Yahoo’s “Unlimited” email, isn’t. [WSJ]

Comments

1. Wayfaerer says:

It was mentioned in the comments there as well, but it doesn’t seem very smart to use Yahoo as your backup for work email in the fisrt place. I can’t imagine that being company policy.

2. howie_in_az says:

Forget TransUnion, those bastards still have me living in Maryland — 8 years after leaving there!

3. axiomatic says:

Its also only POP1 complaint, not POP3.

4. Buran says:

@howie_in_az: Maybe they got the notice that you moved via Yahoo Mail?

I have my gmail rigged to use tags now for whenever they fix their IMAP to work with folder subscriptions, but before that it all dumped into one inbox/”all mail” folder, and never bombed out. Technically it still does, just with tags now. Tsk, Yahoo. Tsk.

5. Lazlo Nibble says:

@Wayfaerer: Autoforwarding all your work email to a personal account on some external webmail host goes way beyond just “not company policy” — any sane company would just fire your ass for even considering it.

6. Buran says:

@LazloNibble: That seems a little harsh unless it’s email containing stuff that shouldn’t get out of the company. Lots of companies don’t deal with that caliber of stuff.

If a lot of people are doing that, however, that’s probably a sign of unhappiness with what you’re using for your email setup, and a strong hint that looking into an alternative might be a really good idea.

7. JustEaton says:

When are these punks gonna support IMAP? I’m so tired of checking mail on my iPhone, then going home and having to re-read everything again. IMAP should be pretty standard by now.

8. Mr. Gunn says:

Well, neither is “unlimited” downloads on any ISP of mobile service provider. They should all stop saying that.

9. somecop says:

I seriously can’t believe they are storing 54k emails on Yahoo. YAHOO! Jeebus!
    Did anyone else notice that article was written in the tech section of the WSJ?

10. mikelotus says:

hey, i am a contractor at the SSA, and I store all the records i am working on with yahoo email. anyone have a problem with that?

11. bgrigson says:

They are getting flamed in the comments. I’m not fan of outlook, but ours is set up to run well and everything on the server is backed up. Personal folders are not and perhaps they need some extra storage for that stuff.