McDonald's Has Nutritional Info Right On Boxes

Googling reveals they’ve been doing this for over a year, but I ate a cheeseburger yesterday at McDonald’s and they had the “nutritional” info right on the hamburger box. They didn’t have it on the fries which I thought was silly. Otherwise, neat, and a good move towards more disclosure. Thanks to it I learned that the hamburger contained 50% of my RDA of sodium. Yummy!

Comments

1. muddymaesuggins says:

they definitely have them on the fries. its smaller, but its there.

2. It’s on all the boxes and wrappers of my local McD’s here in Tampa, FL. Fries, more than anything, make me feel the most guilt.

3. MoustacheRiders says:

What great placement for McDonald’s nutritional information. That’s the spot on the box that’s usually so coated with grease, that its printing is nearly unreadable.

4. LatherRinseRepeat says:

Pretty cool. But the flaw is that you don’t see the nutritional info until after you’ve purchased the product. I think they have nutritional info brochures somewhere in the restaurant, but sometimes they’re placed in obscure/hidden places.

5. DrGirlfriend says:

I just noticed this last week. I know that it’s high in fat and calories and all that, but I immediately felt 10x worse knowing what the exact damage was.

6. Simkins says:

At least its there, and if you are relying on the nutritional info to know if you should or should not eat at McDonalds , you may have other issues.

7. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

The chances that your individual portion has exactly the nutritional information listed is? I suppose it’s remotely possible at McD’s, where everything is as rigorously standardized as possible.

That said, even a slice of tomato can vary as much as 100% of its nominal amount of vitamin C, depending on its variety, ripeness, growing and storing conditions, and the variance in the size of the slice. A Coke could be more or less watered down and contain more or less caffeine and sugar. Etc.

8. eggshelld says:

They’ve been doing this for quite a while, I thought. And it’s definitely on the fries, though admittedly it’s in an awkward, overlookable spot, and the black print is difficult to read on that red background… Wow, I suddenly feel I know far too much about McDonald’s packaging. I swear I haven’t eaten there in at least a few days, guys.

9. typetive says:

It’s not on my Egg McMuffin. (But I order mine without the meat and managed to calculate the nutritional aspects of it a couple of years ago via their website. Really, not an unhealthy breakfast.)

10. modenastradale says:

@Simkins:

Now, that’s silly. That kind of sentiment is what hobbles the momentum of mandatory nutritional disclosure policies.

Eating at McDonald’s is not going to make you fat, or give you heart disease, per se. For one thing, McDonald’s offers several items that have a great macronutrient balance and overall calorie level — such as the Grilled Chicken Classic, which is about 450 calories, 50% carbs, 30% protein, and 20% fat.

For another thing, even a Big Mac dripping with special sauce can fit into a structured diet! It’s not off-limits because it’s called a “Big Mac.” It’s only off-limits if it interferes with your total daily calorie and macronutrient needs, cholesterol limits, or whatever other metrics you have set for yourself.

Most people wouldn’t think it, but oftentimes, a Big Mac would be *less* fattening than sitting down in a better restaurant and ordering a salad — with dressing on the side! That’s why nutritional disclosure is important; without information, consumers cannot possibly make informed decisions (except the decision to avoid consuming food from any nondisclosing source).

11. Wormfather says:

@MoustacheRiders: If it’s covered in greese, what more do you need to know?

12. vasquire32 says:

I’d first like to say that Micky Dees has been doing this for a LONG while. LOL. I was actually surprised to see it posted today.

@ modenastradale:

I completely understand what you’re saying in regards to calories, carbs and fat; however, McDonalds, even when accounted for in a structured diet is NOT healthy. I’m not a nutritionist, but I do have common sense. There has to be some reason why after I eat fast food at McD’s or BK I almost immediately have to “use the restroom” (if you know what I mean), but if I cook my own burger at home and use my own beef or make my own chicken tenders out of fresh chicken, I don’t feel like I’m about to pass a truck.

