Man Haggles With Dell Over Laptop Since 2005

There have been several business article written about how Dell is changing its bad customer service ways, but after you read Anthony’s horrible tale, you will know that Dell hell is very alive and very real:

In April of 2005, I purchased a Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop computer. Approximately a year later, I was given a replacement for ongoing issues with the computer, and that replacement served me fine for approximately another year before it too had ongoing issues and was replaced under warranty. However, this is where the problems began…

In June of 2007, I received the replacement for my Inspiron 9400, which replaced my original Inspiron 9300). The model was an Inspiron 1720, and in several ways, was inferior to my previous system. I explained this, and was granted a replacement for it as my points were valid. Once I received the replacement, a Dell XPS M1710 computer, I shipped back both the Inspiron 1720 and the 9400 that I had in my possession. However, upon inspecting the XPS M1710 I received, it was not, still, “the same, or better than” my Inspiron 9400 (which I was told it would be). So, I escalated the issue even further, and was granted yet another replacement. In mid-August of 2007, over 2 months since my original request for a replacement, I finally received an adequate replacement, that certainly exceeded my expectations in terms of its specifications and features.

This XPS M1710 worked great for approximately 2 months before it, too, started having issues. I proceeded with NUMEROUS replacements. Only 3 times was I able to have a technician to my home to replace the damaged/malfunctioning parts, due to the duties of my job, but I am a capable A+ Certified technician myself and am fully qualified to replace the parts myself, although I am not a “Dell Certified” technician. Each and every time a parts replacement dispatch was sent to my home, I promptly returned the defective part within the 15 business day allotted time that I am given. I, however, after a pattern of specific replaced parts (namely the videocard) began searching the internet to see if anyone else was affected by consistent videocard issues. It turned out that I was not the only one affected by these issues, so I requested a replacement computer in February of 2008. The replacement arrived at my door on February 19, 2008.

Approximately 2 months before this, however, I received a phone call from someone in Dell Collections asking about the defective parts I returned, along with the Inspiron 9400 and first XPS M1710 I received. I provided any and all information that was asked of me, including tracking numbers and ship dates, and believed the matter to be closed, and never heard anything more about it.

The replacement computer that arrived to me on February 19, 2008, was an XPS M1730 computer which was shipped to me directly from Dell Returns. Upon opening the box for the computer, I was appalled. The computer is heavily used, very beat up, with 2 noticeable dings below the DVD drive, scratches on the LCD lid, LCD itself, palmrest, and finally several dead pixels on the LCD screen, coupled with very low brightness of the LCD. COMPLETELY unacceptable. On top of that, it does not have certain things that I was told it would have.

I began stating the issues with this new computer, and ran into a brick wall, as I kept being told to be “happy” with what I received. I finally got into contact with Mr. Mike McKinney at the Dell Resolutions department, and he agreed to replace the system yet again, and sincerely apologized for the inconveniences. I thought these matters would come to a close, and awaited Mike’s response and notification of the system replacement.

However, none of this came, and I wanted to (obviously) know the status of my case. At this point, I filed a claim with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) as I’ve grown extremely tired of these constant issues. On February 24, I was told by a very rude Dell Technical Support representative that there would be no more replacements, and he escalated the case to the Fraud department. This made me VERY angry as I had not, and never would, commit ANY kind of fraud. Again, I will repeat what I stated above. For everything that was asked of me in terms of replacement computers and replacement parts, I did EVERYTHING exactly as I was told to do. I shipped back every defective part without fail, and shipped back every computer that was replaced. After several days of not knowing what was happening, I finally was given the contact information for “Neil”, who was handling my case. I got into contact with him at approximately 10:30AM on February 28th, and was treated VERY rudely. The person did not listen to ANYTHING I said, and repeatedly said that there would be no more replacements. At this point, I am so frustrated and so angry, I cannot even describe it in words.

The Better Business Bureau case is still open, and has been updated with the most recent information. I have not, nor would not, commit any kind of fraud against Dell. I don’t know where the error is, but it is CERTAINLY not on my end, as I will state again, I did everything I was told to do in a timely fashion.

I would like a timely resolution to this problem, and expect someone to contact me regarding this. Please contact me at the above address, or by phone at [redacted]. I appreciate your time and help in these matters.

Sincerely,

Anthony Nicholas

March 3

Dell at this point is REFUSING to do ANYTHING. They don’t want to replace the laptop, they don’t want to send me the parts to replace the defective/damaged ones on the laptop, NOR do they even want to send a technician to replace the defective/damaged parts.

The laptop itself now refuses to boot (Machine Check Exception bluescreens on bootup, not fixed by reinstalling or reimaging the OS) and crashes in Dell Diagnostics when it gets to the point of testing the CPU, which leads me to believe it’s a CPU error (the processor is likely faulty). Also, there is no wireless card or bluetooth card, which I hadn’t noticed before as I had never tried to do anything significant with the laptop, it had been sitting in its box. I verified the lack of bluetooth card and wireless card by removing the keyboard to see if the wireless card was present, and it’s not, only 3 wires that WOULD connect to the wireless card. The bluetooth module SHOULD be situated in a holder accessible by removing the battery, and it too is vacant.

A catastrophe this is, and Dell refuses to fix it or take any responsibility for it.

-Anthony Nicholas

March 6

OK guys at Consumerist… I could REALLY, REALLY, REALLY use your help.

Dell is refusing to “release my account” so that the computer can be fixed. The guy holding the account’s name is “Neil” and he won’t return my calls, nor will he bother to deal with me anymore. As I had said in my previous e-mail, the computer has gotten worse. At this point, after sitting for a couple of days, when I press the power button on the computer, the power LED comes on for about 1/2 a second, and then goes out. It refuses to boot at all, so now I’m stuck with a perfectly non-functioning, scratched up, dinged up, $5000+ computer.

Dell refuses to give me any refund, or fix the computer at all. I still have warranty coverage for 43 days, and at this point, I’m thinking Dell wants to stall and “review” my account for the next 43 days so my computer goes out of warranty, and they don’t have to do anything, unless I pay HUGE bucks for it.

Again, please help guys, I’m at a loss.

If you’re from Dell and you want to clean up your mess, you can email Anthony at fenuxx@live.com. You probably should, if you don’t want to got to bed feeling like the failure that you are.

RELATED: Man Haggles With Dell Over Failed Laptop For 3 Years

Comments

1. MissTic says:

Two words: brevity and paragraphs. Goes a loooong way when reading these things. I realize documenting your complaints can be tedious, but it’s much easier to swallow when in a reader-friendly format.

2. Aladdyn says:

Small claims court? Chargeback?

3. Skellbasher says:

Whitespace is your friend.

