Walmart Saves You $10 By Refusing To Sell You Anything

Reader Sam says that Walmart refused to process his credit card without ID, forcing him to buy his bread and milk elsewhere. Now he’s grateful to Walmart for throwing him out of the store because he saved $10 somewhere else.

Last night I was grocery shopping at my local Walmart, to beat the insane weekend crowds. Upon finishing checkout, I swiped my card and signed. Then the system beeped, the cashier asks to see ID. I tell her that I don’t have it on me. She gets the manager. The manager informs me that due to a recent 8 incidents of credit card theft that she won’t process my transaction unless i can prove who I am. I normally do keep my driver’s license on hand. I do not carry cash. I have had a credit not work in the past and the manager gladly processed my purchase by manually punching in the numbers. It’s insane that a billion dollar company is concerned about $130 cart of groceries. If I was a thief, my cart would have had more than just milk,eggs and bread in it.

Walmart actually did me a favor. They woke me up. I always assumed they had the best prices. Two hours later I saved $10 on a similar cart of groceries. The selection was better. The meat, fresh fruits and vegetables were a much better quality. The local Giant grocery store, that is also conveniently open 24/7 apparently had no problem with my credit card .The security guard didn’t ask to see my receipt on my way out either.

I know this is not a horror story and if I had simply remembered my ID I’d still be a Walmart shopping zombie. I need a new gas grill, the kids need a new swing set and pool, my wife wants to finish our landscaping. I will gladly purchase them elsewhere. We will no longer purchase any food, clothing or prescription drugs.from them. I did have a bad experience with their auto service a few years ago, so that’s already been banned.

Sam

(Photo:Morton Fox)

UPDATE: Sam sends in this clarification email:

The credit card was active, valid and signed. They did not ask to verify my signature. I was immediately asked for ID, which I NORMALLY carry. (How many of your readers would stay home until they find or replace a lost driver’s license ?) They gave me no reason why my card could not be processed. After a full day of work and then spending and hour shopping, and being told my only alternative is to leave a fully bagged cart of groceries, go home find your ID and shop all over again is bullshit.(How many of you can buy groceries for a family of 4 and diapers without spending more than $100 ?)

I called the Wally 800 number and got nowhere. The district manager number they gave me didn’t reach him. They gave me another number that said we don’t know who Mike McClannan is, he doesn’t’ work here. The transaction was voided, but still is shown on my account. My credit card company says they have the right to ask for ID and that I’d have to file claim and they would make a decision in 6-8 weeks. Walmart says the transaction will be credited within 3 days and that asking for ID is a security feature required by my credit card. Yes, Walmart has the right to deny anyone for any reason, but they gave no reason ! They are unnecessarily policing a loyal customer for using a credit card that is widely accepted everywhere else without ID.

I thank anyone who had anything kind,decent or constructive to say. I also thank the others who didn’t read the entire post, jumped to conclusions and don’t fully comprehend what being a decent human being requires.Thank You for shopping at Walmart. Have an nice day and F U too. So boys and girls, carry at least 2 credit cards, a photo ID and shop wherever you please. If you enjoy being treated like a thief for no reason, then shop at Walmart.

Sam

PS, I would never harm the elderly gentleman checking receipts, he know my face, always smiles and waves me through without checking my receipt. Crap! I hope they don’t fire him. No, they need him. He’s receives SS and Medicare.

Comments

1. hills says:

Well did you at least try knocking the greeter over on your way out?

2. zarex42 says:

To be fair, the statement that “It’s insane that a billion dollar company is concerned about $130 cart of groceries.” is nonsensical. Their billion dollars is made up of little more than a lot of these very same $130 transactions. They just decided that the risk involved did not justify your business. Not a big deal, really.

3. matto says:

I like it when I’m asked for ID during a credit card transaction. Maybe someday this douche will get ripped off by someone with a cloned card and change his tune.

4. statnut says:

Walmart is really overrated in my opinion. Their prices arent all that and a bag of chips. But in fairness to them: “It’s insane that a billion dollar company is concerned about $130 cart of groceries”.

If it was someone using your card, you’d care about that $130 cart of groceries.

5. SOhp101 says:

Wal-Mart = poor quality, unless you can be certain that you’re purchasing the EXACT same item that you could get at another place.

As for credit card theft, most thieves actually make small purchases first to see if the card works okay before making larger purchases. Fraud detection systems at cc companies will usually flag $1 or smaller charges more often than >$1000 ones.

6. KGBhoy says:

I am not a fan of Walmart, but I don’t think they did anything wrong here. If your card was stolen and $130 appeared on your bill you would ask them why they didn’t check the ID of the person who used it.
    Walmart’s prices are definitely always the best, especially on groceries. I actually never buy groceries there.

7. ryatziv says:

@matto: I agree. I sign my receipts and my cards “SEE ID”.

8. jen06850 says:

Who goes grocery shopping at Walmart anyway? ewwww.

9. cybercjh says:

YAY SAM! Down w/ Hell-Mart!
    [cybercjh.com]

10. KenSPT says:

The funny thing is, if someone stole his card, and used it in a Wal*Mart without presenting an ID Consumerist would have a post about how terrible Wal*Mart is for processing the transaction.

11. javi0084 says:

Why is it surprising that there are cheaper and better alternatives to Wal-Mart?

12. mgy says:

It’s constantly back and forth for me between Wal Mart and a local grocery chain. I try and catch the store with the best price on cases of coke. This week, wal-mart is charging $4.49 for a 12 pack, and the local chain has them at $3.50. So I hit the local chain up last night.

Next wednesday? You better believe both of them will be at $4.49 and I’ll just do without :(.

I really miss those days where wallyworld had them consistently at $2.50 a case. That really fueled my teen years.

13. SisterHavana says:

@matto: Yes. I feel better when a cashier asks me for ID. Unfortunately, that’s pretty rare, especially now that most places have the machine where you run your own card through it and you never have to hand it to the cashier at all. (Sam should come to my Wal-Mart. I almost always use a credit or debit card there and I’ve never, ever been asked for ID.)

14. dorkins says:

Hey, come on – it only takes 100 million bread stealers to put WalMart out of business.

15. dorkins says:

Yeah, Wal-Mart! Go to Dell!

16. trillium says:

@ryatziv: technically speaking then it’s a violation of the credit card agreement.

When presenting a card for purchase if it has “See Id” on the back without a signature, the merchant has the right to decline the transaction. I learned this the hard way at the U.S. Postal Service.

The only way this will continue to work is if in fact your name on your drivers license is “See ID”

17. Skellbasher says:

@ryatziv: You do realize that signing your cards ‘SEE ID’ technically makes the card unsigned and invalid right?

18. HeartBurnKid says:

You mean, they won’t take a credit card unless you can show ID?

Total non-story. In fact, I wish every store did this.

19. ecwis says:

@ryatziv: I assume you know that your card is not valid unless signed and it may be refused at some places, such as the post office…?

