Get Info On BPA-Free Baby Products Via Text Messaging

If you’ve got a baby and you’re concerned about buying unlabeled products that contain Bisphenol A or BPA—which some studies have indicated may lead to adverse health effects in humans—the website Z Recommends has just launched a free text messaging service that lets you query their database of companies while you’re standing in the store. They’ve also got a printable wallet-card you can carry with you, which serves as both a cheat-sheet for the text service and a quick reference source for major companies.

“The Z Report on BPA In Children’s Feeding Products, Third Edition” [Z Recommends]

Comments

1. Peeved Guy says:

Not a bad idea. Someone should come up with something like this for lead-tainted toys, or better yet, toy recalls in general. Or maybe someone already has, anyone?

2. Islandkiwi says:

I know that for our bottles we’ve been using the Playtex Drop-ins, those are BPA free. We considered glass but it was a little pricier than we expected, and the constant cleaning of those bottles seemed more of a headache in the long run.

3. kimsama says:

This is just a fantastic implementation. I’m off to visit a friend who just gave birth, and I’m going to let her know about this.

This sort of “on-demand” consumer information is promising. How many people’s problems on this site would be prevented if they had the appropriate information on their purchases before making them? (I’m thinking a legal database query coulda helped the Utah couple with the car snafu, or say, info on failure rates for electronics before someone purchases an extended warranty).

4. Jackasimov says:

There’s some nice little bottles made by Evenflo. They’re downright cheap. We used them and had no problems. Better to be safe than end up with a f’cked up kid, no?

Cue the retards who claim it’s all sensationalism and media fear-mongering.

Show me someone who doesn’t think this makes sense and I’ll show you a jackass that was fed by a plastic bottle and then dropped on his head a few times as a tot.

5. Jackasimov says:

Just curious. If this appears before my last comment.

6. marsneedsrabbits says:

Z Recs rocks, especially on this issue. I used it’s BPA guide to purchase bottles, pacis, and sippy cups and also dumped our Lexan water bottles because of their report.

I hope BPA becomes a non-issue soon – it should be banned. It really is some yucky stuff.