4. leemajors says:

They should have quit replacing your computer a while back, and you should have gone with another company at some point as well. You’re obviously getting nowhere with each other.

5. RIP MRHANDS says:

@Aladdyn: There is a statue of limitations on damages, aren’t there? 2-3 years ago may be too long to make a claim.

6. mojoshtudd says:

DId you try the EECB? Search for Dell on Consumerist… it has all the executive email addresses. I was on similar ground for a whole year… The day after I EECB-ed, I got a call from Dell corporate. They ended up settling the matter with me for $200… less than what would have made me happy, but at least the response was quick.

Dell is the pits. My brain was wrapped around a pole many times over after talking with their clueless tech support. Next time, buy a Lenovo or something.

7. theutopian says:

Your first mistake was buying a dell laptop.

8. Bladefist says:

sell it on ebay as is. lol jk.

9. DustoMan says:

So what were your problems with the initial two laptops? I’ve had two Dell laptops and one desktop and I’ve been pretty happy with both the product and service I paid for. I had an instance of a bad laptop screen connector that was replaced by a Dell technician. Then another where I applied a firmware update and hosed my drive. *I* did that and really, they didn’t have to replace the drive, but they did. No offense, but with all the problems you are having you should have either sucked it up or gone elsewhere by the time the 2nd replacement started to crap out. You’ve been though at least 4 generations of Dell notebooks at this point. If they couldn’t provide you with an acceptable computer, then it’s time to part ways.

10. Fenuxx says:

Well, the computer itself isn’t 3 years old. I originally PURCHASED my ORIGINAL computer 3 years ago. The most recent replacement is only a couple of weeks old (and died in less than a week).

I tried an EECB, didn’t get anywhere, my BBB case is still going, with no response from Dell, and they refuse to do anything, be it fix the computer, replace this pile of garbage, or even refund my money (the last one is a longshot, I know).

The guy I spoke with, “Neil” was, as I said outrageously rude to me, wouldn’t listen to anything I said, and refused to work with me. Heck, he wouldn’t even give me his actual department (just “top escalations”) nor his last name. I know he’s legitimately from Dell, as I dialed his extension (given to me by a chat rep).

I’ve done absolutely NOTHING wrong here, and somewhere, somehow, SOMETHING got screwed up along the way. It certainly wasn’t on my end, as I did everything exactly “by the (Dell) book”.

11. SkokieGuy says:

This rambling letter doesn’t make clear, exactly how many replacement computers were sent? If I’m reading right, 4 replacements, then ” I proceeded with NUMEROUS replacements”. And how many parts the poster installed himself.

This is my first ever ‘blame the consumer’ post (are there prizes), but in this case it seems valid.

It seems like Dell has given this guy everything he’s wanted, over and over and nothing makes him happy and they finally said enough’s enough.

Is it realistic that 6 – 7, maybe 10 (how many replacements was it) are ALL broken and unsatisfactory?

I call shenanigans.

12. Aladdyn says:

@RIP MRHANDS:
    Possibly but he has a current contract with them (warranty) I would send them certified mail with all information and whatever proof. Let them know you intend to file suit. Obviously very important to get some paper trail of you telling them that computers broken before the warranty ends

13. Hanke says:

I’m on my second Dell laptop. My sister and mother are on thier first. I’ve never had any issues as bad as I have seen described by some people. With my current one a 9300, my keyboard has been replaced twice (both times due to my three year old) and I got a replacement for their poorly designed power brick (if you’re going to desion an item so that its cord can be wrapped around it, why have any connection on it that don’t turn 90 degrees?). I don’t know anyone else personally with problems, and where I work, all our PCs are Dell. So what the hell are these people doing with their computers?

14. Hanke says:

@Hanke: Oh, the first one took 5 years to fail, with a ‘flex’ issue. touch it a certain way, and the video goes to hell.

15. mojoshtudd says:

@SkokieGuy:

With Dell, it is quite possible that the replacements are not adequate. He did not say they were broken… but that they were not as good or better than the original..

I ran into the same brick wall. After fighting for a year, they said they are ready to replace it with a laptop which is as good or better than the existing one. When I asked them for the specs of the replacement, they refused… they said I wouldn’t know until I get it!! I only had their reassurance that it would be better.

When I asked them what they meant by “better”, they couldn’t answer. My laptop was a 700m 12.1 inch monitor and they said the replacement can’t be guaranteed to have that. Since I specifically wanted a small screen monitor, this was already unacceptable.

I have owned 3 Dells and can tell you with authority that they are good as long as they work fine. God save you the moment you need to deal with their tech support.

16. Bladefist says:

At this point the guy is just a huge cost, all profit has been lost. As a money making business, it’s no longer profitable to mess with him. And you know he isn’t going to purchase his next computer from Dell. And while that sucks for the consumerist, and this is a consumer advocate site, you have to understand Dell has no reason to mess with this guy.

Take them to court or move on.

17. redhelix says:

Christ, I would’ve demanded a refund after the second machine died.

18. ThomasD3 says:

I would go to small claims court without hesitation; if you have kept good documentation, this can go a very long way.

19. Aladdyn says:

@SkokieGuy:
    when he said numerous replacements he was referring to parts, not the whole laptop i believe. The guy wants a laptop that was of equal quality to the one he originally paid for. After they finally gave him one that was equivalent it stopped working after two months, and had problems with the video that other dell users also had. Im not sure how you read this as being “given everything he asked for” If I had a laptop that had issues and was still under warranty I would expect things to be fixed. I certainly wouldn’t except being ignored completely. if dell thinks he is trying to fraud them they should just have him ship everything back and when they get it give him his money back.

20. ChuckECheese says:

@MissTic: Relax. You can read for the main idea, right? I bet when you read the National Enquirer, you don’t bother to read every column-inch. When people get sucked into these problems, it gets hard to figure out what the important details are, so you cough up the whole hairball. And any Consumerist reader knows that when details get left out, trolls use it as evidence that you’re a liar or worse.

I’ve been trying since 2006 to get Dell to tell me how to clear the NVROM in my WiFi printer to get rid of old settings. They delayed for awhile, and now that the printer isn’t in warranty, they won’t return any communication.

In 2000, I mailed a notebook in mid-purchase agreement to Michael Dell, since it didn’t work and Dell wouldn’t honor the in-home repair warranty I’d paid extra for. Dell shipped it back, but I refused delivery.

21. NerdsMcGee says:

My name is Jay. I’ve been dealing with the same issues as Anthony with the same systems and issues. Different people spoken to, same circumstances. Dell is REALLY dropping the ball with regards to honoring it’s warranty.

