NY Governor and Former AG Apparently Quite Fond Of Whores

Current NY Governor and former NY Attorney General Eliot Spitzer is fond of pricey whores says the New York Times. Spitzer, who busted several prostitution rings while serving as AG, apologized this afternoon:

“I have acted in a way that violates my obligation to my family and violates my or any sense of right or wrong,” said Mr. Spitzer, who appeared with his wife Silda at his Manhattan office. “I apologize first and most importantly to my family. I apologize to the public to whom I promised better.”

“I have disappointed and failed to live up to the standard I expected of myself. I must now dedicate some time to regain the trust of my family.”

Before speaking, Mr. Spitzer stood with his arm around his wife; the two nodded and then strode forward together to face more than 100 reporters. Both had glassy, tear-filled eyes, but they did not cry.

As he went to leave, three reporters called out, “Are you resigning? Are you resigning?”, and Mr. Spitzer charged out of the room, slamming the door.

The NYT says that Spitzer is being implicated in a prostitution inquiry, and was known as “Client 9″ of a prostitution ring called “Emperors Club VIP.”

A wiretap captured a man later identified as Spitzer “on a telephone call confirming plans to have a woman travel from New York to Washington, where he had reserved a hotel room, according to an affidavit filed in federal court in Manhattan”. Spitzer then allegedly used the alias “George Fox” to meet the prostitute at the Mayflower Hotel in Washington D.C, according to law enforcement officials. Unlike other famous alias, (Ron Mexico, for example) George Fox is a real person whom Spitzer may have “ID thefted” for the purpose of frequenting prostitutes.

Mr. Fox is a friend and donor to Mr. Spitzer. Asked in a telephone interview Monday whether he accompanied Mr. Spitzer to Washington on Feb. 13 and Feb. 14, Mr. Fox responded: “Why would you think that? I did not.”

Told that the Room 871 at the Renaissance Mayflower Hotel was registered in Mr. Fox’s name but with Mr. Spitzer’s Fifth Avenue address, Mr. Fox said, “That is the first I have heard of it. Until I speak to the governor further, I have no comment.”

It’s the Consumerist’s position that whores are not an appropriate hobby for former attorneys general (or governors.)

Spitzer Is Linked to Prostitution Ring [NYT]
(Photo:Patrick Andrade for The New York Times)

Comments

1. BuddyGuyMontag says:

I’ve been literally laughing like Muttley since the news broke.

2. billbillbillbill says:

Busted

3. Mollyg says:

I recommend the time honored Consumerist solution: he should file a chargeback.

4. Tank says:

oops

5. memphis9 says:

Um. How is this relevant to consumer issues? Was he baited and switched? Did the call girl steal his identity to buy real estate?

(Disclaimer: I read specialized news blogs in part because there’s less slogging through filler. I don’t give a crap what Brittney is up to this week.)

6. magic8ball says:

Dang. I kind of liked him when he was suing people who annoyed me, like spammers, and people who sell my personal information without my consent. *sigh*

7. starrion says:

Interesting. I’m not sure how this relates to comsumer affairs, unless we are taking the “shoppers bite back” in an entirely new light.

I feel bad for the Spritzer family. He was an amazing fighter for consumers and shareholders. If he departs from public life it will be a loss. I think he may have damaged his credibility too much to stay Governor of a major state though.

8. Meg Marco says:

@memphis9: @starrion: Spitzer is a former attorney general of the state of NY. Attorneys general are very heavily involved in consumer affairs.

9. @memphis9: Well he is a consumer here: a consumer of ass. He paid for it so it is therefore a consumer issue.

10. Ben Popken says:

11. eightfifteen says:

You say “Likes Whores” as if it’s a bad thing.

12. Galls says:

Transporting a sex slave across state lines…

13. CityGuySailing says:

“chargeback” lmao… that cracks me up…

14. Spitzer? Damn near killed ‘er.

15. QueenHawkeye says:

maybe he’ll turn out to be gay.

16. jmschn says:

Too bad i can’t afford the 9 diamonds…

17. thirdbase says:

Hmmmm his wife has a beautiful pearl necklace on in the photo.

18. jmschn says:

@thirdbase: LoL!

