Walmart Calls You An Idiot, Tells You To Shut Up And Never Come Back

Reader David writes:

Greetings from Austin, Consumerist. I thought y’all might like to hear tale of a visit to a local Walmart (store 1185, for those keeping track).

The journey started last Thursday evening, March 20 at around 10pm. I noticed I was low on food, deodorant, and a few other essentials that guarantee I’m a pleasant person to be around. Seeing how I’ve never had a major problem at Walmart, and its the closest grocery store, I decided I would go to Walmart, as usual.

I arrived to find it busy, as always. So I start getting the groceries. I almost get run over by one of those fork-lift-pallet-carrier things by some negligent employee near the yogurt/cheese area. Still, I survive and decide it’s not worth griping about.

After getting groceries, I decide to finally get that deodorant. They no longer carry my favorite deodorant. I’m forced to accept a second rate brand (tainted with lead?) that makes me slightly unhappy. NO!

These two minor events aside, I arrive at shortest check out line with its light on. I wait patiently in line as the cashier (the soon to be very evil and rude) Shanda checks out the person in front of me. She turns her light off as she finishes checking this lady out. When I start putting my stuff on the conveyor belt thing, she lashes out at me saying “her light was off the whole time” and that “she would not check me out”. Displeased with this result, I calmly remind her of her job responsibilities and I manage to get to check me out, even though “she did not have to check me out, but she would”.

About 2 minute later, her supervisor comes up, telling her to pull out. She then relates a story about how “this idiot is forcing me to check him out”. Of course, I get somewhat upset at this characterization of myself. At this point, however, the supervisor, tells me that “her cashier was already checking me out, so be quiet, shut-up, and don’t come back”.

I basically try to approach the supervisor to talk to her after checking out (at her podium-thing) and she runs off socializing with all the other cashiers. I finally get her to stop, but she refuses to reveal her name to me and had her name-tag backwards. Fortunately, a very friendly cashier in another line gave me the supervisor’s name, Yvonne.

So there you have it Consumerist, I’m not supposed to ever go back, and if I was to come back, I’m supposed to take their corporate draconianism in the a** and “Shut-up”. Thoughts?

David

Well, David. Here is my suggestion:
solution.jpg
Isn’t the free market marvelous?

(Photo:Jeff Holbrook)

Comments

1. Myownheroine says:

Best. Consumerist. Response. Ever.

2. ChChChacos says:

Typical of Walmart, I don’t think any of them believe in customer service.

3. smoothtom says:

For once, good advice from Wal-Mart. Don’t shop there!

(Not blaming the victim. The cashier was clearly in the wrong.)

4. ???/??? says:

It’s Wal Mart. I go in there for the basics, but after that, it’s anywhere but there!

5. Thomas Palmer says:

Well, David. Here is my suggestion:

Google “walmart intercom prank”
    I know it is a bit child-ish, but if you are really bored one day…

Isn’t the free internet marvelous?

6. dualityshift says:

Clearly the writer’s fault for expecting to be treated human.

Seriously, I would have walked out, leaving them to deal with my buggy of stuff, then write a letter to corporate. (EECB anyone?) Let the fat cats know that soon they won’t be so fat, if we take our money elsewhere.

7. trickster813 says:

This is why they call them associates and not employees.

8. WhirlyBird says:

Too many companies are running their business on the “churn” model: it doesn’t matter how many customers get mad and leave, as long as advertising brings in more customers. It’s very cost-effective.

9. christoj879 says:

How about the immediate response line? Get the bitch fired – (479) 273-4000. Could be (479) 279-4000, but I think it’s the former.

10. Chols says:

I was at Target last nite, and I inserted the wrong credit card (I was trying to use debit for cash back). A supervisor came over and said that there was no way to cancel. I chuckled and said, “that’s ok, Wal-Mart let’s me cancel”, we all had a good laugh, and I was out.

I’ll be going to Wal-Mart tonite to get some cheap canned fruit. $1.27 for a can of Del-Monte is ridiculous!

