AT&T Says It Can't Find Enough Skilled US Workers To Fill 5,000 Jobs

Here’s some depressing news. AT&T’s CEO says his company is having trouble finding enough skilled workers in the United States to fill the 5,000 jobs he promised to bring back to this country.

“We’re having trouble finding the numbers that we need with the skills that are required to do these jobs,” AT&T Chief Executive Randall Stephenson told a business group in San Antonio, where the company’s headquarters is located.

So far, only around 1,400 jobs have been returned to the United States of 5,000, a target it set in 2006, the company said, adding that it maintains the target.

Stephenson said he is especially distressed that in some U.S. communities and among certain groups, the high school dropout rate is as high as 50 percent.

“If I had a business that half the product we turned out was defective or you couldn’t put into the marketplace, I would shut that business down,” he said.

Gone are the days when AT&T and other U.S. companies had to hire locally, he said.

“We’re able to do new product engineering in Bangalore as easily as we’re able to do it in Austin, Texas,” he said, referring to the Indian city where many international companies have “outsourced” technical and customer support workers.

“I know you don’t like hearing that, but that’s the way it is,” he said.

That’s sad.

AT&T CEO says hard to find skilled U.S. workers [Yahoo!] (Thanks, Cannon!)

Comments

1. Tux the Penguin says:

He has a point about the dropouts… and just as good of a point about outsourcing. Not to mention, those outsourced jobs are a lot cheaper.

2. sleze69 says:

Is he saying that we don’t have enough engineers or that we don’t have enough customer service reps?

He’s correct that there is a shortage of American engineers/computer scientists.

He’s nuts if he thinks there’s not enough for customer service.

3. pendroid3000 says:

I’m going to go ahead and call “bullshit” on this assertion.

4. DCGaymer says:

*cough*Bullshit*Cough….He obviously means at their rate of pay.

5. LionelEHutz says:

Read that as AT&T can’t find enough skilled workers in the US who want to work at Bangalore wages.

6. legwork says:

He mentioned new product engineering so I almost feel safe assuming he meant engineering grads. Still, it would be nice to see the job descriptions and what they’re offering to fill those 5000 seats.

7. WhirlyBird says:

@sleze69: And when you hire unedumacated dropouts to work in your call center, we get to hear about it on Consumerist!

8. No engineers in the U.S? Bullshit! He’s just looking for an excuse to justify outsourcing. This crap makes me so relieved to be studying for a field that cannot be outsourced. [Hopefully]

9. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

Even if it is customer service reps, a high school drop out might not be a good candidate to help you decode your bills…and if they are being paid high school drop out rates, they might not care enough to give you the customer service you’d like.

10. CRNewsom says:

@legwork: Exactly, I haven’t seen any postings from them on the engineering related sites I visit regularly. Maybe I’m visiting the wrong sites…

11. zentec says:

I hope he realizes that *everything* can be outsourced — including CEOs. I rather like the Japanese method of corporate leadership; they don’t get paid so much and if there are rough spots, they appear to me to to resign in shame.

12. savvy9999 says:

@LionelEHutz: EXACTLY.

Hmmm… pay Vikram $18k a year, or Jessica $55k? Yep, definitely can’t find enough engineers!

In his own state, UT,A&M, Rice and SMU together probably graduate enough engineers in one year to fill his entire quota.

13. azntg says:

Here’s the problem: Companies have a history of making the same blanket claim as justification to outsource. I can’t take it at face value anymore.

The way I see things, in a grossly oversimplified series of events: Companies got attracted to the low-wages, high skills personnel overseas. Replacement followed. Subsequently, demand for that particular field fell in the States. People stopped training for that field. Company comes back a decade later and finds out that there’s not enough homegrown talent as a result of their actions. Back to square one, go back to low-wage overseas personnel.

14. bohemian says:

Hmm. Maybe I can solve his “problem”. In Sioux Falls, SD there is a steady supply of people with CSR experience and the dropout rate is extremely low in the state. There are even a few empty CSR buildings around town as some of the smaller credit card companies went out. There are also 5 colleges within a commute, lots of students looking for off hours jobs. We also have a pretty decent comp sci program at one of the state schools and the other two have related tech programs. Oh and between Sioux Falls & Sioux City (75 miles) there are tons of former or soon to be former Gateway workers, mostly in the higher up positions.
    Median home price $137,000
    Median income $55,000

They show up here and pay $15 an hour for a CSR they will have people beating down their door.
    [www.siouxfallsdevelopment.com]

Anyone have this rocket scientists email address?

