Woman Sues American Airlines Over Masturbating Passenger

A woman has filed a $200,000 lawsuit against American Airlines alleging the flight crew failed to protect her from a passenger who moved into the seat next to hers while she was sleeping, then “masturbated to her” and—well, you’ve seen “There’s Something About Mary”? Yeah, that.

From the Fort Worth Star-Telegram:

The woman slept most of the flight, but awoke about 20 minutes before landing when the pilot announced the plane was on descent into Los Angeles. When the woman opened her eyes, she saw that an unknown man had moved into the seat next to her and was staring at her as he masturbated, the suit states.

The woman turned toward the window in embarrassment and in an act of nervousness began to run her fingers through her hair where she noticed “a substantial amount of an extremely sticky substance in her hair,” the suit states.

The woman began to cry and tried to get the attention of a flight attendant, but was unsuccessful, the suit states. Finally a passenger in the row in front of the woman comforted her and verified the semen in her hair, the suit states.

When the plane landed, employee called airport police and the man was arrested.

The suit claims that during the police investigation, the flight crew acknowledged they saw the man move from his assigned seat to the seat next to the woman while she slept.

(Thanks to Rob!)

“Woman files lawsuit against AMR because passenger next to her masturbated while she slept” [Star-Telegram]
(Photo: Cubbie_n_Vegas)

Comments

1. tokenblackgirl says:

now that is Hilarious, the question is, how did that amount to $200,000.00?

2. Moosehawk says:

Holy shit.

3. henwy says:

Ya, like that’s something the airlines have to monitor too. It’s one thing if they saw it and ignored it, but quite another if no flight attendant was made away of the situation.

4. picshereplz says:

Wow, I don’t even know what to think about this one.

5. meeroom says:

I feel for her, and that is gross, but why is this American Airline’s fault? The guy is a perv and should be prosecuted but I fail to see why she should be compensated for this.

6. differcult says:

@Moosehawk: Holy Sperm

7. coan_net says:

I like how this story is to blame the airline staff for letting this person move to this empty seat.

Next week, we will have a story to blame the airline staff for not letting someone’s child move to an empty seat next to them after the plane is in the air and it is obvious the seat is empty.

The act was caught – the man was arrested. What more should have happened?

8. coan_net says:

test

9. R3PUBLIC0N says:

That’s horrible. I’m just not sure AA is liable, though clearly she’s going to get a shit ton of money anyhow.

10. what an ass, the rulebook clearly states this is not a legitimate way to become part of the mile-high club. disqualified!

11. flyingphotog says:

I agree most of the blame falls on the perv. But AA can also be blamed because if the flight attendants were doing their jobs (walking the aisles) they would have seen the perv in action, and may have stopped him before the “damage” was done.

12. Phildawg says:

wow! She does deserve some compensation as it should not be a policy of ‘sleep at your own risk’ on a long flight.

13. PinkBox says:

She needs to sue the man who did it – not the airline.

Of course, suing the airline could mean more money, so I’m sure that is why she took that route.

14. snoop-blog says:

i know this is sad, but, at first i was lmao!!! i can’t help but wonder if what this woman looks like! j/k.

15. str1cken says:

While this is clearly not AA’s fault, I’m still waiting for the there’s-one-on-every-topic commenter that attempts to explain why this is HER fault.

16. snoop-blog says:

yeah the fa should have totally gave the man a comlimentary tissue.

17. Aphex242 says:

Agreed, AA isn’t liable. The guy should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

18. snoop-blog says:

jeez i need more coffee yall. sorry for the typos.

19. Rectilinear Propagation says:

@coan_net:

20. Skrizzy says:

I think she’s going after AA for not giving her attention when she was asking for it. She really should be going after the guy for the money however.

The guy should burn in hell.

21. Rectilinear Propagation says:

What I want to know is how this guy was able to do this without ANYBODY noticing. How is that possible?!?!

22. snoop-blog says:

@Rectilinear Propagation: TPS…..tiny penis syndrome.

23. homerjay says:

@flyingphotog: Now its their job to randomly walk the aisles and look for pervs? A flight attendants #1 job is to keep you alive, not to ensure you don’t get spooged upon.

This woman should have screamed or something. Its not like the guy was gonna pull a knife on her or something. You can’t get knives on…. oh wait.

24. itsallme says:

She was obviously too pretty to be flying and should have been denied boarding.

25. SpenceMan01 says:

Glad to see that the airlines are starting to bring back the complimentary in-flight items. I’m not sure how many passengers are going to need emergency hair gel, but it’s a thoughful gesture.

In all seriousness, that is really gross. I’m not sure if the airline is to blame, but that’s for the courts to decide. I’m glad the dude was arrested, though.

26. ClayS says:

@snoop-blog:
    That sounds like a good defense on the man’s part. He needed a tissue, looked around, there was no flight attendant in sight, and he did the only thing he could do.

27. thirdbase says:

200,000.00 Jeez even Elliot Spitzer wouldn’t pay that.
    She should take it as a compliment.

28. Sparkstalker says:

@Rectilinear Propagation: I think the problem is that the plane was on final approach, thus all the flight attendants were already seated for landing.

And while I’m not blaming the woman at all, I just don’t understand why she didn’t knock the everliving crap out of him…

29. ClayS says:

@Skrizzy:
    ” think she’s going after AA for not giving her attention when she was asking for it. She really should be going after the guy for the money however.”

AA probably has a lot more money that the perpetrator.

“The guy should burn in hell.”

I take it you find his actions disturbing.

This incident reminds of a game at Yankee stadium a good while back. I wasn’t there, but a friend of mine was. He witnessed a man urinating off the end of the stadium tier, onto the heads of fans seated below. That could ruin one’s day as well.

