Round 1: Comcast vs Menu Foods

This is Round 1 in our Worst Company in America contest, Comcast vs Menu Foods. One company kills pets. Another kills file sharing. Which is the greater crime? The wisdom of the internet will decide.

See the master bracket of all the companies here.

Comments

1. homerjay says:

Ooh! Cool new voting dealie! Hope its not made by Diebold.

2. milty45654 says:

Seriously people…comcast…your illegal file sharing is more important than the safety of imports and their contents and the life of your pets?

3. milty45654 says:

Seriously people…your illegal file sharing is more important than the safety of your pets and the contents of imported crap from China? The people that are voting for comcast are way to jaded.

4. vladthepaler says:

How/where do you vote? I don’t see a poll on this page..

5. stopNgoBeau says:

@milty45654: Don’t have pets, don’t care about pet food.

6. AaronZ says:

The sad thing is, Comcast never hurt anyone or anything. And yet they’ll undoubtedly ‘win’ this round by a landslide. Good to know even “inteligent consumers” who read this site have priorities.

7. CRNewsom says:

@milty45654: I think it has more to do with their lousy customer service than with the file sharing. I have yet to meet a person who has had a positive experience with Comcast and is willing to tell me about it.

8. Ben Popken says:

@vladthepaler: Poll requires javascript. Do you have it turned off?

9. Toof_75_75 says:

@milty45654:

Menu Foods fixed their problem. Comcast still sucks.

10. Toof_75_75 says:

@Ben Popken:
    Hey Ben, what does being a “Star Commenter” entail?

11. B says:

Kind of a tough choice for me. I have a cat, but I don’t buy any menu-foods produced cat food because he needs diabetic cat food. And I have Comcast and I hate them. I still voted for Menu Foods, though, cause the poisoning of animals I figure to be worse than Comcast overcharging me for cable or their lousy customer service.

12. AceKicker says:

@milty45654: Killing the pets was very bad, but an unintentional outcome. Comcast’s customer service and network blocking were calculated and premeditated.

What’s worse, manslaughter or murder 1? (I bet both companies LOVE that analogy.)

13. trinidon2k says:

Wow. This is a good first battle.
    Menufoods did issue a massive recall and made it well known that the pet food was deadly. Comcast service is perpetually horrible.

I’ll go with Comcast.

14. clevershark says:

@homerjay: “Hope its not made by Diebold.”

If George W. Bush wins, we’ll know…

15. highpitch_83 says:

I chose Comcast because they are the worst offenders in their own market place. Unfortunately, there are more drastic cases of food-supply animal abuse taking place daily at 1,000′s of processing plants around the world…

16. Fist-o™ says:

Would anybody care to offer their condolences? My cable company just relinquished my region to Comcast… so now, my ISP and Cable company is Comcast.

Schmeckendeugler

17. apotheosis says:

More accurate description: One made a stupid mistake that accidentally killed pets, and acted to change the problem. The other has made, and continues to make, deliberate decisions that infuriate customers, then been dismissive and deceptive when said customers confront them about it.

18. bravo369 says:

I chose comcast because what they are doing is blatant disregard for their customers. If FCC lets them get away with it then what’s next? they’ll control what websites i visit? limit skype usage to after 9pm? In menu foods case, yes pets died but I don’t think that was intended. Comcast fully intends to screw their customers.

19. shan6 says:

Yeah at least Menu Foods had a recall.

20. bravo369 says:

also i would say that menu food acknowledged a problem as seen by their recall whereas comcast denied everything for months on end until they were backed into a corner

21. MissPeacock says:

My vote for Menu Foods was in honor of all the cute little animals killed by their products.

22. chucklebuck says:

I can live without Internet/TV more than I can live without my cat.

23. Angryrider says:

Wow, people care about their data more than living beings…

24. Nighthawke says:

Menu Foods was more media driven than consumer. Do you think they had a bad streak of luck with their suppliers?
    Comcast is knowingly and willingly denying service to their paying customers over something as nebulous as bandwidth.

Menu Foods has burned long enough, let’s put the cable company on the barbie!

25. sleze69 says:

Wow. This is a lot closer than I thought. Could Menu foods be a Cinderlla? I voted for Comcast as my dogs get Eukenuba.

26. QuantumRiff says:

@milty45654: Yes, throttling your internet is worse than poisoning your pet. It is censorship. How will we get information about things like poisonous pet food, if our information is censored by the providers?

27. esqdork says:

Two words: dead puppies.

28. SkittleKicks says:

Comcast, when shown that people are unhappy, basically plug their fingers in their ears.

29. milty45654 says:

I have to agree somewhat with the other side of the coin BUT…you can live without comcast..pets can’t live without food…you would think the quality standards would be higher and things like that wouldn’t happen…also, in many areas, I’m sure comcast isn’t the ONLY choice for internet service/cable. There are alternatives.

30. lpranal says:

@QuantumRiff: Comcast can be made to un-throttle the interent. You can’t un-kill a pet.

31. milty45654 says:

32. ogman says:

I voted for Comcast because in many cases you cannot escape them. They have monopoly power in many areas. Menu Foods I can avoid by simply picking one of the many other pet food manufacturers out there.

33. ogman says:

@AaronZ: “The sad thing is, Comcast never hurt anyone or anything.”