11. SkokieGuy says:

David you left out the KEY piece of info. As you left, did they ask you to show your receipt?

12. kpfeif says:

Really, how hard is it to bash Wal-Mart? First, I doubt the story. There are *plenty* of people on the ol’ tubes of the internet that want to bash Wal-Mart.

Or, perhaps, was it that the cashier that this person had was simply a *unt, and, even at Target, she’d be the same miserable person?

13. Papagoose says:

If only I could convince Target to open a store near me – I have 4 Walmarts within 10 miles – closest Target is 40 miles away. :(

14. scarysnow says:

I think every time I go in there to check out, the cashier is just about to go on break and makes that fact abundantly clear until I leave.

15. gamin says:

Wal-mart cashiers are the worst they are so angry that you step to their lane that you kinda feel guilty by buying for less

16. Nighthawke says:

Rope-a-Dope.

That’s what retailers the likes of Wal-Mart, Best Buy, and the rest of the lot expect the consumers to be. Get beat up, do as they want you to do and get out of their stores.

This Rope-A-Dope gets screwed around like that poor soul did, I won’t even bother waiting to get home to fire off a EECB to Bentonville, I’ll sit in their parking lot and use my blackberry to destroy them with. Then go to the local Target to get my items and head home in good cheer.

17. bohemian says:

David should take the Walmart store’s advice, and then Meg’s.

18. ElizabethD says:

The cashier should have told you she would be closing after her current customer as soon as you stood in her line.

That aside: the rest is much ado about not much, IMO. I recommend a course in concise writing. Also, as Hillary is learning today, resist the temptation to overdramatize.

19. Mike_Hawk says:

@kpfeif:

It’s ok grandma, I am sure that your greeter position is safe.

20. Rachacha says:

Blah, Blah, Blah WalMart hires rude cashiers, blah, blah, and rude managers, blah, blah, oh $hi+, That was hilarious Meg, I have to agree with Myownheroine best Consumerist response ever.

21. attackgypsy says:

I wouldn’t worried about coming back. The only one who can issue something like that is the store manager, and IIRC, they do it in writing, or have a cop give a trespass warning.

Mind you, I’m not 100% sure. I’d contact corporate first.

22. toddvm says:

I have had problems with Sprint like that. I call the CSR and they give me some bogus ID. She tells me that they are not allowed to give out their names and badge numbers. I ask to talk to her supervisor and she is of course busy. I call back to get another CSR and they give me as their badge ID WE9. Obviously made up. As a customer service rep, anyone that refuses to give out their badge number is, in my opinion, no longer acting as a representative of the company and should be considered AWOL on the job. Because you can bet they are drawing a paycheck at the time they have their badge turned around or giving out false ID numbers.

23. mindshadow says:

@kpfeif:

Obvious troll is obvious.

Good effort sir/ma’am.

24. PatrickIs2Smart says:

@Myownheroine: I’ll second that. It’s that Meg Marco for ya!

25. fdx3k1 says:

You went to a Walmart in Austin’s worst ghetto and expected them to be nice? That place is beyond the worst retail establishment in North America. I remember a police officer telling me to be careful because I was the wrong color for the neighborhood (I’m white – like Irish white)….but that Walmart does have 4 or 5 rows of clearance at any given time..and had 20+ rows after Christmas.

26. Kurtz says:

Meg’s response is great, but she has apparently never been to the Target on Peyton Gin. It’s more ghetto than the Walmart on 183 and it doesn’t sell groceries. Try the Super Target up IH-35. Less ghetto, more selection.

27. CitizenOutKast says:

@mindshadow: Nah, I don’t think he’s wrong, to a point. People are different and I’ve seen people who worked at a couple of jobs and they were losers at both. Walmart, of course, doesn’t care how much attitude their employees have, and in NJ, they have a lot, because people will keep coming back no matter what.

I agree with others: stop shopping there. It might not hurt them at all, but at least you know you’re not getting screwed over like the “dopes” are.

