Not All Verizon FiOS Customers Will Get 100% Fiber

CORRECTION: Customers Will Get FiOS Optical All The Way To Their Apartments, Verizon Plans

Interesting news for apartment dwellers everywhere: Verizon is slowly creeping into Manhattan, but the difficulties of bringing FiOS to apartments will mean that some subscribers won’t get 100% fiber.

A tenant in Stuyvesant Town and Peter Cooper Village who orders FiOS may find that the company doesn’t pull fiber all the way to the apartment, because this entails wall-mounting a box in the apartment, and not all layouts have the space for it, Cevis said.

In those cases, Verizon will pull fiber to the basement, and use a phone line to carry Internet data the last part of the way. Coaxial cable will be used for video when that becomes available. Subscribers will be able to get the fastest current Internet plan, with downloads of 50 megabits per second, but may not be able to take advantage of future speed increases available to subscribers with fiber all the way to the home.

Verizon’s first choice is to take the fiber all the way to the apartment, Cevis said.

NYC customers are also not able to get the “triple-play” package because Verizon doesn’t have a video franchise agreement with the city.

Verizon’s FiOS Takes Manhattan [AP]
(Photo:Ben Popken)

Comments

1. BeFrugalNotCheap says:

Hey I just saw a story on the news about the “shrinking” sizes of consumer products and they had Meg Marco on! *Swoons* XOXO

2. tange1 says:

Where can you find a good list of area’s that have video/TV service? I have fios in my area (new home development) and verizon hasn’t even updated maps to show this yet. Beacause the maps aren’t up to date I cant tell if TV service is or isn’t available and neither can the Techs.

3. VaMPKiSS1 says:

Nice. I hate these franchise agreements that keep pockets of non-competition alive. I can’t get the low-priced digital cable package available to the people who live a mere three minute drive from my home because that cable company doesn’t have a franchise agreement with my area.

Looks like it’s gonna be more of the same when it comes to Fios too. Awesome.

4. AD8BC says:

I would have to say that this is reasonable on the part of Verizon. Not all buildings can easily be retrofit without major renovation (tearing out drywall, etc).

5. u1itn0w2day says:

‘Fiber to the curb’ is what many of these FIOS connections are or are to be in many cases.The plan spelled out numerous times over the years is/was to bring fiber to a distribution point in the immediate area and or use coaxial cable the rest of the way.I thought I herd that they were actually twisting existing twisted pair copper for connections.

The BOCs or Bell Operating Companies have had plans for this since the early 90s but probably waited for or delayed by the ability raise rates and pass costs on to customers and keep profits high.

6. ironchef says:

FYI…it’s not a phone line that comes out of the ONT box. It’s actually CAT5e or CAT 6 ethernet.

I’ve got fiber coming into the house from Verizon. But like all installations, the very last segment is ethernet plus coax.

I seriously doubt the last connection is a phone wire because a phone wire is not shielded for data transmission.

7. azntg says:

My neighborhood will get finally get FIOS when an even newer system is in place nationwide. My apartment? Forget about it!

My neighborhood (Woodside) is about 15 minutes (by train and roughly the same with a car) away from Midtown Manhattan. Heck, I live close to the geographic center of New York City, but our neighborhood has always been and still is the last in getting infrastructure upgrades. I still can’t get the 3mbps DSL service here!

8. digitalhen says:

i hope these guys get here soon – TWC is absolutely awful

9. kingofmars says:

@u1itn0w2day: Fios is different than fiber to the curb(FTTC). In FTTC a pair of fibers was used to feed a signal to a box that had to be powered, and served many customers. FIOS uses a passive optical network, PON, with a bunch of splitters. The up side to this is that Verizon doesn’t need to power the boxes outside, and it makes the outside plant much simpler. I believe most cable companies are using a system of FTTC to server their triple-play.

10. kingofmars says:

@ironchef: Just a minor point, but there is a phone line that comes out of the ONT, but it’s just for voice. However, there is no reason Verizon couldn’t offer a ONT box that feed a DSL signal though a phone line. But you’re right, verizon will most likely feeds internet over the coax to the apartment. With my FIOS, I have the option to wire an Ethernet cable to the ONT, or use MOCA to feed the internet to a router placed anywhere there is coax in my house.

11. Narockstar says:

I long for the days that I had TWC. Try being stuck in Bushwick with nothing but crappy Cablevision. Effing Cablevision. More expensive than TWC and even worse service and DVRs.

12. -J- says:

Clarification of technologies for you all to know. Verizon, if they cannot specifically address the individual apartment (for example if it is in a larger building) will wired multiple apartments in one “data center” like room in the basement or some service closet where phone lines typically come in.

Verizon FIOS is nothing more than a DSL that can achieve VDSL speeds because of the sort distance it has from the modem to the DSLAM which is where the ONT is 10-150 feet or more away. This is in lieu to having it going 2000-10000 feet to the nearest telephone local office which limits speeds greatly.

