- Be open and friendly in your discussion with the salesperson, ask for them to “work with you” on the price
- Be discreet, don’t broadcast to other shoppers that you’re getting a deal
- Escalate to a manager if the salesperson isn’t empowered to make a decision
- Do your research so you know the fair price to ask for
- Be creative, ask for free shipping
- Offer to pay cash so they don’t have to pay a credit card transaction fee
Still sound hard to do? When Consumer Reports surveyed its readers, even if they were embarrassed by the process, they reported being successful more than half the time.
Check out some of our other posts on haggling for more tips on the art of the deal.