Phishers Target Google Calendars

Phishers have a new target: your Google Calendar. Nigerian-419-type scammers are spamming sending their messages as meeting invites on people’s Google’s Calendars. This happened to me a few days ago. One way to combat it is to change the “Automatically Add Invites To My Calendar” setting from Yes to No.

BitDefender Finds Spammers are Leveraging Google Applications [via The Raw Feed]

Comments

1. Parting says:

I’m currently having fun with a scammer trying to make me ship my laptop to Africa. As coordinates to sending money, I gave him address of Police head office in our city :)

2. Tigerman_McCool says:

What? This guy seems legit…

3. emjsea says:

They’re doing it on Yahoo calendar as well. I received something like this and deleted it.

4. Parting says:

@Tigerman_McCool: Especially with all the spilleng mistakes *grin*

5. Smitherd says:

@chouchou: Brilliant!

My buddy and I once pissed off an overseas scammer. He wanted to buy my television, valued at around $650. He sent a bogus check “backed” by Citibank.

The “buyer’s” name was different from the name on the envelope, which was also different from the name on the check. After a call to Citibank, I verified that not only was the account number printed in the wrong place on the check, but the account did not even exist [big surprise.]

The scam was a double-whammy: not only would he have gotten a television, but the fake check was one of those “overpayment” scams, in which he sends around $5000 more than the amount of the item and asks you to pay it back.

We told him we would ship the television right away, but that he needed to pay shipping, because we had already begun the process of refunding his $5000 and did not have the money to ship it. He was going to pay for the television to be picked up and shipped via UPS. We took an old broken television, shot it, placed fireworks inside, and dragged it behind an ATV for a while. Basically, the television was mutilated.

We took the casing from it, filled it with all the broken parts of the television and other various useless components, along with a giant framed blowup photo of the television he thought he was getting, and placed them inside the box for UPS to pick up; right about this time, it had taken long enough for him to get his refund and he had not gotten it; he got suspicious and canceled the whole deal. So, we didn’t get scammed out of a television or money, but it would have been glorious if the prank had gone through.

6. Angryrider says:

I’d like to meet a Nigerian named “Patrick Moore!”

7. DogTown says:

My Google gmail account rarely gets any spam but earlier this week I got on of those Nigerian scam emails which I deleted immediately.

8. mmcnary says:

Everyone who likes to see these guys scammed back should check out 419eater.com. It will brighten your day…

9. mgy says:

@mmcnary: I love when the stories that end up with random Nigerians getting tattoos or being forced into Monty Python sketch remakes. That site is one of the best things to happen to the internet.

10. dragonfire81 says:

The funny thing is regardless of how the scam reaches you, it’s the same approach all the time. As long as you are familiar with it, you’ll be safe no matter what.

Scam artists might be clever with how they try and hook you, but they aren’t too bright in other areas.

11. GrandizerGo says:

@Smitherd:
    I hardly think you pissed him off…
    And if you had shipped it you would have been the ones in trouble anyways.
    Shipping fireworks??
    Yeah please do that…
    :rolls eyes:

12. tme2nsb says:

@GrandizerGo: Yes, we should send live venoms snakes and spiders instead.

13. viriiman says:

How about the P-P-P-Powerbook?

[easynetworknyc.com]

14. Nytmare says:

@GrandizerGo: Not shipping fireworks, lighting them.

15. Smitherd says:

@GrandizerGo: We lit the fireworks inside the television to destroy it while we still had it.

16. rmz says:

Obligatory link to 419eater.com!

17. chartrule says:

taken from the phonebusters.com website

SPAM is a major problem that takes up valuable time and increases costs for consumers, business and governments.

Don’t try, don’t buy and don’t reply to SPAM. Just delete it. It’s a great way to prevent receiving more SPAM in the future.