19. lightaugust says:

Shouldn’t a populist, corporate crusading governor be going with a cheaper firm on principal alone?

20. “I have acted in a way that violates my obligation to my family and violates my or any sense of right or wrong,”

I can’t help notice that he leaves out of the list of things he violated the laws of the State of New York [and possibly D.C.] Considering his duty to uphold them, especially when he was AG, I think they’re worth mentioning.

21. bravo369 says:

why is it so hard for politicians to keep their noses clean? this is what’s annoying me about politics for the last decade. It’s never about who you like more but who’s less of a criminal or who you dislike least.

22. CAPTION CONTEST!!!

Mecca lecca hi mecca heiney ho

23. mikelotus says:

tragedy, another reason why the oldest profession should not be illegal.

24. MercuryPDX says:

@bravo369: Because they are human just like us, and prone to all the mistakes and temptations that we are.

25. DrGirlfriend says:

@memphis9: What they forgot to mention is that the prostitute wouldn’t let him out of the hotel room until he showed his receipt.

26. vatica40 says:

He should’ve just used Craigslist.

27. RvLeshrac says:

@bravo369:

More importantly, why is prostitution illegal in the first place?

Nevada seems to have no issue with it. Funny how Vegas and Reno don’t show up much worse than other major cities on the crime scales.

—-

Others to come (and Meg):

This is bad because he committed a crime, not because he was frequenting prostitutes.

Before you pull the “exploitation” card, keep in mind that the girls are only “exploited” when prostitution is illegal. It is amazing what legalization does for their willingness to go to the police when they really are exploited or abused.

28. RvLeshrac says:

@MercuryPDX:

That said, they’re expected to live up to a higher standard because they govern us. Look at Congress: If prostitution, pedophilia, rampant drug abuse, and homosexuality are good enough for them, why do they continue to pass laws making them more illegal?

Now, I’m not all for the pedophiles and drug addicts, but the question is perfectly valid.

29. mgy says:

Look at his wife. olololol

30. CharlieSeattle says:

@Meg Marco: So? AG’s also do other things. This still isn’t a consumer related story.

31. Crazytree says:

two consenting adults, WGAS.

the only issue is the he personally prosecuted prostitute rings and put people in jail. just doing his job, I guess.

and yea… I’m sure those girls who were making more in one evening than most Americans make in a month were feeling REAL exploited.

32. rbb says:

Strange , when I search on this page for “(D)” or “Democrat”, I get nothing…

33. jmschn says:

@discounteggroll: um yea, you don’t win the contest.

34. jmschn says:

he was an inside man and he got caught by accident…time for Bush to pardon him along with Roger Clemens at the midnight hour.

35. @CharlieSeattle: Spitzer’s kind of a “hero” in the conumer-rights movement. His loss of stature could affect his ability to fight for us.

36. DrGirlfriend says:

It’s bad enough that as an elected official he engaged in illegal activity (regardless of where you think it shoudl or should not be illegal, the fact it is that it’s currently a crime). But it takes serious balls to seek out these offenders and then engage in the same illegal activities you are trying to root out.

37. MercuryPDX says:

@RvLeshrac: True, although today you would still be hard pressed to find any politician who doesn’t have a skeleton or two hidden in their closet.

38. MercuryPDX says:

@DrGirlfriend: I think that’s where all the schadenfreude is coming from.

39. rjhiggins says:

@RvLeshrac: Uh, prostitution is very illegal in Las Vegas and Reno (and their surrounding areas). It is legal in some counties in Nevada.

40. VA_White says:

Sack of shit sorry excuse for a husband he is. If I was his wife, the LAST place I’d be is standing demurely next to him wearing a librarian jacket and a fucking pearl necklace. I’d be on the phone calling a lawyer.

41. rjhiggins says:

It’s nice to see a consumer story about someone who was (apparently) *very* satisfied with the service he received.

42. Pro-Pain says:

So he screwed a whore. Ain’t the first male to do that. As long as it isn’t another male I really don’t have an issue.

43. frankadelic says:

The “Fucking Steamroller” will cost you $20 extra!

44. @Pro-Pain: As long as it isn’t another male I really don’t have an issue.

