Scientology…

42. zara_h says:

Irregardless is like “flammable” and “inflammable” — they mean the same thing. Like Dr Nick says, “What a country!”

43. That-Dude says:

@parad0x360: Same thoughts have crossed my mind. I assume they probably give you credit up to the amount of the purchase, which may or may not be a good thing depending on the price of the product.

CC has a no lemon policy and I used that thing to death. It was basically like pre-purchasing the ability to upgrade yearly.

44. kilrathi says:

If you can’t stand the April Fools jokes, go into a 24 hour coma?

45. Due to the positivist nature of defining the right and wrongs of language, if people keep using “irregardless,” it’ll actually become a word in a couple of generations. Sort of like “Octopi.” Drives me crazy, but what can ya do?

46. ? graffiksguru says:

This must be an april fools joke, a GOOD customer service story, with the words Best Buy in it? Has hell frozen over?

47. spinachdip says:

@B: This post should embiggen the smallest man.

48. teh says:

@B: Hearing you say that embiggens my soul.

49. teh says:

@spinachdip: Darn you and your being half a second faster!

50. AHammer says:

I agree, either a april fools joke or hell HAS frozen over.

51. unholycinna says:

I thought the part about growing a new heart because they care so much was brilliant!

52. Traveshamockery says:

It’s funny that everyone seems to think this story is fabricated simply because something positive happened at Best Buy.

53. DeafLEGO says:

This is the BEST April Fools joke all day! Thanks!

54. fuzzymuffins says:

the picture ALONE was worth the click.

gold makes everything better~

55. @mgy: The commenter takes himself too seriously meethinks.

56. @humorbot: I’m guessing alcohol. Lots and lots of alcohol.

And free Monster Cables.

57. SOhp101 says:

This april fools was much better than the conglomerist one. props.

58. LeopardSeal says:

@alphafemale: I love using “irregardless”. But that’s still better than a friend of mine who used to refer to his “supposable” thumbs which made him superior to the lowly animals. He loved to see who would get bent out of shape about that.

59. toddiot says:

Ba dum pish.

60. Hmmm…. I smell either A) A really well played April Fools Day slaughter, or B) A BBY salesman writing a good PR BBY story.

How whimsical.

61. @Gev: But recycled horse is great for the skin!

62. @A.W.E.S.O.M.-O: or the phrase “in actuality”.

63. pecheckler says:

Ya know from his sales managers point of view he did everything wrong, and if you submitted a compliment to corporate he will probably get chewed out for it.

He discounted an open box item below margin.
    He didn’t counter your comment to purchasing an accessory (HDMI cable) elsewhere.
    And from the looks of it he probably wasn’t pushy with a product warranty coverage.

He should have tried to up-sell you to a combination Blueray/HD-DVD player or at least get you to buy a warranty since you said your prior one broke.

64. Dan8585 says:

@EmperorOfCanada:

HAHAHA I was just thinking that dude…It totally looks like a scene from Retail Musical to me!

65. Alexander says:

@HannerHearse: The entire internet is useless today. I hate April Fool’s.

66. Benny Gesserit says:

@dmk2113: Acceptable by who, exactly?

The word he needs is “irrespective.” Use it, love it, make it yours.

67. @zara_h: ILU Chad Steelgate … with a name like that I bet you get all the conglomeration loving chicks :D

Ohhh yeahhhh, I’d cong the hell out of his lomeration.

68. Joafu says:

@HannerHearse: Haha

69. sean77 says:

@A.W.E.S.O.M.-O: If “irregardless” becomes a real word, I’ll have to start using “disregardless”.. just for fun.

70. faust1200 says:

Most of you couldn’t give a care less but I think we are all in agreeance that irregardless of whether or not “irregardless” is a word, if it is good enough for Chad Steelegate then evidentially it is good enough for me. So maybe it’s time we get orientated to the Conglomerist way .

71. ChadSteelgate says:

@HannerHearse: The blog is now called Conglomerist. Please refrain from using the term The Consumerist. We have acquired exclusive copyright over that term and object to your nonauthorized use.

72. Jenna says:

Irregardless!

73. pigeonpenelope says:

@rosiered: haha! i can’t say anything better than that.

74. I Am the Cheese says:

@AbsoluteIrrelevance: Definitely. Everytime I go to Best Buy, I see employees jumping up and down, just dying to help poor confused customers.

75. mikecolione says:

I think if any company really wanted to make a statement in today’s economy they should have topless female workers. Imagine the amount of sales they would have from males of all ages! HAHA

Seriously… It would be killer!

76. forgottenpassword says:

I actually got treated decently after a a screwup by best buy about 9 months ago. I ordered two 25 dollar gift cards online from them (I converted over two 25 dollar simon gift cards I had got recently in an online promotion into two 25 dollar best buy cards)…. and they didnt arrive. I called best buy cust. service & told them i didnt recieve the cards I bought. They cancelled the old cards, sent me the new ones & as an apology they gave me a twenty dollar online credit ($10 for each card). I used them to buy a video game that was about $22 shipping included.

Not bad.

77. Crazytree says:

the black guy in that photo looks EXACTLY like the guy who stole my bike in 2002 and totalled it.

this is not an april fool’s joke.

the city attorney decided not to press charges so I went after him in small claims for the damage… got a judgment and they suspended his license until he started making payments.

78. @Crazytree: erm… thank you for sharing?

79. Spooty says:

@ManPurse: The term they (Scientology) use is actually “Suppressive Person”, and they do use the acronym “SP” too….