20. ecwis says:

@ecwis: I hate when I write comments but other people make the same comment while I’m writing mine. :-(

21. ecwis says:

To Sam and anyone else that has these problems, emailing the company’s corporate office usually helps.

You can email Wal-Mart Corporate through the following link:
    [walmartstores.com]

22. JadedScientist says:

Unless he walked or biked to the store, this means he was driving without having his driver’s license on him?

23. KyleOrton says:

@matto: You think he would regret having purchased groceries on that day? The guy said he normally has it, but didn’t that time. He picked a place that would let him buy food. Probably because he wanted some food.

24. EBounding says:

Dollar to donuts this guy goes back to Wal Mart in 3 months. :P

25. dandd says:

Wow imagine them asking for an ID when using a credit card! What a dumbass! Isn’t this one instance where we should be praising walmart?

Either way I really don’t get all the walmart hate on these boards. I’ve had good and bad experiences at every store I’ve ever been to.

26. CorporateTool says:

My favorite part of Giant is the self-checkouts. Those are so much fun. I always feel like I’m in a Sci-Fi movie.

Cheap thrills, I know.

27. BugMeNot2 says:

As others have said, “See ID” is not a valid signature.
    See [tinyurl.com]

And the original poster should report his experience to his credit card company, as they cannot require ID to accept a validly signed credit card. See mastercard and visa’s websites for details on narc-ing.

28. redrover189 says:

@JadedScientist: I was just going to say the same thing. Don’t bitch about WalMart not accepting your credit card without ID – the OP is the person in the wrong here, for not having their driver’s license (since they bought $130 of groceries, I’m assuming they aren’t going to carry it all home, they most likely drove).

I don’t like WalMart at all, but this story is just stupid. I honestly think it’s great that they check ID – most places don’t. Come on, Consumerist, show better stories than this.

29. chemmy says:

I thank cashiers for asking to see my ID. I feel it protects me at least a little.

30. SaraAB87 says:

@statnut: Walmart has higher prices on most electronics and video games than other stores have, they might be good for food, but you can’t just assume they have the lowest prices because of their advertising tactics, you have to check out other options too. Sometimes you can get an identical product at another store for less than the walmart price.

31. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

@trillium: My post office has those little machines you run your card through.

I also have “Please ask for ID” on the back of my card, nice and bold in Sharpie marker. I appreciate it when a cashier sees the instructions and asks me. OPINIONS DIFFER on whether it is a good idea or not (obviously) and nobody should be forced to choose one method or the other. It’s their money and their decision.

Let me reiterate that for the people on this thread who have forgotten or will forget what a blog designed to help consumers is all about. THEIR money. THEIR decision.

32. statnut says:

@CorporateTool: I hate self checkouts mostly because the people who use them dont seem to have a clue how to use them. I’ve seen someone try to scan something once, give up and throw it in their bag.

33. alejo699 says:

I’m no fan of WalMart, but I’m glad they use proper credit card security.

34. statnut says:

@SaraAB87: Ummm, I know, thats why I said they were overrated.

35. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

@statnut: I am one of those people who have a standing battle with self checkouts. I work in IT and I can tell when a machine hates me. ;)

If the store also provides manned checkout lines, then the self checkout lines should be MORE convenient for me, not less.

36. WEGGLES90 says:

Wal Mart is lame. They technically have the “lowest” price, but that’s usually because there prices end in 88, not 99. And usually they aren’t cheaper. They have terrible quality products and selection. Unless a game came out last week, they don’t have it. And they are really bad for lowering prices. They still have 7 copies of Pokemon Snap at my walmart… 79.99.

Their CD selection is horrible too. I prefer to get my CDs/Movies at Sam the Record Man’s, and games at Futurshop.

I don’t understand how Wal Mart are so successful. I find I’m in a terrible mood leaving Walmart. Customers everywhere, and they ALL have a cart, so they take up the whole aisle. You can’t move, and since I’m 17, I’m CLEARLY a crook who needs to be followed thru the store.

[/bawwwww]

37. hejustlaughs says:

@matto and ryatziv:

You guys are regular consumerist readers? I don’t know why people are so ill-informed on this topic. The consumerist has brought this topic up in the past.

Article 1, Article 2 and The main one

By law you aren’t responsible for more than $50 of fraudulent transactions on your credit card and even then all the major cc companies offer $0 liability.

It isn’t that hard to create a fake id with corresponding name and picture.

Furthermore, it’s against the policy of the credit card merchant agreement to ask for ID.

38. qwickone says:

@trillium: I sign it in pen and write SEE ID in sharpie so it stands out more. Problem solved!

39. ecwis says:

@WEGGLES90: Not all Wal-Marts are equal. I have found that Wal-Mart Supercenters are drastically better than regular Wal-Marts. They even have my POM tea for less than $2!!

I don’t know about their prices for electronics and associated merchandise, but I know their prices are the lowest for essentials like laundry detergent, food, etc.

40. magnus150 says:

I’m glad wal-mart asked for ID when in doubt. If it had not been the owner of the card that wasn’t asked, this same person would be complaining why wal-mart DIDN’T ask for ID. No pleasing anybody…

41. quagmire0 says:

I was excited to see a Super Walmart opening right down the block from me. That was until I went there and saw their prices for groceries. Normally I shop at Meijer, and for most of the things we buy, Meijer was much cheaper. It’s a double-edged sword though. On General Merch, Walmart is usually chaper, but they gouge you on groceries.

42. prameta1 says:

nothing on this website sounds more stupid that the little OP threats to “stop shopping there” over every little thing. he’ll shop there. over and over again. it’s walmart. he’s not going to go hunting down all of those items “elsewhere”. same goes for the Mach 3 guy “switching over” to schick “from now on”. why? cause of $5? no way that’s happening.

by the way, it’s not the multi-billion dollar walmart that’s worried about fraud over your $130 grocery cart. it’s their employee. that’s where the consequences are. you think an hourly employee gets away with letting a $130 fraud slip through their fingers?

43. hexychick says:

Wow, what an asshole that cashier was! How dare he try to prevent further identity theft!

Also, if you don’t have your driver’s license on you, you should be glad you didn’t get pulled over at some point because thats a much larger cost than $10 saved elsewhere. And if the DL was in the car, why not just go out to the car, grab it, and bring it back inside?

OP is a nitwit.

44. Saboth says:

@matto:

Why is he a douche for not carrying his driver’s license when shopping? Last I saw, you weren’t required to provide proof of citizenship or anything when buying food, and I don’t recall seeing on any of my credit cards or at walmart “proof of identification required to make purchases”.

45. stubblyhead says:

@Skellbasher: I’ve been doing this for probably 10 years now, and only one time has a cashier refused to honor my card. And that was at the state liquor store. He was perfectly happy to accept my card after I signed it right there at the register. I wonder if the signatures matched?

