Manhattan rents are driving away Burger King! Franchise owners say they were forced to close their restaurants because they couldn’t afford to offer the mandatory 99-cent menu. They were paying between $9,000 -$18,000 per location. [Gothamist]

Comments

1. tombo says:

Just as well. You ever see the price of burgers at BK and McD in NYC? When they have a 99c special all over the US, they are 5.99 in nyc. Try getting out of a BK with a burger, fries and coke for less than $7.99. Can’t be done.

2. humphrmi says:

See what happens when you don’t help out the neighborhood…

[consumerist.com]

3. This is what happens when they discontinue the Whopper,one of the most marketable and popular products they had. The moment they announced it, I couldn’t even bring myself to watch the rest of the ad to hear why.

4. Xerloq says:

This is probably far more effective than banning trans-fats.

5. WraithSama says:

@BayStateDarren:

Uh, that was a PR stunt. Even at the beginning of the commercials they say that it was for one day, just to see what would happen.

6. TechnoDestructo says:

WTF…for as long as I can remember, prices on every fast food item in Alaska were higher than the nationally-advertised prices. New York is somehow special?

7. TechnoDestructo says:

@WraithSama: The post to which you just responded was a PR stunt, though a less transparent one.

8. northernplateguy says:

@BayStateDarren: They discontinued the Whopper!? Oh well, I haven’t ate at a BK in so long I wouldn’t know. @WraithSama: It was just a publicity stunt? Burn!

9. @WraithSama: Really? Next you’re gonna tell me that the so-called Burger King is not in fact an actual sovereign or monarch and in fact holds no official title or nobility whatsoever!

10. cde says:

This is what happens when your son starts running around causing trouble for Wendy and Ronald.

11. KyleOrton says:

@BayStateDarren: That’s what you get when you base your self worth on fast food, jerk!

I will continue to hold my head high and turn up my nose in my cliff, meteor and Loch-Ness-Monster-proof Toyota Tundra!

12. Scuba Steve says:

I don’t mind closing down a cheap fast food store. Maybe someone, somewhere, will learn to cook their own meals.

13. tombo says:

NY has always been overpriced, you walk into BK or McDonalds and get a burger, fries and coke and walk out spending 7.99. The rest of the country it’s 2.99.

14. Maulleigh says:

Yeah. I’m surprised when I see that. In SF, my McDonald’s had the dollar double cheese burger. I’ve found ONE McDonald’s in Manhattan that carries that on the dollar menu.

The rules of regular America do not apply anywhere on the isle of Mannahatta. None of them.

15. Moosehawk says:

Moosehawk smells sarcasm about these threads.

16. stevegoz says:

@Maulleigh: A dollar for a double cheeseburger? Sucker — they’re a nickel here in the Midwest!

17. cde says:

@Maulleigh: Or north/central jersey. South jersey has the double-cheese on the dollar menu.

But then again, I rather eat a can of concentrated cancer then mcdonalds. /srsly

18. spinachdip says:

Two thoughts, possibly contradictory and only slightly on-topic:
    1) If a franchise, which has the benefit of a built-in customer base and the marketing/PR might of a Fortune 500 corporation, can’t compete in Manhattan, what hope is there for a small business that has to buld itself from ground up. Which is unfrotunate, because small businesses are the backbone of New York City’s economy. I don’t think people will realize the cost of pricing out small businesses until it’s too late.

2) Further evidence that franchises are bad news for everyone but the franchiser. You get small business revenues but with big business headaches.

19. cde says:

@spinachdip: small businesses don’t have franchising fees to pay or rules to follow.

20. OsiUmenyiora says:

@Maulleigh: Yeah, and we like it that way. I like to say that I live on a small island off the coast of America.

21. DCGaymer says:

Manhattan Burger Kings going out of business? This is a bad thing how?

22. Angryrider says:

So that’s why I haven’t seen a BK in Manhattan in a long time. There used to be one near my school when I was a wee child, now it’s gone, replaced by a Golden Crust. Sadly that’s gone too, replaced by a Yogurt Bar, WTF is that?!

23. Beerad says:

@Angryrider: Oh, that’s sad — it’s like a gradual de-yummification of the location.

I was in a McDonald’s in Chelsea the other day and they had taped up a printed sign saying “Limit 4 dollar double cheeseburgers per customer per 4 hour visit.” Way to boldy identify the item you take a loss on, but I guess everyone knew that anyway. Kinda funny to imagine them turning people away for that fifth cheeseburger, though.

24. Trai_Dep says:

They should have gone with the “Buy our burger for $7 worth of trinkets & beads” promo. Fools… FOOLS!

25. ElizabethD says:

Ah, New York: Couldn’t afford to live there even if I wanted to. Love to visit there, but no longer can afford to. :-(

Bring back the Automats.