Circuit City Extends Return Window For Suddenly Obsolete HD DVD Players

The Associated Press is reporting that Circuit City is tripling the normal return window for HD DVD players in the hopes of retaining some loyal customers.

The nation’s No. 2 electronics retailer has instructed its stores to “take care of our customers” and accept returns of HD DVD players within 90 days of purchase, spokesman Jim Babb said.

Circuit City, which has a usual 30-day return policy, is allowing customers who purchased HD DVD players to return them for store credit. The policy doesn’t apply to HD DVD movie discs.

The Richmond company noted that while some people may want to return the players, others are buying them on clearance because they still play high-quality HD DVDs and improve the playback of standard DVDs.

Will any of you take advantage of this?

Circuit City Extends HD DVD Return Time [Yahoo!] (Thanks, YummySceneX-Kid!)

Comments

1. FightOnTrojans says:

Wow! It’s a nice gesture, to say the least. I wonder if any other retailers will step up to the plate now? Of course, it could also be that CC sold very HD-DVD players (and they know how many they sold), so their exposure could be very limited and they are just milking this for free publicity.

2. FightOnTrojans says:

*it could also be that CC sold very FEW HD-DVD players…

Dangit Consumerist, when will you let people edit their comments?

3. B says:

@FightOnTrojans: I think CC knows that the HD-DVD players they sold cost 179-199, and the new blu-ray players cost 299 and up.

4. Chols says:

That’s really nice of them. If I bought a $300 HD DVD player and found out a month later that it was obsolete, I would definitely go back to return it and spend a little more to get a Blu-Ray player.

Way to go Circuit City.

5. sir_eccles says:

Here’s a question, they’ll let you return the player but can you return the discs as well?

6. KenSPT says:

@sir_eccles: No, as the article says, you can’t return the discs.

Honestly, letting people return the players is a nice enough gesture. It’s something they didn’t have to do, it’s not their fault that the player is going to be obsolete. There’s no reason for them to allow customers to return the discs.

7. STrRedWolf says:

Those of you who still have the XBox 360 HD-DVD drive (that can be attached to your PC)? Rip your movies now!

8. teh says:

@sir_eccles: Letting people return disks is much more hassle (with little added benefit). Do you require people to have a receipt (which few people actually will), or do you let people return HD-DVDs that were part of a free promotion? In a pure economic sense, people get more perceived value from returning a $200 player (and then even spending an extra $100 for a new Blu-ray player) than they will from returning an equivalent amount of disks.

9. teh says:

@KenSPT: Or apparently I’m wrong. Perhaps it is worth the added cost to CC.

10. vliam says:

@B: We’re talking about CC.
    Try $399 and up.

11. sir_eccles says:

@KenSPT: Maybe I should have read the article :-)

Time for a class action against Steve Jobs then?

12. Based on their recent strokes of genius, I’m guessing that CC’s logic is, “Were gonna corner the HD-DVD market! That’ll save this company!”

13. eskimo81 says:

Just to follow up, I just got some spam from Future Shop (a formerly-Canadian company now owned by Best Buy).

If you bring in an HD DVD player, they’ll give you $100 off a combo HD DVD/Blueray player.

I like Circuit City’s solution better.

14. FightOnTrojans says:

@B: umm… ok? And?

15. kJeff says:

So when is my HD-DVD player going to suddenly stop working? Oh wait, it’s not.

I’ll keep mine, thanks, and build my library up when the HD-DVD prices plummet.

16. SomeoneGNU says:

Damn Circuit City sucks, you mean they won’t come to my place and replace it without me lifting a finger? Probably just some Firedog bait and switch if you ask me.

17. SomeoneGNU says:

@kJeff:

It’ll be just as impressive as your laser disc collection! I mean, you do realize there won’t be new movies? So really what you see is what you get.

18. greensmurf says:

@SomeoneGNU: HD dvds will still play regular dvds. I didnt buy one I still have a regular dvd player, there is no way in hell I will buy a new format I have like 800 dvds at 30 bucks a pop for blue ray to replace them all would be $24,000. Screw that. I am happy with my $60 dvd, well actually I am not it is starting to suck but I wont fork over 400 bucks for a blue ray. I will get a top of the line Regular dvd player.

19. dweebster says:

Seems like a noble gesture, with obvious self-serving benefits of course. “Best” Buy probably won’t even take them back at all.

20. Elvisisdead says:

@kJeff: And be stuck in 2008 and prior. You can lend me some, though. I’ll be stubborn and stay away from Sony for pure hate.

21. That-Dude says:

@sir_eccles: @teh: I don’t even think you have to go that far. I am sure people have purchased DVDs or received them as gifts and no longer want them. I would assume that most people who own a an HD DVD player want a next gen DVD player (and would be willing to purchase a blue-ray), whereas it is uncertain if the public gives a damn about Spiderman 3 after viewing it two additional times and realizing the extras suck. (I don’t know if Spidey 3 is worth a purchase or not.)

22. octoSink says:

I wrote a nice letter asking Amazon to do the same for my Toshiba HD-DVD player. Let’s hope they do the same!

23. NoNamesLeft says:

return then rebuy….

24. Craig says:

They probably break even financially on the percentage of customers who upbuy to a Blu-Ray when they return their HD DVD and get plenty of free publicity and customer goodwill in the process. There’s nothing “nice” about this gesture unless you’re a shareholder.

25. strathmeyer says:

@B: “I think CC knows that the HD-DVD players they sold cost 179-199, and the new blu-ray players cost 299 and up.”

You’re right, exting the warrant on the blu-ray players instead of the HD-DVD players would’ve been stupid.

26. scoosdad says:

Hope they won’t screw the deal by requiring all original packaging and a blank warranty card be returned with it. Gonna be lots and lots of ‘open box’ sales there!

@Craig: Financially I think they would have made out better (and maybe gotten some $$ from Blu-ray manufacturers to make this happen) if they had just offered a trade-in credit toward the purchase of a new Blu-ray machine rather than just the in-store credit.

27. grebby says:

Good for Circuit City. I bought my HD-DVD player from Amazon, who put them on DEEP discount after Toshiba’s announcement. Even though it had been more than 30 days, they still refunded me the difference in price. So now I have a really good upconverting DVD player for under $100 and don’t feel so bad about picking the loser in the format war.

Now if only I could get those 5 free movies Toshiba and Microsoft promised me….

28. coold8 says:

Time and time against Circuit City has been impressive me through just plain out right good customer service.

29. scoosdad says:

@coold8: Huh? Wanna try that one again please? :-)

30. Ray308win says:

I think this is incorrect… my local Circuit City tells me that they are allowing customers who purchased a HD-DVD Player from Toshiba to Exchange their unit if purchased “Within the last several months” to put towards a Blu-Ray player -Only-. Don’t know much else you would want to get when returning it, but any of you wanting to put your cash back into your wallet may not be so happy. This is, however, still a generous offer from Circuit City.