"I Lost My Deposit Slip, And PNC Says There's No Record Of My Deposit"

Nicholas wrote in with a scary problem: his paycheck, which he deposited at his local branch of PNC on Saturday, never showed up in his bank account. The teller seemed to have difficulty processing the deposit, but the slip he gave to Nicholas showed the check had been processed. In the days that followed, Nicholas lost his deposit slip and the only proof he had that the check ever went into his account. Now the bank is telling him it can’t help him without the slip, and Nicholas is wondering where the hell his money went.

My wife and I have our own separate bank accounts and a center, shared account, all with PNC. We can move money from each account to the other freely. Our employer is small enough that direct deposit is not offered, so we deposit our paychecks at our local branch every other Saturday. As we keep a large(ish) balance in the center account, we are able to deposit both of our checks as cash (basically, cash them then immediately deposit them, only the bank does it all). The funds are available immediately, and the transaction is recorded first thing Monday morning.

When we deposited our checks this Saturday, the teller was new and slow. He processed my wife’s deposit and then looked to have processed mine. He handed me a receipt that I have since lost that showed that my check had been processed. When I looked on Monday, my check had not shown up. When I looked again this morning, my check still had not shown. My wife’s showed normally.

I contacted the branch this afternoon, and the woman who answered was polite but insistent that she could do nothing without the receipt. I came home and searched all of hell and half of Georgia for the receipt, but to no avail. We called corporate customer service, which has apparently been outsourced, and the person on the phone was again insistent that we have the receipt. They have put through a request to find the physical check and find out what happened to it.

Here is my fear: if they find the check and it shows that it was processed as cash, what is stopping them from just saying they handed me the cash? I’m not a banker so I don’t know the process. Does my deposit slip stay with the check? In a situation such as mine, where I’ve endorsed the check with a signature so it may be deposited as cash, what are the safeguards in place to keep a teller from faking the deposit and receipt, pocketing the cash and concealing/destroying the deposit slip?

I realize I should have held on to the receipt, but can something like this really be held up by lack of a scrip of paper?

Don’t wait for PNC to get back to you on this—immediately ask your employer to stop payment on the check. If your employer can do that—that is, if your employer’s bank doesn’t already have a record of it being processed—then it was probably a ridiculous error on the new teller’s part and you can just have a new paycheck issued.

If the check has been cashed, you should treat the issue as a potential crime and report it as such immediately to the bank manager, and then to the executive level; there should be a video record of your transaction to review whether or not you were handed cash. If you need to reach high-level members of PNC, try searching EDGAR. We had to drill down several layers to reach this sample phone number, and we can’t confirm that this person is even affiliated with your bank, but it’s an example of the kind of data you can find if you dig deeply enough.

Readers, any other ideas? It seems a little early right now to call your lawyer, but if your employer confirms the check was processed, you might want to contact one for professional advice.

Comments

1. BuddyGuyMontag says:

People still deposit their paychecks?

2. brainologist says:

The Consumerist is absolutely right — get your employer to put a stop-payment on the check they issued you, and have them issue you another one. Many banks charge a stop-payment fee (The only time I ever encountered one it was about $15) which your employer might expect you to cover somehow… but that’s a small price to pay for recovering an entire paycheck! You should have about 2-3 days, considering the time it takes to process checks, but I’d move fast on this just in case.

3. xl22k says:

This happened to me when I was at school a couple years ago and did a deposit by mail. I mailed the deposit, waited two weeks and nothing ever showed up. After calling them and telling them the amount of the checks were they able to “research” it and call me back the next day telling me my account would be credited. Needless to say, that scared me away from using deposit by mail ever again.

I keep all receipts in an envelope (from everything to a Wendy’s meal to plasma TV to bank deposits). Then at the end of the month, I file the ones I may need in the future (like that plasma TV) and shred the others (such as gas, food, bank deposits). It’s worked quite well for me…

I wish you luck getting your money. Hopefully the receipt will turn up when you aren’t looking for it (doesn’t it always?) or someone in the bank will be able to help you. Maybe ask your business if they can get you a copy of the cleared check?

4. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

Um, doesn’t the payroll department where he work have a record the check went through? Can’t they get one?

5. BuddyGuyMontag says:

RTFA’d. I understand working for a small employer doesn’t enable direct deposit, but it’s something you need to look into.

6. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

OK, RTFA…. I know, I know….

7. BuddyGuyMontag says:

@speedwell: If it’s a small employer, they might use a third party to process payroll.

8. Snarkysnake says:

Paycheck , Right ?

Go to payroll. They may not have the physical check (“Check 21″ lets them shred the physical check),but they will have an image of both sides,including where you signed it and the routing numbers where it made its way from the bank back to your employers payroll account.

Take down names and numbers and times that you spoke to the players involved. This helps with accountability.

I had this happen not long ago and got it straightened out pretty quickly…

FWIW

9. chatterboxwriting says:

I wish I remembered more from my short time as a bank teller. The problem could be several things. 1) The teller entered an incorrect account # and the check was deposited in someone else’s account (stupid, but not fraudulent/criminal). 2) It was processed incorrectly so the deposit was not recorded (again, stupid mistake, but not intentional). 3) The teller cashed the check and processed the transaction to make it look like YOU got cash and they pocketed it later when they were balancing their cash drawer (definitely criminal). Bank tellers have to account for every cent every day – I find it hard to believe the bank cannot pull journal tapes, look for a copy of the deposit slip, or search for a transaction of the exact same amount from that day (obviously easier to do if your check was $982.74 than an even $500.00 or something). If the teller was new, they can probably pin down whose line you were in (unless they hire 10 new tellers a week or something), so that could help minimize the number of places they have to search.

My advice would be to have payment stopped on the check as Chris suggested and, in the future, view your receipt before leaving the bank. It’s easy to get complacent and just pocket it so you can go about your day, but if you review it before you leave, you may be able to see if it said it was cashed vs. deposited or some other critical information that is incorrect. Good luck – this must be so frustrating! I worked for a small employer in ’05 and my paycheck bounced TWICE (their fault, not the bank’s) and I ended up not being allowed to cash my paychecks at the bank anymore – I know it was a hassle, so I can only imagine what being without your entire check would be like.

10. MelL says:

I would definitely start working the issue through the employer.

11. barfoo says:

The poster fears that the teller will have pocketed the cash and he won’t be able to recover the money. Frankly, I think this is the LEAST likely scenario. If I were a crooked teller, this would be far too risky a scam for me to try to pull. If one client looked closely at the receipt, I’d be busted. It would be clear from the CCTV footage that I hadn’t handed cash to the customer, even as I processed the transaction as a cash withdrawal. And people are sure to notice and complain if their paychecks go missing.

I’m sure the teller screwed up, but it’s not very plausible that it was such straightforward theft.

12. Anonymously says:

I know for a fact that their corporate call center is located in the USX Building in Pittsburgh.

13. Crumbles says:

@BuddyGuyMontag: People still allow employers access to their checking account?

Quick note “buddyguy,” you granting them access in your account, grants them access to take out.

Good luck with that.

14. jfischer says:

As the same teller handled the wife’s deposit and then the lost deposit. One would think that the wife’s deposit receipt would have a time/date stamp or a transaction number that would help the bank to find the NEXT transaction handled by the same teller.

If all else fails, the security cameras would have some very good images of the teller handling the deposits, and again, the wife’s receipt would have a useful timestamp.

Making the bank find its own error would likely result in a credit to equal the “stop payment” fee paid by the employer, but more importantly, would stress to the bank that training was not optional for tellers.

15. kc2gvx says:

As a teller manager for a large regional bank, you should be able to rectify this soon. If the deposit was made on Saturday, it got posted somewhere for Tuesday morning. Every teller’s drawer has to prove, along with work. Meaning all credits MUST equal debits, or the drawer is out of proof. If you deposited your check, and the teller lost the slip, or encoded it wrong, there is a credit sitting in that branches general ledger for the amount of your check. Contact the branch manager, or teller manager (head teller) for the specific branch you went to. All my tellers work is recorded in a journal. Be polite, and ask for someone at the branch level to solve your issue. Main numbers are worthless here, you will need someone from that branch, hopefully the head teller to call adjustments and other in-house offices to track down your lost amount. Trust me, it is somewhere, and right now a division of PNC bank has an offset with your name on it.

16. ghettoimp says:

Everyone’s already said what to do about this.