46. marsneedsrabbits says:

I prefer to be asked for my ID when I use a credit card.
    I know that it isn’t allowed by some credit card companies, but to me, that is nonsensical.

47. I actually sign my card SEE ID, and am almost never IDed. When I am IDed, it is usually a profiling incident (I’m very young and look younger, plus I’m of mixed racial heritage). Sometimes I am IDed out of state, usually in tourist locales. I find it shocking that people have all these problems using credit cards, but maybe it’s because I’m NY. No one has time here to check for ID.

48. rdm says:

I recently had a card stolen and used at Walmart for a $500 purchase so I’d be thrilled if they always asked for ID when accepting cards. Or just use debit. I don’t know what the problem is here.

49. hejustlaughs says:

@hexychick:

Why does this point have to be made over and over again.

It’s not the OPs fault Wal-mart is trying to enforce something they’re not allowed to do. They’re not allowed to check ID for any purchases with a credit card (unless its for alcohol or cigarettes but that’s for age verification, not identity verification.). You aren’t on the hook if anybody steals your credit cards so you showing ID is just an added hassle.

Checking ID might stop a low level criminal who found your credit card on the street or stole it from you but doesn’t stop a criminal with half a brain who can make his own ID with your name on it (and his picture) in 10 minutes.

Also, the term you’re looking for is not identity theft, as the thief wouldn’t clone one of your existing credit cards. Also, if they identity thefted you, they’d sure as hell have a ID with their photo and your name on it.

50. Ronin-Democrat says:

Being asked to show ID is FALSE security.
    If I show you an ID that is from out of state will you be able to tell if it is real.
    The proper way to identify a card holder is to have the card company identify them.
    If the store is really worried that the transaction is fake it will have the card company identify you.

Also, it is AGAINST card company policy to ask for ID.

REFUSE. Shop elsewhere.

51. mikelotus says:

Its hard to believe that there has been this many lame posts defending Walmart without anyone pointing out for the thousandth time that asking for ID and refusing to process sale if the customer does not have the ID is a violation of the credit card company’s policy that Walmart has agreed to.

52. RIP MRHANDS says:

@generalhousewifery: Your credit card is invalid now and will not be accepted at a number of places unless you sign with a valid signature.

53. UnnamedUser says:

I used to buy prescriptions at Walmart because they were close by and had the reputation for low prices. A few years ago I had a prescription for about a month for something very expensive. As due dilligence I shopped it around. … Whoa!

Walmart, it appears, is not even close to some of its competitors. I ended up buying from Costco. Their prices are the absolute best I’ve seen and you don’t have to be a member to shop thier pharmacy..

54. ludwigk says:

Walmart has this different approach to lower prices than most places. Grocery stores and big electronics stores, for instance, will have ‘loss leader’ items, which they literally sell at a loss to get you in the store, then when you pick up other items in the same transaction, they make it up on the higher priced regular items. If you fill your cart with loss leaders, the store doesn’t make any money off of you, in fact they may be losing out. Best Buy internally refers to these people as ‘demon customers’, because they swoop in, get the $20 wifi router, and leave, and BB is left with their pants down. Some grocery stores, although selling $100,000′s of groceries a day, can teeter with unprofitability from day to day if a big sales hits.

Walmart doesn’t do this, they use their gigantic heft, and superior logistics to get product on the shelves at an ‘Every Day Low Price’, which is consistently better than that of their competitors. If you RANDOMLY sampled goods from Walmart vs. any other retailer with the same merchandise, Walmart is guaranteed to be ahead. Part of the appeal is that you can pick up anything at Walmart, and be assured that its better than most place’s regular prices.

This also means, Walmart can sell any item in their store all day long, and still sustainably make a profit from it.

However, if you are selectively shopping from each location, you can do better at another store by choosing lots of loss leaders.

55. warf0x0r says:

Grats to the author. Recently my gf was at a liquor store and they didn’t bother to check her ID for her age, but when she presented her card they said they needed ID to confirm her signature. Most vendors don’t seem to understand that a customer doesn’t need to present this at all.

@generalhousewifery: This is exactly why I stopped writing that on my card along with my signature. If someone profiles me I call them on it. My local super market has a few cashiers that do this all the time, but now I think they’re starting to recognize me. :)

56. jomil91 says:

Are you serious? i mean.. come on, even posting this here, that is ridiculous. no wonder why america’s most stolen items are identity and credit!. dumb ass i wish that would happen to see if then appriciates when someone ask for your ID… ugh lol

57. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

@RIP MRHANDS: I never, ever, EVER have a problem and odds are they won’t either.

58. ldnyc says:

Why were you driving around town without your driver’s license? Isn’t that more wrong than Wal-Mart asking to see your ID. Your objection to their asking was essentially that since you were committing a ticket-able offense (and a misdemeanor), they should cut you a break. You’re above the law but they are not? Would you have complained about the cop who asked to see your license before he wrote you a ticket? (yes, if you showed proof in court that you had a valid license at the time, but just didn’t have it with you for some reason, the ticket would usually be dismissed, but that’s not the point)

59. Drowner says:

@zarex42: Word.

And let me just state, you were surprised to find an actual grocery store, a store that specializes in groceries and sells mostly groceries, had a better selection than Wal-Mart, a place where you can get baby food, motor oil, condoms, and a manicure all in the same place? Hmm.

60. TPS Reporter says:

Holy crap man, $130 for a basket of milk, eggs and bread?

61. JadedScientist says:

@redrover189: But if this was $130 of groceries from Whole Foods (1 or 2 smallish bags worth of food), then I would believe that the OP walked or biked and didn’t bring a driver’s license.

62. @ryatziv:

You mean your invalid card.

63. Flame says:

I’m kind of back and forth on whether or not it’s good to ask for ID at the store. But I do have to say, when I go to the same store over and over, and see the same cashier over and over, and get asked for my ID every time, I begin to wonder…..

64. CityGuySailing says:

Ya know, I don’t mind SHOWING my ID to a register clerk. It’s when they start entering my Drivers License Number into their computer system that I tell them to STOP and take my card back. They can LOOK all hey want, it’s when they try to tie my drivers license to my credit card in their computer systems that I start to get upset. They did this to my wife while I was watching at Macy’s with a Macy’s card and I stopped the transaction and we used a different card to pay. We almost walked out without buying the coat entirely.

65. char says:

Kind of on walmarts side here, I’d rather stores ALWAYS asked for ID on credit card transactions.

66. se7a7n7 says:

The meat department at Wal-Mart is gross and overpriced. How much would you spend on 2 pounds of steak that was half brown?

67. PinkBox says:

@hillsrovey: lol

68. theblackdog says:

The OP lives in Pennsylvania, (Giant Stores and Super Wal-Marts) I have to wonder why or how the OP got hooked on Wal-Mart in the first place, considering the number of grocery stores and farmers markets I would see just driving from Baltimore to Harrisburg.

