Verizon Clerk Threatens Customers With Switchblade

A Verizon store employee in Monticello New York was charged with criminal possession of a weapon after threatening two customers with a switchblade knife after getting into an argument with them. The disagreement spilled out into the parking lot where the 27-year old employee, Shereem S. Burch, continued to wave his blade at the couple. Most likely they were probably trying to get out of contract without paying termination fee and Shereem decided to take matters into his own hands and exact a little termination fee of his own devising.

Cops say clerk at Verizon store in Monticello threatened 2 customers with knife [Record Online] (Thanks to boomerang86!)

Comments

1. statnut says:

He was just trying to cut their fees in half….

2. sean77 says:

Can you hear me now punk?

3. I was going to say, what is this, West Side Story? OK, since I never saw it, anyone have some Verizon Rep w/ a switchblade themed West Side Story parodies?

4. Are you a Jet now? Good.

5. statnut says:

@Git Em SteveDave:
    When you’re Verizon/you’re Verizon all the way
    From your first cell bill/til your last dying day

Thats all I got so far.

6. BuddyGuyMontag says:

It wasn’t a switchblade, it was a Razor.

7. BuddyGuyMontag says:

*snap* *snap* *snap* *snap*

8. @BuddyGuyMontag: Was it the new Str8 Razr?

9. mac-phisto says:

see what happens when you try to haggle? prices aren’t the only things that can get slashed.

10. Traveshamockery says:

Switchblade – man, that’s straight gangsta. Switchblades aren’t even legal, are they?

11. businesspearl says:

I still regret switching to T-Mobile.

12. azntg says:

Just can’t help but crack up at the picture. May the best man win LOL.

The salesman should know better than to go after customers with a switchblade. While I personally think most non-military, non-LEO New Yorkers probably won’t carry a concealed handgun, you never know!

13. rmz says:

@Git Em SteveDave: That looks like James Dean to me.

14. The Count of Monte Fisto says:

He was obviously acting in self defense, assuming that the customer would take a baseball bat to the office.

15. axiomatic says:

If this had occurred in Texas, Shereem S. Burch might have been shot, or worse. He’s very lucky that he only faces incarceration.

I also submit that the customers threatened by “Jet” Burch may have different “Verizon Faces” than we are used too on the Consumerist.

16. zjgz says:

I’m sorry sir, but there is an Early Termination Fee

17. Mayor McRib says:

I am ashamed to admit this but the pic is from Rebel Without A Cause.

18. Shannon says:

That’s how I gut sucked into Verizon, I was threatened with a switch blade.

19. Pylon83 says:

@InfiniTrent:
    Depends entirely on the state. They ARE illegal in New York. A quick perusal of a list provided by Wikipedia shows that it’s about a 50/50 split amongst the states.

20. DeafChick says:

Gangsta! I love the West Side Story reference.

21. Coles_Law says:

How long before AT&T and Sprint match this?

22. the only reason verizon terminated his employment was because he wasn’t using a company-issued switchblade, otherwise he’d still have a job (after a 5 year incarceration, of course)

23. ViperBorg says:

Hmm… how long until an EECB regarding this to get out of an ETF charge?
    Anyone?
    Anyone?

24. andrewe says:

Maybe they refused to show a receipt when leaving.

25. kbarrett says:

I blame the OP.

26. thelushie says:

What a class act.

27. Ragman says:

Well, you know some Sprint rep will bust a cap in somebody now just to one up Verizon.

Maybe he just read up to the words “Early Termination” and pulled the knife. “I’m sorry but our policy on breaking your contract is Early Termination.”

28. ChuckECheese says:

@Mayor McRib: Yes you are ashamed, because Rebel without a Cause and West Side Story are full of cringing shame. 5 years ago a friend took me to see WSS, and watching it made my body to hurt.

29. ? Final ? says:

The Phone… it was a Razor…
    Shareem just thought they wanted to borrow his.

30. oakie says:

why did the consumers follow him out to the parking lot anyways? figure they’d get some special, yet shady, side deal or something?

31. ebz06 says:

Sorry to burst the bubble, kids . . . but today’s paper corrects the specifics of this story: this particular store is a INDEPENDENT seller of Verizon products (NOT a VERIZON Wireless store). Probably one of those CD/DVD/Fried Chicken/Cellphone operations.

32. Angryrider says:

@Mayor McRib: Yep, I saw it on PBS the other month.

33. macinjosh says:

What a guy.
    Makes you cry
    Und I did.

34. Ben Popken says:

@ebz06: Link?

35. ebz06 says:

I don’t see the correction on the online version–but the story as it appears here ([www.recordonline.com])clearly identifies an “independent seller store”.

36. Anonymous says:

Although your comments are humerous they’re not accurate.. I did not wave a switch blade at civil customers.. 3 customers walk into a crowded store awaiting service, at the time I was assisting another elderly Jewish lady with compleing her purchase, agitated and imaptient theses customers began making racist and anti semitic remarks towards the woman for “holding up the line”,, When I informed them that maybe they should come back when the store was less crowded they became irrate, throwing displays, looking at the store schedule and promising me that they will be back to get me.. I shrugged it off because obviously I was too busy being the only worker iside the store at the time.. After I was finished with the customers inside the store, I proceeded with mandated organizing of the store which included removing old advertisements posted on store windows and replacing them with more current one’s.. As I was doin this, I hear “Look out behind you” and I see the males customer from the earlier dispute rushing towards me, Me being outside already with the store utility husky blade removing the tape and advertisements from the window, i than ask a customer that was inside the store chaging his phone to call the police for me.. When the police arrive the tough couple switches their story to defenseless victims of attack.. I show the police officer the anti-semitic note that they wrote in reference to the lady in line, as well as retain written statements from every customer in the store at the time, which said the same thing I’m telling you now. The police decision, since I had a prior minor felony over 10 years ago me holding the knife was “illegal”.. truth of the matter is that the agitators that came in was a police informant “Guy Meade” and the police chief and maybe some officers did not like the fact that I was workin in a place that would ask for your social security number anytime you needed tp pay a bill or make adjustments to your account.. Well the eventually the charges were settled the way they usually are in a corrupt manor.. I was given an extremely high bail, just to settle on disorderly conduct after serving a month in jail.. Just enough time for the damage..My boss acknowledges that according to the “eye witness” acconts that I was very professional and patient but the info that the media received from the “police station” gave verizon wireless bad p.r.. so I was released to save face not for being in the wrong.. So thankyou corrupt monticello police department for sending in that snitch to arrouse a situation..