How would that be worse? He’d still be breaking he same laws and cheating on his wife.

45. mattbrown says:

I love this guy! He was awesome, and apparently is continuing his reign of awesomeness!

This makes me laugh every single time I see it.

46. rjhiggins says:

@frankadelic: And homophobia rears its ugly head in Consumerist comments.

47. cmdr.sass says:

@rbb: That was the first thing I checked as well. Funny how that works.

48. bigtimestuff says:

I’m not sure why this matters. He broke the law, sure, but I don’t honestly care whether my governor is boning prostitutes or not, as long as he’s not using my tax money (aside from what he receives as a salary–but you know what? That’s his business). I’m sure there are many who think he should resign over this, but those people need to get into Lost or something else more enthralling and time-consuming.

This is between Spitzer and his wife, who unfortunately looks like she’s been crying for awhile. Poor lady.

49. firesign says:

@Pro-Pain: so it’s ok that he’s the governor and violated the law as long as it wasn’t with a man? homophobic AND idiotic.

50. erica.blog says:

Uh, whores aren’t really a good hobby for ANYBODY, let alone public officials :)

I’d be really pissed if I was George Fox right now. Or Mrs. Spitzer. Or a resident of New York. As it is, I’m only thoroughly disgusted.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out (i.e. will he resign).

51. Instigator says:

Spitzer will now explain the difference between the love of a pimp and the love of a square man.

52. ClayS says:

@erica.blog:
    I’m guessing he will resign as part of a deal with the prosecutor.

53. missdona says:

@VA_White: Seriously. I don’t get the women that do that at all. McGreevey’s wife did the same thing, but then she filed for divorce.

He came after my industry (Wall Street finance) with a pitchfork, and I could tolerate it as long as he, too, is living by the rules. To me, this is intolerable and I hope he resigns.

54. bohemian says:

Ok, your the only place today I have seen mention that he was busting prostitution rings when he was the AG. That is hypocritical.

He hired a prostitute, the issue is with his wife, not the public.

He broke various laws, well that is an issue but only as much as another crime of that level is. Honestly I think it is stupid that prostitution is illegal. I would rather see it highly regulated as both public health and workers rights issues.

Really the only issues I see is he broke a law, how big of a deal that is depends on NY laws. Hiring prostitutes when he was fighting that very business previously, he has egg on his face.

55. missdona says:

Reuters says that he could have violated the (aptly named) Mann Act “which prohibits the interstate transport of any woman for the purposes of ‘debauchery.”

[www.reuters.com]

56. Thorny says:

It never ceases to amaze me that people under public scrutiny think they can get away with this any better than Joe Schmo who rarely gets away with it himself.

I honestly am starting to think the best arrangement for marriage aside from a straight woman and a moral straight man, is a straight woman and two monogamous gay guys. The guys can have all the sex the woman doesn’t want to have, plus they can still lift things around the house when necessary.

57. JiminyChristmas says:

Last year Sen. David Vitter (R-LA) confessed to visiting prostitutes, and his name and phone number were found in the ‘little black book’ of the so-called DC Madam. Yet he still sits in the Senate, and shows no intention whatsoever of resigning. Is there any difference between Spitzer and Vitter? Keep that question in mind when listening to Republicans screaming for Spitzer to resign.

Another interesting observation: The DC Madam investigation went on for three years and Vitter’s name never leaked out of the Department of Justice. He didn’t fess up until Larry Flynt threatened to out him in Hustler magazine. Now, with the Emperors Club VIP, Spitzer’s name leaks within a week of the initial arrest. I’m sure some ‘loyal Bushies’ are dancing with glee in the DoJ right now.

58. deserthiker says:

What an idiot. Shouldn’t everyone in politics know by now that you will get caught. Someone obviously leaked to the right person that the honorable Governor had a penchant for very expensive company. Hence, the “investigation”. I wouldn’t be surprised if his little girlfriend was in on it for quite sometime.

Unless, he could find a way to connect the banking crisis and some vast right wing conspiracy and……Never mind. No one would believe it.

59. spinachdip says:

@JiminyChristmas: I think Spitzer’s in deeper shit because he ordered his service from New York (see @missdona: ). I’m thinking his name wouldn’t have gone public, and the authorities would pursue him if he had gotten a local hooker. Guess he really does *heart* NY.