28. apotheosis says:

@kpfeif:

Or, perhaps, was it that the cashier that this person had was simply a *unt

…”aunt?”

29. ARP says:

@mindshadow: Agreed. Troll.

@kpfeif: What part of WMT or PR firm are you with?

30. jedimaster122 says:

Wal-mart sucks! some people are like that. I was a cashier at Wal-Mart in Rchland,MS (2939 store number) and customers liked me, because I treated them with kindness. And I worked there for 6 months. My coworkers were O.K. hint hint.

David

31. Kevin Cotter says:

Years ago Wal-Mart did something similar to me, so I enacted revenge. I returned with friends. We loaded carts with small items from all over the store. When the carts filled, we’d get a new carts. We treated it like a competition. It took about a dozen or so carts before they caught on and asked us to leave.

I wish I had the time for the mindless crap we did as kids.

32. mike says:

I think it depends on the Walmart one goes to. Unfortunately, with much popularity comes much expectations. I’ve come to realize that many people that work in Walmart are often poorer than me and have a lot of stuff going on in their lives. I take that into consideration when one of them blows me off.

Besides that, the cashier was rude, no doubt. But the supervisor should have behaved professionally. I’ll give the cashier the benefit of the doubt. Probably a crappy day. The supervisor has no excuse.

33. Loker says:

I was a manager at Wal-Mart for a few months (yeah its as bad as it sounds…) but I do not think you can fault Wal-Mart as a whole for this one. In all our cashier training classes it clearly shows that we are supposed to check the customer out even if our light was off when they got in line or if we are locked out of our register for being too close to our lunch then we are supposed to call someone else over to check them out quickly.

This sounds more like just a cashier who hated their job (who wouldn’t hate that job?) and a customer service supervisor on a power trip…

34. dj_skilz says:

@kpfeif: “Second, do you think you Wal-Mart shows you a video entitled “how to treat customers badly?” Answer: no. I worked there in college.”

Hmm, sounds like they are using another training video instead ;)

35. Traveshamockery says:

Reason number 4,569,231 that you shouldn’t shop at Wal-Mart.

Escalate through the “customer service” number and maybe you’ll get a free gift card or something.

Stories (and experiences) like this are the exact reason I refuse to subject myself to Wal-Mart. The world needs more principled consumers who won’t give their money to crappy companies. Consumerists unite!

36. ukemi says:

@kpfeif: “Let me guess – if Wal-Mart unionized, everything would be just fine. That’s obviously true, since I’ve been to the post office and received fantastic service there.”

The post office near my house has great customer service. It is always a pleasant experience.

37. Mary says:

@sohmc: Thank you. In my hometown, the only store to shop at is Wal-Mart. There’s other grocery stores, but really, six of one, half a dozen of the other.

They’re clean, the employees are nice (and usually related to you, your neighbor, or went to elementary school with your aunt or something. Ah, small towns). They’re polite, they have a good selection of stuff.

Where I live now, there’s so much competition that Wal-Mart doesn’t even try. They’re a little dirty, very cramped, disorganized, and I barely can get a smile out of the cashiers, let alone a polite conversation. So I don’t go there often. If I can’t buy it from Harris Teeter, then I usually get it from the local Target (which is understocked, understaffed, overpriced, but clean) or order it online.

Each store is a different experience.

38. graphicwave says:

HA That’s the Wal-Mart right by my place. It’s always CRAZY busy, so I only go there if I have to. It’s always full of screaming babies and little kids running around that need to be on leashes. Talk about a friggin’ headache.

39. mikeluisortega says:

The best Walmarts are the ones with self checkouts. I scan,bag,swipe goodnight.

40. SuffolkHouse says:

Wait, you are being pessimistic. It is about time people started providing the level of service for which they are being paid.

This could be a form of strike, where you show up and do your job, but just do it as a schmuck. I like it!