69. ldnyc says:

PS to all of you who feel that being asked for photo identification when using a credit card is wrong and offensive… don’t you dare come around bitching about how you innocently left or lost your card somewhere and some thief-of-convenience managed to ring up a few hundred/thousand dollars worth of crap before you even noticed it. what’s that you say? it was your debit card attached to your checking account and now your account is overdrawn and your rent check bounced and WaMu is taking their sweet time with your fraud claim? Damn. If only the cashier at Wal-Mart had asked the theif for ID.

There are many more injustices in this world to get incensed about. The whole “how dare you ask me for ID” outrage is so lame.

70. Skellbasher says:

@stubblyhead: Just because you’ve been doing it for 10 years doesn’t mean anything.

Visa and MC’s policies clearly state that cards with anything other than a signature in the sig pane are technically invalid.

71. witeowl says:

Complaints about stores asking to see ID with credit card transactions are prime examples of trees vs. forest. Sure, you’re technically correct. They should not ask to see your ID card. However, the rampant spread of this “horrible” practice will – get this – PROTECT THE CONSUMER!

Let’s see, what would I rather have: the ability to buy stuff on my credit card without the two-second “invasive” request to see my ID? Or, would I rather know that a would-be-thief may be thwarted by the quick ID check?

Is Wal-mart motivated by a desire to protect its consumers? Of course not. They want to protect their bottom line. If they accept a fraudulent charge, they are financially responsible. If they lose enough money that way, they’d have to raise their prices to make up for the losses. By verifying IDs, they can keep their costs and prices lower. Guess what? THAT ALSO BENEFITS ME, THE CONSUMER!

Win-win, folks.

If you don’t like it, shop somewhere else, like the 7-11 that doesn’t even require a signature anymore. (Where’s the outrage over that, by the way?)

72. redrover189 says:

@mikelotus: Hey, heads up – that policy is not true across the board (see the Jack-in-the-Box post). In terms of things that credit cards do not allow merchants to do in regards to customers, I believe Visa only stipulates that the merchant cannot impose a minimum charge on the customer. I believe MasterCard stipulates both that and does not allow the merchant to require ID for purchase.

Also, shouldn’t we be glad that merchants do this? If I dropped my credit card and some ne’er-do-well picked it up and tried to go buy a PS3 or something, I’d be thrilled if he got denied for not having correct ID.

And seriously, this guy must have driven to Walmart, and he didn’t have his license. How many times can we go over this – that’s illegal. Yes, it’ll probably get dismissed in court, but jeez. The OP obviously feels that rules don’t apply to him.

73. greensmurf says:

Back in the day when I didnt have a real job I was a bagger at Albertsons and some couple tried to steal two carts full of groceries. They were not bagged or anything they just pushed the cart out the door.
    Someone noticed and followed them out, basically the police were called and they were both arrested.
    Pretty stupid a cart full of groceries doesnt make for a fast get away when you have to unload it into your vehicle.

74. witeowl says:

@generalhousewifery: Wait, wait. Let me make sure I have this straight.

* If they don’t ask for ID, they’re failing to follow the directions you’ve written on your credit card.
    * If they DO ask for ID, they’re profiling.

Man, they just can’t win with you, can they?

75. Landru says:

Wait – tell me again, what’s the merchant agreement say?

76. azzy says:

I’ve never understood my American Express blue card. Out of all the credit cards I’ve received, it’s the only one that never mentioned to sign the back — so I never have. There’s a ‘signature’ strip on the back, but it has the card numbers printed on it so I would have to sign right over them. Nowhere does it say I need to sign to agree to any terms, or to validate the card.

Of course I get asked for ID at half the places I use it, but I dunno. Should I get out a big black marker and sign across it’s clear backside?

77. chrisjames says:

Two things:

1) Walmart does not have the lowest prices. Duh! My wife believed this for the longest time until I proved to her that the Kroger next door (where we always shopped and she complained about the prices not being as good as Walmart) could consistently provide better prices on everyday things. I was surprised too when I found out, but I was avoiding Walmart because back then they were rat-holes. I was shocked their crap wasn’t actually cheaper. They must have the highest paid brainwashing department ever.

2) “It’s insane that a billion dollar company is concerned about $130 cart of groceries. If I was a thief, my cart would have had more than just milk,eggs and bread in it.” $130 on the basics? Either I’m lucky and our $35 a week grocery budget is way under par, or you’ve got quite a bit more in your cart. What are you buying, gourmet sheep milk in gold trimmed, buffalo hide water skins?

78. dandd says:

@witeowl: Have you been here before? According to 99% of the posters here, walmart is wrong for existing.
    Honestly, if walmart said they were only going to use 100% recycled bags, we’d get stories about the poor loggers that are losing their jobs.

79. Shannon says:

Here’s the deal, at least they did their job correctly for once. I have a credit card and I never EVER get ID checked and it almost bugs me because it’s so easy for someone else to have my card and swipe it and buy whatever they want and I get stuck with the bill. I think it’s more of an inconvinience for you because you spent that much time shopping and forgot your ID and had to go else where. Granted you did save more money, but you also had to spend more gas to get somewhere else. Probably not 10 dollars worth, but still- Anyway, what am I talking about, I hate Wal Mart.

80. @witeowl: That was pretty harsh for someone with very little information.

I am very well aware of when I am being profiled.

Furthermore, most of the times I have been IDed for using a credit card, I have been asked for ID, “because I look too young to have a credit card”.

So yes, you can win with me. You ask me respectfully for my ID and I will say, why thank you, so few people check these days, and hand over ID. If you point out how unlikely I am to have a credit card I will be pissed at you.

81. tmlfan81 says:

I enjoy shopping at Wal-Mart. For what I purchase, I get a good deal. Most of the local chains are beat because they can’t compete with the buying power and stock Wal-Mart has.

I’m never asked for my ID when I make a purchase at Wal-mart because of the card scanner at the register – only if the reader is unable to verify the data on the mag stripe of my card do they ever pull it.

And if it’s declined? It means I have no money and should walk away hungry and embarrassed.

82. BugMeNot2 says:

@Drowner:

“a store that specializes in groceries and sells mostly groceries, had a better selection than Wal-Mart, a place where you can get baby food, motor oil, condoms, and a manicure all in the same place?”

Actually, other than the manicure, I can get all those other things at the grocery store, too. Sure, the motor oil will be some no-name brand, but they do carry it.

83. moviemoron says:

Actually, I am going to have to side with Walmart here. They were correct in asking for ID, as all stores should. It is to prevent theft ID.

84. elislider says:

who buys groceries at walmart anyways? are you trying to be trashy?