You’re kidding, right?

34. 46and2 says:

censorship is far worse than killing pets….im sorry you can feed your animals something else. but how about finding another cable provider? they monitor your files, somehow they know exact names you’re downloading and will shut your internet down until you delete the file….happened at my house with roommates, had to tell comcast we let a stranger use the wifi

35. Gev says:

Voted Menu.

Seriously, not being able to download your favorite TV show or that album you don’t feel like paying for doesn’t really compare to the way this company handled things when it turned out that their food was poisoning animals.

36. ExecutorElassus says:

On the flipside, being told that you’re a worse company than one that killed people’s pets has gotta sting. I voted for Menu (because any company that causes death is worse than one that cripples its product to me), but I see the difference between deliberate malfeasance and simple negligence, bad as the consequences were. And as highpitch_83 pointed out, there are worse offeders in the pet food sector.

Comcast: We’re worse than puppy-killers.

37. ogman says:

@milty45654: “I’m sure comcast isn’t the ONLY choice for internet service/cable. There are alternatives.”

In many areas, you are absolutely wrong about that. However, there are many, many choices of pet food.

38. @sleze69: Menu Foods produces some Eukanuba wet food.

Still, I voted for Comcast. I really can’t see how Menu Foods did anything willfully wrong. Blame the Chinese suppliers for the contaminated gluten–other pet food manufacturers issued recalls too, due to the same contaminated ingredients.

39. sgodun says:

I’m giving the nod to Comcast and here’s why.

When Menu Foods had a problem, steps were taken to correct it. Food was pulled from shelves and the public was informed of the danger, potential and otherwise. However much egg was on Menu Foods’ face, they owned up to the problem and admitted their error and did what needed to be done as quickly as reasonably possible so as to minimize the damage. Yes, some animals died but on the whole it wasn’t a lot of them (about 100, if I remember correctly) and the problem no longer exists. A solution was found and that was that.

In contrast, when Comcast has a problem (or more specifically, when a Comcast customer has a problem) they do virtually nothing. There is no urgency to the solution, and in many cases they make the customer feel like the problem is their fault. Billing problems, service problems, equipment problems, etc….the list goes on. Comcast has never and will never be known for their top notch customer service; it’s a problem that’s known to exist yet the company quite obviously does not care to correct it, unlike Menu Foods.

Given the choice between a company that accidentailly poisoned some pets and admitted to the problem and solved the problem, versus a company that purposefully restricts service and doesn’t admit to it (except under duress) and doesn’t solve a huge number of problems for a huge number of people, the choice seems extremely easy: Comcast by a mile.

40. sgodun says:

@milty45654: pets can’t live without food…you would think the quality standards would be higher and things like that wouldn’t happen…also, in many areas, I’m sure comcast isn’t the ONLY choice for internet service/cable. There are alternatives.

Right. And Menu Foods isn’t the ONLY choice for pet food. There are alternatives. Heck, you can fry up a hamburger in about two minutes and feed it to your dog twice a day.

41. sydcage says:

“The message is clear. The internet cares deeply about being able to download music illegally.” -Consummerist

As with the RIAA winning in ’07, Comcast will win in ’08. No landslide prediction though. I voted for the puppy killers!

42. Munsoned says:

Voting for one matchup every day might take a while. Just a idea: maybe a morning vote and an afternoon vote? Otherwise, this might turn into worst company of 2009…

43. NoWin says:

In hindsight, MenuFoods (and a few others in the list), should have been changed to “Any company unfortunate enough to have to import raw materials from China”

44. ogman says:

@milty45654: “Direct TV and DSL FTW…there’s always dialup…again, there are alternatives to receive your information.”

DSL is not always an option and dialup is in now way an equitable choice. Pet food choices are, however, abundant.

45. clevershark says:

@milty45654: “you can live without comcast..pets can’t live without food..”

Unless I’m very much mistaken pets don’t absolutely have to have food produced by Menu Foods. There are a hell of a lot more pet food brands to choose from than there are high-speed ISPs available for your location.

46. sydcage says:

@jrstren “maybe a morning vote and an afternoon vote?”

Not a horrible idea, but some people cannot get to this site during the mornings and afternoons. Now multiple times in one or the other is highly probable…

47. AceKicker says:

@Everyone that uses the ‘dead puppy’ argument:
    You’re making the mistake of arguing the results instead of the cause. It isn’t the “Worst Company Mistake in America”, it’s “Worst Company”.

MenuFoods made a mistake, but the company didn’t intend for it and are sorry. Comcast is not only not sorry, they’ve made things continually worse in the name of profit. And don’t forget that the network blocking is just one of a whole list of customer service issues they have.

48. Cogito Ergo Bibo says:

Considering all the ground meat recalls, maybe not!

49. Bladefist says:

It’s hard to compare these two, maybe the list should be sorted by comparable companies. Both these companies piss me off, but i’m being forced to pick animal life over internet. Gotta do it. But I think the thing to remember in these votes is, everybody loses. We’re voting on two terrible companies.

50. AaronZ says:

@QuantumRiff: “Yes, throttling your internet is worse than poisoning your pet.”

Douche.

51. ExecutorElassus says:

@jrstren: Like I said yesterday, there’s only 63 matchups. Three a week gets us done around September.
    Did I do the math wrong somehow?