30. bohemian says:

Hmm. Even after the fact and the obvious commotion that got the attention of someone in the row ahead of her didn’t get the flight attendants attention. Not to mention they would have seen something if they had been walking the aisles. I see some liability with the airlines. I think she should sue both the airline and the guy who did this. He deserves all the embarrassment and punishment they can heap on him.

The only fault I could possibly find with the woman is that she should have started screaming bloody murder the minute she realized what this guy was doing. But people all have differing ways of dealing with things.

31. B says:

@itsallme: That’s why Southwest wouldn’t let her fly.

32. IrisMR says:

Totally creepy. I can’t imagine what I would’ve done.

It’s worth 200,000.

33. ogman says:

Finally, an Airline offering true luxury services! It’s long past time for the in flight massage and complimentary coiff conditioning. Obviously, this customer was not fully informed as to the benefits of the natural, pre-warmed, high protein treatment. Once she fully experiences her soft and silky new doo, she’ll be the one dishing the 200k.

34. snoop-blog says:

UPDATE: the man got away scott free under the first amendment. apparently it was a political demonstration because he had “i like bush” tattooed on his thingy.

35. ogman says:

@ClayS: ROFL!

36. ExecutorElassus says:

Okay, this is totally gross. How did he manage to get it into her hair? Was he sitting down? That’s a pretty long, uh, shot.
    Sorry.
    She should have started screaming bloody murder, and beat the piss out of him. Publicly humiliating these guys is the only remedy.

37. hills says:

eeeewwwwwwwwwww!

ps – I’d like to know more details about what the woman did to try to get the attention of the flight crew…. reasonable effort, or what? yes, it sucks, but doesn’t seem to be AA’s fault.

38. snoop-blog says:

typical man for ya, only worried about himself.

39. Thomas Palmer says:

@homerjay: Actually, that is not their main job. Their main job is to protect and serve the interests of the airline. That job may include keeping the consumer happy as well as informed on safety procedures. They only go over those safety procedures at the beginning of the flight to protect themselves against lawsuits in-case something goes wrong.

Anyway, if you wanted to go along the lines that you claim where “a flight attendant’s #1 job is to keep you alive,” then the flight attendants should have stopped the man. Bodily fluids are a health risk. Ask any doctor. That is why it was unsanitary if a boy added the same bodily fluid to a open mayonnaise jar in school (referencing to an event last year).

40. Drowner says:

@ExecutorElassus: YES. Goodness yes. Also, I think yelling “THIS PERVERT JUST PUT SEMEN IN MY HAIR!” while beating the piss out of him would have gotten alot more attention than softly crying.

I think a description of what she did to get the flight attendants’ attention would be helpful.

41. 51tiggy says:

As a female who’s ‘been there, been subjected to that (or similar)”, my advice and course of action would be to loudly embarrass the perv with a comment like WHAT THE F*** ARE YOU DOING IN AN UNASSIGNED SEAT MASTURBATING INTO MY HAIR, YOU FILTHY PERVERT?”
    That would hopefully alert the rest of the cabin to the issue and recruit support, if the stewardesses choose to ignore requests for assistance.

42. 51tiggy says:

oops just saw DROWNER’s similar rec

43. Cocotte says:

I think the airline is liable in that they did not adequately guarantee her safety on the flight. They allowed a man to move into the seat beside her when she was sleeping – when is there a good reason for that? And then of course when she did ask for help they couldn’t be bothered.
    I remember once I waited half an hour after calling for a flight attendant. When I finally got someone as they were passing down the aisle, they said they’d seen the light but it was on so long they assumed it was on by accident.

44. cuiusquemodi says:

In all likelihood, she wants a settlement from AA, who might want to see this story go quickly away. Yes, it strains rational credulity how the airline is at fault, but if you’re AA, do you want people remembering this story when they’re booking their next flight? Unless she can prove that AA had a duty to watch passengers that closely at all times, especially during initial descent and landing, legally, she doesn’t have much of a case.

At the least, she should be able to hit the guy for intentional infliction of emotional distress (IANAL).
    If he has any assets worth getting.

45. Kos says:

@flyingphotog:

I agree — its about walking the aisle. Granted, it could have happened if the guy was assigned to the seat originally and the attendants were seated for landing. But, as a policy, airlines should not allow someone to switch seats next a passenger who is sleeping. It is a bit creepy.

46. ViperBorg says:

How is AA not liable? I mean, seriously, they saw him move while she was sleeping, then did nothing as he masturbated right next to her? It’s not like it’s that easy of an act to hide. That’s just ignorance on the part of the AA staff. Yes, they are liable. They have the duty to stop such acts on board an aircraft.

47. zentec says:

First the airlines are hounded for abusive and restrictive passenger policies, and people piss and moan when flight attendants are “too assertive”. Now we have someone who is an unfortunate victim of a sex crime and suddenly we want American Airlines to babysit us?

C’mon, it’s not their job. They barely can keep the planes in the air.

48. ohiomensch says:

@ExecutorElassus:

It transferred to her hair from her hand.

Which I would interpret to mean he used her hand in lieu of a tissue while she was sleeping.

I don’t find this at all funny. In the 90′s when I was traveling with my two children, who were 9 and 11 at the time, we had a similar incident.

We were on a southwest flight, one of those flying bus flights that made 4 stops before our final destination. The kids and I were sitting in those seats that faced each other, but by Kansas city the flight was full.

This guy gets on the plane with his girlfriend, and a pile of newspapers on his lap. Throughout the flight, he would reach his hand under the newspapers, which would bounce up and down, all the while staring at my 9 year old daughter.

I asked the flight attendant to do something. Her answer was, “Well he isn’t exposing himself, and the plane is full so we can’t move you.”

After we landed, I complained again to the flight attendant, I complained to the pilot. I complained to the people at the Southwest desk. I even wrote a letter to SW complaining of the incident to which they never responded. I have only flown SW once since then, without incident, and only because the tickets were free.

