Verizon Responds To Angry Customers Who Have Not Received Their Free LCD TVs

Verizon has posted a Q&A that tries to address some of the concerns their customers were having over an LCD TV promotion that’s gone awry.

Numerous Verizon customers have reported that they were not sent the “reward letters” that they needed to redeem for the LCD TVs they were owed. We suggested that people start filing complaints with their state’s attorney general.

Verizon says they stand by the promotion and that consumers who still have not received their “reward letters” should “please call your local Verizon business office; the phone number is listed on your monthly bill.”

For more information about the promotion and details about when you can expect delivery of your TV, click here.

HDTV Promotion [Verizon Policy Blog]
(Photo:BILLBINNS)

Comments

1. pda_tech_guy says:

Its so sad that their name has to be tainted a little for them to do anything about it.

2. Anonymous says:

Are they “taking it seriously” ?

3. NcSchu says:

When my family talked to the Verizon guy installing FIOS in the house next door to us a few months ago he said it would take a while for the televisions to be sent out to make sure the customers were sticking to FIOS and not just temporarily buying it to get the TV.

4. cmdr.sass says:

I would subscribe to FiOS even without the stupid free tv promotion. That service sells itself.

5. soulman901 says:

Most of these poor people have Verizon face now I would assume.

6. crabbyman6 says:

@cmdr.sass: Agreed. I just got FiOS TV and phone and have had internet for a few months and I LOVE it. Haven’t had an internet interruption in around 6 months of use except for when the POS router decides it needs to be reset.

7. Buran says:

So… do we love or hate Verizon? C’mon people, get it straight!

8. TheBigLewinski says:

I installed FIOS (phone, Inet and TV) 12 months ago and LOVE the service. I have even had to call service to get my Cable Cards configured properly (I have Tivo) and they were outstanding.

I do have to say that some of the local service people are clueless, I know more than most of them just by reading about FIOS.

Bottomline is I luv the service and I’m luke-warm on the company.

9. socalrob of the 24 and a half century says:

@NcSchu:
    But its a 19 inch TV. Its almost pointless these days. Where are you going to put it? In the master bedroom I guess, but still its a 19 inch TV. They are cheap. If they were offering say a 42 inch or above TV, well then I could see them holding off. But for a 19 inch TV and a contract that has ETF, thats bull. The ETF would cover the TV most likely and then some.

I’m still not sure about FIOS and a 19 inch TV isnt going to persuade me, nor is their piddly offer now. I’d rather have a no contract offer. That would be more persuasive to me.

10. crabbyman6 says:

Yeah, I agree with TheBigLewinski, service is great, support is so-so. When I called to sign up for TV and voice this is an abridged version of how the interaction when down:

Me:I’d like to sign up for Fios TV and voice.
    Rep:Let me check availability….Fios is not available in your area in and form, but I can sign you up for DSL.
    Me:Uhhhh, but I found this number using Fios internet.
    Rep:Let me recheck availability….Nope, not available, how about DSL.
    Me: Uhhhhh…*click*

11. @crabbyman6: I had a big power outage w/ the recent storm, and the phone was going great. I love my FIOS, and just got my letter for my TV or the 200 BB gift card. Chose the TV. I can always use it as a monitor. Even w/ the basic package, it’s still nice. I like the free stuff on demand, b/c they have stuff like South Park, Reno 911!, and Good Eats.

12. MeOhMy says:

Yeah I had to talk my wife out of this. 19″ TV? Don’t do me any favors. I also have serious concerns about all of my telecom services being bundled together. Right now if I get into a fight with DTV, my phone and my internet still work. I’m not relying on one vendor for everything.

13. backbroken says:

They are delaying the offer to make sure you don’t switch back? I thought standard installation came with removal of all copper so that you couldn’t switch back?

14. sgodun says:

Still don’t know the model number of the Magnavox set.

15. rjhiggins says:

@thbarnes: Please, no more “taking it seriously” lines. It stopped being funny months ago.

16. Dacker says:

This just reminded me — I never got a promised $25 gift card when I signed-up for Verizon FiOS!

17. AMetamorphosis says:

Let Cindy Granroos @ Verizon know of your problems.
    She is the executive assistance to the VP of Customer relations

cindy.granroos@verizonwireless.com

480-783-5052

18. scoosdad says:

@AMetamorphosis: But isn’t Verizon wireless a different branch of Verizon that has nothing to do with FIOS?

I recently had an issue where Verizon landline “lost” my dialtone when Verizon digital installed my DSL, and getting the two sides of Verizon together in the same place to figure out how to fix it was like trying to bring the Israelis and the Palestinians together. I’d call one, and they’d give me the number of the other to call instead. They freely tell you that “we’re not the same company”. Ditto for cellphone/wireless, I’d imagine.

19. @Buran: Hate, of course!

I personally am distrustful of anything as large, omnipresent, and powerful as Verizon or similar scale companies [except the U.S. goverment, though.]

20. SuffolkHouse says:

Some guy says the service sells itself. Sure, but the promotion does the opposite. So, while their “product” might be best by comparison, the provision of services sucks. I don’t think a website is a solution. I think anticipating this kind of shit and over-serving is the solution.

You want a long-term solution? Start hiring philosophers and historians (freshly minted BAs) to run these call centers. Not the business school stroke victims who can’t write or think, who only stand out because of their passion to make stock holders money. I teach these business school students, and quite uniformly, regardless of school, they rank among the worst at colleges and universities.

21. snakeuvs says:

This Verizon promotional offer seems like pure evil to me. Once you get the free TV then don’t you also need (if you have FiOS TV) a set-top box that you have rent from Verizon for a monthly fee?

How about this as a “promotion”: free set-top boxes for my existing TVs that I want to hookup to FiOS TV?

22. Meg Marco says:

@rjhiggins: This is incorrect. It continues to be funny. Thank you.

23. ConsumerAdvocacy1010 says:

Please, that site is nothing but crap. I knew that info, and it (for me…) came with my first bill.

I really want to take Verizon to task for what they did to me (again…I switched BACK to COMCAST!!!!!!).

24. Medic13100 says:

People do waht we had to do go to your local TV station and complain the publicity will hurt Verizon. I live in Delaware and contacted the Channel 6 News which is ABC the have a service called Call for Action which is located in the Phila, Pa viewing area. There number is 215-581-5745 and the number for Mrs. Galloway a Super for Verizon out of Pittsburgh,Pa is 412-804-7109. She has been in touch with me since the tv station was mentioned and just promised me on 3-28-2008 that I should get my gift cards by 4-15-2008 because of a shortage of gift cards (laughing) now tell me how there could be a shortage take your lazy butt to the local Best Buy and purchase more. Again Contact the local Media gets results quicker.

25. ISherman says:

Well I can’t believe it but today I finally received my free Flat Screen TV…My sevice was installed on January 12th 2008 and the TV arrived on June 24, 2008 a liitle over 5 months late! …oh well better late than never!