I’m offically on replacement number 7 since 2006. Took 5 weeks for a status update on my last replacement. Pathetic.

22. SkokieGuy says:

@Aladdyn: I would love the original poster to clarify. It’s hard to tell, but it seems:

The 9400 replaced his 9300 (1)
    The 1720 replaced the 9400 (2)
    The MXPS1710 replaced the 1720 (3)
    The MXPS1710 was not same or better & he rec’d another replacement (4)

This 4th replacement started having issues after two months and then there were ‘lots’ of replacements, (parts?).

So it appears Dell sent him FOUR different computers all sorts of parts and he’s still having problems. I don’t think the company’s response (initially) was anything less than stellar.

Could this A+ Certified tech have tinkered with the computers and created some of the problems? Could he have been arguing about trivial differences in the specs of the computer, showing off his superior geekness and refusing to be satisfied with the multiple replacements?

Toward the end, he encounter rude or unhelpful people, which of course should not occur. I would suspect they couldn’t believe the amount of returns and back and forth and were afraid to agree to anything without getting a superior involved. When you see four replacement PC’s and all these parts, and probably hundreds of pages of CSR notes, you don’t just cheerily comply with every new request.

Should they accept everything back and give him a full refund, yes, and they should have done it a LONG time ago.

There is nothing wrong with consumers voting with their dollars and avoiding merchants who don’t treat them fairly, but merchants and businesses also have the right to ‘fire the customer’.

This customer should have been fully refunded and ‘fired’ a long time ago.

Shenanigans remain.

23. justdan says:

And so, the Dell XPS just fell off my list as my next computer. Dell was in high running too.

24. stephenjames716 says:

at some point in there I would have just asked for a refund….

25. framitz says:

It seems to me that Dell went above and beyond normal expectations for this customer.

26. STrRedWolf says:

It makes me wonder if I was just plain lucky with my Dell.

Ether way, this is beyond EECB. Talk to a lawyer, because Dell basically sold you a lemon.

27. cosby says:

@SkokieGuy:

Yea I have to agree with you here. This just doesn’t seem to add up right. Also the guy admits taking it apart some to at least inspect it to see if the wireless card is in it. One has to wonder if he did anymore to it. Also A+ doesn’t mean you are qualified to work on notebooks. They do take some extra experience that the poster may or may not have.

If I was dell I would have had a tech put anti tamper stickers on his machine a while ago to try to see if he was messing with it. Generaly from my experience(I was a notebook tech for a few years) people that have issues like he is explaining have either done something to the machine or treated it like shit causing the issues to pop up over and over again. We had a few people we refused to see extended warranties too when we would figure out that every 2 years or so they got a new machine as they kept breaking the old one.

28. foxbat2500 says:

I agree. How can one customer keep having so many issues. It seems more than odd. What the heck is he doing to the notebooks.

29. dorianh49 says:

With Dell, there’s a trick to getting decent customer service and a well-built machine. Buy business class. So… no Inspiron, no Dimension, no XPS. For laptops, buy a Latitude. Or a Lenovo Thinkpad.

Dell just came out with their Vostro line, which is a “small business” class laptop. Not as expandable as the Latitude (as far as Dell’s docking stations go), but they are supposed to be well-built, and much less expensive then their Latitude line. Plus, you get the Dell Business tech support instead of the Hell Home tech support.

30. Neurotic1 says:

After a number of disasters in the past with Dell, I only purchase dirt cheap disposable latops from them, otherwise I buy Lenovo (but their customer service is taking a turn for the worse lately). Anyway, my last call with the “Outlet” dept. went like this:

Me: Hi, I’m on your outlet website and wanted to buy a refurb. with my DPA account. The site takes me all the way to the final checkout window after taking all my info only to tell me to call you. Can you help me?

Dell: Sure, which unit are you looking at?

Me: well, I have it in my cart under my sign-in. Is there some way you can view my cart?

Dell: Um, no. You’ll have to delete it from you cart. It should go back into inventory and I’ll grab it.

Me: Well, if it goes back into the inventory, isn’t there a chance that someone else will grab it? This laptop is red and I’m buying it for a girlfriend and waited forever for something with these specs and color to show up. Is there any other way to do this? If not I’ll just use my CC.

Dell: Um..no sir. Once you let it go, I’ll grab it immediately. You have nothing to worry about, I do this all day. This is the only way to use your DPA account.

Me: ok. ready? it’s deleted.

Dell: Ok, let me take a look. Ummm, sir did you delete it out of your cart?

Me: yes. do you see it?

Dell: um..no.

Me: (sigh) well, what do we do? I deleted it.

Dell: I don’t see it. Hold on sir. [click, line goes dead]

I call back and after another 10min. of cursing on hold…

Me: um…I was just hung up on. I was trying to buy a refurb. from your outlet using my DPA. The guy told me to delete it from my cart and now I can’t even buy it w/my cc. I copied down the system identifier. Can you grab it for me before someone buys it?

Dell: which one? Sir, I can’t pull it up that way.

Me: hey know what? I’m looking at your inventory list and I see it again!! Can you grab it? Hurry before someone buys it!

Dell: um..I can’t see it sir. You sure it’s there? [after 10min. someone else buys it]

Me: well, know what, now it’s gone. I remember now why I hate Dell so much. Thanks for nothing!

31. RStewie says:

I wish people would take these at face value. He’s not asking for a judgement call on past actions, nor is he attempting to categorically prove his case to the oh-so-important people posting comments at Consumerist.

The poster is looking for someone who knows what the next step is, not a litany of questions concerning his actions thus far.

In light of that, I say small claims court. Also, try to contact a corporate company rep. And start documenting a time-line of issues, returns, down-days, etc, with your supporting documentation for future use.

32. OsiUmenyiora says:

This doesn’t sound kosher to me. The OP claims that he’s now sitting on a useless $5000+ laptop that doesn’t work. Five thousand dollars!?!?! I currently own two Dell 17-inch laptops, an Inspiron 9200 and an Inspiron E1705 (9400), and neither one cost more than $1300 and neither one is stripped either. If Dell sent him a $5000 computer to replace an Inspiron 9400 then he should just shut up, take it to a local repair shop and be thankful. Otherwise I want to know the specs on the original 9400.

33. rjhiggins says:

@MissTic: Sorry, but if he left stuff out you (or others) would be saying, “You’ve got to have everything documented” or “I have a feeling there’s more to this story” or the like.

The original letter was a decent length, and what follows were updates. If your powers of concentration are that lacking there’s no shortage of other blogs out there.

34. TheDTrain says:

@dorianh49: You cracked it. Optiplex for desktops if you’re going that route.