85. stageright says:

@ecwis: I was going to comment on you making the same comment as another comment but now you’ve gone and made it so that in doing so I’m making a comment that’s the same as another comment :(

;)

86. SaraAB87 says:

Most grocery stores have the basics other than groceries, so they are essentially like walmart, at least here. Filling your cart with loss leaders is a good idea but you have to also consider the time spent in doing this and whether it is worth it or not with the price of gas nowadays to drive around to 5 grocery stores just to buy the loss leaders at each store. Also, if you will actually use all those loss leaders you are buying, if it spoils before you can use it, your not saving money. Is it worth it to drive to the other end of town because store x’s milk is 10 cents cheaper than store y? Shopping for deals is awesome and everything but you also must have some common sense.

The one thing I don’t like about walmart is they do not advertise their prices, so you have nothing to judge them by, until you get into the store. That doesn’t help much when their price stickers change every day, or very frequently as they do here. They really don’t have consistent low prices imo. With the other grocery stores you can spend 5-10 min comparing the ads at home and then getting the best deal out of them.

They also seem to swoop into a town, take over and have really low prices for a while, then they inch up prices slowly, after the competition is gone (as if the customers do not notice this!) This is also what I have found with other retail stores that are brand new around here, so its not just walmart. Us consumers are not stupid, we know whats going on.

87. littlejohnny says:

eeeewww. People buy groceries at walmart??? WTF???

88. Vicky says:

@azzy: I had the exact same question, and when I tried to sign it the box turned out to be impervious to writing. So I never signed it, until this past weekend when a lady at the post office insisted that I sign the back with a fat-tip Sharpie.

89. riverstyxxx says:

Avoid walmart’s “fresh” meat.

90. rellog says:

@hexychick: Consistant with other goofs on this thread, it is AGAINST VISA and MC policy to ask for an ID. Whether you want them to check yours or not is up to you, but quit being a putz because this guy doesn’t feel the need to have his checked.

91. rellog says:

@moviemoron: How can you “side” with Walmart? They broke the terms agreed to in their contract with thecredit card companies. As others have stated, if you want them to check, write it on your card.

92. snazzycarrot says:

To those bashing the guy for not having his license, it is quite possible to use taxis or public transportation for shopping or to have a friend or family member do the driving. Also, a bike with big baskets can carry a LOT of groceries.

93. Buran says:

I never thought I’d be supporting Wal-Mart, but thank you, Wal-Mart, for helping protect us from fraud.

My parents’ Discover was hit with a $1400 bill last week thanks to Wal-Mart failing to check ID. Now my parents have to waste time and effort clearing it off.

And now I sit here and listen to someone whining about losing 30 seconds AT MOST?

Gonna give my parents back the time they lost?

I thought not.

94. Buran says:

@rellog: And as others have stated, that does jack and shit, and a scammer is not going to write that on a cloned card, by the way!

95. PølάrβǽЯ says:

Here’s what gets me: if you are grocery shopping at Walmart, there’s a 99% chance you drove there. If you drove there, where the hell is your driver’s license?!?

When I worked at a gas station, I used to laugh at people who would drive right up to the store, grab a case of beer, and then leave empty handed cause they didn’t have ID on them. Um, hello, you DROVE here. It IS illegal to drive without a license, you know.

Sorry, I have to blame the OP on this one. How do you have a credit card on you, but NOT ID, especially if you were more than likely driving?

96. AlanFullmer says:

Ok, This exact thing happened to me and my wife.

Here are the facts:

Amex, Discover, Visa, AND MC specifically state that ID is NOT required to complete a transaction. Requiring an ID is against policies that override Walmarts.

They claim to be protecting you, you have fraud protection on purchases, and the last commenter needs to try a little harder.

They may claim to be protecting them. All liability falls on the Card Issuer NOT the consumer, NOT the store. Once the transaction is complete, the store has its money and should not be concerned.

MasterCard specifically has a dedicated form you fill out JUST FOR merchants that ask for ID on purchases. I wonder why this is??? Duh.

Simply put, Walmart tries to bully you into giving them more information than they need.

97. lonewolf333 says:

This has happen to me to, it seems that anything over $100 kicks in the check ID prompt. Most of the time I only spent a few bucks at walmart.

98. lonewolf333 says:

@jen06850: People that want to eat.

99. AlanFullmer says:

One more thing aaron8301, they aren’t asking ID for a credit card, but for buying alcohol. Completely separate!

It’s your right to refuse to show ID. Visa has documentation as to one of the reasons is Identity Theft. A simple Google search will get you the answers you need. There are plenty of people that don’t know — trying to offer their opinion as fact. You can get all of this information from your merchant agreement if you ever decide to take credit cards for your business.

100. HeartBurnKid says:

@mikelotus: And frankly, I feel we should have an article about that. The credit card companies now pressuring stores to not check for ID, at a time when identity theft is at an all time high, is, frankly, horrible. It’s bad for the consumer.

101. lonewolf333 says:

You “See ID” are idiots. That’s all I have to say on the subject.

102. whuffo says:

Let’s see here: WalMart protects its profits by engaging in practices that are in direct violation of the contracts it entered into with the banks that issued those credit cards.

I see both positions being argued here and both have merit. Fraud is a problem for everyone.

For Walmart, the choices are (a)take the very small chance that your credit card transaction may be fraudulent or (b)intentionally violate the contracts they signed with the credit card companies. The choice they make illustrates what it is about WalMart that many find distasteful. If this is the way they treat the banks, how do you think they’ll treat you?

103. timsgm1418 says:

our walmart hasn’t had paper bags for at least 13 years@dandd:

104. timsgm1418 says:

@elislider: sadly a lot of the Super Walmarts have taken over in some areas. When I visit my aunt in Indiana, Super Walmart is about the only grocery store around.

105. chatterboxwriting says:

@WEGGLES90: I just got home from Wal-Mart and I am in a terrible mood. I went there to cash a check and buy a bulb for my headlight. It took me 55 minutes to accomplish those two things due to long lines and clueless staff.

106. jonworld says:

Nice job! Another great person on the anti-walmart bandwagon.

107. silentluciditi says:

ten years ago this would have gotten thie exact same reaction as this guy gave. Now, we’ve been conditioned to accept the request for ID with a transaction because everyone has decided to try to close the barn door behind the horse that got out because identity theft is now a hot-button issue. You know what? Save the hassle. Get rid of the automatic, customer-swiped card readers and go back to handing over the card to the cashier. Then, the cashier holds the card until after the receipt is signed, can compare signatures, and either thank the customer and let them get on with their day or raise a flag and escalate the situation if something’s wonky.

108. greensmurf says:

Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!!!

109. azntg says:

I’m not going to go over my reasoning and arguments on IDs with a credit card purchases again, but I’ll say that the folks who thinksshowing ID will protect them from fraud are misinformed and getting a false sense of security at best. Somewhat akin to “Hmm, I smell smoke, do you?” “Sure do. Wonderful weather to have barbeques!” while your own house is on fire.

@jonworld: Indeed.