I don’t know how I feel about AA being sued, but it seems to me like its the only way they take this kind of thing seriously.

49. IssaGoodDay says:

@Thomas Palmer:

Agreed! What he had AIDS and some of the semen dripped down into her eyes/into a small cut on her head/any other porous place on her body, giving her a potentially fatal and incurable disease? Now, I don’t think she should hold the Airline responsible, as what flight attendant walks up and down the aisles looking for guys masturbating…. I do think though that she should’ve been able to get a flight attendant a bit easier.

50. LionelEHutz says:

Talk about a sticky situation.

51. deedrit says:

Holy shit, reminds me of Silence of the Lambs.

52. deserthiker says:

Never fly on a plane with Peter North.

53. moore850 says:

what, no pics? seriously though, that’s the grossest thing ever and the airline should get sued for not helping. Also, the TSA should be held at fault for not catching perverts as well as terrorists.

54. c00ler_dood says:

that’s pretty f’ed up.

She should sue the guy, too!

55. coan_net says:

@Rectilinear Propagation:

Yea, she tried to get the flight attendants attention, but the plane was getting ready to land – so obviously the flight attendants were a little busy. And once they got things done, they were able to call the police and get action taken care of.

I’ve only taken a few flights myself, but if I remember correctly, landing is one of the busiest times for the flight attendants so if they did not have time to give her 100% of their time during that time, it looks like they did so as soon as possible since the guy was taken into custody by the police.

56. rawsteak says:

thank you lady.

way to go lady, sue the airlines for $200,000. now the airlines are going to pass on that little incident to us fliers as a “plane flight crew security fee” for another $75 on the ticket price.

you think you’re hurting the people that failed, but really you’re hurting all of us. thanks again, lady, for making us all responsible for your bad experience.

57. Rectilinear Propagation says:

@Sparkstalker: Panic attack? A lot of people have a deer in the headlights type reaction when something horrible happens. Kinda like how people will just stare at somebody who is bleeding a lot or having a heart attack.

58. csdiego says:

@meeroom: How about preventing him from committing a crime? I thought flight attendants had unlimited power over passengers, to the point of getting them arrested for playing games that look like phones. You’re telling me all of a sudden the flight attendant is powerless to stop this guy, or at least get him in twice the trouble for disregarding a flight attendant’s instructions? I don’t think so.

59. rickshawed says:

What’s to stop me from running a scam where myself and a female conspirator book the same flight and act like we don’t know each other. Mid-flight, I’m going to town on myself next to her.
    We could set up the same scenario and split the proceeds from the lawsuit.

Of course, from that point forward, I’d be known as the guy who jacked it on a plane.

60. CMU_Bueller says:

@meeroom: Because AA has deeper pockets than some random perv.

61. Project Thanatos says:

Wait.. if she was ejaculated on.. does that make her part of the mile high club?

62. oakie says:

obviously she was asking for it by passing out during the flight.

63. @Rectilinear Propagation: And such is exactly why they are liable. Though why she has not filed suit yet (unless such was not mentioned) against the said perpetrator is beyond me.

64. MoCo says:

I presume this happened in first class. $200,000 sounds like an awful lot for an indicent of this type in coach.

65. BalknChain says:

Not the in-flight nuts she was looking for. [crickets]
    On a serious note, why was he allowed to move? Is the plane so big this wasn’t noticed? God, is hell big enough to hold all of these freaks?

66. emjsea says:

She won’t get 200,000 out of the man, so naturally she sues the airline who have deep pockets and will likely find it cheaper to settle rather than have this mess dragged out. You’d think she would have to prove the flight attendants saw the man jerking off in his seat and did nothing about it, but that would make wayyyyyy too much sense. Just give the golddigger her money. She may not have wanted to be a whore, but she sure is turning herself into one.

67. spamtasticus says:

Wow, I’m going to sue The Consumerist for exposing me to this story about a woman being masturbated on. For not properly protecting me from such filth. What the man did was despicable, no doubt about it, criminal in fact. Unless the flight crew had any idea what he was going to do they have ZERO responsibility! PERIOD! For the readers that are saying yea yea sue! Remember that the next time you complain about the state and cost of health care in this country because it is directly as a result of our litigious society.

68. weakdome says:

PERVS ON A PLANE!

69. tripnman says:

They left out the part of the story where the passenger hit the flight attendant call button and was told “ma’am, that’s for emergencies only.” This regardless of the little stick figure on the button that shows someone jacking off in the seat next to you – or is that an attendant holding a cup of water? Hard to tell…

70. mrmysterious says:

This isn’t why they have call buttons next to the little light switch/air vents but it sure as hell justified pressing the button if you too afraid to just yell “THE GUY NEXT TO ME IS JACKING OFF”.

71. Ninjastorm66 says:

I doubt the masturbator has $200,000 for her to sue out of him. Sounds to me like she’s going after the deepest pockets, not the criminal himself.

72. DeafChick says:

Disgusting!

73. utensil42 says:

To everyone asking why she didn’t scream and beat him, and to everyone saying AA is not liable: she was being sexually assaulted on a public air plane. Most sexual assault victims feel vulnerable, violated, and scared. They typically do not scream or behave violently because they just want it to end and are afraid for what might happen if they do. If the woman was being raped, or fondled while she slept, would the airline be liable then? It’s pretty much the same thing. It’s not AA’s fault, but they’re certainly liable for not preventing or stopping a crime they see perpetrated (which is part of what a flight attendant is supposed/allowed to do).

74. afq1483 says:

I may be misunderstanding the description, but if he had already ejaculated on her, wouldn’t it be odd for him to still be masturbating when she woke up? (unless he was on a second attempt)

75. Buran says:

@meeroom: Yeah really. Why isn’t she having him arrested and suing him?