15. llcooljabe says:

Obviously some commenters are unware of the runaway wage inflation in Bangalore.

The shortage of qualified workers is not bullshit, but a very real concern that has been voiced by the likes of Bill Gates just 2 weeks ago.

16. bohemian says:

@zentec: Outsource CEO’s to Japan or to (IIRC) Sweden where there are controls on how much a CEO can be paid compared to the low level employees. It would save a ton of money for shareholders!

17. bohemian says:

@llcooljabe: If by that you mean someone with an MIS willing to work for $10 an hour you would be correct, there is a shortage of those.

18. tme2nsb says:

At our ATT Mobility call center, churn is like 70%, and less than 1% of all employees have been there more than a year, so yeah, I can understand this. Starting pay at the OKC Quail Call Center is 10.50 an hour – I have been there for THREE YEARS, and I am only making 11.86 an hour – but that’s not the part I am complaining about because cost of living is very nice here in Oklahoma…

19. llcooljabe says:

@bohemian:

No, I mean developers and upper level engineers. Do your research.

20. RogerDucky says:

Shortage of qualified engineers with the exact skill set companies want and can start working effectively from day one, who are young enough, and does not have a break in their work history (any break of more than 4 weeks) does indeed exist.

But, is that a realistic way to view the labor pool? Is it really sensible to offer no training and expect people to know exactly what you are doing — even rejecting those who have similar training to what you wanted? (e.g. “Oh. You know software package XYZ version 3.0? Sorry, we’re looking for people who knows software package XYZ version 3.1.”)

Silly companies.

21. JAGUARE1 says:

Hear is the answer to his problem, Hire back the 5,000 of the 20,000 they have laid off in the last few years. oops I’m sorry they would be required to pay them a living wage.

22. Darkwish says:

@LionelEHutz: My thoughts exactly.

23. l951b951 says:

@DCGaymer: I came here to say that. What he means is, AT&T can’t fill the jobs as cheaply as they would like. The US has plenty of people skilled to do the jobs he’s referring to, but they expect to be paid for that skill level, something AT&T doesn’t want to do.

24. Consumer11 says:

Help Wanted: Looking for MIT grads who can be compared to inanimate objects for further research in Bangalore India. Sorry prospects, we tried for Austin Texas but our CEO can’t get the monkey off his back.

25. lizk says:

It’s always difficult to find qualified workers when you aren’t paying a living wage.

26. DIrEctQL says:

That’s a lot of bull. What the companies really want is to bring a lot of these workers from other countries on a visa so they can pay them peanuts and use them as slaves. That is why they claim there aren’t enough skilled workers.

On the other hand because there really isn’t a need for skilled workers in the US and all you hear about is layoffs and outsourcing a lot of college students aren’t interested in IT.

The so called skilled workers from other countries aren’t necessarily better or more knowledgeable. In fact, they’re education is way more questionable. I haved worked with a lot of people on work visa and I must say only 10% seem to know what they are really doing. All of them get paid almost 35% of what I get. As soon as they get a green card they are out of the company to make more money.

I blame the very same companies that claim there aren’t enough skilled workers in US for the decline in IT education.

27. sleze69 says:

@CRNewsom: @BayStateDarren: There is a SEVERE shortage of quality engineers and computer scientists in the US. Notice I didn’t say programmers. There are plenty of programmers. The difference between programmers and quality engineers/computer scientist is the different between a swordsman and a Jedi.

Look at the numbers of kids enrolling in today’s engineering schools. They have been steadily dropping for the past 5-10 years. I know this because I am on the recruitment team at my job.

28. Darkwish says:

@RogerDucky: In this job market, where are you going to find people that don’t have breaks in their work histories besides the low level wage slave workers?

I know several people that have tons of knowledge and experience in various technology fields, myself included, that were laid off due to outsourcing that couldn’t find a job because they were either “over qualified” or the jobs didn’t pay shit. The average time of unemployment has been about 6 months before finding a job that would at least pay the bills.