110. Fitwit says:

1) It’s post 9-11 world. Carry your ID.
    2) It’s illegal to drive without a license if you were.
    3) Wal Mart doesn’t know you’re you. If a crook were using your card you wouldn’t complain they’d asked for her I.D.

111. bohemian says:

I wish people would quit believing the myth that Walmart is cheaper on things. Frequently if the item is cheaper it is a slightly smaller package (like with food) or is a special model made for Walmart that had some corners cut.

I get clothes for my kids cheaper at the mall simply by looking for periodic sales. Groceries are cheaper and better quality at our grocery chains and sometimes Target.

I find that I usually get treated better at nicer stores. Walmart is too much in the habit of treating customers like criminals because many of them are in some areas.

If you HAVE TO buy something at Walmart use the self checkout and you get far fewer hassles.

112. davidc says:

You don’t need “ID” to use a credit card!

That’s right … according to the “merchant” aggreements of both VISA and MasterCard, the merchant can not ask to see your ID.

You might want to go ahead and send in complaint letters to VISA / MasterCard and CC Walmart while your at it. Nothing will probably happen though, but you never know.

113. SaraAB87 says:

@silentluciditi: Do you really want the cashier getting your credit card number either by memorizing it or by swiping it through an illegal skimmer device? I wouldn’t hand my credit card to anyone! The number one rule when you have a credit card is to never let it past your hands!

114. Chese says:

I am reminded of a commercial for either Visa or Mastercard debit cards where they made a point that you do not need ID to complete the transaction. They made that a selling point! The major credit card companies offer zero liability if your card actually was stolen, so its not Walmart looking after you, it is them covering their own ass. It still kills me people just want to bend over and give up their rights for a false sense of security.

115. Buran says:

@whuffo: You must be new here, as they say on Slashdot — we don’t let “it’s policy” be an excuse for abusing the customer on this here forum.

116. Lori42 says:

Sam – GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!

My husband and I had a similar experience in November of 2007 and we haven’t shopped there since. We were buying cat food and liter. They asked for photo ID which is provided on our American Express Card. But hey declined it and said they wanted to see other ID. We gave them our Discover Card to compare but because one had my husbands full name and the other had an initial for his first name (he has always gone by his middle name), they absolutely refused to provide service.

For all of you who think they are helping with the fraud protection – let me ask you this. If you stole someones credit card and you knew it worked… would you go through a line with a checker or through a self serve line where you check yourself out and no one ever sees your card? Please!!! Walmart is NOT watching out for you the consumer. They could care less about you and whether or not they are watching your hide!

Did you know that the merchant agreement that all companies sign with the big cc companies (Visa, Mastercard, Discover and American Express) clearly state that they are NOT allowed to ask for photo ID. It also says that a consumer has the right to refuse to show photo ID and they are not allowed to deny service based on that. In fact, when you file a complaint about a merchant with Mastercard, it’s one of the three specific complaints – not including “other”. When you shop anywhere and use your card, the cc company takes a chunk of the purchase. So for example, you spend 20 bucks, the cc takes 2 dollars – and yes, it’s often that high and often even higher. That 2 bucks is to cover fraudulent charges. If your card is stolen and then purchases made, that 2 bucks will go to cover the loss. Walmart pays it regardless of WHO purchases what. They are out nothing if someone uses your card to rack up a bunch of charges.

Sam – I too went to a different store and actually saved money. I chose Walmart because it was close (three within a 5 minute drive… how ridiculous is that?!) but the other store didn’t even look at my card. AMEX was ticked when I told them what had happened. I’ve never in my life been escorted from a store. Walmart was the first…. and as a 2nd grade teacher who’s in my thirties – I certainly don’t wish to experience it again. So I’ll shop at a store who cares about their consumers!

117. Jesterphun says:

@Fitwit:

And 9-11 change everything…whatever. I do not have to produce my papers on demand, comrade.

It’s “illegal” to drive without your license on you, but at least in IL, the penalty is going to court & showing your license. No fine, just an extra trip…I’ll take that chance now & again.

Walmart signed an agreement with Visa. I’ll abide by it. They should too. They can compare my signature on my card with the one on my receipt. Good enough for Visa, good enough for me, should be good enough for Walmart. Don’t like it? Complain to Visa.

118. StevieD says:

@ryatziv:

See ID is not a valid signature.

119. StevieD says:

@Jesterphun:

You did not read the WallyWorld agreement with VISA, you have read the general VISA policy. The WallyWorld agreement with Visa is not available for public review.

120. Trick says:

People who complain about having to show ID when using a credit card are always the first to complain when their stolen credit card is used at the very same store that doesn’t check ID now because they complained about using to show it!

121. Rusted says:

@ryatziv: As do I. Never sign a name to a card.

@greensmurf: Someday I’ll watch all three. The last was a blast.

@Fitwit:
    1. It’s still the USA, but I have always carried ID, and for awhile a ID badge, passwords in my head, and a pin number to get through a door into a place that sucked to work in.
    2. Yes
    3. Walmart doesn’t know who they are either at times.

122. gmark2000 says:

Hmmm… Did his signature not match the signature on the card? This was never mentioned in the story.

123. spamtasticus says:

The did exactly what I would do if I was a business. They broke no law. They did not go beyond acceptable practices. If they had however asked to scan or record your dl number that would be different. But if they only ask you to ID yourself to match the card….. you are S.O.L. they had every right.

124. Namilia says:

I’m not a ‘blame the OP’ kind of gal, but in this case I have to side with the cashier. Back when I worked as a cashier I was one of the few who did check ID, and was more often thanked for doing so than bitched at. I have since then learned about the ‘valid signature’ chapter in the Visa/MC Agreement, and that ‘See ID’ is not a valid signature.

To elaborate, a dispute cannot be filed on a card that was marked ‘See ID’ as the card was technically invalid in the first place. I now sign all my cards but also write ‘See ID’ on them to keep all the bases covered ;)

Seriously, especially with recent credit card theft in the area if anything the cashier should have been thanked. And yes, it is post-9/11 and Patriots Act (which existed before 9/11 but was never really followed) requires many institutions to positively identify everyone before completing a transaction.

125. jimda says:

i assume you drove to wal-mart so why no drivers license? if you drove without it you were breaking the law, if it was in your car, go get it. as for your local supermarket having better prices, then shop there from now on. but please, please, don’t complain thet wal-mart was trying to protect you.

126. Namilia says:

Also, I completely agree with spamtasticus. The only institution that should be writing down my DL # or anything is the bank when I use my Drivers License for identification.

127. jimda says:

@Namilia: yeah, because we all know how honest banks are, right?

128. ecwis says:

@Fitwit: I can’t help but laugh at all three of your points. :-)

1) Seriously 9/11? I don’t know what this has to do at all with the attacks on 9/11. You think terrorists can’t make fake IDs? If college kids can do it, I’m sure Al Qaeda can as well.