76. rjhiggins says:

@bohemian: The story clearly says the plane had begun its descent, so the flight attendants were doing their real jobs: making sure everything is safely secured for landing. Where does it say that one of their duties is patrolling the aisles on the lookout for masturbators? And the fact he changed seats? I did that just last week to get an empty seat next to my wife. Are you suggesting that every time someone moves to an empty seat they should be interrograted to 1) make sure they know the person next to them, and 2) make sure they have no plans to jerk off?

AA will probably pay her a small amount to go away, but it’s a real reach to blame the flight attendants.

77. Sparkstalker says:

@Rectilinear Propagation: Yeah, I know…I’m just used to how my wife would react ;)

78. BugMeNot2 says:

@weakdome:

With the tagline:

“I’m tired of all this M-Fing trouser snakes on my M-Fing plane!”

79. awwww skeet skeet skeet skeet..

80. bbbici says:

Whenever I went to adult movie theatres I was so pissed off when some creepy guy sat next to me and started masturbating.

81. unklegwar says:

Ah, the money seeking consumer. Masturbating dude has no money, so, how to cash in…Oh! Sue the Airline!

Correct Solution: Punch offender in face. Repeat until “satisfied”.

82. overbysara says:

:O

83. apotheosis says:

@deedrit:
    crap, beaten to the Multiple Miggs reference.

Nicely done.

84. UX4themasses says:

@unklegwar:

Taking out the intent of the masturbator, does this mean that anytime I get sneezed on, farted on, coughed on, or in the case recently, THROWN UP ON… I can cash in on 200K? In my case the flight crew was also unable to help when my neighbor threw up on the floor (forgetting the included ‘bag’) and all over me. They left the regurgitating person next to me even though he was clearly sick (and thew up two more times into bags). The plane was full and there was nowhere to move me or him.

A homeless guy exposed himself on the street of my city, I should sue the city for not removing him before the act!

85. DrGirlfriend says:

Now I’m kinda glad that I can never fall asleep on airplanes.

86. Leah says:

I think everything sounds fine . . . until no one noticed that this guy was jerking off. How did the fellow passengers miss that and not say something? I mean, even a “hey, dude, wtf are you doing?” would be sufficient, and I’d think some passengers should be calling flight attendants at that point.

I’m not sure if she should get money from AA (tho she probably will), but it really frustrates me that no one said anything, even though there were other people who presumably had a view.

And as far as landing . . . unless they were actively landing at the time, aren’t flight attendants prowling the aisles making sure everyone is belted in, not moving, and ready for landing?

In any case, a gross and horrid situation all around :-/

87. Phineas Poe says:

I thought you could only jerk off in your seat when you were in first class.

88. SkokieGuy says:

Is this one of the Southwest girls who claimed they were treated poorly for being too pretty? [consumerist.com]

15 minutes of fame not enough?

89. se7a7n7 says:

The airline should be held responsible. How is it their job to protect the safety of passengers?

90. DrGirlfriend says:

@Phineas Poe: Yeah, isn’t that what the warm towels are for?

91. TheBigLewinski says:

Did you say you wanted “cream” in your coffee?

92. Thomas Palmer says:

@Drowner: I agree the best situation is to yell out “Oh My God, He Is …” At that time you get every one’s attention, and maybe everyone glaring at him or possibly yelling at him and hopefully he would stop. If not, you and a few other disgruntled passengers can have a “nice chat” with him after he leaves the main airport facilities (ie potential witnesses to something).

93. Thomas Palmer says:

Also, everyone who is making “jokes” are pretty sick. While you all may still be in highschool or college, most of the other viewers are not and are much more mature. Those jokes aren’t even immature, they are just sick.

94. Wow, I’m usually pretty easy going when it comes to getting spooged on…
    but this is just icky. 200k is a reasonable amount, that’s not even a 1/4 million… Seems a good amount to make sure AA reminds the attendents to keep a reasonable eye out for the safety of the passengers from other passengers. If AA wants to recoup the loss, let them seek restitution from the jerker in question.

Let’s say he wasn’t jerking off on her…. what if instead he was slipping her wallet out of her purse as she slept and stealing a couple of credit cards and slipping the wallet back into her purse? Same goes for the fellas, what if some dude slid over and rifled thru your carry on bag while you slept? What then? Those actions could be done just as surreptitiously, if not more so, than rubbing one out.

I don’t expect the attendents to be hawks, and perhaps they simply would never have expected something like this to happen… but I bet they’ll be paying more attention to aisle hoppers from now on.

I was in a walgreens a couple years ago, it was I think a Friday night around 10pm or so, and I was in the hair dye aisle (yes I am a wild one, hitting the walgreens on friday:/) …. when I notice this young guy, maybe 20 or so, standing next to me. Looking at the hair dye. And I notice that he’s inching closer to me, I’m just facing forward to the shelves, but had my eyeballs all twisted over to the side trying to figure out what the dude was up to, when I notice he has a huge boner. Total tent city. I actually think he was aiming to brush it up against me cause he was getting that close… I stepped back and heartily shouted, “Dude with a boner in aisle 4! There he goes! That’s him running away!”

I actually called the cops (who never showed up >:o) because the kind of guy who tries to rub his dick against strange chicks in the walgreens is seriously disturbed.

95. So, she called for the flight attendant, who never came.

However, the guy next to her did.

96. @Thomas Palmer:

Lighten up, they are just dick jokes.

97. Thomas Palmer says:

@Dooley: I like to joke around too, but not in public where any one can read them. I guess I am just too “politcally correct” for not wanting to offend anyone. (sarcasm because I am anything but politically correct)

Just because you give a name to the type of joke it is, doesn’t stop making it sick.

98. ELC says:

I think she should have smacked the crap out of him, instead of being embarrassed. Then maybe started kicking him where it mattered. He’d probably think twice about doing anything like that again – if he would even be able.