60. DrGirlfriend says:

@VA_White: Agreed. It kills me that not only does she have to go through all of this, but she also has to stand in front of the cameras along with him. She’s under enough stress, why make her stand up there too?

61. vividblurry says:

Why is this on Consumerist?

62. thirdbase says:

@VA_white: seems to me if she would have laid down more she would not have to stand up there

63. cinlouwho says:

My first reaction: I was dumbfounded. My next reaction: why did he pay for it? Bill Clinton got it for free? This whole thing is just ridiculous. Why can’t people just be faithful to their spouses or partners? I am from NY State and it is a consumerist issue because Spizter, as an AG, was involved in many consumer issues. Such a sad thing for him to do to his wife and kids. His political career is over.

64. lightaugust says:

As much as I hate to see this whole thing go down, I think Spitzer held himself to a higher standard, and any time the guy who vows to clean up the house dirties it up, he’s going down no matter how seemingly small the crime is. Plenty of politicians would have skated right through this one (i.e. the Congressman from Louisiana who did the same damn thing). Sorry, as a fairly staunch Democrat who was disappointed Spitzer wasn’t running for president a year ago, I think I gotta call a duck a duck here and say I’m really disappointed. Plus, sorry again, but after Clinton, any high profile Democratic politician who doesn’t know enough to keep their damn pants on, I’m not sure what I can do to help you.

And this does belong on Consumerist, he was one of the most successful advocates for the causes many of us probably support. Don’t get me wrong, ‘Emperors Club’ is going to be a great punchline for years to come, but that’s why this really does kind of suck.

65. humphrmi says:

@vividblurry: Your question has already been answered by @Meg Marco, @Ben Popken, and @BayStateDarren.

66. ClayS says:

@deserthiker:
    “I doubt anyone goes to jail on this but the Governor is done. If he were a Republican he could just go on but since he’s not he’ll have to quit.”

You’re an idiot. Like Clinton had to quit?

No one should go to jail for this, and I hope he doesn’t. We have way too many people in prison as is. Yes, he probably should resign, because he demonstrated such poor judgement.

67. ecwis says:

@VA_White: Maybe she actually loves her husband. I know it’s a crazy thought but it’s possible.

68. rjhiggins says:

@ClayS: Not a remotely apt comparison. President Clinton didn’t hire a prostitute; that woman, Ms. Lewinski, gladly did it for free. Nor was he crusading against prostitution rings while patronizing them at the same time, as Gov. Spitzer apparently was.

All Clinton did was tell a lie — about his private sex life. If we force everyone who lies about their sex lives to resign…

69. Sonnymooks says:

He paid over $5,000 for ass.

Damn, If I find ass thats worth 5 G’s a night, I’m marrying it.

That said, from what I read, it looks like he also didn’t like using condoms.

70. deserthiker says:

@rjhiggins:

Couldn’t have said it better myself. Hypocrisy is the Governor’s greatest sin and that’s far worse in the electorate’s eye than going to a hooker, lying about an infidelity or just plain being an idiot, like ClayS.

71. ClayS says:

@rjhiggins:
    I think the bigger crime in both cases was the damage done to their marriages, and to the public trust. And Spitzer really wasn’t focused on prosecuting prostitution. He was very much a crusader for the consumer, going after insurance companies, wall street, etc. I took umbrage with the implication that if he were a Republican he would get away with it. And some other fool made a crack about Democrats afterwards.

72. ClayS says:

@Sonnymooks:
    “Damn, If I find ass thats worth 5 G’s a night, I’m marrying it.”

That makes a lot of sense from a consumer finance perspective. You are very wise.

73. spinachdip says:

@ClayS: If you rtfa,

Though his signature issue was pursuing Wall Street misdeeds, as attorney general Mr. Spitzer also had prosecuted at least two prostitution rings as head of the state’s organized crime task force.

In one such case in 2004, Mr. Spitzer spoke with revulsion and anger after announcing the arrest of 16 people for operating a high-end prostitution ring out of Staten Island.

