The 30 Cent Store

You know times are tough when the Dollar Store needs to hold a 70% off sale. That should be a line in a blues song. Maybe it’s an art installation making commentary on the current strength of the dollar.

(Thanks to Sanford!)

Comments

1. MBZ321 says:

It is probably just a going out of business sale….small mom & pop dollar stores have been hurt by Dollar Tree and the like.

2. azntg says:

70% off, eh? Anything interesting?

3. mopar_man says:

@MBZ321:

That’s what it looks like. Those walls are pretty empty.

4. Moosehawk says:

@azntg: No, it’s a dollar store.

I walked in to a dollar store once and I thought I was going to get mugged. All kinds of crazies in there.

5. ChrisC1234 says:

I wish the dollar store here would have a 70% off sale… They’ve actually got some decent stuff for a buck, but reducing it down to $0.30 makes it a steal.

6. twinklebean912 says:

FYI, I used to work for Your Dollar Store With More and they aren’t your “everything’s a dollar” store. They have items priced anywhere from less than a buck to up to twenty bucks. But everything is cheap and the same awful quality that you can find in Dollar Tree and the like.

The one I worked at went out of business and it was no surprise. They paid me a penny over minimum wage and threatened to fire me if I worked over my hours because they couldn’t afford to pay me. Then they fired me for getting pneumonia and calling out :/ All in all, no wonder they’re going out of business, lousy mom & pop chain.

7. Peeved Guy says:

And yet, they’re still making a profit…

8. @twinklebean912: They paid you $5.16/hour? That’s just mean. It’s like they’re saying “A penny earned is a penny saved.”

9. Nick says:

Ha, I’m still using the box of envelopes I bought a year ago at a local stored called Everything’s 88¢! when they were going out of business and having a 50% off sale. I should probably write people more often.

10. upokyin says:

Do they have plankton?

11. ChuckECheese says:

Every once in awhile I have this scary thought, which is that Wal-Mart will tire of competition from dollar stores, and will start buying them up.

12. Nick says:

@ChuckECheese: But then who would they off-load their contaminated, contraband, too-crappy-for-Wal-Mart merchandise onto? ;-) [consumerist.com]

13. BadBadKitty says:

There is one of these a block from the house , it regularly had “clearance sales” where things went down 10 cents every 3 days or so ,til everything was gone ,then they restocked and a few months later would do it again , i usually missed the good stuff but did get a few finds , then last month they did it … and closed :(

14. stpauliegirl says:

They’re not the only dollar store facing hard times. Big Dollar, a chain up here in Minnesota, is going out of business as well. [twincities.bizjournals.com]

15. pandroid says:

I actually shopped at a going-out-of-business dollar store this past weekend. You’d think times would be good for those kinds of stores, but clearly not.

16. coan_net says:

Looks like it is going out of business to me, with the store so empty.

Times are even harder at stores like this – since they try to sale things cheaply – but the cost of getting the goods to the store, along with things like heating, cooling, and running the electricity at the stores have only been going up.

17. sly100100 says:

@Moosehawk: Haven’t you heard that is where all the crazies hang out. :)
    Seriously though 70% @ a dollar store, wow! times are tough.

18. bdgbill says:

There are some really big dollar stores out in California. I can tell you from experience that it is where the crazies hang out. 500lb women walking around with 8 kids. Screaming at the kids, screaming at each other etc. Several times I have seen people shoplifting at Dollar stores. They must be crazy places to work.

I pretty much avoid them now.

19. ideagirl says:

@bdgbill: 99 cents Only stores FTW!

20. scarletvirtue says:

One of the best things that I saw recently at a dollar store was condoms.

Who in their right mind would buy condoms at the dollar store?

21. Anonymous says:

Where is this dollar store? It looks just like the one that went out of business a block from my apartment! In Canada. I am so curious!

22. wulf_eh says:

Melanie, it is indeed the dollar store on 17th ave in Calgary (two blocks from my place). It wasn’t so much about the strength of the US dollar than it was about the strength of the Canadian dollar and the skyrocketing lease values in the area.

Canadian economy FTW!

23. hardcle says:

I have a local dollar store that does the same thing as BadBadKitty’s. Every once in a while they mark everything down to clear out the old inventory. I once got a stack of DVDs that had 2 movies each on them for 60 cents apiece.