99. backbroken says:

@alphafemale: Sorry about that, but it wasn’t a boner. I had a comb in my pocket.

100. backbroken says:

@Thomas Palmer: I totally agree. The internet has always been a place of high-decorum. There is no need for suggestive language here. What if someone’s 18 year old son were to stumble upon this thread? He’d be learning a lot of crude language and that’s unfortunate.

Now I must bow out of this thread and head on over to Fleshbot.

101. emjsea says:

@Thomas Palmer:

Yep. Sick. Immature. And FUNNY.

102. @UX4themasses said “Taking out the intent of the masturbator, does this mean that anytime I get sneezed on, farted on, coughed on, or in the case recently, THROWN UP ON… I can cash in on 200K?”

How can you ‘take out the intent’? Intent is a pretty important part of the equation. I might even be so bold as to say that it’s the only part that really matters. Any lawyers in the house want to tell us how important intent is? Accidents happen, people get sick (especially on planes), but someone puking on you unintentionally, nasty as it is, is very different than some guy getting his jollies by blowing a wad on you while you snooze.

103. Question: if the flight attendants couldn’t get up to help her because the plane was landing, then how come the guy could get up a move seats?

104. Claystil says:

AA absolutely should be liable. A woman was sexually assaulted by a man who moved seats in flight, masturbated and ejaculated on her head. How on earth could a flight crew not notice and act accordingly?

On the subject of joking. I understand to some degree the desire to make humor of sexual topics, but keep in mind that this woman, like SO many in the world was the victim of sexual assault. Joking might not hurt you or the other commentors, but it’s very likely that a victim of sexual assault will come by and read the comments here and anyone who has a friend or family member who’s been sexually assualted will know how precisely insesistive and harmful it can be to make jokes out of such a serious matter. I’m not trying to tell you what to do, but please keep this simple fact in mind before you post.

105. snoop-blog says:

@Dooley: i nominate your comment @ 1:19 for comment of the day. but there were some close seconds,

@BugMeNot2: @11:36

@LionelEHutz: @10:22

@ClayS: @ 9:45

106. Sparkstalker says:

@ceejeemcbeegee (just debatin’ not hatin’): From the way the story reads, he moved over there before they started the descent. The woman only woke up and noticed him there once they announced they were on final approach.

107. disavow says:

How did this guy not get caught? It’s like narc city every time I…eh.

108. suzyO says:

@Rectilinear Propagation: yup. me, i could easily kill a man, but i’m too connecticut to make a scene. i thought it was pretty funny until i read the part about the money shot landing on her person. if she had slugged mr. deranged/entitled, no doubt she would have been hauled away in cuffs. now, i don’t make a fuss initially, but i can burn, baby. i’d hunt that motherfucker down and do anything in my power to MAKE HIM PAY. i hear it’s worth about $4300 a pop in D.C.

109. rjhiggins says:

@Dooley: Keep trying with your sophomoric jokes. You haven’t been funny yet. What are you, 13 years old?

110. bbbici says:

Isn’t this why the icon of the attendant on the call button is holding a cup? I thought this was meant to indicate a sperm receptable is needed.

111. kentuckienne says:

To everyone suggesting that she should have beaten the crap out of him: well, yes, that would have been satisfying. But it sounds like she was trapped in the window seat by this guy. If she’d punched him and he punched back, she’d have no way to get away.

And yes, I do think AA is liable; you’re trapped on an airplane for the duration of a flight. It’s not like other modes of transportation, where you can get off at the next stop or switch cars if someone’s bothering you, or call the cops about the creepy guy in the station. Consequently I believe that that airlines assume a reasonable level of responsibility for your safety and comfort while you’re on board. Surely that includes appropriate action against rogue masturbators.

112. Kounji says:

So if you bother the flight attendants or get into arguments with them you get stopped by airport police, but if you have someone jizz in your hair, they aren’t going to do anything about it. Well I guess in the end they did, but man the flight attendants could have saved AA $200,000

113. snoop-blog says:

i don’t see how aa can be responsible for the acts of others. ex: how can they ensure no-one will shout out obceneties or, pee in the seat, etc….

the guy got arrested, he was not representing the airline. how can they guarantee no one will whip out their penis? i mean they’d have to assign a cockwatcher for every male passenger, and i bet i’d still be able to whip mine out if i wanted to. i’m not tiny, it would take a pretty decently sized guy to physically stop me from doin it. so i just can’t see blaming aa. if a streaker runs out during a football game, you wouldn’t be able to sue the nfl. if a woman got raped in a public restroom, you can’t sue for that either.

114. TWSS says:

Something similar happened to me while I was flying cross country to visit colleges as a high schooler. I’d fallen asleep and I woke up to the dude next to me worming his hand under the waistband of my jeans.

I started hollering a blue streak and trying to shove him away from me (which was kinda difficult since I was wearing my seatbelt). The FA ran up and ordered him to an empty row (this was before epic overbooking became the norm), but I was never asked if I wanted to press charges and the perv followed me off the plane and watched me get into a cab.

115. justdan says:

Heck, she’s not asking much at all. I’d sue them for millions. 200K is pocket change; that won’t make any difference. The liability is theirs when they did not come to her aid.

116. deserthiker says:

@Slick36:

I guess yo mama’s used to it.

117. j-yo says:

I was a flight attendant years ago and I can tell you that, if I had seen a guy move next to a sleeping woman in the middle of the flight, I would have been highly suspicious and would have kept a watch on the perv. I agree the airline should share some liability; on the other hand, I’m not sure they should share $200,000 worth of liability. Where do people get these figures?

118. Trai_Dep says:

I hope they don’t throw the baby out with the bathwater. If the FAA sets some stupid rule saying passengers can’t move around (and into empty rows/seats) then…

119. Claystil says:

@snoop-blog: I think your analogies miss the fact that this woman was cornered on a plane and this was sexual assault, not exposure or streaking.