Their claim that they can’t find qualified workers is total bullshit. They’re everywhere, you just have to pay enough to make it worth their time. Leaving a $11/hr CSR job for a $10/hr engineering job isn’t really worth it to most people, especially when the bills are due.

29. bufftbone says:

30. backbroken says:

Company: “We can’t find enough skilled workers in this country to fill these positions.”

Translation: “We have a bunch of jobs posted on Monster looking for people with impossible credentials willing to work for below market wages.”

Super Secret Translation: “We are too cheap to provide the necessary training to otherwise competant and qualified individuals.”

31. camille_javal says:

@azntg: That’s exactly what I was thinking – companies outsource, and you have people not going into that area, and morale dropping – it’s not a fluke that areas where a lot of layoffs have occurred also have a lot of dropouts – you’ve been raised on the idea that you can finish high school and go to college, get a job, and get fucked because you won’t work for less. Now that they’re coming back (probably because of the above-mentioned rise in Bangalore wages, and the weakening American dollar), well, gosh, the kids of those people you laid off didn’t think it was worth trying to follow in their parents’ footsteps.

Dumbasses.

In the meantime, recruiting for US engineering schools has seemed very weak.

32. @WhirlyBird: And yet, they do it. They’d hire prison inmates for their call centers if they could get away with it.

33. backbroken says:

@sleze69: Check your hoo-ha.

34. neuracnu says:

Horse hockey!

AT&T has been instituting layoffs and passing their IT employees off to consulting companies throughout the midwest for the last several years.

35. Darkwish says:

@Steaming Pile: Some of them do.

36. @tme2nsb: Ok, you convinced me. No more being mean to call center folks. That is, unless they refuse to connect me with a supervisor when I ask for one. FWIW, talking to an ill-qualified customer service rep is still better than talking to Verizon’s damned computer. I really f—ing hate that. I want to just say random shit into the phone when I get one of those, just to see if I can make it crash.

37. camille_javal says:

@backbroken: I have an engineering degree and a masters degree from a top school and 10 years of experience in my field, yet it took me 3 years to find a job (any job) in my field in Pittsburgh that would allow me to relocate closer to my family. So every company that makes this claim can stick it up their hoo-ha.

Congrats on finding the job – my family went through the same thing (lots of education and credentials, no jobs forthcoming at all in the field at all) – I recommend Barbara Ehrenreich’s Bait & Switch as an interesting read – may seem familiar.

38. @Darkwish: I hate it when replies aren’t nested. You meant, “some of them do hire inmates.” You are correct, sir. It’s a real problem, especially when you consider how much of YOUR information (credit card numbers, address, phone number, etc.) they have ready access to.

39. Darkwish says:

@Steaming Pile: Yeah, didn’t come out quite as I had planned.

There was a big stink in the local news a couple years ago about the inmates at the local prison using the information for fraud and scams, not to mention giving people with a history of such behaviour access to sensitive information.

But hey, they only have to pay them $1-2/hr, so it saves the companies all sorts of money!

40. lonewolf333 says:

I have to agree with AT&T after reading some of the comments over on the “Driving Over 60MPH Wastes Gas” post.

41. revmatty says:

@sleze69: The meme about “not enough skilled IT workers” is a trope created by tech companies trying to pressure Congress to allow more H1-B visas so they can get Indian workers to come over here and work for 50% or less of what Americans expect for a given job.

I have worked at many companies that do this and the facility I’m in now has several subcontractors that are doing it. I talk to the Indian guys a bit, they’re all pretty nice and hard worker and generally decent quality output. But the single ones live 5-6 in a two bedroom apartment and share one car because that’s all they can afford on their salaries (they send a big chunk back home, the primary reason they came to work in the US).

42. Islandkiwi says:

You know what I think of when they say they can’t find qualified workers? Experience, or rather the lack of. These jobs they pedal often require several years of prior experience…but how are people supposed to have the experience if you outsourced the jobs overseas?!?

43. Parting says:

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! Not many graduates are willing to work for such small salary. He wants more qualified workers. Well, keep your current employees HAPPY with regular and reasonable raises. Cut some pressure off the job. And pay more to attract more qualified people.

Basically, RESPECT is the main reason for employee LOYALTY and GOOD customer service.

