Walmart ends Linux in-store experiment, will sell Linux-based machines online only. [AP]

Comments

1. AcidReign says:

There was a review of these machines in the PCWorld magazine I got, and from what I read, they are poorly configured Linux-FreeSpire machines with ancient hardware comparable to machines sold 5 or more years ago.

The average person that’s likely to buy a PC in Walmart is going to have poor luck with Linux, in any event.

2. WalMart’s going back to exclusively carrying their favorite OS, huh?

3. Moosehawk says:

Didn’t really see this succeeding anyway. Anyone who is capable and wants to run linux is most likely going to custom build their machine.

The general public doesn’t use linux.

4. HeartBurnKid says:

@AcidReign: Actually, they’re poorly-configured Linux-gOS machines. gOS being Ubuntu with a candy shell built on Enlightenment.

Wal-Mart used to sell Freespire machines, but that was a long time ago and they pulled the plug on that one too.

Third time’s the charm?

5. cde says:

Actually, the computer is pretty good. The motherboard + cpu combo sells for like 60. So for 200 you buy ram, mb, cpu, hd, and huge case.

6. cde says:

@cde: Damn. Forgot to mention, the 200 dollars include a monitor as well.

7. humphrmi says:

@Moosehawk: Actually the article points out that the gPC2 sales will continue on walmart.com. They just don’t sell well in stores.

8. cde says:

@humphrmi: THe gOS dev system (MB + cpu) sells for 60. No need to buy the Walmart one, which the gOS2 is the same just monitor-less. That kills part of the savings.

9. SimonSwegles says:

Linux is a very hard sell for the average public computer user. So few people seem to understand what Linux even is. When I try to get people in my hometown into my introductory Linux class I get questions like “will that run on Windows?”. And anyone who understands what Linux is will likely spout 10-year-old FUD.

10. stopNgoBeau says:

@SimonSwegles: Well? Will it run on Windows? :-)

11. cde says:

@stopNgoBeau: Yes, inside of VMWare :D

12. SuperJdynamite says:

@stopNgoBeau: “Well? Will it run on Windows?”

Actually? Yes. Check out andLinux [andlinux.org].

13. urban_ninjya says:

If I want a quality chinese built machine, I’m going to Apple.

Some how the idea of Linux (the epitomy of Free and Openess, but really isn’t) on Chinese (the communist, yet kicking our US ass in capitalism) machines doesn’t make sense to me.

14. guroth says:

You’re trying to say that there are computers that aren’t built by Chinese?

Or you’re trying to say that Wal-mart sells quality built computers?

Or you’re an Apple fanboy who really has nothing to say that doesn’t include Apple praising?

Yep, I think that last one is it.

15. humphrmi says:

@urban_ninjya:

Then this will probably make your head explode… the Chinese Government has their own Linux distro. It’s called Red Flag and it was financed by a government-owned venture capital company.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Who knows? Maybe the Chinese like it because it’s free. Or maybe they feel like Richard Stallman is a kindred spirit. Whatever, the Chinese love Linux.

16. cde says:

@urban_ninjya: Most Apples are built in Mexico.

17. tmlfan81 says:

@cde:

I think I remember seeing the Mac mini on the combo menu at the local Red/Green Burrito.

18. cde says:

@tmlfan81: I’ll take two then, soft shell, hold the tomatoes. On second though, extra sour cream please.

19. STrRedWolf says:

Better for a Linux geek to come in here and hold up a proper end.

First of all, $200 for everything isn’t half bad of a deal… if all you need is email and web browsing. Grandpa would do that, but not little Johnny who wants an Xbox 360. The Everex gPC isn’t a powerful machine — it’s based on a VIA processor, which in terms of comparison are enhanced Pentium 2′s.

You heard me right, Pentium 2′s. They’re just capable enough for email and most web surfing. Maybe video.

To the elders who want a safe system to go online with, the gPC is great. To geeks like me who are looking for a cheap, low-power server, it’s a good hackable platform. For the average Joe and Martha, though, you’re better served with a HP/Compaq or Dell (yeah, I know) that WallyWorld sells in-store; most geeks will hang out online at Newegg and build their own.

What a shame. I was hoping to get one locally.

20. HeartBurnKid says:

@urban_ninjya: So, how is Linux not free and open?

Seriously, I’d really like to know your thoughts on the matter.