Dr Pepper Promises Free Soda For Almost Everyone In US If Axl Rose Will Release "Chinese Democracy" This Year

Yeah, it’s a PR stunt—but a funny one, especially because the only two people excluded by Dr Pepper’s pledge are “estranged GNR guitarists Slash and Buckethead.” Someone in the Dr Pepper PR department really likes Axl Rose. Rose says neither he nor his label are in cahoots with Dr Pepper, and that he’d share his drink with Buckethead because “some of Buckethead’s performances are on our album.”

“Official Dr Pepper Press Release” [Blogspot]

Comments

1. LetMeGetTheManager says:

Axl Rose is still alive? Dr. Pepper is still around? Who knew?

2. unklegwar says:

I’d hardly call Buckethead a GnR guitarist. Izzy and Duff, now those are GnR Crew. Buckethead was a 2nd try hire-on.

3. B says:

I look forward to drinking a Dr. Pepper while listening to Chinese Democracy and playing Duke Nukem Forever.

4. mduser says:

If this actually happens, could I have Dublin Dr Pepper instead?

[www.dublindrpepper.com]

Cane Sugar instead of HFCS FTW!!

5. harshmellow says:

I think they’ve stumbled upon something here. It will be the new trend in ad campaigns — calling formerly famous recluses out of their bunkers and into the light. Who’s next, John Hughes? Oh wait, Defamer is the one calling John Hughes out of his bunker…

6. harshmellow says:

@mduser: I read somewhere that if you buy a regular Coke in the plastic bottle and it has a yellow cap on it, it is Kosher and has real sugar instead of HFCS. I have never had one of these, but I hear they taste WAY better! Anyone know if this is true?

7. smitty1123 says:

Yum. Carbonated prune juice.

8. randombob says:

@harshmellow:
    Yeah! And also, if you find a Tootsie Pop with an indian shooting a star you get a free one!

9. B says:

@harshmellow: Only during passover.

10. Awww, good old Buckethead:

Ozzy Osbourne: I tried out that Buckethead guy. I met with him and asked him to work with me but only if he got rid of the fucking bucket. So I came back a bit later and he’s wearing this green fucking Martian’s-hat thing. I said, ‘Look, just be yourself!’ He told me his name was Brian, so I said that’s what I’d call him. He says, ‘No one calls me Brian except my mother.’ So I said, ‘Pretend I’m your mum then!’ I haven’t even got out of the room and I’m already playing fucking mind games with the guy. What happens if one day he’s gone and there’s a note saying, ‘I’ve been beamed up?’ [Laughs] Don’t get me wrong, he’s a great player. He plays like a motherfucker! [www.roadrunnerrecords.com]

11. @harshmellow: Yes, but it’s only sold during passover. Thankfully for me, I live in a border state. HEB, the best grocery store ever, stocks imported Coke because Mexicans are too smart to drink our corny version.

12. @randombob: Actually you need five. That’s what my brother said, anyways.

13. nikkomorocco says:

@Michael Belisle: those sorts of stories are the reason i put up with ozzy doing that godawful tv show of us.

14. Leiterfluid says:

I saw Buckethead play with “Guns N’ Roses” a few years back in Tacoma. It was a surprisingly good show, but it had the benefit of being early enough in the “tour” that Axl’s “voice” hadn’t gone to crap yet.

15. BlackBirdTA says:

@mduser: I’m with you. Next time I’m in Dublin, I’ll ask if they’re participating.

16. Moosehawk says:

@harshmellow: The only difference is, Axl Rose said Chinese Democracy was going to be out two years ago.

Axl Rose isn’t exactly one to keep to appointments. There was supposed to be a big concert here in Minneapolis last(?) year and Axl ended up canceling it a few days prior.

17. Castille says:

Mmmmmmm. Dublin Dr. Pepper! I won’t even drink the regular kind any more.

18. CaptZ says:

I other news, Pepsi said that they will give everyone in the US a Free Mountain Dew if Britney Spears doesn’t release another CD.

19. Superawesomerad says:

So is he implying with the Buckethead comment that the fucking album will finally come out this year? That thing needs to drop (and presumably suck) so I can finally stop giving a shit about Axl Rose.

20. Televiper says:

You really have wonder if Chinese Democracy is really some elaborate practical joke.

21. Traveshamockery says:

I went to a basketball game once and they ran a contest where if the home team hit 8 or more 3 pointers in the game, everyone would get a free taco from Taco Bell.

By the time they had 7 3′s, everybody was on their feet during each home team posession, chanting “TACO, TACO, TACO!!!”.

With three minutes left…FREE TACOS!!!! The crowd went wild.

22. Megladon says:

I have the CD Chinese Democracy in my appt right now. Infact I have 2 copys, both I bought here in china (go figure on that one, and that has to be the funniest part). I wonder if I send a copy to the folks at dr pepper that would count?

PS Yes i can provide picture proof (just not this sec)

23. volks73 says:

Apparently, this PR stunt is from Ketchum, Inc’s new Zocalo Group: [www.ketchum.com]

24. Mr. Gunn says:

Yes! Finally a company that knows how to put their money to good use!

25. trujunglist says:

@InfiniTrent:

Wow, that brings back memories of a VERY long time ago going to the University of Arizona basketball games. If the Cats would get to 100, everyone would get a coupon for a personal pan pizza. Needless to say, the Cats were winning a lot back then, but we still only got 1-2 pizzas out of ‘em.

26. Dennis says:

I wonder which will come first, GNR Chinese Democracy, Duke Nukem Forever, or actual Chinese democracy.

I’m betting on a democracy in China.