This Giant Steel Clamp Makes An Excellent Frozen Entree

Aldi is recalling three flavors of its Fit and Active frozen dinners after an Omaha family found a steel clamp sealed in a sesame chicken frozen entree.

“If’ it’s from a machine. If it’s a practical joke. Well, it’s not really funny just because if there’s small pieces,” explained mom Karen Kader

Kader purchased the sesame chicken frozen entree two weeks prior at a local Aldi store.

“I was trying to explain to [my daughter Ashley] that this is more meatier and stick to your bones more than this it’s heavier. Little did we know why,” said Kader

Bellisio Foods, which manufactured the frozen dinner, has launched an investigation to determine how the clamp snuck by their scales and metal detectors.

As for Ashley, she seemed more fazed that the preparation instructions didn’t include a contingency for metal clamps:

Steel Clamp Found In Frozen Dinner Leads To Recall [WOWT]

Comments

1. tamushrek says:

I would understand if it were small pieces, but a LARGE clamp like that? Ridiculous really

2. avantartist says:

that’s a way better toy than cereal or crackerjacks ever came with.

3. homerjay says:

Its fortified with iron!

4. Trickery says:

5. Techno Viking says:

One question. Why would she go to Aldi? For same price, she could have bought at an organic store same thing. Maybe it would be a bit more expensive, say 5 bucks, but at least it would be better for her and safer?

6. APFPilot says:

@Techno Viking: not always, remember the dancing deer story?

7. andrewe says:

@Trickery: Learn to cook with your children and teach them to cook for themselves instead of giving them frozen meals! That way crap like this doesn’t happen!

Yes. That way you can feed them fresh vegetables chock full of e-coli.

8. BuddyGuyMontag says:

@Techno Viking: Aldi is for people on a budget. And some people actually like Aldi’s quality (?) on certain products more than others. I always enjoyed Aldi’s yogurt it was significantly cheaper than other stores.

9. ptkdude says:

The clamp is a feature! It is provided for you to remove the meal from the microwave without burning your fingers.

10. @BuddyGuyMontag: Trader Joes is cheaper than Jewel and Dominics on most things here in the Chicago area. Unfortunately they are not a Union shop, but from discussions I’ve had before on Consumerist, I don’t think most of you people care. Anyhow… TJs is going to be comparable in cost to Aldi on most things and offer much higher quality, especially regarding frozen foods/ready to eat meals.

Just like any store, you do have to watch out, certain things can be way out of cost proportion.

11. laserjobs says:

@Techno Viking: Because you get a free clamp with the purchase of an entre. DUH!!!

12. johnarlington says:

TJs is not a union shop because they pay there employees well, have with a good benefits package, and an excellent work environment. There is no pressure to unionize when you treat your employees right.

13. jeffjohnvol says:

That part would probably cost about $18 at the hardware store. I’d demand it back.

14. Techno Viking says:

Alright people, I understand that. However, for almost same price you could buy better products just not a lot as many Americans do. I am from Europe, and a business student and yea even for me its hard with the money. But I’d rather buy something of a higher quality just something smaller without a clamp. America, has many choices, but many people are blind and don’t see those choices. Traders Joe’s is better than Aldi. I am not against Aldi, just want to tell you that you should eat better food. What matters is size and quality. Les you eat, better for you. Besides, that food package was loaded with corn, which all Americans have, or rather made of these days. Not bashing corn either, its good if its a great home cooked meal. But as you know anywhere u go, any food has corn oils which is bad for you in many ways.

15. Techno Viking says:

@laserjobs:

very funny and unfortunately true. We should start to worry about the food supply from now on. Inspect any food that you buy. Whats next besides some pills that mom and her daughter found? Uh, more pills, or dare I say condoms? You be the judge. Very scary.

16. Photogdc says:

Trader Joe’s is owned by the same German family trust as Aldi.

17. DrGirlfriend says:

@Techno Viking: There’s no Trader Joe’s in Omaha, according to my cursory search thru Google.

I get what you are saying, that people shoudl eat fresh foods, etc. And I agree with you in general. But this article has nothing to do with that. So the derail into “you Americans eat like crap” territory isn’t really on point.

18. uberbucket says:

Aw man! That clamp is the last piece I need in the “Build Your Own Entree Making Machine” promotion.

