Select Jack In The Boxes Offering Free Wi-Fi

Update, February 2010: The dream is dead!

If you live in California or Arizona, your nearby recently-remodeled Jack in the Box restaurant might be offering free wi-fi, says Knowzy.com. “If you see a big screen TV, look for a 5 digit code in the bottom left corner. It’s your ticket to free Internet with your burger and fries.” So far the service isn’t being officially promoted and appears to be in a testing phase, but Knowzy’s editors were able to use the service at several Jack in the Boxes they visited.

They point out a few limitations they’ve discovered: you only get 2 hours of access every 12 hours, and there’s some strong “inappropriate content” filtering in place. You also have to enter the 5 digit code via a website to gain access, so wi-fi enabled devices that don’t have web browsers won’t work.

So far there are only a handful of locations in the two states that seem to be testing the service (check out their site for a list of current active spots), but Knowzy says others are expected to go online in April according to store managers.

“Free Wi-Fi Internet at Jack in the Box” [Knowzy.com]
(Photo: Pookeesmom) (Thanks to Ashi!)

Comments

1. bradanomics says:

Is there a $30 minimum to use it?

2. forgottenpassword says:

@bradanomics:

only for credit card orders.

3. WasabiJoe says:

They had it at my Box for ages now (near the UCI campus) I’ve hopped on it using my psp before. I used it to browse kotaku and consumerist.

I don’t recall having to do some 5 digit code nonsense but it was sometime last year since I last did it.

Also, by ages I mean as far as I can tell, since I’ve started going there. (maybe 2-3 years ago?)

4. Shannon says:

Fast food is trying to be sophisticated now?

5. synergy says:

Sorry, all the wi-fi in the world isn’t going to make me eat the heart-stopping Jack in the Box food.

Top 10 Most Calorie-Packed Fast Food Items

Top 10 Most Butt-Blimping Fast Foods

Top 10 Trans Fattiest Foods

6. arcticJKL says:

Ive eaten at two that have clear signs on the doors advertising free wireless.

7. Poisonthescene says:

@synergy:

The “Spicy Chicken Biscuit” in that second article is a Southeast item only, and if you know anything about the southeast, you’ll know that there’s no such thing as healthy down there.

As for JIB in general, it’s some of the cleanest, healthiest fast food you’ll get from a chain, you just have to know what /not/ to order, just like anywhere else.

8. Bruce says:

There is a two hour limit on it’s use though. I have not used it but they have little fliers on the tables explaining how to connect to it.

9. eelmonger says:

I’d say more than half of the fast food places near me offer free Wi-Fi. Off the top of my head I can remember McDonalds, Crystal, and Burger King. I’ve never used it so I don’t know how much of a hassle it is, but there are plenty of other places that do it, the fact that Jack In The Box is doing it isn’t really news.

10. MYarms says:

I don’t understand why fast food joints need wi-fi. I imagine that most of those hotspots are being used more for nefarious purposes than legitimate business.

11. radio1 says:

Ooooo! Awesome.

So when, after eating a meal, if you feel sick; you can use the free WiFi to check off symptoms of food poisoning…

In that light, it’s public service!

12. unit3890 says:

My Jack in the box has had this for years and there is no five digit code you haven to enter

13. SAugsburger says:

@WasabiJoe: I live near the same Jack in the Box, and at least when it opened you needed to enter some 5 character code to use their hotspot. I haven’t been to the Jack in the Box in the University Center in a while, so I can’t attest to whether they have dropped the password on their hotspot.

14. Knowzy says:

Thanks much for the write-up.

I was here earlier in the week laughing about the $30 minimum at JIB. That’s 60 tacos!

I have a growing list of Jack hotspots in the article. Let me know if your JIB is serving up free Wi-Fi and I’ll add it. UCI is already on the list.

Take care,
    Jeff

15. Ectophensis says:

This has been going on for some time now, I’m surprised people are just starting to notice. And it’s not just California and Arizona, either. I find this is the case all over Washington. But I’ve also noticed that not all places that have a number in the corner of the RippleTV telling you what the free wi-fi code is actually have wi-fi.

16. chrisjames says:

Common sense says that after something like a year it will be subscription based.

17. Chols says:

Big deal, the Taco Bell here in Starkville, MS (read: the sticks) has free Wi-Fi.