44. vdragonmpc says:

Please, There are plenty of workers who are skilled and qualified. Companies just got lazy and demanding where they have proprietary products and expect people to know everything from day 1.

I had a rough patch a while back and ran a Networking department for a school. I had to run the network technician departments and the programming business sides. Hiring teachers was a lesson in humility. You see the company wanted to pay certified and degreed people no more than 12/hour. Can you imagine the conversations I had with potential hires? It was pathetic and it put seriously untalented people on the staff of the school.

Recently the school has changed its name to escape the horrific reputation it has for education.

As a point: The latest director demanded that I make the client/server network a normal one?!?! He doesnt like the whole password thingie. And why did his wireless stop working when I left? Oh yes, It was my freakin router that I had in my office to teach class with that they ‘borrowed’… They fired my assistant before I left and he had just set up their new router that they bought knowing I was leaving.

Companies need to pay an honest wage to workers… CEOs need to lower the disparity in earnings.

45. arniec says:

It seems to me that there may truly be a lack of skilled individuals and I applaud AT&T for not hiring UNSKILLED ones.

My wife worked for a Cingular (now AT&T) call center. The type of people (overall, not every single person, but most) were NOT quality people. They didn’t care about their job, and they viewed the CSR position as a lifetime goal, not a stepping stone to a better job outside the call center.

Something’s wrong when you have “career people” in their 30s and 40s working as $11/hr CSRs, and it’s because they have no education, no skills, and no ambition (again, not 100% of them but 90%).

And what’s worse, they don’t care about their job. They hate it, and they’re union, so they give the type of customer service that is posted about in Consumerist article after Consumerist article.

I personally think AT&T should not have such dead weight filling call centers. I don’t understand how that job is NOT perfect for college students. Flexible shifts, fair pay (though not a livable wage if you aren’t in a dorm/school/etc), tuition reimbursement…keep the college kids employed, you know that (most of them) are ambitious because they’re going for a college degree, and you churn them (the same way you churn your customers) every four years.

What appears to have happened in this country is the low income jobs no longer go to the youth but to the uneducated, and our country is filling with these uneducated people who don’t care about jobs, can’t hold jobs, don’t try at their jobs, and give us horrible, horrible customer service.

So better that he says “There’s no good people” rather than hiring the dregs of society to man their call centers. Bravo!

46. sleze69 says:

@revmatty: My company can’t hire foreign workers and we can’t outsource either. Finding competant, quality engineers and computer scientists who are American citizens is very difficult.

47. Burgandy says:

@bohemian:
    rs2982@att.com
    There ya go.

48. lowlight69 says:

being an engineer in high tech for 12 years now, and having worked at microsoft as a blue badge, i can tell you this “shortage” is truly bullshit. here is what it really looks like:

company wants to save cost
    say there is a shortage of skilled workers and you need to hire an H1B. to prove you can not find an American to do the job you must show that you looked for an American to fill the job. you do this by posting the job opening in a newspaper (not online) then if you do get a resume, you simply say unqualified. now you have attempted to fill the job with an American and have only found unqualified people. so you get your H1B. now you are supposed to pay an “average” wage for this person, but who determines what average is? why they company of course. now while a person is on H1B they can not leave the company and can not transfer within the company, if they do, they must get a new visa and/or return to their country of origin. essentially they become indentured servants. they can’t quit because if they do they have to go back to their country. if they get fired, they have to return to their country of origin. they are stuck, doing whatever the company wants for crap pay.

trust me, there are plenty of qualified American engineers, but they cost more, and can leave their company if they want. saying their is a shortage of skilled labor is a smoke screen to save money by paying lower wages.

49. backbroken says:

@sleze69: I really^2 find it hard to believe that you are unable to find competant engineers to work for your company at a market rate. I can’t believe that our engineering schools have a 100% placement record because it was nowhere near that when I graduated.

Unless, of course, you are using ‘competant’ as a synonym for ’15 years of very specific experience using certain propriety tools and a masters degree in some exotic specialty with a 3.8 or above grade average.’ Then yeah, probably hard to find.

50. consumerd says:

@WhirlyBird:

And then we bash AT&T even more for hiring these morons!

vicious cycle isn’t it? the American worker lost before it even got started.

Yay bangalore!