52. Triborough says:

Menu Foods is not a state sanctioned monopoly with cushy deals with corrupt local politicians. Plus they can simply eliminate future problems by not sourcing from the evil Chicoms. Comcast on the other hand. . .

53. backbroken says:

If it makes anyone feel better about their vote for Comcast, it is very probable that Comcast trucks and vans, in the course of their regular duty, killed many more animals last year than Menu Foods bad pet food.

So now I’ve provided ample rationalization, vote away.

54. apotheosis says:

Headlines from the future:

COMCAST TECHNICIAN ACCIDENTALLY KILLS BELOVED FAMILY DOG; INTERNET COLLAPSES IN MAGNITUDE 11.5 NETQUAKE, EPICENTER NEAR THE CORNER OF GAWKER & WONKETTE

55. Ben Popken says:

@Toof_75_75: It means that you are awesome and the editors like your comments.

56. lonewolf333 says:

Menu Foods is alright in my book. I hate pets.

57. valarmorghulis says:

Menu Foods issued a recall. Thus admitting that their prrcedures were lacking. Comcast is both obstenant and unrepentant in their forging of packets. That’s my main issue with Comcast is that they *claim to be me* to the other party (or vice verse), and that they then *LIED* about it. The vote here is not for impact of their wrongdoings, but their activity in general. Everybody is allowed to f*ckup once in a while, what makes the difference is how it is handled.

58. Raignn says:

I think in general Comcast is the better choice in this poll as they are overall a more evil company.

However, my cats forced me to to vote for Menu Foods since, lets be honest, they did actually kill.

59. JeffCarr says:

This was a close one for me. Comcast has intentionally been shady in a number of ways, I was stuck using their service for years in my old townhouse.

Menu Foods made an unintentional mistake, but did wait a few weeks after they discovered the problem before issuing a recall.

The delay pushed me to voting for Menu Foods, especially since the “gluten” they were importing was finding it’s way into animals meant for consumption.

60. JosephFinn says:

@milty45654: Duh.

61. fireBLiND says:

I’ll explain my vote for Comcast as the worst company.

The affect of Menu Foods’ product was very much unintentional. They had no desire to cause kidney failure in your pets. They had their product recalled as soon as they found out. Making a mistake does not make one a bad person; they are willing to pay the price of that mistake. Comcast on the other hand, do make their customers suffer on purpose. They have absolutely no right.

62. sleze69 says:

@ExecutorElassus: We should do it like they do in the NCAA. Do sections of the brackets each day. We should be voting on 4 or 8 match-ups per day for the first couple of rounds.

63. Rectilinear Propagation says:

MenuFoods made a mistake, but the company didn’t intend for it and are sorry.

@AceKicker: OK, they didn’t go out of their way to kill animals but were they trying to make sure the food was safe?

There is a difference between someone who does everything they should but still accidentally causes something bad to happen and someone who causes something bad to happen because they weren’t doing everything they were supposed to. Neither of them intended for anything bad to happen but in the second person didn’t try to prevent something bad from happening either.

64. Trai_Dep says:

@AceKicker: “It isn’t the ‘Worst Company Mistake in America,’ it’s ‘Worst Company’.”

Luv my kitties an awful lot, and much sympathy for the critters that were murdered by the Chinese. But Menu admitted their mistake and corrected it (gulp – for now?)

But Ace’s comment sent me over. Good way of looking at it.

Comcast = eviler than puppy-killers.

65. Illusio26 says:

I can’t believe comcast isn’t going up against a #16 seed. They should have a much easier first round than menu foods.

66. 3drage says:

I’m shocked by the results here. I guess the life of Earth’s creatures is less important than your entertainment needs. Pretty freaking sad.

67. Trai_Dep says:

@Ben Popken: “It means that you are awesome and the editors like your comments.”

So your editors think you’re awesome and like your comments?

I smell a big fat raise in the near future for Meghann, Chris & Carey!

68. forgottenpassword says:

comcast offers consistanty shitty service at an overpriced cost. They are too big for their own good to be able to provide decent service. The traffic throttling & lying about it afterwards along with them filling seats with bums off the street at FCC hearings so that REAL people who are concerned with the preceedings coundnt get a seat….. is just the cherry on top of an evil company’s doings. SO comcast gets my vote.

69. DrGirlfriend says:

This is just the first round and people are already fighting and casting aspersions on the morals of those who voted differently from them. Yeah!!

I think how you vote depends on how you interpret “worst company”. Is Menu worse because their mistake killed animals, even if it was a mistake and they moved to rectify the situation? Or is Comcast worse because, even though they haven’t actually killed an animal (that we know of), they are obstinately anti-customer and will do whatever they possibly can to not fix their problems or help their clients? I voted for Comcast not because I hate kittens and kick puppies to the curb, but because I view “worst company” as a company that repeatedly mucks up and does nothing about it.

70. GuJiaXian says:

Is it just me, or can anyone else vote over and over?

71. mike says:

@milty45654: It’s not so much about killing pets vs. illegal file sharing. Comcast just rapes you with fees and charges way too much for service.

Comcast FTW…or is it FTL…

72. DrGirlfriend says:

@GuJiaXian: I just tried, and got: Thank you, we have already counted your vote.

