The DOJ has approved a merger between Sirius and XM satellite radio, ruling that there wasn’t enough evidence to show that it would result in higher prices for consumers. We’ll see. [OrbitCast]

Comments

1. parad0x360 says:

God damnit i didnt buy stock with my tax return because i sure almost sure they were gonna deny this merger!

As a customer of Sirius im glad this is going through because it will mean lower prices, cheaper radios and possibly 1 charge per household instead of 1 per radio.

2. ChuckECheese says:

And not a moment too soon for XM, which in my opinion is circling the drain with sucky repetitious programming and suckier customer service.

3. WraithSama says:

A guy in one of my business management classes in college a few years ago had a lot of stock in Sirius, claimed he had an inside tip of something big coming up, and strongly recommended everyone in the class buy Sirius stock.

4. Hoss says:

@parad0x360: If you’re thinking lower prices due to the economies of scale — e.g., spreading Howard Stern’s contract over twice as many subscribers — I’m not sure that’s how business works. The market says they will price at the level we will pay. (As a Sirius subscriber, I’m hoping this will give me more music choices– I like Jazz — at a similar price. And hopefully give me better equipment)

5. W24x192 says:

Man alive, I love the programming, but that equipment is suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucky.

Anyway, I agree with Sirius CEO Mel K. when he retorted ‘Why would I raise prices? I’m already competing with free.’ That’s a paraphrase, but I hit the jist of it.

I hope that the merger goes through without any of the wacky proposals I’ve heard bandied about, like giving up a large portion of the channels to other ‘interests’ (which always seem to have something to do with satellite radio’s competitors), or holding an elected pay service to FCC broadcast standards. Who would pay for HBO if it was the same as NBC? Not many – looks like that would be a quick way to kill some competition, no?

6. Buran says:

Looks like my Sirius lifetime sub is going to be even more worth it than it already was.

7. Myotheralt says:

Is someone going to take this Siriusly?

8. gStein_*|bringing starpipe back|* says:

@myotheralt: oh god, that was absolutely awful. but i still lol’d.

9. Darkwish says:

You mean they weren’t the same company before? I think I’ll stick to my http://www.pandora.com stations. :)

10. cef21 says:

@Hossofcourse: They will price at the level that allows them to make the greatest profit. If they can reduce their cost, it may be that this price level is lower than where it is now.

I’m not much worried about this–satellite radio may not be perfectly competitive, but it does have substitutes like ipods, FM radio, internet-based radio (for those with good high-speed data plans), “HD” radio and so on…. If Satellite radio gets too expensive, people will just drop it in favor of those other technologies.

11. WraithSama says:

@Darkwish:

http://www.pandora.com is awesome. A friend introduced it to me a couple years back. I’ve found a lot of music I didn’t know I liked via that service.

12. sleze69 says:

It’s about friggin time. Oil merger monopolies have been approved faster.

13. TheSpatulaOfLove says:

Oooo goodie! That merger should make it easier for Clear Channel to ruin yet another broadcast media!

14. @ChuckECheese: XM has sucky service? My roommate got Sirius in his car and I got XM. We take my car to work because neither of us likes Sirius.

@Darkwish: Pandora is ok, but the stuff on it is way too mainstream. Blahblahblah music snob or whatever, but I used Pandora for a while trying to find stuff that I wouldn’t have heard about by listening to the radio, and that didn’t happen.