35. Vulpine says:

RStewie is right, but based on the article, all of these things have been done, at least once. Small claims court is only good to a certain amount of money, and according to his note, the value and time lost go beyond that limit. I personally would consider contacting a lawyer and check the viability of bringing up a full-blown lawsuit.

Aside from that, I would strongly recommend buying a completely different machine from a supplier that doesn’t have Dell’s reputation. At least one brand that I can name (but won’t) has bluetooth and wi-fi built-in to every model of laptop and either built-in or optional on every model of desktop from the lowest price to their highest-priced models.

It’s long past time to escape the problems you’ve been having. Time to move into something that has a reputation for reliability rather than a reputation of failed hardware. Remember, “You get what you pay for” and “You pay for what you get.”

36. RollOverForMore says:

Neil needs a swift kick to the nuts.

37. theblackdog says:

The OP shot himself in the foot the minute he dropped the “well I’m A+ certified and could replace it myself.” That suggests he may have been giving an attitude to the support people and such. Also, if his computer was under warranty he should not have been replacing the parts himself because if something broke again, the liability would be on him and not Dell. As others have said, he probably did tinker with some parts he shouldn’t have been tinkering with.

Dude should have sucked it up and had the techs come in more often or taken it to a repair center with a Dell-certified tech.

Sorry Mr. OP, but I’m blaming you the consumer on this one.

38. bobblack555 says:

Dude – Stop buying Dell.

39. MissTic says:

@ChuckECheese: I see that the OP has been modified to reflect paragraphs. Guess I wasn’t the only one who needed to “relax”.

@rjhiggins:

I think the Consumerist has posted numerous articles on the finer art of correspondence and problem resolution. Brevity and proper grammer were mentioned IIRC.

Sorry, I can put myself in the other person’s shoes much easier when they take the time to properly format their lengthy story. I would think those recipients of the EECB’s feel the same. Details are fine but it doesn’t take much to be succinct and still get the points across.

40. Ben Popken says:

@theblackdog: Not really.

41. pwillow1 says:

Wow this brings back bad memories! I have long been a satisfied Dell customer and over the years have purchased numerous desktops and laptops from them. However, I did one time purchase a laptop from them that had nothing but problems, and I will spend the rest of my days trying to forget the feelings of total frustration and helplessness trying to get this POS repaired under the pricey extended warranty I purchased. After replacing every component they could, one at a time (meaning multiple mail-ins to Dell), they finally decided that all my problems must be due to a defective motherboard. They replaced that, and FINALLY everything was fine. But that took more than a year to get to that point, and hours/days/weeks on the phone to tech. support, n ightmare in itself. At one point, they “replaced” my laptop with a refurbished one, but it was in such poor condition that I wouldn’t accept it.

I have no words of wisdom for this individual, only sympathy! I like the idea of small claims court that others have suggested. I have only twice filed suit in small claims court and both times, I received a check from the defendent prior to the date of the hearing, and settled the case. I don’t think it would hurt to take this approach. Dell will have to pay some lawyer to show up to represent them in court if you sue them. They will probably decide that it’s cheaper to send you the check rather than their attorney.

42. frogpelt says:

No offense, Anthony, but you bought one laptop from Dell in 2003 and have been getting replacements ever since.

2003 was FIVE YEARS AGO, dude.

If I was Dell, I would be slightly suspicious of you as well.

How many other people have you met (or even heard of) who have had 5 or 6 laptops replaced in that period of time, all of which have been “broken”?

43. AZTriGuy says:

I’m actually on my 3rd Inspiron 1720 since December, and a tech was at my house replacing the motherboard on this one just today. I’ve had a similar situation as the original poster, though not with the rude responses from tech support. They’ve been nice, and competent for the most part, I just can’t get a system that works for more than a couple of months.

I’m one week out from my new Macbook Pro shipping, I finally had enough with the Dell and Vista and am jumping ship. Just want to make sure I get the Dell laptop working well enough to sell once my Macbook comes.

44. rewinditback says:

i went through this same hell. it took john stossel, putting a long message on the dell message board forum, the ftc, the bbb, and about 10k phone calls to fix the issue. I am now a Mac owner.

45. pmcpa says:

Sounds like you think Dell should be waiting on you hand and foot. From your rambling letter, they gave you 3 free upgrades. They are in the hole to you. Then your system kept breaking, but by you replacing the parts, Dell now has no idea if you are installing the parts correctly or not. The Dell techs don’t have to go to your home, they can go and meet you on your lunch hour at work, or you can send it to them. If your still milking Dell for free laptops since 2003, move on. I am a Dell Reseller, and in no way is there anything beyond a 4 year service contract. Move on. Your clearly trying to cheat the system, and they aren’t suckers.

46. Fenuxx says:

OK, time for more explaining.

The original computer was NOT bought in 2003, it was 2005.

What issues did they have?

Inspiron 9300 (original) – Was virtually perfect until approximately
    a year and a half after I bought it. It severely overheated (videocard)
    and warped the bottom chassis, along with the palmrest. It was replaced
    with the Inspiron 9400/E1705.

Inspiron 9400/E1705 – Screen replaced, hard drive replaced twice,
    videocard replaced, motherboard replaced, and finally, videocard died
    once again (NMI Memory Parity Errors, common amongst Dell GeForce Go
    7900 GS cards). It was replaced with an Inspiron 1720.

Inspiron 1720 – No “hardware issues” with the computer, simply of
    lower specifications in every way compared to my 9400/E1705, and in
    several ways, even my original 9300. It was sent back nearly
    instantaniously. Replaced with an XPS M1710 (only viable replacement to
    my 9400/E1705, look into it).

XPS M1710 (first) – Again, inferior in many ways to my 9400/E1705,
    slower/smaller sized hard drive, and inferior screen (WXGA 1440×900
    screens weren’t even offered on the XPS M1710, I have no clue as to why
    mine was shipped with one). Replaced with a second M1710.

XPS M1710 (second) – Met and exceeded my expectations, and I was
    quite happy with it. It worked beautifully for 2 months before it
    started having problems (hard drive replaced 3 times, motherboard
    replaced twice, once because of the tech, videocard replaced 5 times,
    various reasons and lengths in between, CPU replaced 2 times). This was
    replaced with the XPS M1730.

XPS M1730 – I had very little issue (save for the videocard, which I
    was disputing, and initially was going to have resolved). It began
    giving me errors on bootup, and then Machine Check bluescreens, and
    within 5 days of owning it, does not turn on. This is in conjunction of
    all of the cosmetic defects, (used, shipped directly to me from Dell
    Returns) along with a faulty LCD screen.

You tell me how acceptable this is. I paid for a computer to use and work with. I need a working laptop. I don’t have one.