73. IphtashuFitz says:

@AceKicker: Well said. If Menu had acted the way that Comcast continues to act then there would likely be a lot more dead pets and grieving pet owners, and Menu would be blaming the problem on them and not itself or its suppliers.

74. failurate says:

Do you think Micheal Vick would get more votes than Menu Foods?

75. IrisMR says:

Comcast. There’s just no contest.

76. cmdr.sass says:

On the one hand Menu Foods kills animals, while Comcast nickels and dimes you to death. One action is due to negligence and the other to malice. Tough call. I’m voting for Menu Foods.

77. RumorsDaily says:

78. Well, my bracket is starting to look pretty damn accurate so far. 1 down, one to go.

[i54.photobucket.com]

79. Sorry, one down, couple of dozen to go.

80. nequam says:

I chose Comcast because, while dead cats and dogs are sad, at least we know they all went to heaven (where they enjoy endless bones and catnip mice). People who deal with Comcast feel like they’re in hell.

81. AceKicker says:

@Rectilinear Propagation: OK, I get it. Dead pets bad. But can you put down your PETA membership card for 2 seconds and look a the bottom line. They recalled 60 million cans of pet food for 10 deaths. TEN DEATHS. Certainly 10 pets I wish as much as you were still alive, but but that is an awfully small target for any sample size to hit. You try catching that out of 60 million packages and see how many pets YOU kill.

It was bad, it was tragic, and for that Menu Foods was sorry and took steps to prevent it from happening further. In my book, that is not a bad company, but one that just made a mistake.

Comcast on the other hand, just doesn’t give a damn. They consciously degrade their customer service and actual service, while at the same time tacking on more hidden fees. So even though they haven’t been linked to pet deaths (yet), the intent is what makes them a bad comany.

You’re honestly going to hold a company that had no ill intention but made one big mistake over one that is constantly doing it on purpose? If that’s the case, what’s the one mistake you’ll always be remembered for and judged on, hmm?

I understand people’s love for animals, I really do, but I can’t how anyone can go the other way and say they had an objective opinion.

82. GuJiaXian says:

@DrGirlfriend: I’m not getting that message at all. Maybe it’s a good thing I’m a scrupulous person and won’t inflate my vote of choice.

83. utensil42 says:

@3drage: Actually (and I know this makes me a huge ass in many people’s minds, but I’m okay with that), I do care less about (non-human) animals than about the care and civility thousands of humans are given. Don’t get me wrong, I like critters and my puppy is incredibly important to me, but the fact of the matter is they are *animals* and do not have the same rights or protections (or expectations thereof) as humans do. In the contest here between human and animal, human wins. Now, if the puppy killing had been intentional, that would be another thing…

84. kellkell says:

Not that I think this will sway anyone but Menu foods knew that they had test subjects die from eating their foods and they did NOT do anything about it. Iams (who I would never use but I applaud them for what they did) contacted Menu and told them they had a bunch of dogs die and wanted to know why. They did a new round of tests and then went to Menu with the data and threatened them with exposure if they didn’t go to the media immediately.
    Menu knew something was wrong for months before they did anything. The only reason they went public was because Iams did their own testing and noted animal deaths. Menu would have continued for how much longer poisioning our pets if their own customer didn’t threaten them.
    It’s also of note that it’s likely that they knew for about 8 months and did nothing, so I wouldn’t say that they were innocent victims of the Chinese poison train. They killed pets by their inaction and would have continued if not for the theat from Iams.

85. moore850 says:

I dunno, directly destroying life seems more important than bandwidth, but I guess as a pet owner not in a Comcast monopoly area, it more directly affects me.

86. ogman says:

@DrGirlfriend: Luv your username! Go Team Venture!

87. DrGirlfriend says:

@ogman: Um, The Monarch would have to disagree with that last sentence ;)

88. Corydon says:

I have a hard time getting all worked up over the complaints against Comcast, even though they did arbitrarily cancel my installation appointment when I first signed up.

To be fair, I’m really more of a DIY kind of guy, especially when it comes to fixing problems with my internet connection or my computer or router, so I haven’t really needed to contact their customer service.

For me at least, their services seem to work, and I haven’t noticed any billing errors.

On the other hand, anybody who messed with my dog would be in for a world of hurt.

So I voted for Menu Foods.

89. Angryrider says:

What would happen if it were United Healthcare or Blue Cross and Shield vs. Comcast…

90. Rectilinear Propagation says:

OK, I get it.

@AceKicker: No you don’t. If you’d gotten the point of my comment you wouldn’t have gone on about PETA and dead pets.

91. Catperson says:

I had to vote Menu because a lot more pets died than 100 or whatever someone quoted above. They sat on the info that their food was contaminated and then refused to acknowledge that any of the deaths prior to the announcement of the recall could have been related. Most of the animals had been cremated or otherwise disposed of by then, so they claimed there was no way to verify the cause of the death and wouldn’t include them in the official numbers. Furthermore, wheat gluten isn’t something that animals should even be eating. It’s a cheap filler companies throw in their foods when they don’t care about an animal’s nutrition and just want to make as much money as possible. I honestly can’t believe that Comcast is winning, but I do agree that they’re a horrible company. I’m not sure why these two were pitted against each other.