19. milw123 says:

Hey! I recognize that! It’s a clamp for connecting rigid Stainless pipe. Now, if the clamp failed and the junction came apart, the container would be full of whatever was flowing through the pipes at the time (along with the floor, the machine, and whoever happened to be standing close by). It looks too perfect for that to have happened. Obviously, it landed in the container just before it was overwrapped. A metal detector should have easily caught that.

20. sxs3200 says:

I can see this as a serious issue, mainly because the demographic who shop at Aldi’s might not be intelligent enough to properly deal with unexpected items in their food. This is demonstrated by the comment: “…and I can’t microwave this with metal in it.”

…So if your only concern is how to microwave the dinner with the metal in it, remove the metal.

21. ChuckECheese says:

@Techno Viking: Why don’t people recognize “organic” food for the big scam that it is? If I can’t afford to eat organic, there’s no benefit in it. Your typical Whole Foods is as full of processed junk, candy, and booze as a 7-11.

22. SaraAB87 says:

Um, wouldn’t you notice the significant difference in the weight of the box vs another box of the same thing when you picked it up..

23. fluiddruid says:

@Techno Viking: Trader Joe’s isn’t in all areas. The closest Trader Joe’s is 300 miles away from where I live, but Aldi is right here.

Regardless of Aldi being a budget store, of course, basic quality control should happen – how could anyone miss something like this?

24. ChuckECheese says:

@sxs3200: Maybe she’ll find a cake mix with a crowbar in it to pry out that clamp.

25. Pink Puppet says:

@sxs3200: Way to be an elitist jerk. Poor != stupid, even if a young girl might have a rather silly reaction to such an unexpected thing.

26. ChuckECheese says:

@fluiddruid: Aldi the corporation does not make these entrees. They are made by anonymous food manufacturers. Just like your A & F doesn’t have a stable of 3/4 nude boys and girls in the back of your shopping mall ripping holes in the jeans–they are made by clothing manufacturers in far-flung places.

Many of these manufacturers make food for many different retailers. I’ve seen the same stuff in different packages at TJ’s, Super Target, and Whole Foods. Despite Aldi’s claims of having exclusive products, depending on the distribution chain, it is possible that this chunk of metal coulda ended up at an Albertson’s, your local grocery, or maybe at Sam’s Club.

27. ChuckECheese says:

@SaraAB87: Watch the video. The lady did notice. She thought she was getting more chicken. She shoulda brought her metal-detector wand with her.

28. ShortBus says:

@AngrySicilian: You’d be hard pressed to find even a handful of Trader Joe’s employees that would want to unionize. The company treats its employees *very* well. The general mangers make well into the six-figures. Heck, even the second-in-command pulls in $80-90k/yr. Plus they get something like 4 weeks of vacation from the day they start as a fulltimer. Finally, read up on their retirement package on the Wikipedia article on TJ’s.

29. RIP MRHANDS says:

@ChuckECheese: Organic isn’t a scam. The problem is with people who think it means something that it doesn’t and the manufactures who exploit those people.

30. CumaeanSibyl says:

@Techno Viking: I didn’t ask for a clamp in my frozen dinner, and I didn’t ask for a big pile of judgmental crap with my Consumerist story either. Nobody cares about the enlightened European viewpoint.

31. AlphaTeam says:

Looks fun to eat.

32. chiieddy says:

@DrGirlfriend: It’s also extremely easy to make home-made tv dinners. I have about 6 servings of chicken soup in my freezer ready to go when I need a quick meal. They’re stored in Ziploc storage containers or Gladware. Same thing can be done with stews and numerous other items. It’s so much healthier to eat that way rather than rely on Lean Cuisines or Smartmeals.

33. chiieddy says:

@ChuckECheese: While I admit the whole organic foods shopping center is a bit overblown, Wholefoods is the only place I can get cheap, bulk red lentils (the quick cooking kind) in my local area. You can get a lot of lentils for $1 :)

34. k6richar says:

That hurt my brain.

It is worrying that this plants metal detectors where not working, i worked in a similar place and they tested the metal detectors twice a shift (approximately every 4 hours). Seems to me if they followed that practice they would have known if any food had not been checked for metal long before it left the factory.