47. babaki says:

6 replacements and your still having problems. do yourself a favor and never use a computer again. you are obviously DOING IT WRONG.

48. Trai_Dep says:

Cough. Buy a…

No. I WILL show self control. I WON’T say it. :)

49. Fenuxx says:

@babaki:

I count 5 replacements, and no, I’m not “doing it wrong”. I’m a very
    skilled PC user. I’m a programmer, I’m a technician, I’m a videogame
    designer (or an aspiring one, at least, in college for it).

I’m certainly not “hard” on computers either. I’ve still got a
    “DOS-Box” (Pentium MMX 233MHz, 128MB RAM, Rendition Verite V2200 8MB
    video, 20GB HDD) that works like a dream. I’ve got a desktop that works
    like a dream. My first Dell laptop (Inspiron 9300) lasted over a year
    before it died. The second (Inspiron 9400) lasted nearly a year, and it
    just went downhill from there.

I’m very good with computers, I keep them well-maintained, and I
    pride myself in them. What has been happening to me is poor quality
    control (defective, REFURBISHED parts, a RETURNED computer that was NOT
    looked over, I guarantee it).

50. Adposs says:

I’m sorry, but 6 laptops and tons of replacement parts in a little over 2 years sounds like the problem is with the user rather than Dell. According to the OP the Inspiron 1720 didn’t even have anything wrong with it. Dell may suck, but unless the OP is exceptionally unlucky there’s no reason he should need that many replacements.

51. ChuckECheese says:

@MissTic: I’m (a little) sorry. I didn’t realize it was a run-on before. I wish I could share the newspaper classified ad I read recently where they forgot to insert spaces between the words.

52. SkokieGuy says:

@Fenuxx: Anthony, thanks for the more clear outline of the replacements and repairs you’ve been through.

The odds of this many problems you have to admit are unusual, but don’t even you have to admit that Dell providing five computers in 3-1/2 years + all the various parts is a resonable attempt to try and help in an uncommon situation?

If you did most of the parts repairs yourself, does that mean that Dell just takes your word that all these components are bad and sends you warranty replacements? Again, seems like they tried to do the right thing. And much more than they’ve done for many of the other posters here.

The rude CSR’s and unreturned calls are always wrong, but while they are saying NO now, it seems that they said YES over and over and over again. I’m counting like 20 times they’ve sent you items, between the parts and replacements.

Yes, you are entitled to a working computer, but when is it over? If they send a sixth brand new laptop. Then what? What if it has a problem? How long should they warranty the sixth replacement for? What do YOU Feel is fair? Part of fighting for what is right is knowing what you want and what you’ll accept.

Have you put any of your demands (what do you want, is it repair / replace / refund?) in writing and sent return receipt requested? This will help whether it’s the BBB or small claims. Why not request copies of the CSR & repair logs, which will show Dell’s side and potentially let you correct errors that may be impacting their current decisions.

If you plan an ECB, make it a short with one or two compelling paragraphs and put the diary of events (dated concise paragraphs) as a PDF atachment.

Good luck and keep us posted.

53. SkokieGuy says:

Perhaps pay to have an independent evaluate the current PC, and give you a written estimate of the repair costs? It might be a worthwhile investment to help you convice Dell you have legitmate problems.

54. MrEvil says:

I think the big problem with Dell claiming they didn’t receive part XXXX is because the return airbill is so damned old DHL has probably wiped all record of it from their systems. So Dell wanted to weasel their way out of replacing your machine again. If you can, check again and PRINT OUT the tracking results. Even better, go to a DHL office and see if someone there won’t give you a better record of that shipment.

If you can document that all parts Dell claims are missing were in fact received, then you got a slam dunk case in small claims.

And no offense Fenuxx, but in my expereince A+ certification only means you know enough to get yourself in trouble. Laptops are NEVER covered by any A+ training material. Dell is trying to cover their asses and yours. If you install the part yourself and fuck up, it’s your baby. And Dell doesn’t want the nasty phone call later. If one of their authorized techs screws up, then there’s recourse.

55. JEmmerth says:

I guess when it comes right down to it, I just can’t believe you. You’ve had five replacements, FIVE. The odds of all of these computers having problems is just too astronomical, without calculating in the other variable…..you. I wouldn’t have sent you a third…..

56. cudthecrud says:

The same people accusing the OP of breaking the computer and suggesting that he should have used Dell Tech support are probably the same people that, had he bought a computer at BB instead, would be touting the abilities of their tech savvy friends (who might be the OP).

57. sled_dog says:

You did have an acceptable replacement … the 1720, which you claim was not up to spec as the 9300.

Let’s see, shall we?

The 9300 uses a Pentium M processor, single core running on a 533MHz FSB. The 1720 is Core 2 duo processor running on a 800MHz FSB.

Minimum shipping RAM on the 9300 was 512KB. The 1720 is 1MB.

Base HD size is 40GB for the 9300, 80GB for the 1720.

Both have 17″ wide screen LCDs, resolution is 1440×900 for the 9300, 1920×1200 for the 1720.

The 9300 only reads DVDs, the 1720 writes them (double layer.)

Components not on the 9300 but on the 1720:
    -Nvideo graphics
    -Integrated blutooth
    -FIrewire
    -5 in 1 card reader

Not an acceptable replacement?

Information Sources:
    [www.notebookreview.com]
    [www.notebookreview.com]
    [www.notebookreview.com]

The last link is for the M1730, which is as much a leap up specification wise as the two machines just compared.

I’m not one to want to “blame the victim” but based on researching your claims I believe you have not been completely honest in this matter.

58. Fenuxx says:

What do I think is fair? At this point, I want the computer fixed,
    and I don’t care how. I don’t expect, nor want, at this point, a
    warranty extension. I had the option of extending it for another year,
    but I don’t want to, I’ll save myself headaches.

Be it them replacing the defective/damaged parts (I also expect the
    cosmetially damaged parts to be replaced as well, it’s not acceptable,
    and this was agreed upon BEFORE “Neil” ever got involved, and I was
    actually going to get a replacement).

I said I had no problem having a tech come out now, as I’m no longer
    with the company that was prohibiting me from scheduling a tech. It was
    denied. I asked about a replacement then, it was denied. I asked for a
    refund for returing all of the laptops, it too was denied. Any of those
    3 is acceptable to me.

While my warranty still has life on it, I expect it to be honored.
    Once it’s expired, then they don’t have to do anything, which is fine.
    But so long as the warranty is still intact (which it was until “Neil”
    decided to cancel it, based on him believing I was defrauding Dell).