51. Jaysyn was banned for: http://consumerist.com/5032912/the-subprime-meltdown-will-be-nothing-compared-to-the-prime-meltdown#c7042646 says:

He’s straight lying. I work in telephony & I can promise you there are plenty of “engineers” & telephony contractors in Texas that would love that work.

52. Jaysyn was banned for: http://consumerist.com/5032912/the-subprime-meltdown-will-be-nothing-compared-to-the-prime-meltdown#c7042646 says:

@backbroken:
    The thing is, a telephony “engineer” isn’t truly an engineer. No degree required, just experience.

53. Sihanouk-s-Poodle says:

@bufftbone:
    “Here’s an idea. Don’t know how well it would work. Instead of trying to get mondo profits, dip into those profits a little bit more and use it towards salary/hourly wages. Perhaps some qualified applicants working other jobs may take notice and apply to work there. Give it a try.”

Publicly owned corporations exist solely to produce profits for their shareholders. So long as they are not breaking the law, they should do everything they can to increase profits.

That might not fit with the common fairy-tale view of the world, but when I invest money, I want returns, not coddling of people too lazy to find a good job.

54. well, at least they admit that they need quality workers I guess?

55. nikkomorocco says:

if you’re looking for folks who are qualified enough to understand all the jargon and gobbledegook you put in your contracts and bills i’ve got a pretty good idea for you…simplify them!!!

this is probably a bunch of nonsense though, if they are paying attractive wages folks will flock.

56. Jaysyn was banned for: http://consumerist.com/5032912/the-subprime-meltdown-will-be-nothing-compared-to-the-prime-meltdown#c7042646 says:

@arniec:

Call centers =! “Product Engineering”

57. valarmorghulis says:

@Jaysyn: Was going to say the same thing, only I don’t live in Texas (DFW is just too damn hot). Plenty of people who would be willing AND able to do that job. They probably just don’t want to do it for federal minimum wages.

58. trujunglist says:

That’s because engineering is fucking boring. Look it up, it’s a fact.

59. TechnoDestructo says:

I’d like to know what their standards are when looking for people. I’m just wondering if they’ll hire anyone who seems like they’d be able to learn the job in India for a fraction of the price, but in the US they’re demanding 5 years of experience in a very particular set of tasks which would only be found among people who previously worked for AT&T (in other words, people who would hopefully have moved on to something else…they would definitely have lost some, at any rate), or for a competitor.

Because there are lot of job listings like that out there, so it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if that were the case.

60. calvinneal says:

I work for one of the major communications companies. I make around $70,000 a year, have world class benefits and I consider myself a skilled employee. I am represented by a union, get sick days and 4 weeks vacation. Our company is “surplusing” people as fast as it can. There is no shortage of skilled workers. Its a matter of wages. Those 5000 jobs Mr. Stevenson alluded to were negotiated by CWA contract to be brought back into the United States. The jobs that he promised to bring back to the United States were second level DSL technical support jobs. The real problem is what a company , any company, is willing to pay for the skill level involved. In India they can get college graduates to do these jobs for about $2.00 an hour.

61. pal003 says:

Shocked by the timing of this I tell you!

March 12, 2008, Bill gates testifies to Congress – “U.S. puts tech jobs at risk by capping foreign workers. H-1B proponents in Congress acted quickly to take advantage of the attention Gates brought to the issue. U.S. Rep. Lamar Smith (R-Texas) introduced legislation Friday that would retroactively increase the 2008 visa cap to 195,000, as well as set that level for the fiscal year, 2009, that begins Oct. 1.”

As someone who watched an entire Tech Support dept be replaced with workers from Tata – I say Liars all of them!!

62. SteKos says:

What a giantic, steaming pile of %$#@.

Pity the poor CEO. According to Forbes, he made $19.6 million last year. In order to keep up with those kinds of numbers, I’m sure they can only afford to hire people at overseas rates.

If it wasn’t for the damn minimum wage law, these poor companies could afford to hire their slave labor.

63. wring says:

wow. I wonder what the highschool dropout rate in Bangalore is.

64. bjarmson says:

Does anyone believe anything these sacks of s..t CEO’s say anymore. Their only talents now seem to involve constantly increasing their own salaries and perks while simultaneously driving their companies into bankruptcy.