35. Kajj says:

I am so unbearably sick of scrolling down past an article here to see a comments list full of “Well if the OP is going to shop THERE they deserve what they get.” and “How can the OP use [object mentioned in article]? I never do and I am vastly superior because of it. If the OP is going to be that stupid they deserve what they get.”

When is this going to stop?

36. mgy says:

“I was gonna give my sister some food, but I caaaan’ microwaaave it with metaaaaal in it!”

Astute observation!

37. Vipersfate says:

Want me to clamp em? Lemme clamp em!

38. michaelk42 says:

“If it’s a practical joke. Well, it’s not really funny just because if there’s small pieces,”

Because if it was just really big pieces she might pick them out and still give the meal a try? What?

39. ChuckECheese says:

@RIP MRHANDS: And what is it that organic means to these people? And how did they reach their false conclusions? You can’t logically separate out the way food is sold (marketing) from the way it’s purchased. I’ll let y’alls know I have a previous life as a whole-foods/vegetarian chef, classically and professionally trained, chinese five-element, macropsychotic, blah blah blah.

Organic and whole foods, although they cost more, used to cost a whole lot less when it was something only grungy hippies ate. And I could get loads of good home-grown food at my farmers’ market for cheap prices.

Then, it seems to me about 2003 or ’04, things started getting really greedy. WF raised their prices once, twice, and more. Kale was now $2 a bunch when it used to be 69 cents. Organic butter was $6/lb instead of $3.50. Potatoes cost over a buck a pound; apples were about $1.25 apiece.

The farmers’ market got the greed too. Whereas before the goods were home-grown, dirty, occasionally buggy and lugged home in paper bags, now everything was boutique, artisanal, heirloom and worse. The last time I went was when somebody was selling tomatoes for $6/lb and potatoes for $4.99/lb. I inquired why they had to sell their goods for more than a health-food store, when the HF store could pay its bills selling similar products for less money.

And I heard that ear-splitting argument that made me despise health-food marketing ever since: “You really can’t place a price on quality/your health/the health of the earth.”

Um, yes you can, and people do it all the time. We all constantly make decisions about our relative needs based on what we have to spend. Even more annoying is that a lot of this money isn’t going to the earth, quality, or the earth; it’s going to corporations. The minimum wage is $5.85, people. Who can afford this?

@chiieddy: I like red lentils too. If you have an Indian or Middle-Eastern market near you, they’ll have lotsa red lentils, and other interesting legumes for sale too. I make an every-two-months trip to my health food store to buy whole wheat pastry flour, good corn meal, buckwheat, and other crunchy things (they were out of buckwheat when I went last).

40. ChuckECheese says:

@mgy: Poor girl. I admit I laughed. But come on, she’s a pubescent mouth-breather. Would any of us have done any better at her age? And is what she said any less profound than the blather you hear on the news every night? Momma’s comment is pretty spaced out too. Apparently the clamp doesn’t fall far from the machine.

41. ChuckECheese says:

@Kajj: It’s going to stop when Jesus comes back. People falsely believe they are going to find salvation on their dinner plate. They are in the stuperous throes of yet another commodities bubble. I agree that food snobbery is out of hand, and so is victim-blaming. They still haven’t learned that everything modern corporations touch turns to scheisse. I think people are looking for magical means to protect themselves from what appears to be an increasingly angry, greedy, dirty and random world. Nobody deserves clamps in their chicken entree, even if they buy their food from Chix & Clamps.

42. @Kajj: When you stop reading the comments. I’ve stopped reading comments on most of the blogs I read because so few of them offer much and here they turn into stupid debates or OP blaming.

We can however, laugh at stupid things they say. *shakes head*

43. cjdmi says:

The thing looks like a vacuum hose clamp. Not sure how that helps, but there it is

44. ideagirl says:

@DrGirlfriend: Thank you. The whining about how other people should be living their lives according to some random internet posters gets old.

45. ideagirl says:

@Kajj: When they turn off the inner-tubes, I guess…it is way too sanctimonious for me. As far as I’m concerned, it just makes the posters look like fools who have no better way to spend their time than picking apart the lives of people they don’t know.

46. ideagirl says:

@chiieddy: Thanks for letting us all know that you are a much better person than the OP. That adds a lot to the discussion of the article.

47. Doctor Cathattan says:

“If it’s a practical joke. Well, it’s not really funny”

Well somewhere out there there’s a food-prep robot who probably does think it funny.