I don’t know if it helps, but when I endorse checks I always write, “For deposit only, [my account number], [my signature]” instead of just signing it. Maybe this would give you additional leverage if it ever happens again…

17. kc2gvx says:

Also, your canceled check from your employer should have a validation, or stamp indicating teller number, sequence number, and other vital information for the branch.

18. bobpence says:

Most likely the reason they want the receipt is to access the transaction by its transaction number. Now if only you had the transaction number of the immediate previous or immediate next transaction at that teller station… wait, you just may, because that would be your wife’s deposit which is recorded on her online account access.

P.S. “all of hell and half of Georgia” is redundant.

19. thedragonlady says:

Have you checked the balance in the “center” account to see if the check accidentally went there?

It sounds like they deposit the check to your individual account and put the hold on funds on your “center” account, so funds are available immediately in your individual account. Accidents can happen if an inexperienced teller doesn’t understand the process and procedure.

Also, check with your employeer for the cancelled check. Their bank should be able to provide a copy of the check that will help your bank track where the money went.

Good Luck

20. BuddyGuyMontag says:

@Crumbles: So what exactly are you implying? That all employers will take money out of your bank account for no good reason?

21. Falconfire says:

@Crumbles: Um I hate to tell you, but direct deposit doesnt work like that.

While yes you ARE giving them access by giving them your account and routing numbers, employers are actually blocked from pulling money out of your account.

22. BuddyGuyMontag says:

@Falconfire: Shhhhh. He’s gotta be “that guy” who screams and yells that the technology advantages we have to make our lives easier is actually part of a new world order cabal in order to ruin our lives and turn us into slaves. I call them “Neo-Amish”.

23. BuddyGuyMontag says:

And after that comment, boy is my screen name ironic.

24. microbreak says:

Banks keep a record of each teller’s transactions. If you remember the teller that helped you and the time of the day you went in, they can go back (either through an electronic journal or a physical journal roll) and see what transactions took place. It would help to go to the bank branch in person, as management is more likely to help you if you are at the branch in person rather than a person on the phone.

Handling the issue by dealing solely with your employer might be a good solution for this time, but what about next payday? You should go back and make sure your bank can solve this issue and further train their new employee.

25. CaptRavis says:

If the employer also has their business account with PNC and the teller is cashing the checks as an ‘on-us’ item then depositing the cash, they could have deposited cash back into the business account, instead of Nicholas’. It was a common problem with new tellers and the extra step of taking the ‘on-us’ item out of proof batch. It was also a byte to look for, since the teller is ‘in balance’ and the ledgers are ‘in balance’
    If the bank manager is having tellers cash checks to skirt an inconvient check-hold system or drive transaction counts higher for productivity/incentive payouts, then Nicholas is just going to have explain what that sort of scruntiy will pose when he talks to the regional manager about his missing deposit.

26. eco says:

Consumerist advice is good, however give the bank perhaps a week turn around if you can, for deposit slips and checks are usually sent to a processing center that is located elsewhere. Should the teller have processed the check and deposited it into another account, the processing center itself SHOULD typically catch it (that’s what they’re there to do). Good luck with this situation and hope for the best.

27. InThrees says:

You might also go into the bank and speak with the teller in question and the manager, with a polite “remember me?” line.

But yeah, attacking this from your employer’s end is probably going to be what you need to do.

28. Bryan Price says:

Eight years ago a friend of mine had the same thing happen to him. He deposited it in an ATM, one that scanned the check, and showed him the scan. He still had the receipt, but the bank claimed that he didn’t deposit anything. And of course this was the weekend. They could not find the check. He was about ready to do the same thing, have the original check stopped and a new check cut when the bank finally found the actual check, and put it in his account. It had stuck in the ATM someway. Oh, and he was on his last actual check before direct deposit hit. It always took two paper checks before your direct deposit hit. Even when you changed banks, which I thought was odd.

Only recently have I ever used such ATMs. But these not only scan the check, they also print the scan on your receipt. Very cool. I only deposit about one check/year in an ATM though. Nothing more than $100. Otherwise I use a teller.

29. ALWAYS endorse your check “FOR DEPOSIT ONLY”

That means for deposit only, and there would be no question if it was cashed

30. keithldick says:

Sounds to me that Banks are just looking for more ways to screw us so we can’t enjoy it…

31. dmk2113 says:

This happened to me a while back with a $400 CASH deposit at Citibank. I yelled as loud as I could, as hard as I could, for as long as I could. Hey, they gave me $400 to shut me up, whether or not they believed me.