41. Crymson_77 says:

I’ve been to this Walmart…this story is par for the course. The management at this Walshat is the worst I have ever encountered…and unfortunately, it starts at the top with the worst and everyone under them seems to be taking lessons. Bunch of asshats, really…

42. kittenfoo says:

though i try to avoid shopping at wal-mart, the one in my town handles the “cashier going on break” situation by having a manager get behind the last person in the line, putting the “closed” sign on the checkout counter behind that person, and only then telling the clerk to turn the light off. it helps prevent the kind of crap this guy dealt with.

43. Crymson_77 says:

@kpfeif: Unions cause situations like what is happening with the automakers in the US…the company goes to crap and the employees don’t give a shit. Go home troll.

44. Me - now with more humidity says:

We have two WalMart Supercenters within 5 miles of us in Jacksonville, FL, and they’re both excellent places to shop. I save $25 a week or more on groceries and the clerks are nice people who do give a crap.

Your mileage may vary.

45. mike says:

BTW, don’t feed the trolls. It only makes them stronger.

46. TVGenius says:

You mean you have cashiers that speak English there? I guess I’ll find out someday when I leave Arizona…

47. Angryrider says:

Happy that there are no Wal-Marts in the NYC area.

48. PermanentStar says:

Actually, I had a really good experience at Wal-mart last friday.

Of course, being 10:30 pm, the friday before Easter, I knew that they were going to be packed, but I needed icing bags (I make and sell cakes and cookies as a side job), and at 10:30, Wal-mart was the only place open who would have them. Well, I got into the U-scan lane there, or whatever they call them, and the cashier in charge of that area had the lanes all open, plus was pulling the next person in line to her podium to make the lines move faster. I was extremely pleased, especially after some of the stuff I’ve read on here about them.

49. [www.break.com]

The Wal-Mart prank? Hysterical.

50. b612markt says:

Happy that there are no Wal-Marts in the CHI area.

51. marsneedsrabbits says:

I’m not blaming you (promise!) but at some point, you could have stood your ground, demanded a manager, refused to pay or some combination of those.

Don’t do business with companies who don’t appreciate your patronage. You have a right to be treated decently and not called names. Insist on it.

52. MustyBuckets says:

Well, aside from letting it go and taking your business elsewhere, I’d call through the normal channels (1-800 Walmart, if I’m not mistaken) then go about calling their big wigs, following the advice of this link here [consumerist.com]

While I do think Meg’s response was quite funny, and I love everything she has posted before; I know it sucks being treated like shit from anywhere, and to not even get the link to this site’s page of Executive Customer Service is a little cold.

Good Luck Dave!

53. katylostherart says:

might as well file a complaint. couldn’t really hurt to pop a complaint email off. i’ve been to some pretty ghetto walmarts in my time but i’ve never even overheard a cashier calling a customer an idiot and then having the supervisor be that much of an ass about it.

54. TPS Reporter says:

I once stood in line for 45 minutes at Walmart while a manager (trainee?) who was working the register tried to get a gift certificate to work. This was a few years ago, maybe before the cards they have now. This was actually a piece of paper filled out with the amount.

55. MissTic says:

Ugh. This confirms why I only use their self-checkout. Yes, I’m the lady with the full cart in front of you. But, I know how to scan/bag the right way and I would much rather do it myself.

56. dj_skilz says:

@b612markt:

The CHI area? (?Chicago?)

There is a Walwart on North Avenue;

LOCATION INFO (CLICK)

Big news a couple weeks ago was about the proposed Chatam location being shot down.

57. formerretail says:

The proper way for them to shut down a cash line is to have a supervisor stand at the line or otherwise block it off after the last customer they are going to serve. This store obviously has poor training on how to do this simple thing. Of course 98% of the stores have poor training so what do you expect. I managed WMT stores for 4 years and cashiering is the crapiest job in the store, a bad CSM (Front end supervisor stands for Customer Service Manager if you can believe it) just makes it worse.