92. Catperson says:

@Corydon: You said: “A lot of people are pointing out that Menu Foods killed hundreds of pets accidentally and took steps to fix the problem. From my perspective, going to the cheapest available producer in a country with minimal regulatory oversight and absolutely no corporate oversight is asking for trouble. This kind of disaster was entirely foreseeable, but Menu Foods chose to turn a blind eye and save an extra penny or two on each can of pet food.”

I agree wholeheartedly. I tried to post a comment earlier, but it appears to have been lost. My point in that comment was that Menu foods knew about the problems far in advance of announcing the recall and then refused to acknowledge any animals deaths that had occurred prior to the recall as being their fault because necropsies could no longer be done on the animals. What is a company who doesn’t care about animals at all doing producing animal food? Also, wheat gluten is garbage and is just used as a cheap filler in pet foods made by companies who don’t care about proper nutrition for animals. But they’ll still crow all day about how balanced and healthy their food is so consumers get confused and think they’re buying superior products.

93. Chongo says:

I can always pick a different pet food, but my business runs on Comcast and they have fucked with it a plenty.

also, didn;t they trace the food contamination down to a few people in China? Where as even the CSR’s and Techs at comcast SUCK

I vote for comcast.

94. Buran says:

@milty45654: File sharing is not illegal by itself. And I’m going to call a company I’ve personally dealt with at any point worse than one I haven’t.

First you manage to lump everyone into the “criminal” pile even if you have no proof that they’ve ever shared an actually-infringing file, then you manage to insult their opinions at the same time. Nice …

95. kellkell says:

@Catperson:
    I honestly don’t know where that person that said only 100 died got their information from. Not to mention that it didn’t kill the pets instantly and as a result cost people thousands in Vet bills trying to save their pets. They have routinely denied claims for the Vet bills as well. They are still lying to pet owners who are seeking reimbursement.

As for being able to get other pet food, when this was all going down, Menu wasn’t even open about who they manufactured for so people were switching to foods that had yet to be recalled.

No it wasn’t as simple as recalling foods, they were recalling foods for months!

96. consumerd says:

I voted for menu foods- last time I checked comcast may drive people insane but it didn’t kill anything.

You can live without cable, try living without a pet. You tend to grieve a bit more for the pet. The cable Internet and TV you won’t give a sh!t for, when your “Little tail-wagging buddy” doesn’t come and want to take a walk with you, or sit next to you on a couch, and no large corporation is wanting to tell you why.. that’s wrong.

Humans tend to notice these things a lot quicker than an Internet connection.

97. S-the-K says:

@milty45654:
    Comcast vs Menu Foods depends on

1) Do you have pets?
    2) Do you download illegal files?

Depending on one’s answer to those questions, that will make the decision.

98. bigdirty says:

Some folks have said comcast is inescapable, where as menu foods, people should have known what they were getting into when buying lower-tier brand pet food. So for the folks that live in north facing apartments that are in comcast country, my vote’s for you!

99. yesteryear says:

you guys… menu foods killed animals. comcast just made you wait a few hours to get your cable installed. jesus christ. this is really a clueless group of voters.

100. kellkell says:

@bigdirty: “people should have known what they were getting into when buying lower-tier brand pet food.”

It wasn’t just lower brand foods, it was some of the premium brands too. It ran the gambit. If you were looking to switch, it wasn’t easy. No one would admit to who their manufacturer was so you didn’t know if you were switching to a food that was going to be recalled weeks later.

Animals are still suffering with health problems and if they survived they will likely live shorter lives because of kidney and liver damage.

101. jeff303 says:

@AceKicker: Thank you for being a voice of reason.

102. sifr says:

To all the people saying Menu Foods manufactured just the cheap foods: No, they didn’t. They manufactured high-end brands, too.

To all the people saying it was just a few pets: No, it wasn’t. It was thousands.

To all the people saying it was just Menu Foods and you could always buy a different brand: No, it wasn’t. There were literally dozens of brands (I believe the number was over 60 at least count, for each of cat foods and dog foods), both dry and wet, from numerous vendors, not just Menu Foods. So no, you couldn’t just buy a non-Menu Foods brand and be safe. Nor could you know for certain what foods were manufactured by Menu Foods, or any other facility or plant, because the industry fought tooth and nail to actively hide that information from consumers. Even those who disclosed which brands they manufactured refused to disclose where they sourced their ingredients, and which facilities certain foods were manufactured in.

In short, for about half a year, pets were being killed by poisoned food created by unadulterated greed across the board, from most major and store brands, and there was little or no mainstream consumer information provided about any of it. Hell, for months afterwards, people were finding poisoned foods still for sale on shelves. Foods that had already been recalled.

Maybe some of you are annoyed about TCP RSTs. Maybe you should be. But you’re selfish bastards if you think being prevented from running BitTorrent is worse than having a family member murdered in the name of profit.

103. BrianH says:

We all know this is just the foreplay before the final Battle Royal Cage Match between Bank of America and Best Buy or Comcast.

104. backbroken says:

@S-the-K: I download illegal pets, so you can see how I’m conflicted.

105. yesteryear says:

@sifr: agreed.