It’s not just the calories and fat content that you should take in to account when eating fast food. Those Big Macs are loaded with chemicals and compounds that just should not be eaten on a regular basis. Our bodies were not made to absorb them, see high fructose corn syrup for example. After a week of eating fast food every day for lunch, my skin looks like I was attacked with a B.B. gun. There has to be some explanation for that considering I make a point of eating FEWER calories than normal on days where I eat at a fast food restaurant.

13. azntg says:

It’s about time they did this. It may not be exact nutrientional information for the sandwich I’m holding, but a basic guideline is always welcome and appreciated.

14. greenpepper says:

You’d feel a lot better eating there if you saw the content of food from other restaurants.

Costco’s single pizza slice has 102% of the daily saturated fat and it only gets worse. Check out other places at this site and you’ll feel pretty good about eating at McD’s. Personally, I go there without guilt but always pass on the laden sauces.

[www.dietfacts.com]

15. synergy says:

I try not to go to any fast food places. If I do, I go to Wendy’s. I worked at a food quality lab and Wendy’s in the city always had the best ratings of all the fast food places.

16. revmatty says:

Most places have had this info online for years. If you eat fast food even semi regularly you should really take a look at the sites for the places you frequent. At least figure out the least bad for you options.

17. XianZomby says:

There’s a disclaimer on the packaging that says the individual preparation of McDonalds food could vary the nutritional content.

18. katylostherart says:

they have it on the fries.

19. uricmu says:

It’s been there for a long time on the paper packages of the burgers. Not sure how you didn’t come across them. Not really news.

20. drjayphd says:

Not on the chicken sandwiches, although to be fair, they use the same packaging, presumably, for both grilled and crispy takes on three different sandwiches. Can’t cram six choices into a box that small.

21. Coles_Law says:

McD’s has different boxes for grilled and crispy-there was a time where they listed all three choices on each box. They must’ve stopped it. They’ve never been on the breakfast wrappers for the same reason.

22. mgy says:

@vasquire32: I almost immediately have to use the restroom (we’re not talking pee, here) whenever I drink coffee in the mornings. Can you tell me why that is?

23. Buran says:

I’ve had a McDonald’s burger more recently than a year ago and there was no nutrition info. I don’t go there much, and have no desire to, so I’m not going to check again any time soon.

24. Crovie says:

Over here, all the nutritional info is printed on the reverse of the tray liners, and they also have it posted on the wall right next to the counter. I suppose the degree of disclosure varies from region to region.

25. @typetive: Are you typetive as in… of Candy Blog? I love your blog. I don’t even eat candy but your photographs and such are awesome. I bet you get that all the time.

Meh, when I am making one of my extremely rare visits to McDonald’s for some fries (don’t eat meat, don’t go there more than once or twice a year), I really don’t want a reminder of how grotesquely bad for me they are. I remember reading somewhere that a healthy serving of french fries is 12 fries. Sad, sad, sad.

26. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

@mgy: Coffee is a known laxative. It does that to everyone, to a greater or lesser degree.

27. lizk says:

They haven’t been doing this at the McDonald’s where I live. They have plain white wrappers with orange writing–no boxes. The fry boxes are plain red boxes with a yellow M–again, no other writing.

28. oakie says:

as if you fatasses who eat at McDonalds really care about nutritional info. if you did, you wouldnt be eating there or at any fast food joint in the first place.

this must be an early april fools day joke.

29. MyCokesBiggerThanYours says:

This is completely outrageous and needs to stop! …And who in their right mind eats at McDonalds thinking it’s healthy!? Next think you know, you’ll expect us to believe 40+ years of health warning on packages of cigarettes!

30. @MyCokesBigger…: I don’t think the odd trip to McD’s makes anyone a fatass. Moderation, moderation.

31. apotheosis says:

Hey guys I saw this one guy on TV one time that says if you eat nothing but McDonald’s for like 30 days straight, it’ll make you REALLY REALLY unhealthy.

Can you BELIEVE it? Insightful. Thought-provoking. Cutting-edge. He’s my hero.

32. y0shidono says:

@DrGirlfriend: No joke! I think I’ve sworn off double quarter-pounders forever having discovered that it gives me something like 98% of daily SATURATED fat. I almost went bulimic that very instant.