A 9-page look at how big business has been scoring big wins in the Supreme Court over the past 30 years [NYT].

Comments

1. BrianH says:

If I was bulemic I’d thank you.

2. Counterpoint says:

I find this quote very interesting:

“Could it be, then, that the court is reflecting an elite consensus while contravening the sentiments of most Americans?”

That is precisely why we have three branches of government. Two can be directly influenced by popular opinion / vote, while the Supreme Court is only indirectly affected via nominees for the rare vacancies.

As long as they are following the letter of the law, it’s a good thing. Once they start bending rules to their favorites, be it big business or other, then they’ve gone beyond their role and we should be concerned. I admit, I didn’t read past page 3ish so I am not sure which side they are falling on for this issue.

3. doctor_cos wants you to remain calm says:

The upcoming Exxon decision will in all likelihood be a big indicator to the less perceptive.

I was not aware that you cannot sue the maker of a medical device when it fails because the device has been ‘approved’ by the FDA. Thanks, Court.

How many times do I have to point out that the ‘government’ of this and most other countries has been bought and paid for long, long ago.

4. stacye says:

@Counterpoint: Too bad. It really starts to get interesting after the 5th page.

5. Paul D says:

Hate to break it to you, but “big business” has been manipulating our legal system for a lot longer than 30 years.

In the late 1880s, the Supreme Court interpreted the 14th Amendment to give corporations all the rights of individual citizens (own property, contribute to political campaigns, etc.)

Unfortunately, corporations have never been held to the same level of responsibility as an ordinary citizen. They get all the bennies, but don’t get held to the same standard for criminal activity.

This phenomenon is well documented in the excellent film The Corporation. IMO, all Consumeristas should see it.

6. myasir says:

What happens when you are impacted by a drug or medical device that’s FDA approved now but gets yanked some time in the future because the FDA says “Whoops, our bad, we didn’t know it was really unsafe.” What recourse do you have then? At this rate, they might as well put corporate sponsorship patches on the justices robes like they do on NASCAR racing suits. We can all rise to the honorable Justice Alito sponsored by Pepsi.