106. Anitra says:

Comcast is less evil and infuriating than any other cable/internet/etc. provider I’ve ever had to deal with; therefore, the greed-fueled pet-killers win.

107. kellkell says:

For those of you that think that the Menu Foods Debacle was minor, you might want to hop on over to [itchmo.com] the top 2 stories are about food recalls and the 4th story is about Menu Foods.

I have no doubt, that because of the demographic of this site, that Comcast will win. I just think you guys shouldn’t be so dismissive of what Menu Foods did and continues to do.

108. cinlouwho says:

I don’t have Comcast nor do I buy Menu Foods for my pets. But I love my pets and Hate those that kill them! For those of you who have Comcast, why can’t you just go elsewhere? Or is that the problem..Comcast won’t let you?

109. Narockstar says:

I both own pets and download files. Files, I could live without, but mess with my pets and I will cut you.

And from information about the class action lawsuit: As of April 2007, a total of 3,730 pets died of kidney failure and another 11,700 got sick.

110. Jefeweizen says:

@milty45654: Your assumption on why I voted Comcast is wrong. I voted Comcast because I have consistently gotten poor service, they don’t deliver on their product, and they screw up my billing. They also sent a high/drunk tech to my home for the installation – who arrived 7.5 hours PAST the scheduled time.

Sure, I care about my two dogs. But I have a choice with what to feed them. I don’t have a choice about my cable provider. And yes, I must have cable because I need the cable cards for my TiVo. Otherwise, Comcast wouldn’t be getting a penny from me.

111. Jefeweizen says:

@cinlouwho: Comcast is the only cable provider for my market.

They claim they don’t have a monopoly because of competition with satellite providers. But I can’t get a cable card from the satellites for my TiVo, so I’m stuck with a cable provider.

112. AceKicker says:

@cinlouwho: There are a lot of areas where there is only a single provider, especially if you’re outside the city. You go with them or you go without. Here in NH, the top half is owned by Verizon (which is trying to sell all their lines off to some worse off company named Fairpoint) and the bottom half is Comcast, with Time Warner getting the better part of Maine. They would rather have monopolies in contained areas than trying to compete in the open market.

As for Menu Foods, they managed to make it on the list so no one is saying they’re a saint. They screwed up big, but it’s the repeated abuse of their customers that makes me hate Comcast more. Search for Menu Foods and search for Comcast at the top of the page and see which one gets the worse wrap. Network blocking is just one of a huge list of transgressions. I can’t hold one big atrocity over thousands of smaller ones done every day.

113. thesilentnight says:

Can’t access the poll.

114. sifr says:

@jefeweisen: “But I have a choice with what to feed them.”

really? identify the manufacturer of your pet food. Identify the source of the ingredients used in your pet food. Identify the facility in which your pet food is manufactured.

Bet you can’t.

115. sam says:

For all those that think the recall wasnt Menu’s fault, Menu changed suppliers to reap a bigger profit, they and other pet food companies began getting reports of sick pets in Nov/Dec and chose to do nothing. They did not willingly come forward, another company threatened to go public if they did not begin a recall so they had no choice. They let thousands of pets die before the official recalls began in March of 2007 and to this day they are trying to lessen the number saying maybe a hundred, what a crock. And why is there no outcry over Menu Foods CO dumping his stock so conveniently the day before the recalls, didnt Martha Stewart get jailtime for something similar? And exactly what do you believe Menu has done to “fix” the problem? They havent reimbursed a single soul, they havent apologized to anyone expect for the Pet Food Industry and to date, there are no real changes that have occurred to make pet food safer. Menu’s publicity still tries to make them the victim rather than all the families pets they killed. If you think this only affects pet food, think again, our pets were the canaries in the coal mine. Your food is next. That to me, deserves a big vote for Menu being the worst company in America. And think about those pets who are still having medical issues from their poison food, the fallout from this even though it was one year ago, is still happening. Menu had tons of money to have had testing equipment at their facility to have prevented this, a similar problem happened to Asia pets in 2004, and it was from the same combo of toxins, this was not an unknown substance as they would like everyone to believe.

116. ogman says:

@S-the-K: So, how do people with pets, who download illegal files vote? Or, how about those who have no pets and don’t download illegal files?

Yeah, silly generalizations are kind of messy, huh.

117. lilkeith7 says:

I voted for Comcast. I don’t have a pet and see no need for a pet and its my personal opinion that humans shouldn’t keep animals as pets, they should be allowed to survive on their own and not be caged up or kept indoors all day.

118. smartwatermelon says:

My pets are family members. I can get another Internet provider or escalate to the CEO or whatever with Comcast, it’s not important. Knowingly, intentionally, deliberately poisoning my family is important.

Yes, Comcast sucks. Next to Menu Foods, Comcast sings with the angels.

119. AceKicker says:

This has got to be the worst matchup possible for a first round. Why can’t it be Menu Foods vs like Facebook or something? You know, make it easy for us so we don’t have to come away feeling like we’ve been labled either as hippies or pro-dead puppies. :P

120. Jefeweizen says:

@sirf: If you tell me tomorrow that all pet food is unsafe, then I cook rice and chicken and feed them. Simple.

121. ludwigk says:

@milty45654: Net Neutrality is more important to me than a company that accidentally poisoned pets.