As far as being competent to do the replacements myself, I am. I
    don’t know everything, nor do I claim to. I know enough to do the
    repairs, and Dell even provides guides online for them. Swapping a hard
    drive, by simply sliding the drive caddy (with the drive included) in,
    and having the drive be bad? User error, no. I use an ESD strap EVERY
    time I work on the innards of a computer, period. I always take the
    proper precautions. While I can’t 100% guarantee it, I am in HIGH doubt
    it was ANYTHING I did. Like I said, I’m well versed in these laptops.

59. arrival77 says:

5 laptops and 17 individual replacement parts… I honestly can’t blame them for thinking something’s up. I’ve probably purchased 300+ Dell machines for clients over the years and have never had issues such as these.

You’re like the friend I won’t take out to dinner because he always finds something wrong with his food.

60. dhemke says:

You have some cosmicly bad luck.

My current laptop is an XPS M1330, I still make good use of my 1st Gen XPS (P4 3.4). My home office box is a dell 9200. For years the home server was a dell optiplex P3 333mhz. At work I code on an Optiplex and use a company inspiron when I need mobility.

All the dells I’ve ever used have only combined for a dead HD and flakey PSU (which I admittedly overtaxed).

I’m just posting this to counter the “dell is crap” posts.

I would love to see exactly how you are using this things to make them fail.

Good luck to you.

61. SteveZim1017 says:

I am in no way going to try and imply that Fenuxx did anything to break the laptops or did anything other than what we all would do. But as an outside observer (who worked in Insurance Fraud SIU) I can easily see why they would put this in for fraud investigation.

Hopefully it all works out in the end for you though.

62. sled_dog says:

Inspiron 1720 – No “hardware issues” with the computer, simply of lower specifications in every way compared to my 9400/E1705, and in several ways, even my original 9300. It was sent back nearly instantaniously.

Based on a previous analysis, this was fair and you refused it. Dell sent you a machine with over twice the capability of your original.

Or maybe you were hoping Dell would send you a top-of-the-line “replacement” every year?

63. Rusted says:

@theblackdog:I’m A+ certified too. Doesn’t mean anything. At the time, all hands in the NOC were required to have that and the NET +. Or get canned. Just need to pass a test. Also no time limitation. When I got mine, the PCs were coal fired.

64. SuffolkHouse says:

Okay, that decides it. My wife won’t be getting a Dell, “Dude!”

65. armydrummer says:

1. Don’t get a Dell.
    2. You’ve abused the replacement system, because no doubt the computers you were sent were equal in monetary value to the outdated machine you had problems with.
    3. You can’t expect a company to keep taking losses like this. They have no obligation outside of the warranty, and honestly, returning computers THAT many times DOES sound like fraud to a CSR/equivalent.
    4. If you were REALLY that good with computers/could make repairs yourself, you’d build your own.
    5. Cut your losses. Get this machine replaced because obviously it’s a piece of junk, and then stop putting yourself in these situations and buy a fucking Mac or some s***.

66. consumerd says:

Never really had to many problems with dell. Some of the ones I have worked on just needed new hard drives.

67. marsneedsrabbits says:

I think you’re gonna have to go to small claims court.
    But to make it good,though, take a friend along to take pictures of you filing your case.
    Get pictures of you filing out the forms.
    Get pictures of your sad, computer-less self.
    Post it all to a blog.
    Post it here.
    Send link & lawsuit paperwork to Dell.

68. pfeng says:

And Dell comes off the list of contenders for my next laptop. Thanks Dell :P

69. tmlfan81 says:

You’ve gotten more than enough responsive service from Dell. At this point, it’s a matter of your word versus that of Dell. The replacement parts and machines were not satisfactory? To what standard? Your own?

You need to produce proof otherwise what you have stated is merely opinion and Dell will likely strong-arm you into a corner.

70. jarchie219 says:

I can feel for the OP. I had a similar, but less costly, experience with Sandisk over a defective mp3 player. I handled it by email and they were courteous and helpful throughout. In the end I had seven(7) RMAs. At one point they sent two (2) replacements. All were better models. I was ready to concede that they were designed for music and that my use with podcasts was killing them. Then one worked, and is still working well beyond the warranty period.

The models that kept failing for me are now showing up on sale as refurbished. Design problem?

71. corvi_yallis says:

Just second the other commenters, small claims court is the way to go. Just be careful with the statute limitation, i.e. if it’s 2 years, don’t use “I bought this computer in 2005….”. Just stick with the current issue, i.e. “my current laptop is dead after 2 months, and dell don’t want to replace it….”. My recommendation is to ask for cash and go by yourself an HP or Lenovo or Sony or whatever.

72. Pro-Pain says:

I never did quite understand why people overpaid for a Dell computer. I guess they are good quality or something? Is their customer support above average? In fact, why are they still around? I just purchased a Centrino Duo Core Acer laptop with a 250GB hard drive, wireless N, dvd burner, webcam, and 3GB of memory for $600. I speced the same laptop @ Dell and it was $1100. Go figure…

73. pigeonpenelope says:

@Fenuxx: your issue sounds incredibly frustrating. i think dell should make right. while they may be losing profit on you, had they decided to work hard to not give you a refurbished computer every time, you might have had a wonderful computer that you did not have to replace and you might have been a loyal returning customer. at this point, if they don’t make right, it will discourage some folks who read this site never to go to dell. certainly, i’d much rather buy from apple because my boyfriend has had nothing but good things to say about their customer service and tech support. he sent a computer in for a bit of repair and they replaced the cover because it had a couple of scratches. he got his computer looking and running like new. i’d much rather get support like that.

74. myasir says:

@sled_dog:
    That’s not all true. I bought a 9300 a while ago and got all the upgrades. That included a DVD burner, the higher resolution screen, etc. My system was essentially an XPS without the bloated XPS price. If Dell sent me a 1720 replacement that had lesser parts, I would be pissed. Don’t assume he bought the low end 9300. I didn’t and I’m sure he didn’t either.

75. pigeonpenelope says:

@tmlfan81: if you buy a product and they replace it with a product that is with less quality, then the product is inferior. he has posted why the product received was inferior. what about that did you not understand. also, in the consumer world, the customer has the stronger word and it is dell who must now prove they did no wrong.

dell questioned that guy’s integrity. quite insulting.

76. myasir says:

@sled_dog:

you wrote:
    Components not on the 9300 but on the 1720:
    -Nvideo graphics
    -Integrated blutooth
    -FIrewire
    -5 in 1 card reader

My 9300 had everything but the card reader. I also had the 1900×1200 screen, it was available as an option.

77. pigeonpenelope says:

@armydrummer: i fully disagree. as an experienced csr, if a customer had that many replacements, i’d work really hard to get them a better, higher quality product. i would not suspect the individual of fraud as he has returned the computers he was sent. it sounds to me that he has received numerous refurbished computers. refurbished means you simply get someone else’s problem. as one experienced in fraud, what he was doing does not constitute as fraud.