Kiss my shiny metal ass human!

48. ExecutorElassus says:

@k6richar: that’s all that hurt your brain? what about…

“I was trying to explain to [my daughter Ashley] that this is more meatier and stick to your bones more than this it’s heavier.”

I can’t watch the video (damn you Flash!); so I can’t tell if she actually talks like this, of if whoever transcribed it is illiterate.
    One wonders how many other large industrial fittings are missing from the plant. How do the machines still run without them?

49. Hoss says:

That’s quite an “investigation” by the news station but I dont see any evidence that there is any actual recall — they just seem to be saying the local store took this brand off the shelf.

50. Hoss says:

@ExecutorElassus: Click on the news link, the video their works. If she thinks her daughter is underweight – she aint

51. Mike626 says:

Is there something in Omaha’s water supply that makes its residents incapable of forming coherent sentences?

The mother’s statement that the meal in question is “more stick to your bones” or the daughters complaint that “It disturbed me that, for one, I wouldn’t haven’t eaten it anyway–but I was going to give my sister food and I can’t microwave this with metal in it.” makes both of them sound like they are on some sort of drug that disorients them both– making it impossible for them to deal with the perplexing problem of what to do about the metal clamp.

Hint: Don’t eat it.

52. MBZ321 says:

What difference does it make if she shopped at Aldi or not?

53. MBZ321 says:

Oops I hit enter before I finished….
    Anyway, I would not expect a big metal object in my food no matter if I bought it from

54. MBZ321 says:

Safeway or Aldi or even the Dollar Tree. Sure the food may not taste good at the price, but you don’t expect foreign objects in any kind of food.

55. ExecutorElassus says:

@Hossofcourse: alas, Adobe doesn’t make a version of Flash for me yet (amd64 + gentoo linux + firefox3), and I’m too lazy to try the ugly hacks that are floating around to get it working. No inline video for me.
    The news page did a better job of transcribing, but even they didn’t parse it well. It might make more sense like…

If it’s from a machine – if it’s a practical joke – well, it’s not really funny, just because, if there’s small pieces…

But it’s still an execrable run-on. I’m such a snob…
    Did that “more stick to your bones” bit come from the video?

56. forgottenpassword says:

LOL! Hilarious! That gigantic piece of machinery (easily visible)in a frozen dinner. I guess they dont have any quality control employees sitting beside the conveyor belt looking out for things like this, huh?

57. peggyhill says:

misteaks hapen.

58. sly100100 says:

I think a lot of people are missing the point, it doesn’t matter where she bought it it still shouldn’t have a HUGE clamp in the frozen meal to begin with.

You would think there would be some kind of QC that should have caught that. It’s not exactly hiding.

59. phairphair says:

Let’s clear up a few misconceptions:

That the food is less expensive at Aldi does not mean it’s poor quality. It’s less expensive because the company has far less operating overhead and works on lower margins. The manufacturers are the same that make the brands and other retailers’ store brands.

Trader Joe’s is not higher quality. It uses a low cost supply base to manufacture food that is unique to the market or difficult to find. There is nothing gourmet about what they sell.

The metal detectors and scales didn’t miss the clamp. The only possibility is that it was placed there intentionally, possibly by a disgruntled employee. This has nothing to do with Aldi.

National brands and retailers like Whole Foods have brainwashed Americans into believing higher price = higher quality. Stop falling for million dollar marketing and use your heads.

60. Hoss says:

@ExecutorElassus: The article is a transcript of the video. I think I’d talk like them if a news reporter was trying to get one liners from me over a frozen clamp. We dont hear what the stupid questions were, but a good guess would be:

So mom, why did you buy the chicken with clamp instead of say fish sticks with salmanella (camera rolling): “I was trying to explain to [my daughter Ashley] that this is more meatier and stick to your bones more than this it’s heavier. Little did we know why,”

And daughter, how did the clamp dinner make you feel (moves mike closer): “It disturbed me that, for one, I would never have eaten it anyway, but I was going to give my sister food and I can’t mircowave this with metal in it,”

61. erica.blog says:

@SaraAB87: Funnily enough the mother mentions noticing the extra weight while in the store — but she was holding two different brands, not two of the same brand :)

The fact that BOTH the weight and the metal detector “missed” this is just disturbing. I could see (but not really excuse) not noticing small metal fragments, but a clamp that takes up 1/4 of the package? Maybe Bellisio Foods should consider TURNING ON their scale and metal detector.