Though, regardless of what we here conclude, the decision as to whether or not AA is liable will ultimately come in court and the POS who perpetrated the act will now have to register as a sex offender.

I just really wish the joking would stop.

120. Fidel on the Roof says:

I can see limited culpability on American Airlines. They did not respond to shreiking (if she did) and did not notice the act when they did their about-to-land checks.

$200k? Uh…. The creep should pay dearly but I think American is being taken advantage of.

Wonder why prices of various goods and commodities go up?

121. bubuli says:

@Dooley: +100 points for you!!

122. snoop-blog says:

@Claystil: it’s just shocking to hear, and some people use humor to cope with it. no one on here feels like she deserved this and it is horrible. with that said though, my friends would never let me hear the end of it if it was me. i’d forever be known as the guy who got jizzed on at work. and i can’t say i wouldn’t be able to laugh with them cause i would. it’s like laughing at someone because they got pee’d on. c’mon, it’s a little funny. i laugh when people get hurt sometimes, it’s funny!

123. Claystil says:

@snoop-blog: My point is simply that there are a LOT of people in this world who live every day with the lasting negative psychological effects of sexual assault. I wouldn’t make a joke about sexual assault to their face, and I’d like to hope no one would. The likeliehood that many victims of sexual assault have and will read this comments is high. So joking here is not all that different from making the joke in their presence. If it’s funny to you, why can’t you keep it to yourself? It’s not funny to everyone and it hurts some.

124. snoop-blog says:

@Claystil: well i do have a perverted sense of humor. if it makes you feel any better, i meant to delete my previous comment, but i brainfarted and hit submit by accident. i want the op to know that despite the fact i find it humorus as after the fact, if i would have been there i would have helped her, even if that meant i was going to jail for whoopin that dudes ass. so us jokesters aren’t all bad. but it’s chris walters fault for mentioning something about mary, and making me go into the comments already smiling.

sorry to throw you under the bus there chris, you know we’re homies still right?

125. suzyO says:

@sourc3: hey, say BOO on an AA flight and they’ll land the damn thing and have your ass arrested – i know, my bro works for them. AA sucks, that’s good enough reason to sue them.

yay for claystil vis a vis “A woman was sexually assaulted by a man who moved seats in flight, masturbated and ejaculated on her head. How on earth could a flight crew not notice and act accordingly?”

How on earth, indeed? Well, they’re not ON the earth, but that’s totally beside the point.

126. hi says:

Now I see what the big fuss was over the girls that were ‘too hot to fly’. Maybe the airlines had something there after all.

127. Michael Belisle says:

Here’s what I don’t get. The event happened two years ago. Why is that the only story I can find pre-lawsuit? The man was arrested. Was he tried? Convicted? Does he have a name?

There was a lot more information on this remarkably similar incident.

@suzyO: How could they miss it? It was a night flight, landing about 11 p.m. I assume he didn’t turn on the overhead light. Many other passengers might have been sleeping.

@j-yo: By starting with a threat of $750,000. That’s like 73% off!

128. Ok, I just have to say that 200,000 is not a huge amount of money… American Airlines is the largest airline in the whole wide world, and their executives get year-end bonuses of millions of dollars, dang, each exec could chip in a measley 10 grand out of the millions they will get at the end of the fiscal year.

129. KimCake says:

Would this story be quite as funny to some of you if the man had instead masturbated and ejaculated on a child traveling alone?
    I think the comparison of this incident to a fellow passenger accidentally sneezing or vomiting on you reflects the deep gap in understanding that many men seem to have about sexual assault and harassment. If a gay pervert did that to you I don’t think you would treat it like an errant sneeze.
    I certainly wish that all people were tough enough to fight back and assert themselves in situations like this. But it’s not right to blame the more timid among us for not having the same savage capacity to strike back at those who victimize.
    Speaking of which…what were the other passengers doing? Didn’t they see this?

130. halajenn says:

When I worked at a shoe store many years ago, a man asked me to get his size in a particular work boot, as he hands it to me I notice he’s got his shorts hiked up with his penis in his other hand just stroking it. I took the shoe from him and said he might need something in a smaller size. Then ran to the back, called security and had a good old-fashioned freak out. I was pretty upset about it, but really, what pissed me off so bad was that he did this in a crowded store with children all around. How dare he.

131. @halajenn: This story makes me so sad. Jokes aside, I can only imagine how trapped and horrified that poor woman felt.

What I wonder, and I’m not joking, is what the guy did when she woke up…

She wakes up, kinda cries and yells to get some help, the person in front of her comes to her aid and tells her yep, “that’s jizz in your hair”

What was the guy doing, did he scamper back to his seat and pretend like nothing happened? Did he stay in the seat next to her and just tuck himself back in? Did he go “oh my god im so sorry please don’t call the cops” and beg for mercy? I mean jesus h what do you do when your victim wakes up mid-molestation and you have to spend another 15 minutes on the plane with them? (and with everyone else who gets word of what happened) He must have been feeling trapped and horrified himself. Did only one person take note of her distress? Were there no manly men on board to punch the guy a couple times for good measure?

132. taka2k7 says:

yeah I’m not sure AA is to blame on this one. While i feel bad for her, she and/or her lawyer is out to make a quick buck. I’m betting AA will settle just to avoid further publicity. They need to sue the sicko for all costs.

As for the cabin crew doing something about it. they were on descent. Their job is to look out for passenger safety (albeit this might fall into that if you stretch the definition), clean up and stuff like that. Their job is not to look for masterbating passengers.

Still if they had caught him, they should have opened the door at about 1000 feet and chucked him out.

133. Fly Girl says:

I have nothing productive to add to this other than to say that this is, by far, the most entertaining post and comment thread that I have read in a long, long time.