2) Yes, it’s a DRIVER’s license. It’s required to prove that you have the right to drive, not to prove who you are.

3) Once again, do you know how easy it is to get a fake ID? Also, credit card companies have other fraud prevention techniques in place; they do not need merchants making up their own credit card policies.

129. ecwis says:

@StevieD: That’s a basic policy for all Visa merchants. Call, email, or fax Visa and ask.

130. jesuismoi says:

The checking ID thing is crap.

I used to work w/ a police department.

Here’s how your account gets wiped and why I will never ever use a debit card that has more than $200 in the account.

—–

You go eat at Restaurant X. Put your card in the holder, the waiter takes it.

Waiter double swipes card, either on a reader hidden somewhere on literally in his pants pocket.

Reader goes out to wireless van in parking lot.

Van in parking lot runs off a card on some blanks they have. The blanks have one number printed on the front, and a name. Not your name, not your number. The strip however, is encoded with your number.

Guy in van (or someone else) goes to nearby retail store and maxes out your card to gone while you’re lingering over your lunch. If it’s a debit account, he empties it out before you can know what happened.

This is not fantasy, this happens, and it happens a lot.

Writing “Check ID” on your card won’t do a damn thing to stop this. In fact, it might make you more likely to be emptied out b/c you’re so sure that it fixed everything you never check.

Invest in credit cards w/ 0$ liability *even before you notify anyone* and if you must use a debit card, set up a second, smaller bank account with only as much money in it as you can afford to have someone steal.

The items the bought with your card number? Those aren’t returned to the receipt nazis… they are sold at flea markets or online.

131. ecwis says:

@jesuismoi: Good post. A lot of people think the simple stealing of the actual card is the most common. Identity thefts are a lot more advanced. When my account was compromised, the thief had a clone of my card somehow. But since banks have advance fraud measures in place, they detected it and denied the transactions.

To think that checking IDs will stop fraud is just naïve. If necessary, ID thieves will make fake IDs. It’s probably even easier than making a cloned credit card.

132. WorldOPeek says:

So where was your credit card? Would you have gotten as mad and incredulous if you were pulled over? I love customers who think that every retail store caters to every whim of every customer who doesn’t put forth any effort.

Walmart might have lost $.50 in profit, but lost more in labor costs dealing with such a short sited employee.

133. TDJ says:

What kind of ahole expects everyone to accept their cc without id and gets pissy when someone asks to see their id ? Oh, this moron. Then, this idiot thinks they have been wronged and posts this rediculous story on a website where he thinks he’ll find like minds. What a cunt ? Oh, you showed the evil empire by saving $10 somewhere else ? What about your time and gas ? Yeah, it was the right move not to have your id on you. As long as you remember to bring the plastic, it’s all good. You are a fucking retard.

Everytime I use a cc in a store and I am not asked for proper id, I am reminded of how easy it is to steal from decent people with the permission of major corporations all over the country who do not make it store policy to show id when purchasing with a cc.

134. Namilia says:

@jimda: Only place they should be writing it is on a check (although most simply write what state DL they saw) or on the receipt as the form of identification used. My particular bank also uses pictures on file as a courtesy (if you have a picture on file they can use that as identification), but you must have a valid government-issued ID on file in order to use that. Sarcasm was detected, just sayin’. I haven’t personally had a problem with a dishonest teller yet. Misinformed maybe (she was new so it was understandable), but not dishonest.

@jesuismoi: Agreed, skimmers are always a concern with debit cards especially when waiters/tresses want to take the card out of your view (although that of course is not necessary as that one skimming vid Consumerist posted a while ago displayed). Credit cards have so much more protection liability-wise than debit cards do. Good post. I’d also add to disable overdraft protection (as has been mentioned here on Consumerist before) to avoid those nasty $25-$40 “protection” fees that overdraw your account.

135. dandd says:

Sorry, but these posts about saving all kinds of money not shopping at walmart are BS. Wow, you found some sale items slightly cheaper than walmart and the post about Kroger being cheaper than walmart is just a bold faced lie.

136. Deusfaux says:

@KGBhoy:

No he wouldn’t. He’d ask why they didn’t ensure the signature of the person matched what was on his card.

Because that’s all a retailer is SUPPOSED to do.

Wake up people! Checking ID only makes you feel better, without actually doing anything to increase your safety.

On that note, if a signature doesnt appear to match, the business is supposed to call the # on the card, and then VISA/MC/AMEX verifies who you are.

And get this, they don’t ask for your ID either!

137. Landru says:

@Buran: You get fraud protection from the credit card issuer. Not the merchant.

138. Landru says:

@Deusfaux: It doesn’t make me feel better.

139. Sakura77 says:

When anyone crabs about being asked for ID on a credit card sale, just remember this….

My Visa check card information was stolen last year…right down to the security code on the back of the card. How, I don’t know. I never give out the security code to anyone. I didn’t find this out until I logged into my checking account at 8 in the morning on a Tuesday and found that numerous charges were flying out of my checking account. The bank gave me back my money, but I’m still upset about the fact that an airline out of Denver allowed a MAN giving a home address in the burbs of Denver to book two plane tickets with the credit card information and home address of a WOMAN clear across the country. Same to the Chinese restaurant that he bought dinner at. What is sad is that on the new card that my bank sent me I wrote “See ID” on it….and I’ve only been asked for ID maybe 10-12 times since I got it in June of last year. If writing that on the back of my card is wrong and a buisness won’t accept it, that’s their problem and their loss. I now do more buisness with small local buisness owners who I know anyway.

140. peggyhill says:

@jen06850: The Super WalMart in Honolulu has floors clean enough to eat off of; true pleasure to visit… so insanely clean that my wife brought my dad there to show him… he could not believe it.

The Walmart in Bedford Park, IL near the South Side of Chicago needs to give away innoculations to people to go there… it’s a sespool…

141. rbdfoxes says:

@ecwis: “Dear Walmart, I had such a horrible experience that I will never shop at your stores again. How dare you protect me, and your store and society from identity theft and fraud?! There are already tons of stories on Consumerist detailing how much you suck, and this is really just the last straw.”

I’m sensing a planted story here…is anyone else suspicious that his name is “SAM?” Yeah, he got his groceries cheaper at another place, but we consumerists might possibly fault that other store for not checking his card, and then be WILLING to pay more at a fine upstanding WalMart for that security. Really, it’s hitting all the right points. You know how we love to blame the consumer.

Haha, who else is bored at work??

142. wring says:

@trillium: i loled

143. herveus says:

If the contract Walmart has with its merchant processor resembles the one we have with ours, they were in violation to insist on ID, so long as the card presented bore a valid signature in the signature strip. Further ID is not required to process a transaction.

If the card is a debit card with a Visa or M/C logo, it acts like a credit card (to the merchant), but may come with fewer legal protections against fraudulent use. That’s a whole different topic. I recommend that our faithful correspondent complain to his credit card company, in order that this complaint get back to Walmart (or the credit card issuer confirms that they were following the rules).