32. Roxie says:

Microbreak’s right–banks have records of each teller’s transactions. (I would know…I work in the data entry department of a bank now, though I’ve also done my share of customer service work and teller work at other banks.) And banks, in general, have various levels of records that reflects where checks have gone as they have gone through the entire banking system. So personally, I’d get more persistent with customer service/bookkeeping and make them look through their records more carefully and find your transaction.

My other suggestion to you would be to talk to your supervisor and tell them the check has been lost and they should stop payment on it and issue you a new one, if possible. Since you said that your employer’s business is on the small side, that should be easy enough to do. Let’s just hope that the check hasn’t been deposited or cashed by someone else…but I really doubt that this has happened. I think the check and/or transaction itself has merely been misplaced, especially since you were given a receipt. In order to print out a receipt that would be handed to you, the teller had to have processed it, and for that, the teller would have to go into the bank’s computer system to get the deed done. So who knows where the check is now…but I really doubt someone’s outright stolen it and attempted to deposit it into their account.

This reminds me…in case anyone’s concerned about this kind of thing happening to them, I will say this. It certainly does help to keep in mind the fact that the teller who helps you isn’t the only one who will see your checks. Other people will, too, in different departments and different banks as they make their way through the system and are processed, so you need to make sure there is no question of who is supposed to get your money. With that said, it’s important to endorse your checks PROPERLY when you deposit them. It’s not enough to just sign the back or write your account number. Include BOTH pieces of information on ALL your checks when you endorse them, along with “for deposit only” so we know for certain that your checks haven’t been cashed. And this includes checks of yours from other accounts–even if you’re just using one of your own checks from another account to transfer funds, it always helps to endorse them properly. A proper endorsement makes it super-easy for people like me, in the item processing department, to match your check(s) up with your deposit slip when we receive processed transactions from the teller line, and we can help ensure that you receive exactly the amount of money that you want to deposit into your account.

33. jk09 says:

Uhhh, PNC are the initials of which bank? Consumerist, please watch your copyediting.

34. Orv says:

Teller stations keep extensive records. Even the trash is saved for several days in case it needs to be searched to make an account balance. I would call the bank branch again and ask to talk to the manager. They can and should find out what happened, even without the receipt.

35. trademarked67 says:

I had a situation like this happen to me about 10 years ago on a deposit to my business account. I had a receipt which showed an amount equal to the deposit amount on the deposit slip; however, during the bank’s proof process, they came up short one check, so I did not receive credit for the full deposit. They swore up and down that their books were in balance and the check was never received. I had to go back to the customer and have them stop payment on the original and reissue a new check. I reimbursed the customer for the fees they incurred for the stop payment.

A month later the bank called to let me know they found the check. A machine required repair and when the repairman moved it away from the wall, there was the check. Bastards never would reimburse me for the stop payment fee I covered for the customer.

36. humphrmi says:

I interviewed for a job at PNC a while back. Pretentious dicks, the whole lot of them. Sounds like they treat their customers the same as their candidates.

37. MT says:

@Crumbles: Not really true at all. My old employer twice overpaid me (about three times what I was making) and they had to ask me to write them a check because they couldn’t take it from my account once it had direct deposited.

38. forgottenpassword says:

I had the same thing happen MANY MANY years ago when i first started working. Midland bank deposited my paycheck & it never showed up in my account and I couldnt find my deposit slip). I went to the tellers & all I got was “if you dont have a deposit slip then nothing can be done” … they were quite rude & defensive about it too. I even attempted to get a record that my check was cashed from my employer (wells fargo security services), and they delayed & delayed so much that I just basically gave up (I was a stupid kid back then & not the savvy consumer I am now). I was so pissed at midland bank that I closed my account & opened a new one at another bank.

About 2-3 years later I get a letter in the mail saying that I have money in a closed account at midland bank. It was my lost paycheck money from years ago. I go up there , walk in, withdraw my cash (the tellers were stupified as to how I had money in a 3 year old closed account…. I explained to them about the bank’s mistake long ago & their refusal to do anything about it)…. then I took my money & walked out. They didnt even apologise for misplacing my money for all those years. Miserable SOBs!

