Customers Will Get FiOS Optical All The Way To Their Apartments, Verizon Plans

The AP made a major correction to a Verizon FiOS story we posted about yesterday. In that story, Verizon’s head of FiOS stuff for apartments said that Verizon wouldn’t be able to run optical cable up to all the apartments in two Manhattan apartment complexes and would use coaxial for the last leg. Verizon said not all apartments have the specs needed to install a necessary wall-mounted box. After the story came out, Verizon now says that it does plan to run optical to all the way up apartments that order FiOS. You may have to give up your medicine cabinent, but hey, you’re blazing with the speed of FiOS, baby!

Correction: Verizon-FiOS Story [AP]
(Photo: Dana Spiegel)

Comments

1. Beerad says:

This is great news — I can expect FIOS in my part of Brooklyn by 2029! Of course, by then I’ll probably just get satellite uplink directly wired into my brain, but won’t the anticipation of FIOS availability be exciting! Thanks Verizon for your outstanding commitment to upgrading service in major metropolitan areas!

2. B says:

Haha! Blazing with FIOS speed, indeed.

3. LionelEHutz says:

Well, then they’ll just have to find a place other than the Medicine cabinet to keep their Vicodin.

4. apotheosis says:

Verizon has committed itself to reducing global warming and carbon emissions. Burning one apartment building is more fuel-efficient and creates less greenhouse gases than burning eight or twelve individual houses.

5. ???/??? says:

:( Verizon can hope off deez. I want FIOS like crack in the 80s, but I’m going to be stuck at 6MB/s right now. I need upload speeds dammit!

6. arsonisfun says:

now if only they would give us FIOS in Boston ><

7. Jaysyn was banned for: http://consumerist.com/5032912/the-subprime-meltdown-will-be-nothing-compared-to-the-prime-meltdown#c7042646 says:

They will be doing this in most of their markets eventually. I spent a good part of last year drawing plans for this in the Texas & Northeast US markets.

No, I don’t work for Verizon… directly.

8. richcreamerybutter says:

@Beerad: Tell me about it! We’re probably in the same neighborhood.

I imagine the geographical pecking order for new cable technology goes like this: 1. every other city in the US. 2. The Suburbs. 3. The Rest of the World. 4. Turkmenistan. 5. Manhattan 6. Brooklyn, Queens

9. subodhgupta says:

I am not in NY, but here in Arlington, VA they have used Coaxial Cable for the last let. THey say they have no way of re-wiring the whole apartment.

10. Woofer00 says:

If any of you who live in NY have ever bothered to watch construction or maintenance attempts on the numerous brownstones all over NYC, you’d know any kind of upgrade is prohibitively hard due to the ultra-compact space in which they were built. High rises typically have conduits to run wiring, but townhouses are typically a disaster. Suburbs do get the first treatment, but that’s due to easy logistics – pull cable from the aboveground pole, staple wiring to the exterior and avoid the interior where possible. Imagine trying to feed cable blind behind a wall with studs blocking every turn. The only way to wire properly would be to rip out all the drywall.

11. Ragman says:

Man, those apartments MUST be small if you’re pressed for the equipment space.

12. richcreamerybutter says:

@Woofer00: In the case of my borough, I believe it has less to do with feasible wiring confuguration as opposed to a “desirable” demographic.

13. Beerad says:

@Woofer00: Good thing I don’t live in a brownstone, then, but rather a standalone, 4-story condo building, eh?

While I understand that there are logistical concerns, wouldn’t the increased population density of NYC make it a more profitable investment? And couldn’t they at least run FIOS through the neighborhoods, and maybe the last 50 yards can be coaxial cable (as was initially reported by the AP in the original article)?

@richcreamerybutter: I don’t know, they’ve managed to sell hi-speed internet to the masses, and even the less tony areas of Brooklyn are gentrifying rapidly. But maybe that’s a factor too.