58. csdiego says:

@b612markt: Happy that there are no Walmarts in Washington, DC

59. dj_skilz says:

@b612markt:

There is a Wallwart w/ in the city limits of Chicago on North Ave.

Link via WM Store Locator

Big news a couple weeks back was bout the proposed 2nd Chatam site, being blocked.

60. Johnathan says:

Disclaimer: I work in a Walmart store.

If I were you, I’d call 1-800-Wal-Mart and complain. Be sure to mention the store number, position, and names of all those involved. It really works.

When you make the call, it goes from the top down. When I was a customer service manager I saw cashiers and other supervisors get praise or discipline based on those calls.

Now, if that store has rotten management in general, all bets are off. Find a different Wal-mart, because it’s not going to get any better until corporate gets involved.

61. DeeJayQueue says:

Ok, I fucking hate walmart.

That said, lets look at this from a human perspective.

at 10pm-ish, who on this planet would want to be working at a register? And, if you’re about to get off work, checking out another customer is about the last thing you’d want to do.
    Does that excuse her attitude? Hells to the no. But it does make it understandable, and it’s a natural reaction to have. I’ve been at walmart at 10pm. It feels like the store is closed. The porters are bringing out freight, and they don’t look where they’re going. The people working in the departments are busy stocking the freight, not helping customers. The cashiers are fewer and farther between than any other time of day, and other than the shift differential, have no interest in being there at that time of night. If that’s the kind of atmosphere they want to keep, so be it, but I’m not shopping there anymore.

62. jmschn says:

Your first mistake was going into Walmart! ZING!

63. pandroid says:

@Kurtz: *None* of the Targets in town are as bad as the Rundberg Walmart. The Target at Ohlen is a bit scary on the outside, but nice on the inside.

One word of advice though: HEB.

64. Osi says:

Ok, lets summarize ….

1. The poster almost got ran over by a forklift, but let it’s slide. This shows that the poster is suicidal …

2. They didn’t have his favorite deodorant, so he’s miffed and buy a different one. Here, he makes rude comments … the poster is not a pleasant person at all!

3. The cashier turned off the light BEFORE he was served. And the poster was mental enough to try to force her to serve him. This guy is a mental case. He should of been escorted out by a police and barred from ever setting foot in any store in the state.

4. The supervisor did not really want to deal with him, and I do not blame her. This guy is 100% a-hole.

So to summarize, this guy need to take himself out of the gene pool, the Darwin way. The world would be a better place.

65. iambetter says:

Got to love them CSM people. There is a store in PA, 2535 I do believe, that has a wonderful CSM at night. She will rip you a new one after calling you an idiot and then take you by the hand to the Manager on duty for you to complain. You know what happens after that? Nothing. Walmart will lose one customer out of their millions that shop there everyday. No biggie.

66. newfenoix says:

My wife has worked for Wal-Mart for eight years, in Arkansas and in Texas. There are good stores and bad stores. In general, I can’t stand the place and we do very little shopping there. As far as handling a complaint, call and keep calling the complaint line. They have my phone on file at corp. HQ because of the number of complaints that I have filed. I am a business manager and Wal-Mart’s training is the worst in the world. Shop somewhere else.

67. BugMeNot2 says:

@Meiran:

“Where I live now, there’s so much competition that Wal-Mart doesn’t even try. “

You know, it’s funny that you say this. In my hometown, for the longest time there was only Wal-Mart. It was clean, friendly, and well-maintained. A few years back, the town got a Target, and the Wal-Mart is now dirty, the employees either uncaring or rude, and inventory not the best. You’d think it would have worked out in the opposite order, but it didn’t.

As far as Target, if you want proof that any place can have the bad employees, let me point you to the little old lady with big silver-white hair at the Target we have here. She’s rude, impatient, and just not pleasant at all. Just recently, I was having problems with my debit card and the reader would not scan it. I handed it to her and said, “It’s been acting up, can you try it up top?” She grabs the card, jerks the reader I had been trying around to her and says, “You were putting it in wrong.” (I was not.) She then tries to get it to read several times before letting out an exasperated sigh and running it through the reader built into the keyboard on her POS terminal. It worked the first try. She said not another word the rest of the time I was there, but shoved my bags at me when I was ready to leave.