65. bellecat says:

Umm, Sprint just laid off about 4,000. Maybe they could work for AT&T? Just a thought.

66. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

I think the quote was misinterpreted. I think what the AT&T CEO really said is that “We can’t find enough skilled workers in the United States to fill our 5000 positions that pay minimum wage.

Now, that I can believe.

67. Whinemaker says:

Oh this just burns me up. I applied w/ ATT here in the Central Valley (California). I lost my job last year, and am desperately looking for a new job – no plans to job hop here; I just want one that I can hopefully advance within the company and then retire from. The CSR positions w/ ATT here pay about $18.00/hr to start. My dad retired from the phone company after 35+ years, and my sister-in-law (another reference in good standing w/ ATT) is a business division CSR there now. She gave me the heads-up when they posted their employment ad and told me to get my resume in ASAP. End result, never heard from them despite my college degree, professional resume listing my sales experience, and impeccable work history. I understand they’re looking for employees with “call center” and telemarketing sales experience. Sorry to rant and ramble, but it’s just so frustrating to read this crap…

68. SisterHavana says:

@DCGaymer: My feelings exactly. Come to the Midwest, AT&T. How about Michigan? University of Michigan is one of the top ten engineering schools in the US, the state needs the jobs, and I’m sure there are plenty of people there ready, willing, and able to do the work. How about in the Chicago area? University of Illinois and Purdue University, also top engineering schools, are about two hours away each. Granted, the cost of living is higher out here, but pay a living wage and you should have no shortage of excellent candidates.

69. mikelotus says:

wait a few more months and he should have access to plenty of unemployed engineers.

70. tz says:

Someone noted there is a big difference between a “programmer” and an “engineer”, which I would agree – but those in Bangalore are programmers. We have some H1B people from india, and while they are smart and trained, they have difficulty doing anything creative (debugging, finding implementation errors, or errors in documentation). And they cost maybe half.

You get what you pay for. There are lots of engineers. Shortage? Not at (contract rate) over $90/hr. Yes at $50/hr. You can get lots of people here or in Bangalore.

And is there anything the CEO, CFO, CIO and whatever do that can’t be done by someone in and from Bangalore? Maybe they should be replaced by someone making less than 6 figures.

I doubt it would ruin the company and stock price any faster or deeper.

71. copious28 says:

Wow…last time I checked, a company worth $230B could afford to pay proper American salaries for 5,000 workers. Of course, the bean counters at that company are so cheap, they would spend $3 to save $.50.
    The statements from the article are so vague, I wish the reporter would have requested an interview to get clarification.

72. cynon says:

As mentioned above, I’d have to say that the translation of AT&Ts BS is “We don’t want to pay people who have the skills what they’re worth.”

73. ltlbbynthn says:

@bohemian: Yeah but an employee can live off of $15/hr, therefore no company will ever pay that much starting.

74. bobblack555 says:

Wait – so he’s having a hard time finding U.S. citizens whose qualifications include speaking poor English with an Indian accent and who enjoy transferring callers around 5 times before hanging up on them?

75. bobblack555 says:

Maybe other countries can start outsourcing their need for asshole CEO’s to the U.S.!

76. TheFlamingoKing says:

Um, call center jobs are not “skilled” labor, guys. This is talking about engineers. Specifically in the world of hardware engineering at the chip development level, so many of those graduates are here on educational visas. When I was an Elec Engineering major I was one of 4 American citizens in the class, and that’s at a major state university.

Sure, they don’t want to pay 75k when they can pay 23k, but that doesn’t mean there’s an abundance of this type of labor just coming out of college with nothing to do. The truth, like most things, is somewhere in the middle.

77. bben46 says:

Based on my criteria, we have a shortage of qualified CEOs.It doesn’t seem to matter how much we pay them, they still don’t get it.

78. DelG says:

Ask AT&T especially the Wireless side what their turnover is – it is like 60%. The real question should be to CEO Stephenson as to why they can’t hold on to the people they have? Why they let their talent walk away? Why they focus their energies on employees in their 20’s and 30’s?

79. talaris says:

@wring: Found an article with the drop out rate for India in general, it’s 39% at age 10.

[www.savethechildren.net]

80. axiomatic says:

Although I have already far surpassed this level of job… I would rather flip burgers than work for AT&T.