Good work, airplane maturbating man, good work!

134. thelushie says:

@Thomas Palmer: No, they are the ones that are sitting in at the computers in the library acting like they actually know anything. Some of these comments are really disgusting. But I did predict that there would be those who would blame the woman.

This woman was sexually assaulted. That’s not funny. And to the one who said that the woman was coming off as a whore…you are an idiot.

135. con-sue-md says:

The flight attendants always walk up and down the isles looking at people’s laps to see if they have their seat belts on. They probably just didn’t notice that he was holding his manhood because he had his seat belt buckled. I wonder if they cleaned that seat?

136. cde says:

How did they not notice someone jerking off? Well, it’s a night flight, so low lights, and possibly people sleeping. The seats are past head height. She wasn’t in the first row that is not blocked by another row. If there was a movie playing, everyone is looking at their tv set or at the front of the seats. If it was a side with three seats, two empty and hers between the window, he would be on the inside seat. Blankets could have been used to hide himself. Probably not the first time he’s jerked off in public, so he could know to be discrete. He’s awake, so he could see/hear the stewards walking around.

Anything other questions?

137. SteveBobo says:

3 words of advice to the ladies flying on AA…Wear shower caps

138. thelushie says:

@alphafemale: I personally don’t give a rat’s hairy ass if he felt trapped and horrified. Let him feel trapped and horrified. I got the impression he continued with his action.

Manly men? They have gone out with the dinosaurs and polite men.

139. thelushie says:

I don’t know if we are allowed to put comments from other sites on here so if we can’t please remove this for me but I thought this was a great one. It came off the blog mentioned.

“I’m going to say something that is not politically incorrect.

She is ONLY 21 years old. Yes, I know that 21 year-olds can drink, drive, carry a gun, graduate from college, and begin a family, HOWEVER, for some folks, life takes years of living before one is truly an “adult.” Merely “feeling” grown up does not make one grown up.

I am much older; I would have clobbered the guy and yelled my head off.

It would not have occurred to me to “turn toward the window in embarrassment.”

Yes, I know that it depends on the person and that other 21 year-olds may have handled the situation differently, and with more assertiveness.

I know that she was traveling as a fully emancipated adult; she didn’t need a note pinned to her chest, she didn’t need flight attendants to accompany off the plane, she didn’t need a Happy Meal, she didn’t need plastic pilots wings, or a coloring book. But, when I realize that the poor thing really didn’t know what to do, I truly yearn to give her a hug and a coloring book, at least for a moment, before I sent her off to an assertiveness class. My point is that 21 is still very young.

I hope the judge throws the book at this sick-o pervert who looked at this very young woman as his own personal Playboy foldout to be used for uncontrolled gratification.

This woman (very recently a “girl”) is someone’s daughter, granddaughter, sister, niece, aunt, cousin, loved one, classmate, colleague, employee, and friend. She deserved respect. However, while this vile pig refused to respect her, our Constitution demands that she reserve the right to be left alone. For that, she will have her day in court. But, we would all be better off if the incident hadn’t happened in the first place. I cannot begin to imagine how I would feel if she were my daughter.

Somehow, I doubt that this was his “first time” violating young women; perhaps the others were even more embarrassed than his latest victim. I usually fall asleep on any flight that takes longer than an hour; next time I think I’ll look around a little more carefully. Sometimes, 21 year-olds can use a little bit of help along the way.

Posted by: Schopenhauer | March 15, 2008 at 05:19 PM”

• frodo_35 says:

@thelushie:
      It is very late for this reply. I am reading the years worst. I felt the need to coment on how much I like your comment. As the father of 6 daughters I am a manly man and so is my only son we would have both gone to jail but the perv would have gone to the hospital. I often wish for someone to protect from the world but sadly to often my view of right and wrong is not shared. From the screaming child hitting their mother to the drunk asshole mistreating his girlfriend my attempts at intervention have been rebuffed but not every time. I wish everyones daughters would be safe from this type of thing.

• the_wiggle says:

@thelushie: well said, thank you.

best comment on entire post.

140. ecwis says:

@everyone saying this is sexual assault:
    In order to be classified as sexual assault, there must be actual sexual contact. While this is still deeply disturbing, it’s not sexual assault.

Why is she suing AA instead of the perpetrator? Is it simply because AA has deeper pockets?

141. LUV2CattleCall says:

To be fair…the man was just trying to lower the amount of semen in his pouch to less than 3.4 ounces.

And to think…if it wasn’t for Susan B Anthony, the girl would have been obligated to help…

How do they know that he was, in fact, masturbating? Are we sure that he wasn’t trying to “inspect” his “fuselage” for cracks?

142. josieb1b2 says:

There needs to be an Air Marshall on every flight. This is ridiculous. There also needs to be a way to transfer a perpetrator to another seat, perhaps in the back near the Air Marshall for monitoring. We can not have lawlessness in the air. Absolutely ridiculous!

143. cde says:

@ecwis: One, without knowing all state laws, you cannot say that is not sexual assault. In New Jersey, while it is not considered Sexual Assault by name anymore (This would now be Aggravated Criminal Sexual Contact (2c:14-3a [3rd Degree Crime = 5 years max]), it is still a Sexual Assault of a different degree. That is, if he used her hand to masturbate.

Note, if she was 13 or younger, it would be Sexual Assault (2c:14-2b), if he used her hand.

If she didn’t see him masturbate, he technically wouldn’t have committed a crime. As it is, from what I can see in NJ statures ([www.njleg.state.nj.us] click on Statutes under Laws and Constitution on the left side bar), him simply ejaculating on her isn’t a crime, if she didn’t see him. It might be Lewdness (2c:14-4a when read under 2c:14-4c) if a prosecutor can convince a jury that

“a. A person commits a disorderly persons offense if he does any flagrantly lewd and offensive act which he knows or reasonably expects is likely to be observed by other nonconsenting persons who would be affronted or alarmed. “

Since he choose someone that was asleep, he could use that to his defense. He did not reasonably expect her to observe it.