“This was a sophisticated and lucrative operation with a multitiered management structure,” Mr. Spitzer said at the time. “It was, however, nothing more than a prostitution ring.”

74. LionelEHutz says:

…and how exactly this is a consumerist topic? Was he getting his winky wacked while prosecuting the record companies for overcharging on CD’s or something?

75. weave says:

I’m taking this story very seriously.

76. LionelEHutz says:

@JiminyChristmas: You hit the nail on the head. Spitzer should simply say that he’ll resign when Vitter and Larry Craig resign. That might shut the republicans up.

77. chilled says:

Damn, I bet he’s catchin hell at home!

As a true Consumerist,I was always too cheap to hire a whore..besides,there were too many giving it away for that!

78. Rode2008 says:

I think Spitzer’s actions are no different from Bill Clinton’s actions (a la Paula Jones, Lewinsky, etc., etc., etc.)

I think Spiter should step down – just like I thought Bubba should have, too.

What is more detestable? (1) Spitzer paying for it but at least doing it in a hotel room? or (2) Bubba doing it on a desk in the White House.

Spitzer broke the law re: prostitution – Clinton broke many, more laws (perjery, obstruction of justice, witness-tampering, etc.)

IMO both should step down.

79. @ClayS: And Spitzer really wasn’t focused on prosecuting prostitution.
    It still fell under his responsibilties. The official bio for the incumbent AG, Andrew Cuomo, specifically says, “As Attorney General, Cuomo is the highest ranking law enforcement officer for the State.” As such, he was responsible for enforcing every law of his state, civil and criminal, big and small.

80. ClayS says:

@spinachdip:
    I know he prosecuted some prostitution cases, so no doubt there is hypocrisy on his part. But he is best known for being very aggressive on consumer issues.

81. Rode2008 says:

Forgive the typos – my keyboard is a bit out of whack.

82. LionelEHutz says:

@missdona: In 1910 (when the Mann Act was apparently enacted) weren’t dancing, having fun, and not going to church on Sunday considered debauchery?

83. LionelEHutz says:

@Rode2008: How about Senators Vitter & Larry Craig? Do you think they should step down too?

84. ClayS says:

True, he broke the law. How many prosecution patrons go to prison? Do you think he should? I don’t. He damaged his marriage, his children and destroyed a promising political career. He punished himself.

85. ianmac47 says:

So did Spitzer have a problem with the customer service? Did he need an executive level carpet bomb to get things made right?

86. spinachdip says:

@ClayS: I don’t disagree, but my point was that he didn’t just persecute prostitution rings, but used them as a political stepping stone.

For what it’s worth, this doesn’t sully his image as a consumerist crusader – it’s not like he got caught with a suitcase full of cash from Sony BMG. This just made him weaker after already going through the Bruno scandal.

87. missdona says:

@LionelEHutz: Yep, but now it’s basically human trafficking (sp?).

88. spinachdip says:

@ClayS: As I mentioned earlier, if this was just a straightforward prostitution case, his name would have probably stayed sealed unless someone in the investigation leaked his name. When they’re busting rings, they don’t usually go after the Johns. His mistake was having the hooker cross state lines.

89. Copper says:

@missdona: Some women can’t/won’t tolerate cheating. Some can. Usually, wives of politicians are ones who can/will. I’m one who would tolerate one act of indiscretion, but not multiple. And probably not when it was with a prostitute.

All in all, I don’t really care what he does in his off-time, even if it is illegal. I don’t care if it’s immoral or dirty. Prosecutors will deal with that. As long as it doesn’t interfere with his job of being a hypocrite apparently, go for it.

90. EtherealStrife says:

@missdona: I believe the point was that the law is ridiculous. This was a decade before Prohibition. They weren’t exactly sane back then.

91. jarchie219 says:

I can’t determine the victim to attack here. Maybe it is the state of New York.

92. the_wiggle says:

@bigtimestuff: precisely & well said.

93. JiminyChristmas says:

@Rode2008:

Clinton broke many, more laws (perjery [sic], obstruction of justice, witness-tampering, etc.)

This is just your opinion, right? Three different special prosecutors spent seven years and $60MM investigating Bill Clinton and none of them were able to establish that he committed any crime of any sort.

