Personal Finance Roundup

Spending Gone Wild: What’s a Spouse to Do? [Wall Street Journal] “How do you deal with a spouse who is a runaway spender?”

8 Ways to Cut Your Grocery Bill [Smart Money] “With a little legwork, savvy shoppers can keep their grocery bills at pre-2007 levels — if not lower. Here’s how.”

How divorce hits your 401(k) [MSN Money] “If your marriage is breaking up, here’s one more thing to think about: The major effect it’ll have on your employer-sponsored retirement plan.”

Six Ways to Figure Out What Your House Is Worth [The Street] “Here are steps to get a reasonable idea of your house’s worth.”

The Candidates on the Pocketbook Issues [Business Week] “Here are some proposals from the 2008 Presidential candidates for shoring up Americans’ financial security.”

(Photo: CurtisJoeWalker)

Comments

1. raleel says:

Grocery stores are one way to really cut your bill. I admit, I was not a believer, but my brother in law convinced me. My wife and I switched from the albertson’s 2 minutes away to the WinCo (a coop, but very large) 5 minutes away. We saved at least 20%, and often more like 50%. We hit the Albertson’s for a very few things that aren’t carried, or that are out.

2. mac-phisto says:

i read that “spending gone wild” article this sunday. wasn’t too impressed. their solution? well, they rebuffed the financial re-education approach & instead suggested counseling &/or divorce/separation. thanks for the tabloid advice, wsj!

3. char says:

That 8 ways to cut your grocery bill article is terrrrrible.

Suggestions like stockpiling and using coupons almost inevitably lead to more spending, not less.

Really want to cut the bill? Stop buying bread, instead buy yeast and flour (tastes better too). Stop buying “Frozen Entrees.” Avoid anything diet based, buy vegetables in season or from a farmers market. buy more grains, buy less meat.

4. KJones says:

One way to cut costs that a lot of people cringe at is cooking a lot and eating the same meal three days in a row, or freezing it. Most don’t like the, idea but the cost per meal drops, and as long as you’ve got dozens of meals in your repertoire, it doesn’t get that boring. Another is going semi-vegetarian; having half your meals with rehydrated beans instead of meat saves loads of cash, if you can stand the gas and have enough recipes.

As for the video on financial messes, both people sounded reasonable but also rationalized their decisions. This is a good reason to live together for a few months before getting married – it’s easier to get away from a walking financial disaster before marriage than after.

5. rockergal says:

hmm my husband hunts, and therefore I never have to buy meat. now THAT is a way to save $$

6. cerbie says:

If the store brands are crap, then what? FI, most cheese, any kind of cracker, rice, beans (mainly cleanliness for beans), etc.?

If you aren’t buying things that last forever, then what? Frozen broccoli? I’ll just not eat greens. Frozen Brussels sprouts are only acceptable due to fresh ones not always being available.

New York cheddar is not New York cheddar. There is good, there is bad, there is in the middle. Like with milk and butter, I think most people have trained themselves to turn their taste buds off.

Coupons work, they just don’t apply often enough to what I buy. Likewise, bruised and dated stuff is cool, if you can get it, and you would have bought it anyway.

It costs way more than it did a few years ago, and the article has very little in the way of advice I didn’t get from friends and family, ages ago.

7. synergy says:

I’m glad my husband and I both work and we have separate accounts. Each of us has spending obligations for the household. After that, bets are off. Not that either one of us is a shopaholic. I was once, but not anymore. I grew up in a household where every fight was about money and I wasn’t about to let that happen in my own house.