That was one of the more pleasant times I’ve had her as my cashier.

68. GearheadGeek says:

@Kurtz: The HEB at Hancock Center (41st and I35) is also a good choice for a mostly grocery/personal-care trip. HEB isn’t ready to let Wal-Mart have the central TX grocery business just yet, and they have way better meat and produce. I avoid Wal-Mart in general, but I avoided the store in question like the plague even though it was the closest to my house when I lived in Austin.

69. oakie says:

the funny part is YOU STILL BOUGHT THE SHIT. walmart 1, idiot 0

70. hi says:

Your second mistake was going into Walmart! ZING!

71. lonewolf333 says:

Get a life, with all the time you wasted fighting with the poor cashier you could have moved into another check out line.

You Bastard.

72. Machete_Bear says:

I’m sorry but Shanda and Yvonne just sound like the type of names that stuck-up, irresponsible, over-entitled princess would have.

As was said, this was more of a people issue than a company issue. This story is full of stupid people. The customer who didn’t immediately drop the merchandise and walk out, dialing the corporate help line, and the two bitch queens who decided that brutalizing the customer and hiding their identity are acceptable business practices.

No offense to any Shandas and Yvonnes out there.

73. Buran says:

@Jinx: Ah yes, the blame the OP mentality isn’t gone at all.

You don’t shut down a checkout until all the people who got into the line before the light was off are served. The guy got into line when the light was on. They were wrong to act like jerks when he wanted them to do their jobs.

74. bgoldsm says:

You shopped at WalMart…that was actually your first mistake.

75. silencedotcom says:

@Myownheroine: I wholeheartedly second that!

76. lonewolf333 says:

@Jinx: Agree 1000%

77. forgottenpassword says:

I’d talk to the manager of the store. Preferrably in person. Be polite & sincere.

And for good measure contact corporate with your complaint afterwards.

LONG ago when I worked at walmart… we had a manager that would have NEVER put up with a customer being talked to that way. Of course this must’ve been nearly 20 years ago & it was in a small town…. not some ghetto’d area of austin where complaints such as yours are probably pretty common.

And btw…. target creeps me out. Its more suited for bored upper-middleclass suburban housewives than an average working class joe like me.

78. DeeJayQueue says:

@Buran: IAWTC.

@Jinx:
    1. Really? He’s suicidal for almost getting hit by a forklift? I think that since walmart sells guns and ammo there are much better ways of doing it if you’re going to be suicidal.

2. I don’t see where he made any comments at all, unless you mean the side commentary, which probably was just sarcasm.

3. According to his statement, Shonda only turned her light off after she was done with the person immediately ahead of him, presumably after he’d been standing there waiting for the conveyor belt to clear. She shut the light off as he started loading his items, not as he was hunting for a line to get into, or while he was 3 people back. Basic courtesy, as well as most stores’ policy says that you help all the customers in your line even if you’ve turned off your light. You can say “I’m closed after That person” to people who get in line AFTER your light is off, but if they’re there they should get rung up. I’d say Shonda and Yvonne are the people with the bad attitudes.

4. Regardless of if she wanted to deal with him or not, she’s not on her time, she’s on wal-mart’s time. By this measure she has to do what wal-mart asks of her, which in Shonda’s case means ringing out customers, and in Yvonne’s case means supervising the cashiers and handling customer concerns/complaints. If they don’t want to do that job they can clock out and go home. Otherwise quit bitching about it.

79. BrockBrockman says:

Except for all of the dead-horse-beating debate going on in the comments here, I really really liked this post. Meg’s response, as has been pointed out earlier, is quite appropriate on both a practical and comical level.