94. Superborty says:

Elliot Spitzer is not the perfect person he pretended to be??? What a shocker. Who could have guessed he was full of sh-t? Wait, anyone with a brain who kept up with news. Anyone who thinks this is his first scandal needs to pay better attention. He is a complete dirtbag POS.

95. Falconfire says:

Just goes to prove, whores like drugs should be legal! Really it makes a lot of sense, just make some rules that make it so that public funds cant go to treating any diseases or addictions said idiots have and let the country at it!

Would be savings billions.

96. Ariel.Sanders says:

jeebus that’s so hilarious@Sonnymooks:

97. Ugh, how embarrassing for my state. Pathetic.

98. Buran says:

@memphis9: Because he’s supposed to be protecting consumers and being a hypocrite.

99. nonzenze says:

“Spitzer made a name for himself fighting corruption and fighting for consumer rights. Now he himself is show as being corrupt. It’s a blow for consumer rights.”

How exactly is what he did corrupt now? Did he spend public funds? Did he do it while on the job? Unless I’m mistaken, he paid for whores with his own money and fucked them on his own time – seems simple enough to me.

100. nonzenze says:

I feel much better about high-class prostitution now the Spitz has, er, inspected the business. My confidence as a consumer has only increased.

Now, how exactly is this hypocritical?

101. dweebster says:

Another nail in the coffin of the morality laws. Spend lots of time and money to make everyone a criminal based on consensual behavior. How’s that working out for you, Elliot?

102. Paul says:

Those people concerned with whether or not prostitution should be legal should take note: the Mann Act provisions he violated are abotu human trafficking, and yeah I think that’s a problem even if I do agree you ought to be able to rent out your vagina. Well, hell, mortgage is more like it, since he was paying like $5500 an hour.

103. sncreducer says:

@Meg Marco: That has to be the dumbest line of reasoning for a salacious post here I’ve ever seen. But then, you tipped your hand when you went all junior-high on us by throwing “whores” in the headline. Be ashamed, be very ashamed.

104. missdona says:

@Paul: And money laundering is the latest allegation.

[news.google.com]

And Meg, IMO, I have no problem of the whore-ness of it all. Call a spade a spade.

105. SexCpotatoes says:

Stick it to the voters, and get off.

Stick it to the corporations, and go down.

106. kable2 says:

Well it could be worse for his wife, at least it wasnt with a guy LOL

107. kc2idf says:

Had he not been so vigorously prosecuting prostitution rings as AG, I probably would not have a problem with this situation; it would be reduced to a purely personal/family problem.

Unfortunately, because he did engage in such prostitution prosecution, this makes him a hypocrite.

108. IrisMR says:

I’m not against prostitution and I think that what he did was no big deal…

…Well, at least it would be no big deal if it didn’t make him a bloody hypocrite.

109. Solly says:

@kc2idf:
    And you don’t care that he was breaking the law??

110. zibby says:

This is why I don’t fly.

111. startertan says:

I think George Carlin said it best when he said “Sellng is legal, fucking is legal, why isn’t selling fucking legal?”

112. stanfrombrooklyn says:

It’s obviously his wife’s fault. Women need to understand that for most men, sex is as necessary as breathing, eating, and drinking. And not just the four pump and dump. She probably hasn’t blown him in 15 years and a man can only take it for so long. Same problem with the Clintons. So ladies keep my advice in mind if you want to keep your man from straying.

113. Jon Mason says:

@startertan: Masturbation is legal. Riding the subway is legal. Why isn’t masturbation on the subway legal?

114. Jon Mason says:

@kc2idf: Completely agree. Like the Larry Craig case – I dont care if your private life includes men, women or any combination, but the minute you take a public stand against others for doing the things you yourself enjoy in private you put yourself in an untenable position.

115. IrisMR says:

@masonreloaded: There’s a difference between paying for having sex between two willing adults in a private place and jacking off in the middle of a subway where everyone sees you.

116. Jon Mason says:

@IrisMR: Well obviously… that was the joke. I was just making the point that just because 2 things are legal, combining them should not necessarily be legal.

117. missdona says:

@stanfrombrooklyn: With that logic, it’s rape victims fault if they wear provocative clothing.