39. forgottenpassword says:

@ghettoimp:

I do the same thing (put “for deposit only” along with my signature on the back of my check), however I dont put my account number on there.

I NEVER cash my paychecks… I ALWAYS deposit them.

And, yeah, I am one of those guys who does not like the idea of Direct Deposit.

@Bryan Price:
    The new check scanning atms at my bank did this to me as well. First time I used it it sucked in my check & then proceeded to have some sort of major malfunction to where it shut down & then rebooted. I recieved no deposit reciept & it didnt show it in my account as deposited. I WAS PISSED! 5 am in the mornign & I am screaming & banging on an ATM that basically stole my paycheck & malfunctioned. POS ATMS! I had to go up later that day to the bank & report what happend. The woman assured me my check would be found & deposited & informed me that customers were raising hell about the new atms. They DID find & deposit my lost paycheck later.

40. HooFoot says:

@jk09: PNC’s official name is “PNC Financial Corporation.” The actual initials “PNC” haven’t meant anything in decades (for the curious, Pittsburgh National Corporation and Provident National Corporation merged to form PNC Financial in the early 80s.) In short, the Consumerist used the name correctly.

I have also been a longtime PNC Bank customer. There was one incident where I cashed in thousands of dollars in Savings Bonds to make a tuition paument, and they completely FUBAR’d the deposit. They removed several thousand dollars from my account shortly before I was going to make the payment. I was livid, but a trip to the branch and taking down the names of everyone involved in the matter resolved the issue within a day and the payment was made on time. Forget the phones–they won’t brush you aside when you show up to a branch in person.

41. Optimistic Prime says:

@BuddyGuyMontag: My buddy at work still goes to the bank. You can thank the cute tellers there for that. :P

42. dtrots says:

The employer should get the check back – it should have the deposit info printed on it – bring that to the bank and have them straighten it out.

43. thirdbase says:

Of course you should go to the bank. Never underestimate the importance of a personal relationship. Computers ATM and direct deposit has made all you whippersnapers just a bunch of impersonal account #’s.

44. Sherryness says:

@BuddyGuyMontag: As opposed to sticking them in the shredder? He explained that direct deposit is not available.

45. icedcornholio says:

I think that everyone covered the possible issues with the check. I would hope that the letter writer confirmed that the deposit didn’t show up in his wife’s account or the ‘central’ account he was talking about. New tellers have a tendency to leave the screen up for the previous transaction, so it might be there.

Also, I think the poster about the “on-us” check would be correct also.

What I would do is go back to the branch the initial transaction was at. Ask to speak to the branch manager and let them know the situation. Hopefully you have the receipt of your wife’s deposit (btw, it seems odd you have that one but not the other one — weren’t they together?) and you know that the deposit amount should have been $xxx.xx.

The bank should have what’s called a “transaction journal” or “daily transaction report” that shows transactions by time…so they can see what happened to that second check.

You are correct that the journal might say ‘check cashed’, and if you didn’t get the money, the teller was probably off that day.

But yeah, 95% of the time the bank is going to ask you for proof of the transaction. There is quite a bit of work to research this. What some may do is say there’s a $20/hour research fee, 2 hour minimum and you pay that up front but they’ll refund it if it was their error.

Or you could just go to a credit union and avoid these issues entirely :).

46. HungryGrrl says:

@BuddyGuyMontag:

Exactly. I work for a small company too- there are exactly five of us there, including the two owners, and we have direct deposit.

47. legerdemain says:

You just need to talk to the right person. In particular, a friendly bank manager might be your best asset. Many banks have digital security camera systems, and you having a successful deposit of your wife’s check right before (or after) yours means that this friendly person can easily find out, in the terms that matter to the bank, when and where the deposit was made: what teller, what window, what time, to within a couple of minutes. From there, they can witness you handing the check to the teller, the teller fiddling around with your check, handing you a receipt, and you leaving. The same information should also allow them to find the transactions this teller did before and after the transactions of your wife. Banks take teller accountability very, very seriously. They have regulations that require them to have people on staff to sweat this stuff on a daily basis. If the bank manager doesn’t solve this, ask for people in the internal audit or operations departments – they probably aren’t used to talking to customers, but should know exactly who can make things happen.