80. Citizen Snips says:

@pandroid:
    HEB is overpriced, but if I had a choice (we have no HEB’s in Dallas that I’m aware of)I would go there over Wal-Mart any day. I hate going in there and seeing the small children running around with snotty noses and no shoes. It makes me want to run my Cap’n Crunch through the washing machine before I eat it.

81. Kurtz says:

@GearheadGeek: I usually shop at that HEB. But sometimes I go to Central Market. HEB owns CM (their prices and selection are similar to Whole Foods), but strangely some things are cheaper at CM. For instance, yesterday I bought a 4-pack of Guinness at CM that would have cost me $1.50 more at HEB.

Consumerist Fun Fact: HEB stands for Harry E. Butt, the chain’s founder. I had a buddy who used to pay with checks he made out to “Harry Butt”. The joke never got old (for him anyway).

82. LucyInTheSky says:

=D

i agree with everyone. best response ever. made my day.

83. Orngbliss says:

@Myownheroine: I agree completely!

84. GearheadGeek says:

@Kurtz: Nice story but it was Howard E. Butt (per HEB’s History page on their website… I got it wrong too, I’d always thought it was Henry.)

My house in Austin was close to the original CM, and I got hooked on it there. I still get to shop at CM, their Fort Worth store is the closest grocery store to my house actually. There aren’t any “regular” HEBs around here but as you say CM doesn’t always have higher prices. Typically it’s the same for “normal” stuff that’s carried in both stores (eggs, milk, etc.) but there are definitely some pricey luxury goods to be had at CM. And the wine… damnation take the wine section that threatens my budget every time I go there!

85. doctor_cos wants you to remain calm says:

@Myownheroine: ++++++1

86. REPTILE-DYSFUNCTION says:

HEB & Central Market are different entities & thus have different purchasing arrangement with vendors. That’s why prices can vary between HEB & CM. I know this because a former neighbor was a CM employee & she complained about shoppers who expected the prices to be exactly the same.

As for the poster who said HEB is overpriced: Not in Austin they’re not! HEB has excellent prices, friendly employees, & great selections.

Note to OP: Please stop giving your money to Wal-Mart! There’s a reason they have a horrible reputation.

87. halajenn says:

@ToriTowel: I don’t know if they’re anywhere but San Antonio, but HEB now has several super centers to rival Target and Walmart. Still a bit pricey on some items, but it’s way better than the alternatives.

88. misslisa says:

All this talk of HEB is making me homesick for TX. I also enjoyed the Tom Thumb stores when I lived there. Here in Phoenix, I shop at AJ’s, the most elegant yet expensive grocery store ever, but (to get back on topic), guaranteed to be the antithesis of the Wal-Mart experience. I will gladly pay triple for groceries to not have to put up with bullshit. I mean, in the end, why sacrifice your nerves and peace of mind to save a few extra bucks shopping at a shitty store?

89. jpm3 says:

@GearheadGeek: Agreed – go with Hancock Center, 24 hours and I’ve never had an issue with an employee there! i shopped at wal-mart until i found this HEB. make the switch!

90. evilhapposai says:

@Jinx and lonewolf333: Obviously we have some Wal-mart employee/manager forum trolls shocked to find out that Wal-mart actually DOES suck. Last time I checked almost getting hit by someone else’s negligence does not count as being suicidal.

91. Frostberg says:

Walmart custmer service is not world class? Imagine that!

92. anyanka323 says:

Wal-Mart customer service varies from store to store. I find that the cleaner better maintained stores have better service than the less well maintained ones. Those stores also have better, more helpful employees in my experiences.

93. Bruce says:

Minimum wage is simply too good for some people. Whatever happened to common decency?

For your viewing pleasure…

[www.walqaeda.com]

94. Caprica Six says:

I can’t believe that there are Walmart’s six minutes of each other. Well, it is Texas…..

95. Get over it? You’re a big boy.

If I climb down into the New York sewer system at night and get attacked by CHUDs, I get what I deserve.