He is the sole one to blame here. He made the conscious choice to break the law.

118. whydidnt says:

I see no reason for prostitution to be illegal. However, I have HUGE issues with our politicians using these services today, though. Prostitution is illegal, by participating, the politician is putting themselves in a spot where they can easily be compromised or worse, blackmailed. What if there were pictures, etc, that he didn’t want released to the public and in return agreed to a veto or budgetary expense in return for silence? This is why many of us get upset when our politicians participate in such activity. It’s not the activity itself, but the situation it could put the politician in.

It shows an awful error in judgment on Sptizer’s part. If he makes this type of error in his personal life, what confidence can you have that he won’t do the same when making policy decisions.

119. ppiddyp says:

I don’t have a strong enough opinion of prostitution one way or another to say he did anything morally outrageous, and it’s not my position to pass judgement on his marriage, but damn….if this isn’t the most predictable, boneheaded way to ruin your very promising political career, I don’t know what is.

120. RulesLawyer says:

@spinachdip:

His mistake was having the hooker cross state lines.

Buy locally. Support local businesses.

121. Angryagain says:

Why should prostitution be illegal or even a consumer issue? The girls who do it don’t mind doing it for the most part and like the money. If you want to stop sex trafficking just legalize prostitution and tax it like crazy. I’m sure NY state could make good use of that money. As for Mr. Spitzer, this incident clearly indicates where his brain is – D’oh!

122. Okay, suck, but typical suck…the one thing that always gets me in cases like this is why on earth the wives are almost always standing there looking brave at the podium. Like being humiliated isn’t bad enough, but they expect you go go be publicly humiliated? Is the power-by-proxy of being married to a public figure really worth all that?

Don’t get me wrong, I’d go stand at the podium. But my husband would really regret letting me do it! Hell, I think a nice fat check would be in order, to keep me from talking.

123. reznicek111 says:

@Thorny: That must be why I see so many mallard duck “threesomes” consisting of a female and two males in tow. ;)

124. Wimpkins says:

Wow, I just stayed in this hotel…alone.

Shame, I left my extra 4 grand at home.

125. Rode2008 says:

Lionel – to your question re: the other Senators and whether they, too, should step down….

Yes – just as soon as Bubba loses his license to practice law for his crimes. Ooops – I forgot. He was disbarred.

Well then, just as soon as Bubba pays the price that any other citizen would pay for perjury and obstruction of justice.

The crime was not Bubba’s “playing around” – his perjury and witness-tampering actions are what should put that guy away.

I take no total comfort in the fact that he has gone down in history as an impeached President. His cronies in the Senate stifled that true punishment that he deserves.

126. rjhiggins says:

@missdona: Regarding the wives who dutifully stand up on the podium next to their slimeball husbands: McGreevy’s wife was interviewed this morning, and she said she was up there strictly for their children, to put on a strong showing that the family was still strong and intact.

Interesting angle I hadn’t thought about before, and perhaps Spitzer’s wife (an accomplished woman in her own right and certainly no doormat) was doing the same for their daughters. Must take enormous strength.

127. missdona says:

@Wimpkins: An exec. concierge told me once that every hotel has hookers. There are no hotels that don’t have hookers.

@rjhiggins: I saw her on the Today Show. She had the good sense to dump him eventually, though. I would probably take my kids and head for the summer home, or my parents house or something.

128. Mr. Gunn says:

Embezzle, bribe, and receive kickbacks and you’re OK, but dare to get a little on the side and you’ll be strung up.

See, bribery and corruption(oh! and torture) is a white-collar, republican-voting, SUV-driving kind of crime. Prostitution is a low-class crime. That’s why it’s so bad.

129. Mr. Gunn says:

In other news, his wife’s a total MILF.

130. Neon.Wonder says:

Why oh why do the women always stay by their cheating husbands side when they address the public? To prove he is a good man and she is a good wife? Fuck that. It shouldn’t be expected of the wife to stand there in shame.

131. Neon.Wonder says:

ps. no wonder men keep cheating… their ladies keep letting them get away with it.

132. ecwis says:

@Neon.Wonder: Uh yeah, I’m sure that’s the cause.