144. mike says:

@hejustlaughs: “Get with the program people. Stop being afraid of fraudulent activity. Using a credit card should be faster and easier than using cash.”

I agree. I think we’re far too paranoid than we need to be.

145. jimmy37 says:

This complaint is pure whining BS. You should be glad when any store asks to see your ID before accepting any kind of payment card. How the f!@#$ is any store supposed to know who you are based on a plastic card with a number on it? When was the last time someone actually verified your CC signature? I don’t sign my CCs. I write “See ID.” Any joint that doesn’t ask for my ID did not look at the back of my card.

Bottom line: if you don’t want to be bothered about ID, don’t use credit, use cash. And if you really want f!@#$ with their minds, try paying with $2 bills. You might get arrested – this actually happened.

146. Trojan69 says:

Having worked in the credit card industry for years…it is expressly against MC/Visa merchant agreements for ANY merchant to refuse ANY transaction due to the amount. If some jerk wants to charge 45 cents, you have to let them.

Two…it is entirely against the merchant agreements to demand an ID as a condition of sale. It is fine to ask, but not to insist. Got it?

Three…there is a specific exception to the requirement that a cardholder sign the signature panel to validate the card. The words “SEE ID” is that exception. HOWEVER…if that is written, the merchant MUST check a valid ID that has the legal signature of the cardholder. The merchant may NOT input the ID number or any other info from the ID. The ID may be used strictly/only for signature comparison/validation.

I am just stunned to read of all the defenders of the acquiring banks in here. What’s an acquiring bank? They are the banks that process transactions/manage payments for/to merchants, thus taking the horrendous transaction fees from the merchants. They are the ones on the hook if fraud occurs, assuming very minimal security protocols are followed by the merchant.

147. V-effekt says:

I stopped grocery shopping at Wal mart a few years ago. I buy less frozen meat and bulk items, only buy what I need for the next few days, and stop purchasing the cheapo processed food they have at the lowest prices around. I now buy from my local grocery on my way home from work and have actually saved tons of Money. I buy fresher items and pay a little bit more. And many items at Wal mart are more expensive. My local has some things always at lower prices than wm. It is usally the bulk items, the standard canned and frozen junk that is cheaper. So, I eat less junk food, am healthier, and spend less money on food overall
    This all started through several bad customer service experiences I had a wal marts. Thanks Wal Mart! You sucking has led me to a healthier lifestyle.

148. ConsumerAdvocacy1010 says:

@JadedScientist

I agree. That was my initial reaction. Also…I understand that some credit card companies may not make it a requirement to have ID to make purchases on the card. If they have security cameras and have clear view of customers of using the card they (retail store) should accept the card without ID anyway. But, since there were some prior issues…I think they took precaution…and they meant well…even if it might have been against the terms of agreement as a credit card merchant.

@Consumerist

Come on now…this should be under ‘Bad Consumer.’ This guy most likely drove around town without his license…unless someone else (friend, relative, etc) was giving him a ride….though it didn’t sound like it to me from his description. I’m not saying blame the consumer…but its only fair to hold consumers responsible for bad actions as well as the big evil companies. Plus prices fluctuate…maybe his next shopping trip might be cheaper at Walmart…who knows?

@OP

It was only after they did the horrible thing of asking for your ID, which may be fine according to your credit card merchant agreement, that you decided enough was enough? So if you had your ID, and continued to shop there…you’d be fine being a walmart ‘zombie?’ Aahhh….Ignorance is bliss.

149. ecwis says:

@rbdfoxes: Have you read any of the other comments on this story?
    Checking ID protects neither the consumer nor society. The only possible argument is that it protects the business.

No, I would just email them saying that they refused to let you use your credit card without ID, which is a violation of their merchant agreement and likely their corporate policies.

I have contacted corporate offices of large businesses and usually they are concerned as they want all their locations to follow their corporate policies. They do not like individual stores making up their own rules because they are usually counterintuitive as is requiring ID for credit card purchases.

150. LuvJones says:

This story makes no sense to me. He’s upset because they wouldn’t make what could have POSSIBLY been a fraudulent purchase? I think this person should be happy they asked for ID, if someone had stolen his CC then went to Wally World and bought up the place, he would’ve whining like a tired 3yr old that they DIDN’T ask the thief for ID.

You can’t have it both ways. That 10 bucks you saved was probably wasted in gas going to the other store.

151. MMD says:

@hexychick: Because Walmart is violating the credit card merchant agreement.

152. Arrngrim says:

I have also personally turned down cards in the past because they could not provide identification. Pissed off the person holding the card even, and you know what, I did not care and I was not fired over it. If you cannot prove you are the owner, you should not be using the darn thing.

I have had hundreds of people THANK me for asking for identificaiton, and I have caught one bad card and the guy bolted out of my store when he realized I had called the police.

Sorry, but this story does not belong on the consumerist, Wal-mart is EVIL and everything, but they were only trying to protect the “true” holder of the credit card, in a day where identify theft runs rampant…

153. Eltigro says:

Hate Wal-mart… used to work for Target.

I like that his name is Sam, seems kinda ironic.

154. AHammer says:

Well i say this whole thing is your fault. You need id for all credit cards because of ID theft, it is for your protection. How does one DRIVE to Walmart with out their DRIVERS licence? I suppose you would get mad at the police officer that could have pulled you over when he would have given you a hard time about not having you licence. Silly post, silly disscussion and a silly retort.

155. onlyinamerica says:

My husband works at Walmart. He is the man people like you will go to when someone steals your credit card info, and purchases thousands of dollars in merchandise. The only way to prevent this is by the cashier asking for ID. Kudos to the clerk for doing her job to protect you and us from ID theft. Someday that may be your credit card and not you buying that merchandise. You’ll be thankful then that the cashiers obeyed the law and asked for ID. By the way, isn’t it your responsibilty as a consumer to carry ID when using a credit card? Would you have posted on here if it were a different scenario? Perhaps getting a ticket for not having your Driver’s License on you? I would say not. Have a great day.

156. hejustlaughs says:

@onlyinamerica:

“Kudos to the clerk for doing her job to protect you and us from ID theft.”

How exactly does ID theft occur when someone uses one of your existing credit cards?

Anyways, you probably never bothered to read any of the comments as everything you typed is reputed.

“You’ll be thankful then that the cashiers obeyed the law and asked for ID.”

“By the way, isn’t it your responsibilty as a consumer to carry ID when using a credit card?”

There’s obviously no law that says you have to check for ID when a customer uses a credit card. Obviously that’s the big issue here. It’s against the visa and mastercard merchant agreement. Even the credit card companies don’t want the merchant to check ID.

I love that you have a smug attitude when you’re completely wrong. It’s not like objectively wrong either. It’s like written down in Mastercard and Visa’s merchant agreement wrong.