Again, in NJ, indecent exposure is under Lewdness, so simple pulling his junk out would not be a crime if noone is there to observe and then be offended.
    I think it relates to the whole fallen tree in a forest question.

144. @Project Thanatos: Nope, you’d need actual penetration, and since they were close to landing, the “mile-high” may not be part of that aspect anymore, since you’re not going to be a mile-high when near landing.

@alphafemale: I agree, it may have been more than just him ejaculating on her. He may have stole some IDs or even copied card information, or maybe he even touched her in some way that may have put her at more risk.

And about the “intent” thing, I wouldn’t be surprised if they argued he didn’t intend to ejaculate in her hand, it happened b/c of a natural bodily fuction. Or that her hand wandered there on its own or some other BS.

This situation disgusts me greatly, and makes me creeped out to even consider catching a few Zs on a flight. D:

145. techwolf says:

To those suggesting that AA shares some blame in the event due to her being unable to get their attention, typically in the last 20 minutes of a flight they’re doing their landing checklist and getting strapped in for the touchdown. It’s possible that they were unable to get to her because of FAA regulations.

146. Claystil says:

@suzyO: well, where are they if not on earth? IN? Above? “How above earth…”

@ecwis: I see that people have already showed how wrong you are but just in case you needed more evidence, this definition comes from the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services:

“Sexual assault can be verbal, visual, or anything that forces a person to join in unwanted sexual contact or attention. Examples of this are voyeurism (when someone watches private sexual acts), exhibitionism (when someone exposes him/herself in public), incest (sexual contact between family members), and sexual harassment. It can happen in different situations, by a stranger in an isolated place, on a date, or in the home by someone you know.”

147. Claystil says:

@cde: good answers, but ultimately the suit claims that AA noticed the man move seats and did nothing about it. All this happened BEFORE descent, meaning he had time to masturbate while the attendants were still walking the isles.

148. richcreamerybutter says:

@alphafemale: Hmm maybe the woman suing could offer them a deal, any exec willing to take a load in the face from a stranger could keep his 10 g’s. If 20 execs agree to facials, they wouldn’t have to part with any money at all.

This is by far the best comment I’ve read on this story. I’m thinking some of the commenters also need a stranger’s load in their own faces, since they find sexual assault so amusing (or as one mentioned, only amusing in the context of women).

If you’re going to joke about the victim at least use creative examples; Dane Cook-style phrases that have been repeated 1000 times that day just don’t cut it.

I live in NYC, so if I had a nickel for every exposed penis I’ve seen on the streets, in the trains, etc. I’d never have to work again. However, when this kind of incident happens in a place you least expect, it can take a few seconds for “WTF?!” to travel from your brain to your voice (or fist). If there’s any doubt to what you’re seeing and you react accordingly, you will be at best humilated by the flight attendant and passengers, and at worst arrested.

If you’re trapped at 30,000 feet, yeah I think you have the right not to expect to see some stranger’s nubbin (and associated fluids).

149. Xjep says:

@se7a7n7:

no they do have to protect you just let me carry my gun on for stuff like this and were even.

I would have killed his ass period

150. Nagumo says:

Everybody is just after a windfall these days. It is in no way the airlines fault that that some pervert ejaculated on her. Given that an employee got security involved, what else could they do since she never brought this to any other employees attention till the act was long over and done. This sounds to me like she was in some way involved and then had reservations afterward. Even if that’s not the case, the one to sue is the pervert. I hope she loses the case and gets stuck with a huge attorney’s bill. I’m sick of people using the courts to sue themselves into prosperity. The airline should have me on a jury should they decide to go to court rather than settle. I’m no corporate shill, and I think companies should be held liable for their misgivings. This act however had nothing to do with the airline at all.

151. XJSGUY says:

Maybe the guy wanted to fly united.

152. Claystil says:

@Nagumo: you seem to have some serious shortcomings in your understanding of our nation’s legal system.

153. YouCanEatMe says:

Some guy jerking off in his seat would be getting the “lights out” treatment courtesy of my elbow in his face.
    On the other hand, the Airline isn’t at fault here. She can file a civil suit against this clown but the Airline’s lawyers are going to tell her to go pound sand up her ass. I’m inclined to think the court would agree.
    Shitty situation to end up in but she gets nothing.

154. ecwis says:

@cde:
    You say it could be sexual assault if he used her hand but I don’t see how that could even be possible. How could she stay asleep if he were touching her, much less using her hand to masturbate….? Extremely hypothetical so that’s why I can say the actual offense does not meet the criteria for sexual assault.

And I did looked up “sexual assault” for Texas and it does require physical (sexual) contact to be classified as sexual assault. If you found the NJ laws, I’m sure you can find the Texas laws as well.

@Claystil: “Sexual Assault” is a legal term and requires contact to be classified as such, at least in Texas.

155. ibelli says:

@tokenblackgirl: Dude! YOU have some dude spunk into your hair while YOU sleep, and then run your hands through it! If that were me, I’d be asking for a bit more than $200,000

156. Claystil says:

@ecwis: sexual assualt under federal law does not require physical contact.

The texas law re: sexual assault seems to define rape only and is not similar to their definition of non-sexual assault.

157. ecwis says:

@Claystil: “Sexual Assault” is clearly define in the Texas Penal Code.

SEXUAL ASSAULT.
    (a) A person commits an offense if the person:
    (1) intentionally or knowingly:
    (A) causes the penetration of the anus or sexual organ of another person by any means, without that person’s consent;
    (B) causes the penetration of the mouth of
    another person by the sexual organ of the actor, without that
    person’s consent; or