48. glorpy says:

Don’t wait too long to go the branch. We don’t know how long they keep video records and you may need those as part of your documentation, especially since you have so little other information.

I think the other lesson to take a experience is to deposit your paychecks as cash unless it is absolutely essential.

Since you maintain a high balance in your accounts, the added “convenience” of having even more money available 48 hours (versus 72 or 96) doesn’t seem worth the added risk of dealing with the inevitable new teller.

Let us know what happens when you go to the branch today.

49. sowellfan says:

I’m a bit confused here – so why would you take your paycheck to the bank, and then cash it, and then deposit the cash? That seems like a really stupid thing to do.

50. bostonmike says:

As glorpy points out, security videos aren’t kept forever. Go to the branch and demand that they preserve the videos for that time period if they aren’t going to resolve the problem immediately. Explain that if it can’t get resolved, you’re going to have a file a police report for suspected theft by the teller, and you don’t want the bank to destroy the evidence. Like magic, they should start “taking it seriously” and stop stalling you.

51. ionerox says:

what jfischer said, you should be able to go into the branch and ask to speak with the branch manager, show them the info for your wife’s deposit and then ask that they figure out what happened to your deposit. They can do it!

52. samurailynn says:

I don’t get why he’s concerned about a possible temporary hold on funds if they keep a “largeish” balance in their center account. If it’s because you don’t keep much money in the individual accounts, try depositing the paychecks to the center account, then transferring the amount of money you need into the individual ones. That way the paychecks are always deposited rather than cashed. It’s a lot harder to prove where cash went.

53. AlexTNOA says:

@ BuddyGuyMontag – the Neo-Amish have already been given a name. They’re called Neo-Luddites:

[en.wikipedia.org]

54. MaggieShaw says:

Deposit slips have several sheets to them. There is always a carbon copy. The teller runs the slip though, tears it apart, hands you your copy, and places their own copy right in the drawer. My adivce: Direct Deposit!

55. dsimon says:

The same thing happened to me several years ago at Bank of America. Only by really schmoozing with the teller was I able to get my money back. One number was reversed in the account number when the original teller had keyed in the deposit. The second teller was able to look at checks deposited by date, within a certain dollar amount. I was able to look at the screen as she narrowed it down, and we found the check. She then removed that money from the account it was originally deposited in and put it into my account. It left the original receiver about $450 in the red… ouch. Hopefully OP is able to schmooze as well…

56. banmojo says:

This actually happened to me once, so I called up payroll to check if the paycheck had been cashed yet. It hadn’t, so I had them cancel it and issue me a new paycheck. Problem solved fairly easily!

57. The bank talk of having to show for every penny is flat out crap. The Jackson State Bank ( where Dick Cheney hides mucho funds) credited my GF with a $7.15 deposit instead of $715.00, Six weeks and many bounced checks passed before we found the mistake in our deposit receipts.

58. Brunette Bookworm says:

@Bryan Price: I do payroll where I work and the reason it takes a couple checks for direct deposit to begin working is the verification process in making sure the numbers you put in for the account match your account. It’s much better to wait a few weeks for everything to be verified than it is to have written an incorrect number down or have the person type in a wrong number and have your check go who knows where. I don’t know it it’s an ACH delay with the two weeks or a payroll processing delay, but either way, it’s a good thing for it to be verified.

59. mzlinax3 says:

As a teller myself, here is what I am most concerned about. If the checks are being cashed and then deposited AS CASH on a Saturday… Why in the world are you waiting until Monday or Tuesday to see if the funds are available in your account? If the deposit is, in fact, being processed as a cash deposit, I would not be waiting until Monday or Tuesday to find out where my money went.

60. aairheadednut says:

Hi,
    I saw this post and I had to jump in. I just got off the phone with PNC. I deposited 837.25 (mixed deposit) on Saturday. When I checked my account online sunday it showed it was pending. Sometime yesterday (monday) my deposit fell off the earth. MY over draft kicked in thank God! but my account no longer shows I made the deposit. I called the 1-800 number because it was after hours and she said she was showing no record of the deposit. I searched high and low and found my deposit slip. Does anyone know will they put the money in my account when I show them the slip or is this going to turn into a full blown nightmare?
    My other question is, whats going on inside PNC??????????
    I hope you get your money and I hope I do too!
    I would like to know the outcome to your problem.