78. pigeonpenelope says:

@pigeonpenelope: does not commit fraud but works with (not in) employer’s fraud department to reduce internal fraud.

79. Nanki-Poo says:

Too bad that Fenuxx is not a common nickname. A quick Google search on it finds your Ebay seller page, with a curious list of sold items:

[feedback.ebay.com]

Shenanigans indeed. No missing items, eh?

80. TenaciousC says:

I have an XPS gen 2. I had video card problems as well, that were replaced under warranty. I will speculate as to what this guy is doing…

If you stray outside the dell video drivers you will fry the GPU. How do i know this? Ive done it twice with mine. He said he is a video game designer, programmer, etc… well those cats have a need to make sure the video card drivers are up to date, etc..

The last driver update for the gen2 (M170) was 6/13/2006
    [support.dell.com]

however a quick trip to : [www.laptopvideo2go.com] will give you hacked inf files to allow for the latest nvidia drivers.

I used I8kfanGUI to watch my temps on the GPU from the stock driver from 06.13.06 and upgraded the driver with the hacked version. Guess what? temps soared and i too have a disfigured case because before the vid card fried out, i witnessed temps in excess of 195 F. Prior to that, temps never rose above around 160F.

Here is my advice… leave Dell alone and build a machine for programming and gaming.

Can you tell us with a straight face, that you ALWAYS used dell drivers?

81. jwissick says:

Dell… Company to be blacklisted asap… Buy a mac. Be happy.

82. coold8 says:

Ironic….

I just ordered a M1730 on March 2nd, with an estimated ship date by today, assuming I would have it in time for my LAN party this Friday. Got an email saying delayed entire week, and Dell wonders why it is the high-end market doesn’t want to deal with them, when I spend $5k on a laptop, I should be first in line, not next to the guy with the cost of his laptop equaling the cost of my warranty. Make your high end customers happy, then repeat for your low-end, if it makes the high-end happy, it will definitely make the low-end happy!

83. CrysDark says:

What is really sad is the double standard. I have been through almost the exact same issues as the OP. Multiple systems replacements over the past two years of my four year Complete Care warranty. I must just be one of those people that emit bad vibes, because Dell laptops always seem to crap out just after the one year point… maybe that is why they sell these warranties…
    Dell has been bending over backwards in order to satisfy me. It took an EECB (apparently before they shut off that spigot). My tech has done everything in his power to make me satisfied, the included 3 replacement 1730’s. (The first for a dead charging jack, the second for overheating, now they are building me a new one, and this is an upgrade from a 1710).

I’m sorry fenuxx, I hope consumerist can help you.

84. Rode2008 says:

My impression in reading this whole thread (to-date) is positive re: Dell. For those who, based upon reading this, will not now consider Dell, I ask why?

It seems they’ve bent over backwards to please this guy. Not many companies will go the distance that Dell has on this poster’s “issues”. If I were the OP, I’d “”pretty up” the cosmetic blems, use his self-acclaimed expertise to repair the system, and then just sell it.

Whatever replacement he buys, I expect that he’ll be back here in this forum in the future bemoaning how company X is refusing to replace his notebook for the 6th time.

Be careful drawing conclusions re: Dell on this matter. Frankly, I’m surprised they’ve done so much to date.

85. Rode2008 says:

Can you imagine if this post were regarding automobiles instead of computers?

It would be somewhat analogous to the OP writing about having bought a Chevy Camaro and then encountered problems with it. GM would have replaced his Camaro 5 times – each time with a higher performance, more feature-laden model at no cost. presently, he’d be driving a Corvette (also provided at no cost by GM). How many would take this scenario seriously if it were a vehicle?

And what would GM think if it were known to them that he was “drag strip” racing all these vehicles? (analogous to his gaming work).

I share this not to impune the morals or ethics of the OP, but only to share my perspective.

86. CrysDark says:

@Rode2008: I reject your premise. Your comparing a $20,000 dollar purchase vs. a $2,000. The correct way to use your analogy is if you were to pay for the expensive extended warranty that is nearly 20% the purchase price; GM would continue to repair faulty equipment. If the same thing happens 3 times you invoke Lemon Laws and GM would have to replace or refund your money.

We pay nearly 15% price premium for 4 years of product protection. It states in Dell’s warranty terms equal or greater performance, not monetary value.

87. tempfoot says:

@Nanki-Poo – NICE Googling! What about it Anthony – Fenuxx – from Glendale AZ – have you been unloading Dell Laptop Parts on Ebay?

…further googling that handle proves…amusing. Kinda makes me rethink my own nonsensical moniker…

88. zombifiednixon says:

@tempfoot: Busted! Looks like Fenuxx has some explaining to do. Not that it will help seeing as he has been caught red-handed hawking the parts that he “returned” to Dell.

89. Chef says:

@Nanki-Poo: Coincidence? Considering the parts are specifically for the laptops he’s been working with(“I, however, after a pattern of specific replaced parts (namely the videocard)…”), with 4 identifiable [DELL GeForce Go 7950 GTX 512MB cards] sold this year, 1 probably last October as feedback mentions a “card working perfectly”, and the seller just happens to match his fenuxx username that seems to be unused elsewhere on the net, this is indeed disturbing.

90. sled_dog says:

Yup, an amusing google search.

Came across this …

I am the PROUD author of the NBF MobileForce modified NVIDIA video drivers for Laptops.

site

This just keeps getting better and better…..

91. sled_dog says:

Oops here’s the link:

[eq2players.station.sony.com]

92. bigat says:

LOL!

[feedback.ebay.com]

At first I was going to say that this guy is trying to get a new laptop every year. But guess what he is!! Not only that he is swapping parts out or out right selling the old parts and not replacing them.

This is great you just can’t make this stuff up.

Here is some legal advice for Fenuxx get a good lawyer, Dell could easily find out about this article and sue for misuse of warranty. They might just do it to make an example out of you, and for training purposes for CS reps. “What to look out for”..

93. bigat says:

WOW!!

Fenuxx is making some serious scratch off of the good people at Dell. Some of his past items on ebay.

[cgi.ebay.com]

Imagine that a video card for a Dell Inspiron 9400/E1705, XPS M1710
    [cgi.ebay.com]

Yet another one!!!
    [cgi.ebay.com]

Starting to notice a trend anyone.
    OVERCLOCKABLE FOR THE DELL XPS M1710
    [cgi.ebay.com]

My a** is puckering about now.
    [cgi.ebay.com]

That’s right people this guy has a never ending supply of Dell video cards. That is up until Dell noticed some things fishy.
    [cgi.ebay.com]

Fenuxx may I suggest.
    [www.alllaw.com]

94. sled_dog says:

HEY DELL ARE YOU READING THIS????