62. Me - now with more humidity says:

Photogdc: Try again, moron.

63. DrGirlfriend says:

@chiieddy: I know. I do that too. But is that what the f’ing article is about?

Answer: no, it is not.

64. @ShortBus: Yeah I don’t spend nights awake and tormented because I don’t read up on Trader Joes, if that is what you are implying.

There’s more than being in a union than simply wages, but I don’t expect someone coming from your perspective to appreciate that.

65. Greasy Thumb Guzik says:

@phairphair:
    I agree on the disgruntled employee theory. It’s highly unlikely that both the scale & the metal detector could fail to miss that something was wrong with this package!
    My guess is that an employee placed the parts in the food tray, note that both pieces are lying perfectly flat. That too is highly unlikely & that there isn’t any food on top of the clamp parts. Since we don’t know where on the line the metal detector is, I going to say it’s after the box is sealed up. So the employee then let the tray go into the box & get sealed & carried the box around the detector & the scale.

Of course, that all goes out the window if it was tampered with after the food plant.
    It”s possible that it could be done with an iron or heat gun.

Despite what they said, I hope the mom takes a lie detector test, there have been too many fake tamperings. The Wendy’s finger being the worst.

66. mexifelio says:

Hmm, I thought this was a story about a “Perform your own Gastric Bypass Surgery at Home” product.

67. UpsetPanda says:

I think I’d care more if not for the fact that I simply think these women are ridiculously airheaded and needed to get their reasoning skills in order before speaking to the reporter. “I was going to give my sister food but I can’t microwave this with metal in it”…no *$&% sherlock! But why the heck would you even give this to anyone anyway? And the mother’s “stick to your bones” comment made me want to start making up my own phrases and casually interject them into places they don’t belong.

68. brent_w says:

@Techno Viking: A bit more expensive?

At Aldi’s that probably cost a dollar … being 5x more expensive is not a small difference.

69. ARVash says:

70. stageright says:

@ARVash: “haha too bad they didn’t have me as a customer I would have been hapy to recieve such a beautiful steel clamp :D. That thing probably costs more than the TV dinner!”

Congratulations! You’re our 100,000th customer and you’ve won this LARGE METAL CLAMP! P.S. the clamp is not microwave safe…

71. pibbsman0 says:

Ooo, maybe the clamp is one of the “special purchases” Aldi has every week?

They just opened the first Aldi in Rhode Island near me, and the first thing I tried to figure out is why they would sell an Air Hockey table?

72. ath0 says:

The clamp goes around your heart to keep it from bursting after eating all those microwave meals

73. S-the-K says:

From watching “how they do it” type shows on Discovery, History Channel, Science Channel, et al, I’ve seen that it is not unusual for food manufacturers to have a metal detector near the end of the production line, about where they do QA for proper weight, etc. One example I recall is Dreyer’s Ice Cream has a metal detector before the container goes into the freezer before distribution.

How hard is it for food producers to add a metal detector to their production line?

74. CRNewsom says:

That’s not a bad deal really. Mcmaster sells these for much more than that meal cost, I’m sure. I need to get a few hundred of these meals for a project I’m working on. Bonus, you get the entree your lunches…

Part Number 4322K153
    High-Polish 304 SS Quick-Clamp Tube Fitting Wing-Nut Clamp for 2″ Tube OD, 2.516″ Flange OD
    In stock at $10.30 Each

75. phairphair says:

@S-the-K: All food processors are required to have metal detectors on the line. Canned goods processors have them placed before the product is packaged. A clamp like this could not have made it past their QC unless an employee was complicit or someone added it after the item shipped. The most likely explanation here is product tampering.

76. rawsteak says:

worst thing about Sesame chicken ordered from chinese fast food? msg and high in transfat and oil.

worst thing about microwavable chicken frozen in a box?
    METAL CLAMPS!!

77. babaki says:

this is just too funny. it must have been a prank by a worker. i laughed so hard as soon as i saw the picture.

78. reznicek111 says:

@Techno Viking: Collectively speaking, yes, here in America we have many choices for grocery shopping – however, that’s not true for all regions.

