I tried out Jott this weekend and it’s pretty sweet. It’s a free service that lets you call a number, record a message, and then underpaid workers in India and Africa transcribe your message and email it to you, or to others. [Jott]

Comments

1. homerjay says:

I didn’t look too hot and heavy into it but how is this easier than just sending yourself or others a text message?

2. kingofmars says:

So, how was the service? Good, bad, or eh?

3. Ben Popken says:

@homerjay: Texting while driving is usually a bad idea.

4. Ben Popken says:

@kingofmars: It’s good. No hangups as far as I can tell.

5. timmus says:

Underpaid by Indian/African standards?

6. Darren W. says:

I’ve got Jott going to my gmail box, and a filter set to Star all messages from the Jot Bot, and archive them. My Starred messages are my To-Do list, and the Jott service is a huge help.

7. So that’s why my tech support people have been saying ROFL.

8. apotheosis says:

So…for instance, I can set up a Jott and forward telemarking call transcriptions to the FTC’s Do Not Call registry helpdesk?

9. FunPaul says:

Could I conference them in on my meetings and have them send a transcription? That would be awesome.

10. mac-phisto says:

@Ben Popken: neither is talking on your cell phone.

11. mac-phisto says:

@mac-phisto: scratch that “neither” & replace it with a “so”. sorry, lost an hour of sleep this weekend.

12. readmuch says:

Underpaid workers, actually no. Try voice recognition software, it can link directly to your google calender (create/update appointments). The kick is you have a 30 sec. record time.

13. BillyMumphry says:

No one is underpaid. If the wage isn’t worth your time you would do something else. Hooray for econ 101.

14. DCGaymer says:

@funpal I think Jott is limited to 30 second messages.

I’ve been using it linked with [iwantsandy.com] for a while now….it’s a HUGE time saver.

15. Cupajo says:

I have Jott set up as for 1-touch dialing on my cellphone. Grab phone, hold down ‘2’, record message, Jott sends email. Very handy.

16. Jason says:

I’ve got JOTT working with Remember The Milk. I love it. And… they finally have numbers you can use in all major Canadian cities, since JOTT doesn’t work with 800 numbers up here in the Great White North.

17. Mr_Human says:

@BillyMumphry: Wishful thinking. If there are more worker than jobs (resulting in no choice), workers are paid less than they would otherwise, and thus possibly believe that they were underpaid. It’s subjective, of course. But I think we try to believe that everyone has a choice, whereas in most parts of the world they don’t.

18. tmlfan81 says:

Jott is a fantastic service. I use the reminder feature quite a bit. Reminders usually come in a few minutes before the quoted 15 minutes ahead of the actual appointment, which is more than fine. The only problem that I run into is that I have a very nasally sounding voice. At times I can be difficult to understand, as was discovered when I would get Jotts transcribed back to me that didn’t make a lick of sense.

Never fear, though. You can go into the Jott site and edit your transcribed Jotts so they actually make sense. I find that talking directly into your cell rather than using a bluetooth-enabled headset is the preferred Jott method. I’ve had better success with a wired headset, but who would want to when you can look like a tool with rubber and plastic hanging out of your ear?

19. easy2panic says:

@BillyMumphry: True, but that only applies if they can aford to choose. In a third world country, jobs may be hard to come by and people have to take what they can get, regardless of how well it pays because it’s better than nothing otherwise.

20. Paul D says:

Mmmm. A ringing endorsement indeed.

Pass.

21. Paul D says:

@BillyMumphry: Must be nice on your planet.

22. jgodsey says:

i like it a lot.
    it lets me make notes while i drive
    i call my number leave myself a message and the email is waiting for me when i get to the pc.

23. homerjay says:

@BillyMumphry: Such the cockeyed optimist. Your unbridled enthusiasm will lead to your downfall one day.

24. krom says:

Might as well just use LiveJournal’s phone post service and rely on bored highschoolers to transcribe it for you.

25. mac-phisto says:

@krom: yeah, but then my shopping list will either be:

1) so, like, you soooo need to go to the supermarket & like totally buy some milk, cause like, it’s good for you.

or

2) supermarket. milk. & razorblades. don’t forget the blades. life is pain.

26. Jamie Beckland says:

Hoo boy, if you aren’t convinced that jott is awesome, it’s because you haven’t tried it!

I use jott with iwantsandy, and also with my own email.

Here are some of the things that I use it for:

-To Do list

-Tracking mileage for business use of vehicle

-Reminding myself about books to read and movies to see, instead of tearing millions of pages out of magazines

-Keep track of cash/nonreceipt purchases to enter into Quicken later

-Random note taker (one less device than a voice recorder!)

Jott is the bomb. Do people still call things “the bomb”?

27. mamacat49 says:

I, too, Jott myself frequently— mostly from the car. My kids think it’s funny but at 53, it’s the easiest way to remember things. If I could do it just going upstairs for something, I would (but I will not succumb to that!).

28. SexCpotatoes says:

/me is waiting for the inevitable “Used Jott to break up with girlfriend/wife” personal blog post somewhere.

29. tmlfan81 says:

@WillScarlett:

My wife’s family calls things the “bomb shelter”. Why they added shelter I have no idea. So everyday use, something would be considered the bomb shelter if it was really neat. The bomb “diggity” shelter if it was truly grand.

I don’t know why I felt the need to share this. I’ll go away now.

30. jennieblue22 says:

India? Dude, India’s not like that – we actually have rights. You’re thinking of China.

But yeah, Jott is pretty good.