This is still technically fiber to the home/premises by definition, the equipment, however is just slightly farther away and not taking up closet space somewhere in an apartment unit. No speed difference or bandwidth reduction is made with current speed availability for internet, tv, phone throughput.

Far too many people mistake or have a mental visualization of fiber to the home almost as if it is supposed to have a fiber optic line plugged right into the end user’s pc. That is not the case.

What Verizon desperately needs to improve on is their customer service. There is no cloak and dagger going on here with FIOS services.

13. FiOS is coming to Manhattan? They better work out that video agreement soon. Then TWC will finally start offering more than 15 cable HD channels to Manhattan while Staten Island gets over 30.

14. pianos101 says:

SO? My apartment complex is brand new and that’s how verizon fiber’d out complex… Each set of 8 apartments share a fiber internet connection, which runs individually by phone line to vDSL modems in each apartment. I don’t have a problem, and my Fios TV is stil INCREDIBLE.

15. Adam291 says:

I have Verizon FiOS in Maryland. I live in a low-rise apartment building, and they fed the fiber up to the box in the HVAC room and used coax cable to connect from that box to the router and TVs.

I have a friend in a nearby high-rise (about 18-20 floors) who is dying to ditch Comcast and waiting for FiOS. At the board meetings, Verizon said they still have to figure out the logistics of wiring such a big building, and they haven’t done any high-rises in the DC Metro area except for pre-wires of new construction.

I doubt Verizon will run fiber to each apartment, or even to each floor of big buildings. My apartment building of just 4 floors took them two weeks of work, so a large high-rise could take months.

16. synergy says:

Does this mean they’ll be constipated/irregular?

17. Bunklung says:

Correction:
    [biz.yahoo.com]

NEW YORK (AP) — In a March 24 story about Verizon Communications Inc. making its fiber-optic service available to two Manhattan apartment complexes, The Associated Press, relying on company statements, erroneously reported that Verizon may not draw fiber all the way to some apartments. Verizon later said that it does plan to run the optical cable to all apartments that order its FiOS service.

That’s one hell of a correction.

18. Ragman says:

@ironchef: Phone line = cat3, 4, 5, 5e, 6 = ethernet cable. It’s all twisted pair – no shielding required b/c the twisting cancels out external emf. Most Cat5 and Cat6 network cables are UTP – unshielded twisted pair. You can get shielded, FTP and STP, but they’re not as widely used.

All Fios installs are >= Cat 5 for internet, whatever quality twisted pair existing for phone, coax for video from the ONT. You only need to worry if you got some long cable run from the ONT.

19. FLConsumer says:

To all of those swooning over FIOS, just remember:

1) You’re dealing with Verizon and all of the horror and headache that goes along with dealing with them.

2) You’re now paying to power your own phone line. According to the Verizon field tech (and confirmed by calling their sales line), the equipment draws 60 watts continuously. Just like leaving a 60 watt lamp turned on 24/7, running up your electrical bill. Depending on where you live, that’s $40-$100/year in extra electricity used.

3) You’re going to need a cable box for EVERY TV in the house. Each one of these boxes draws ~38 watts continuous. Yes, even when it’s “off”. Add another $25-$50 to your annual electric bill with each box. This also means trying to figure out where to hide a box for those custom install locations (such as TVs behind bathroom mirrors, etc.)

20. oakie says:

@FLConsumer: good to know. i’ll be sure to contact verizon in regards to this before making my final decision for comm in my new house.

21. u1itn0w2day says:

Alot of good information posted.To me the most revealing thing is the power requirements involved.And the power bill that goes along with it.

Always heard that power was going to be one of the main issues.As was/is the equipment -I guess that’s why the BOCs waited until technology caught up so they could reduce the their cost.That’s another thing I always heard from the beginging-that the equipment involved with fiber and not the fiber itself was where all the costs would be.

22. aaronw1 says:

It depends exactly what 100% “fiber” is. My parents have fios in a single family dwelling and the fiber goes to the ONT box mounted on the outside. There are two cat5/6 cables going inside (one for internet, one for phone), and a future coax cable (for when Montgomery County allows TV service). This is as good as you can get to ‘fiber to the house’. It doesn’t matter if the ONT is on the side of the house or at the bottom of the building in the telco closet *SO LONG AS* the equipment can operate TV/internet/pjone with the length of cable coming off the ONT… I don’t know what that distance limitation is. I also wasn’t aware that they could deliver the internet over the coax from the ONT.

23. frieze says:

I just had my Fios install in my new apartment in my newly constructed building in Manhattan. Because they too didn’t want to install the (rather large) access box in the apartments they installed them all in the telco utility closets every 6 floors. They then ran Cat5 (or 5e or 6, I don’t know) to the individual apartments. Since the in-building cable runs are short enough for regular ethernet there shouldn’t be a problem with throughput on the copper. I don’t know that the ONT box has for an ethernet out port, but if they are wired for gigabit ethernet it shouldn’t (by my math) be a problem.