As other commenters have noted, depending on where you live you many not have a choice: in many rural areas you may count yourself lucky to have a single supermarket within an hour’s drive. In poorer parts of the inner city, you often have NO actual grocery stores – only convenience stores selling a very limited selection (with little on no fresh produce, or unprocessed meats) or fast food restaurants. The latter situation is colloquially called a “food desert,” and is cited as one of the leading causes of poor dietary habits in urban areas.

79. AMetamorphosis says:

I think it is very sad that people on this forum are arrogantly attacking these people.

I do not shop in Aldi’s because I don’t like renting a shopping cart. Still, I understand why many people do. I also prefer organic foods when possible …

But,

not all of us have the financial means to shop @ Trader Joe’s or upscale stores. Regardless of the circumstances, no one should be put down or made fun of because they shop @ Aldi’s.

Be thankful if you don’t have to …

80. Brunette Bookworm says:

Just because someone shops at Aldi’s doesn’t automatically make them ignorant. I shop there for certain staples like flour, vanilla, etc. There are some really good products there that are cheaper than the grocery stores. I also like their wine. Cheap doesn’t have to mean bad.

Aldi’s also seems to treat their employees well. They pay decently and offer benefits and paid vacations and holidays to them, which is another good reason to shop there. Support places that treat their employees well, unlike Wal-mart.

81. lautaylo says:

Here’s what I want to know:
    Did the people who bought the item *try* contacting Aldi/the manufacturer first, or did they automatically go running to the “news team”?
    I have shopped at Aldi for years, and have never had any issues of this sort. The food quality exceeds standards, and the prices will always fit my budget.
    My in-laws are likewise longtime shoppers. About a decade ago, they found a quarter-sized, sharp & twisted piece of metal in a can of Aldi soup. My MIL wrote a very nice letter to Aldi, and also alerted the store manager. The soup was pulled, and Aldi sent her tons of stuff and coupons, with their apology.
    Seriously, mistakes happen, and they should be dealt with. However, many people today seem to be more concerned with personal attention or gain than with the good of everyone. It is a public mistake, which doesn’t exempt it from coverage, but this shit gets blown way out of proportion sometimes.

82. trujunglist says:

You know what? I love going to Bristol Farms, which is like a European-style speciality supermarket. They have really fresh stuff, fairly rare items (Boylan’s Grape Soda FTW bitches), REALLY rare items (I like weird cheeses), fresh soups, foods, and sanwiches, and general everyday grocery store type of stuff also. They have this frozen mac n’ cheese that’s probably the best mac n’ cheese I’ve ever had in my life. Period.
    But, the downside to all the greatness that is Bristol Farms is that it’s goddamn expensive as hell. That mac n’ cheese I was talking about used to be $12 bucks a pop (it’s like 3 servings, which means it’s still like $6 more than Stouffer’s, but you pay for the quality, mmmm), but it’s now $14. 1 bottle of Boylan’s is something like $2, where I used to get the same thing at Treasure Island, in Chicago, in the Gold Coast, for like $1.25.
    So even though Bristol Farms is goddamn awesome and has really high quality shit (did I mention that every meat you get has to be purchased, weighed, and handwrapped with brown paper (no plastic) at the deli, even stuff like bacon and ground beef?), it’s also really goddamn expensive.
    Since everything seems to be getting pricier these days (food, gas, rent), and I still need to get out every few months because I’m single (women folk are also pricier these days), I end up eating veggies from the swap meet (tomatoes 2 lbs/$1! plums 1 lb/$1! huge, red apple-sized nectarines 1lb/$1!) and cheap everything else from Food 4 Less, the lowest quality of all in terms of meats and veggies. Kraft dinner for me….

83. ChuckECheese says:

@trujunglist: $12 for mac & cheese? I can’t imagine anybody paying that unless they thought that price tag was in pesos instead of dollars. You must be dealing in some alternative currency. I had never heard of BF before. They’re in all these expensive SoCal neighborhoods, it turns out. But comeonnow–don’t you get tired of people sucking up to you with brown butcher paper and untainted soup, just so they can charge you a 900% markup? It doesn’t cost that much more to make that bacon or that sandwich than it does at F4L. Don’t we deserve to eat non-rotten food as a matter of humanity, rather than as a matter of uberboutique marketing?

Save your money and make your woman dinner. She’ll love you all the more for it.