Comcast threatens net neutrality. This stifles innovation, free speech, and means that big media and big corporations can “own” the internet. Do you even fathom what that means? Millions of peoples livelihoods depend on net neutrality. Billions of people communicate and receive their information freely due to net neutrality, and billions of chinese people are stifled and censored from a lack of it (or at least their government tries). Net Neutrality is what allows the internet to spread ideas and change our lives, instead of being another media outlet controlled and censored by corporations. Without Net Neutrality, all of this could end.

So I say fuck pet food. Seriously. This is about freedom, and it is much more important to me than anyone’s dog or cat. Although, if a dozen adorable LOLkittens and “LOLpuppies” were staring me down, it might be harder to click on ‘Comcast’.

122. sifr says:

@Jefeweizen: “then I cook rice and chicken and feed them.”

Obviously, you haven’t looked into the details of making homemade pet food. It’s a bit more complicated than buying rice and chicken and cooking it. Like, for example, needing to source hearts and bone, and grind them, along with ensuring proper additives and additive levels (e.g., taurine).

There’s a reason a lot of people don’t cook their own pet food, and it’s not laziness. By and large, the neighborhood butcher is a thing of the past, and with their passing, so passes most people’s ability to prepare pet food at home, because they cannot source the necessary ingredients.

If you’re going to do something like that, I recommend Primal Pet Foods ( [www.primalpetfoods.com] ) instead, carried by Whole Foods. It’s what I feed my cats since the pet food nightmare. $17/bag feeds my two cats for about two weeks.

123. sifr says:

@ludwigk: “So I say fuck pet food”

That’s funny. I was just thinking “fuck ludwigk’s spoiled overprivileged ass for whining about file sharing”.

124. Akamaru says:

@DrGirlfriend: I agree with you. All emotions aside, **** happens. Sorry if your pet died.

The company took reasonable steps to remedy the situation to ensure that future incidents never happen.

When you mass produce food, eventually something is going to mess up somewhere. We all take for granted the fact that we have safe food in this country. Which is why everyone is getting emotional over this Menu Foods issue. But recalls and other situations are the downside to industrialization. Some mass produced batches turn out to have problems or impurities. Or workers may ultimately not follow the rules. There is only so much a company’s management can do.

Comcast’s business model, thrives on the fact that they have back door dealings with politicians. They are allowed to have an unchecked monopoly on cable television and Internet service.

When people complain that they aren’t getting the service that they agreed to pay for in their contract, Comcast ignores them or even cuts them off, while still expecting a check every month.

As far as Internet is concerned, in many areas it’s either Comcast or AT&T. Not much choice in the market, as you can see. I’ve tried AT&T. They killed their chances after they kept overcharging me and my room mate for service, then refunding us random amounts of money every 3-4 months. Now I’m upset with Comcast that they made it difficult for me to check my work e-mail over a VPN due to their packet shaping scheme.

Advertising unlimited bandwidth should be illegal if they don’t actually want to provide users with at least a few gigabytes a month.

I can go on and on about their crappy cable tv service but I’ll probably use up the rest of my bandwidth quota from Comcast and get black listed for a month if I make too big of a post.

125. DrSarcasm says:

Let’s not forget that Menu DOOFS did not do any form of compensation for those who lost their family members as a result of Menu’s tainted food. Our legal system views pets as property and allowed them to get away with murder.

126. sifr says:

@Akamaru:

yeah, to hell with the lives and health of us and our pets, we have to protect the rights of people like you saturating our local nodes so you can have every piece of pr0n ever created, along with all the stolen music and software you can get your hands on.

Seriously, list the number of commercial applications that make use of bittorrent or other p2p distribution mechanisms: Let’s see….. WoW. That’s pretty much it. And there are alternative patching mechanisms available for that.

So, unless you’re going to sit there with a straight face and demand that your life is irreparably harmed by not being able to download MP3s from bands who have intentionally and in writing made available their product for free, and from whom no other means of distribution is available, you’re coming off like a spoiled child.

Wah! My bittorrent doesn’t work! Wah! I can’t saturate my node without negative repurcussions! Wah! I can’t watch reality TV 24/7/365! Wah!

Intentionally producing and selling melamine-laced ingredients, intentionally buying them, and intentionally distributing foods containing them all for the sake of a quick buck at the expense of your and your family members’ health comes in a damned sight higher on the importance meter than your ability to bask in the luxury of on-demand crap TV and high-speed network connectivity.

127. ahwannabe says:

@yesteryear: Are you surprised? This is the same forum that decided the RIAA was worse than Halliburton last year.

128. shibadiva says:

Menu Foods killed or sickened possibly tens of thousands of companion animals. Their CFO sold a whole bunch of stock right before the pet food recall was announced. A year later, and they still haven’t made good on the substantial veterinary bills to those who submitted claims.

For those of you that aren’t into pets, they were the canaries in the mine. Don’t think you’re not eating adulterated garbage also.

If y’all are worried about file sharing, it says a whole lot about the society we live in.

129. sifr says:

Someone should post this to itchmo and other sites, so the vote more accurately reflects the severity and reprehensibility of Menu Foods’ behavior.

130. GC says:

What the hell is wrong with you people?

131. ShinRa-TDR says:

@lpranal:

You can’t retroactively unthrottle the internet, doing it now would be like buying a new pet for the person and apologizing.