Go get him! It seems he’s cheated you and maligned your company.

95. sled_dog says:

Dude, you’re going to HELL.

96. CC says:

Wow this is an unbelievable turn of event!
    But as many posters had said, exchanging at least 6-times of whole computer plus replacing almost 20+ parts… it is just phenomenal, its either you are ridiculously unlucky or you are abusing the warranty system.

In this case I think sled_dog had caught you red handed Fenuxx! We seriously need to give Fenuxx a darwin award of some kind for using this unique user name to post both complaints and crimes. GG

*thumb up to sled_dog, Nanki-Poo, bigat for point it out*

97. Fuse says:

@Fenuxx: Wow it’s people like you that ruin things for everybody else. Scamming a company, trying to blame it as their fault and just making things harder for everybody else. I really hope Dell finds this and investigates it and slaps you with a big lawsuit.

You most likely made back the money spent on the laptop and even made some profit through your eBay sales so why even try to dispute it with the company and write to consumerist about it? You must be a giant retard or have balls the size of cantaloupes to do that.

98. Fuse says:

I submitted this fiasco to Digg (the eBay feedback page and this page). Hopefully somebody at Dell will notice it if it gets popular.

Digg it here if you’d like: [digg.com]

99. bigat says:

It’s blame not blaim.

100. TenaciousC says:

zomg… ut oh… LOL… This is awesome.

101. Fuse says:

@bigat:
    Sorry it was 6:00 in the morning and I hadn’t slept all night lol.

102. bigat says:

It’s ok,, unlike some people we know. lol.

103. babaki says:

all along we knew this was BS. you can smell it a mile away. 6 machines and various replacement parts all still not working. give me a break. he is even dumber for thinking people on here wouldn’t check out his story.

104. Fuse says:

@babaki:
    Congratulations sir, I present you with one internets.

105. SkokieGuy says:

Hey guys, this guy certainly seems to be a scammer, but posting links to dating sites and such is below the belt. Anyone could do that for most of us. Stop it!

P.S. Dell now knows all about him. *grin*

106. SkokieGuy says:

@babaki: On the other hand, “Douche Canoe”? That’s priceless!

107. Ben Popken says:

Just because he sells parts on eBay doesn’t mean he’s selling the same parts. He is a tech after all. As for those of you who say that his story is impossible, it’s not, here’s another one very similar.

108. Fuse says:

@Ben Popken: Alright I will admit that it is possible this is just all a coincidence but come on, the man is selling the EXACT same parts Dell sent him on eBay and he can’t turn up any shipping information on the parts he claims he sent back.

109. cheviot says:

It looks like Dell discovered, or inferred, the same information the posters here did and decided enough was enough.

Dell collections was already curious about the returned parts, as the OP says in his story. I don’t think it’s a big stretch to conclude that Dell discovered he was selling those very same part numbers on eBay and concluded they were being taken for a ride.

110. bigat says:

On top of that even Dell knows this guy is B/S.

From what we know, even IF he is inocent. The evidence proves other wise. It’s now time for him to explain the accusations against him. PERIOD.

For now I am placing my money on Dell for the win.

111. jdjonsson says:

Dell replaced his computer FOUR times that I could count, and he had multiple problems with every one? In my job I’ve dealt with dozens of Dell laptops, I own a Dell laptop, and none of them has had problems.

I wonder if he is abusing them, or lives in an inhospitable climate?

I don’t give much for his chances. Dell has already thrown tons of money at him to fix the problem, and at some point, they’ve got to say “Well, we can’t always please everyone.” and cut their losses.

112. sp00nix says:

Why would someone who knows computers by a Dell in the first place?

113. sp00nix says:

@sled_dog: 512Kb and 1Mb is alot! I my old PS/2 system has 1mb with its 12.4mhz CPU and 30mb HD, top it off it has dual 3 1/2″ floppies.

114. vdragonmpc says:

I dont know about the 6 laptops but hey I bought a server from them in a moment of ‘My boss will only buy from Dell’… I didnt like it but it was the only choice I had. I love that I was held responsable for the server I choose but had no choice in the company.
    One of the hard drive in the RAID array died less than 4 months into use. It wasnt even in production at the site yet and it up and died. The second drive died a short while later. (did I mention that dell sent a different drive the first time so they dont match now?)
    Then we had an odd issue with the drives where they had ‘preinstalled’ SBS 2003 Premium. Apparently the techs didnt get the memo that 5 gig partitions for the OS do not work anymore much less with SBS…
    Guess who got to fix that action?
    Then the motherboard died along with one of the redundant power supplies…
    I dont really need to even discuss the laptops…
    I can say that the a##hat that made me buy from them was the same one that claimed win 2000 was more secure and stable than XP SP2 and was still buying machines with 2000 preinstalled in 2005-2006… I love working with RADIUS on a 2000 laptop. ugh.
    Also I second the poster about the Optiplex vs other models they do have a noticable difference in longevity.

V

115. guspaz says:

While the sheer number of replacements across different product lines is very suspicious to me (as in, there may be an environmental issue at fault here), let me make one thing clear: The 1720 is not a viable replacement for a high end 9400 (and possible 9300).

The 9400 shipped with up to a GeForce Go 7900gs (lower high-end last-gen part). The 1720 ships with up to a GeForce 8600M GT (middle mid-range current gen part).

The 7900gs is generally considered to be the faster of the two parts, and moving to an 8600M GT would be considered a downgrade in performance.

Of course, without knowing specs and intended use patterns, it’s hard to judge. I would take a 1720 with a 2.5GHz processor and an 8600M over my 9400 with a 2.16GHz processor and a 7900gs. The higher CPU performance and the better video acceleration support from the 8000 series GPUs would offset the slower performance for me.

116. Ben Popken says:

Fenuxx tells me that the parts he’s selling are from closing a laptop repair store. You people are jumping to conclusions, and advocating personal harassment is completely out of line.

117. ErcoleWhale says:

@rewinditback:
    Comment on Man Haggles With Dell Over Laptop Since 2005 I was a Mac owner as well. I bought myself a fat Power Mac G5 Dual 2.0 GHz
    back in 2005. I didn’t have any substantial problems and turned my family
    and friends onto Apple computer systems based upon my experience. Each of
    them has had numerous problems with Leopard and I decided to be their
    representative to Apple support. Each phone call was as useless and
    frustrating as calling Dell, HP or anyone else for support. While I agree
    that Macs were the answer and that Apple had the best customer service, it’s
    all over now.