96. deanie12 says:

I bought 3 grocery items at Sam’s Club tonite and 2 drinks from the food area up front. The receipt check lady looks at the receipt, counts the items, then counts two more times. I was thinking “how hard is it to count 3 items?” She then asked me for the receipt for the drinks (that’s the first time anyone has checked my drink receipt). Luckily, I had tossed it in the cart and not the trash. I pointed to the receipt and she marked that too. As I walked to my car, a guy called out to me and said the receipt lady had started cursing and calling me names as soon as I walked away. I laughed about it, ’cause I’m glad she got annoyed just like I did.

97. skeksis says:

HEB would never treat you like that. (no, I don’t wanna hear stories about HEB)

98. Kenneth says:

I’ve shopped at that Wal-Mart, I feel your pain, but you should listen to Consumerist, go to Target on Reserch or at Capital Plaza.

99. Wynner3 says:

I haven’t been to a Walmart in years because of a cashier ringing up a six pack of soda by each individual cans. Oddly enough, after she finally realized that it was sold as a six pack she could see me getting upset and my total item amount came to $6.66.

100. Gooz2 says:

Why are most Wal-Mart employees jerks?! I swear, I always get some rude cashier chick that has to be either incredibly rude or unfathomably SLOW!! Like taking a minute to scan each item! And don’t let me actually need to get help from one of them walking around in their little blue vests….they literally RUN when they hear, “Excuse me…can I get some help?” I feel your pain man… Here’s some advice that’s worked for me, become an on-line shopper!

101. scut says:

@ kpfeif

The US postal system happens to be one the most efficient and effective organizations in our country. How much mail have you lost lately? Any bills that have not gotten to their destination? Tried sending anything to Hawaii or Alaska via those private carriers like FedEx? How much did it cost? 41 cents?

Getting back on topic…

I’m from the land of Target (Minnesota). We’re lucky enough to have beautiful Target stores here that have great selection. I’ve lived in other parts of the country, like Oklahoma, where Target is worse than Kmart and Walmart. In many rural areas of the US there isn’t anything but Walmart.

Until people start following up their outrage by changing how they shop, all the complaining is just online therapy.

102. Blackneto says:

I have not stepped foot into a walmart in 6 years.
    2 years ago my wife joined me in my crusade, fed up with the lazy staff, crappy loss leaders (she didn’t believe me that once you got past those they were the same as everwhere else)

The final straw was a double whammy. She’d bought a fryer from there, the cord broke. we tried to find a replacement, only to discover that this was a “walmart only” product (basically a loss leader) and every piece was just different enough to not take the risk of purchasing a comparable product.
    then a week later, my wife (an avid collector and nurturer of hermit crabs) saw that they had hermies new to their pet section and saw how ill they were treated. She tried to talk to the head of the pet department but was shown indifference.

Finally she gave up on walmart permanantly. turns out she was only saving about $10 a month getting the things she normally got there.
    Not a big loss.

103. elephantattack says:

@dj_skilz: “Hmm, sounds like they are using another training video instead ;)”

I wouldn’t put it past them. If I were in David’s situation… Man, you do NOT wanna know.

104. bobblack555 says:

Dude – just avoid Wal Mart. End of story.

105. Joafu says:

I went to Hotel Hell once for a Hell convention; needless to say, the sheets were made of fire. I tried to complain, but they laughed at me.

106. cruz4u says:

The only time I have yelled at someone was a walmart cashier. After waiting in line for 20 min w/ a cart full of dairy and frozen food products, the guy in front of me told me that the cashier told him he was her last customer. I refused to move. When the cashier told me she was closing I yelled to her that I’d been waiting for 20 minutes and am not moving. I was not about to wait another 20 minutes because the milk would spoil by the time I got home! (I had decided at that point that if she refused to check me out I was just going to leave the basket of groceries with her and walk out–but she checked me out anyways).

107. cruz4u says:

to add, most stores would make the last person waiting in line the last customer. Apparently that’s not walmart’s policy and it shows it in this guy’s story and mine.