132. @milty45654: Local monopoly. Research before making comments please.

133. pigeonpenelope says:

i vote menu foods. i haven’t had a problem with comcast.

134. Rhyss says:

I appreciate that bad service is a pain in the a** – however, being annoyed is not being dead. There are more pet owners now then ever in the US. And as I’ve seen mentioned more then once – the pet food crisis is the canary in the coal mine. I love my kitties, but I love my mom too. I don’t want either of them to eat food tainited with plastic, antifreeze, tylenol or anything not listed on the ingrediants. Don’t be short-sighted.

135. Charred says:

Menu Foods, all the way.

136. RStewie says:

Where was this all day yesterday? I visited the site numerous times, never saw this, and missed my chance to vote!! dammit!

Menu Foods FTW!!

137. Rectilinear Propagation says:

@AceKicker: It wouldn’t have had to be like that if people would stop insisting that the other company isn’t so bad.

Comcast: As you said yourself they’re evil on purpose. Bad customer service, purposely degrading the service they provide, and the fact that they are a monopoly in many places. It is stupid and unfair to deride people voting for Comcast for only caring about file sharing.

Menu Foods: Killed pets. Made many more pets sick. Denied it for weeks and even now, according to shibadiva, refuse to pet vet bills for the animals they made ill. They may not have poisoned the food on purpose but they weren’t necessarily trying to make sure the food was safe either.

They are both bad companies. People have different opinions about which is worse and for different reasons. That’s fine. But no one did their argument any good by trying to pretend people’s issues with the other company were petty.

138. failurate says:

@Narockstar: And those are just the reported numbers. You could probably at least double both of those for the people who didn’t report or didn’t understand what was happening to their pet.

139. wfpearson says:

For me my vote for Comcast, which is really a vote against Comcast, is more about lousy customer service magnified by the power of a monopoly franchise granted to it by local governments. I call it Comcascism.

140. DjDynasty says:

Considering I have a large home & barn that is a foster home for nearly 25 cats (all fixed) who with the exception of the cats who would not eat cat food, and would only eat tuna & chicken breast, every single animal died. Various ages, and health, and they all went and died!

141. MauriceReeves says:

Come on, it’s not even a contest…Bombcast may suck as a company, but people were losing family members over the crap Menu Foods pulled. Comcast is just generally completely incompetent, but I’d still purchase service from them.

And those who think that that’s no big deal, tell that to every child who’s ever lost a pet.

142. phyiphyi says:

stopNgoBeau — For you and others that do not recognize the horrid greed of Menu and Diamond Foods in selling contaminated pet foods — the melamine and cyanuric acid is from coal production and was found in wheat gluten, wheat flour, rice flour and rice gluten. Just read your boxes of crackers and snacks. What is in them? This is not all, most of the recalled pet food was “gleaned” by hog and chicken farmers and fed to their animals. THEN IT WAS SOLD TO AND EATEN BY YOU! Menu foods is really in a tie with Shelley’s FRANKENSTEIN with we US citizens as the creatures. Many of us have eaten animals that ate contminated food. BTW, THOUSANDS of animals died and the FDA helped the companies ignore most of the reports.

143. phyiphyi says:

PS — the pet food problems started years ago in Asia 2004, then other countries. My cat, Purr-Purr, nursed me through cancer, then I put her on Natural Balance. Then added Trader Joe’s canned pet food — still manufactured by Menu Foods. She developed cat renal failure, but I did not know it and could not afford the vet bills. So yeah, Menu foods and all greed motivated businesses should be exposed and boycotted.

144. phyiphyi says:

I see a lot of comments about having product choices with pet foods. Most pet food companies outsource to Diamond Foods and Menu Foods. That’s right, you think you are getting different products, but you really are not. It was at Diamond Foods that they put the poison rice gluten in a product that did not even have it on the label. Dead is dead. I can write all over the place complaining about the raw deal with Comcast and hope things improve. I cannot bring back my pet. BTW I now do research,do not use pet food with grains, and use companies that are not associated with Menu or Diamond etc.

145. egoebelbecker says:

@AceKicker: Waaaah! Who cares about dead pets? I want my torrents!

A lot more than 10 pets were killed, but what if it was “only” 10? How many dead dogs are worth free access to file sharing?

Read the timeline Their CFO was dumping stock while they were receiving complaints of poisoned pets. They may have waited as long as 3 months before announcing anything.

146. pjtybone says:

It did say company in America, right? This is a no brainer. Anyone with a heart and soul or any decency for that matter knows the answer to this silly question. You figure it out!!

147. newguy546876 says:

I had Comcast’s Triple Play for 5 days. Nothing worked. It took many hours over the phone over two months to make sure I wasn’t charged for their terrible service. Still, no living creature died as a result. I vote Menu Foods.

BTW, next tourney you need to do a better job of seeding. Comcast and Menu Foods are both #1 seeds in my book and shouldn’t be meeting until the Final Four.

148. cds619 says:

I’ll go with Comcast. Their customer service, while pathetic, isn’t even an issue. They’re trying to control the internet, block access to competitors, and monopolize the entire communications industry. Menu foods is terrible, but Comcast raises the bar (or I guess lowers it would be more accurate).