Nasty Spring Snowstorm Affecting Flights In And Out Of Chicago

A nasty spring snowstorm is messing with Chicago says reader humphrmi:

Just thought I’d get the word out… Chicago is getting smacked with a spring snowstorm. I just went outside and it’s nearly white-out conditions outside.

The FAA says:

Due to WEATHER / SNOW-ICE, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving Chicago OHare International Airport, Chicago, IL (ORD). This is causing some arriving flights to be delayed an average of 2 hours and 15 minutes.

MSNBC says that over 350 flights have already been canceled at O’Hare, so be sure to call your airline and see what’s up if you’re headed in or out of Chicago. If you’re already stuck at O’Hare, smile, the AP is taking photos (seen above).

“Travelers catch a nap at Chicago’s O’Hare International airport Friday, March 21, 2008. An unseasonable snow storm moving across northern Illinois has caused the cancellations of about 350 flights at O’Hare.”

O’Hare Cancels 350 Flights — So Far [MSNBC]
(AP Photo/M. Spencer Green)

Comments

1. SarcasticDwarf says:

Milwaukee has been closed all day as well and is not expected to open until tomorrow. That puts at least two out of three of the hubs in the upper midwest out of service. In short, you are not flying today.

2. Sndtrkman says:

What a way to start off Chicago’s Spring, with a winter snowstorm. Hopefully this will be the last one before next season because I can’t stand seeing more snow.

3. trujunglist says:

In other words, add 2 hours and 15 minutes of wait time to the 3 hours you already expect going in our out of O’Hare.

4. hi says:

All this is due to global warming of course… cause when the globe gets warm it snows a lot.

5. Buran says:

We are however dealing with flooding in some areas due to Milwaukee sending us way too much water down the river…

6. burgundyyears says:

DTW is starting to get hit hard here as well so expect another major hub to have major issues soon.

7. lightaugust says:

Thanks for turning a helpful post about the weather for people travelling on Easter weekend into another way to dispel and argue with the scientific research ever about global warming! … And with the brilliant, if slightly overused, ‘Well, it’s cold today, so global warming’s a myth!’ argument. No good deed goes unpoliticized, I guess. Stay warm, everybody!

8. PirateSmurf says:

What is Snow? is that Dandruff from heaven?

9. PirateSmurf says:

@hi: You dont think much do you? Its okay, just dont keep your head in the sands of denial too long because eventually you will drown.

10. Paul_Blackstone says:

Anyone know the prognosis for Midway? Assumably not good, but perhaps a little better than O’Hare?

11. badgeman46 says:

Its that pesky global warming! Everyone knows that with record snowfall and cold temperatures, it is because it is getting hotter! Duh!

12. Buran says:

@lightaugust: Yeah. Go figure. The answer, of course, is that weather is a short term phenomenon while climate is long-term. But I agree, let’s not get into it.

13. failurate says:

@Buran: You know they pooped in it first.
    [en.wikipedia.org]

14. failurate says:

@badgeman46: Hey! Don’t @#$% with the new religion.

15. Myotheralt says:

I just had to rebook for 0600 OKC to ORD, bit teh comped a nice hotel.

16. humphrmi says:

@Paul_Blackstone: When I submitted the story, Midway was doing better than O’Hare – 30 minute delays and only about a dozen cancellations. But check first, before you go, of course.

17. Mr. Cynical says:

I am a United whore but today I flew into Denver, not Chicago- THANK GOD!

18. jonworld says:

I live in the Chicagoland area and people tell me they’ve never seen worse road conditions here. It’s been snowing since early morning and the plows still have to come- more than 12 hours later. Cars are getting stuck everywhere.

Anyway, given this information, I would say it’s gonna be a long time before O’hare “catches up” on its delayed flights.

19. rdldr1 says:

@jonworld:
    I live by the lake and it was blizzard-like out here until late after-noon.
    The worst thing is that the day before the blizzard, it was about 40 out and all i needed was a hoodie outside.

20. rdldr1 says:

@Buran:
    “Ahh, the Midwest. Milwaukee and Chicago are slammed while it’s 21 degrees C here in St. Louis.”

Is St. Louis where you live somewhere in Europe where they use the metric system?

21. I always feel bad for folks stuck in an airport: the seats uncomfortable, the food overpriced and you can’t get a moments rest for fear someone will jack you in your sleep. In a perfect world, there would be comfy beds and hot food for stranded passengers. Le sigh.

22. SarcasticDwarf says:

@ceejeemcbeegee (just debatin’ not hatin’): It gets even better when you are stranded at one. I ended up sleeping at LAX last year (and was one of only ~3 people stranded in the whole airport). The worst part about trying to sleep is that nice soft music that you hear during the day is REALLY LOUD when there are not human noises to drown it out.

23. sam says:

Welcome, Spring!

24. Buran says:

@rdldr1: I prefer it, what’s wrong with that?

25. Buran says:

@failurate: Yuck. Fortunately, I’m far to the east of the flooding areas, which are many of the same areas affected by the Flood of 1993 — low-lying areas near the Meramec River.

26. kepler11 says:

One tip that many of you may benefit from —
    When weather problems strike a city in your itinerary, airlines often issue change fee waivers, and this can be a very helpful way to make changes to your ticket at no cost — even unaffected portions later that you wanted to change but didn’t because of a non-refundable ticket or penalties.
    So for example, scheduled to fly through Chicago today and the airline has issued a waiver policy? Take advantage of it to change both today’s flight and your return to the day you actually wanted at the same time.

27. rdldr1 says:

@Buran: just joking, man

28. StevieD says:

It was a balmy 70 this moring, high of 78(?) with about 30% humidity. Flowers are blooming and there are reports of bikinis are being spotted.

Ah, life is good.

29. OwenCatherwood says:

Glad I flew through O’Hare on the 20th and not the 21st…

30. Buran says:

@rdldr1: I know, sorry – the internet is really good at making things sound more serious than they are.

31. @Buran: LOL. My mother in Chicago keeps calling me in Peoria to go “Is it snowing on you?”

I’m like, um, no, and aren’t you staring at the Weather Channel like usual when it snows on you? I’m in the part of the state where there’s NO SNOW and it’s 50 degrees and sunnyish.

32. @jonworld: Jesus just wanted everyone to stay home and pray for a change on Good Friday. ;)

33. failurate says:

@jonworld: Here in SE WI, I think we’ve burned through our salt and diesel budget… So some roads are just going to have to work things out on their own.

34. DeltaPurser says:

Just another reason why I live in the Sunshine State.

35. Greasy Thumb Guzik says:

@hi:
    Actually, that’s sort of true.
    The worst snow & ice storms are usually south of Chicago from the Texas Panhandle, up through the Ohio River valley.
    Global warming has pushed those storms north this year where they collide with the colder Arctic air.
    The moisture that the snow requires comes from the Gulf of Mexico. The Alberta Clippers that come from the northwest of here drop just a couple of inches of light, fluffy snow, not the heavy wet stuff that fell yesterday & continues today.
    A really cold winter often has less snow than a warmer one because of a lack of moisture. That will probably change as the Arctic ice cap disappears in winter 50 years from now.

36. badgeman46 says:

@failurate: I better not upset the almighty Al Gore. Be sure to leave carbon credits in the collection plate at the end of the sermon.

37. rdldr1 says:

@Buran: forgot the tags

38. rdldr1 says:

…{/sarcasm} tags. Damn html.