Mystery Pancake Recall: ….And The Winner Is Salmonella!

The mysterious Aunt Jemima pancake recall was due to possible salmonella contamination says the Associated Press:

The Quaker Oats Co. said Tuesday it is recalling a limited number of Aunt Jemima Pancake & Waffle Mix products because of potential salmonella contamination from raw or undercooked ingredients.

So now you know. Congratulations to Salmonella for winning the recall. Thank you for playing, “Botulism” and “Pieces of Metal” we have some lovely parting gifts for you.

Aunt Jemima pancake mix recalled [MSNBC]
PREVIOUSLY: Aunt Jemima Pancake Mix Recalled Mysteriously

Comments

1. Evilcreamsicle says:

I’m sure this was an evil Mrs. Butterworth conspiracy

2. Are these pre-made pancakes? If it’s mix, how can there be raw or uncooked ingredients? I don’t understand.

3. firefoxx66 says:

Yea I’m wondering the same thing. What is in dry powder that salmonella could survive on?

4. Steve Trachsel, Ace says:

@Git Em SteveDave: They have like egg-flake or dry milk in them I would bet.

5. homerjay says:

MMMmmm…. Egg-flake……..

6. timsgm1418 says:

naturally the one time I buy Aunt Jemima instead of Hungry Jack. Fortuntely mine hasn’t been open yet, guess I’ll be heading back to the store.

7. orielbean says:

Or if someone was handling the packaging with the disease, it can be passed along that way. I imagine that the bacteria can remain dormant for some time…

8. ChrisC1234 says:

How many times do I need to say “Always cook your food thoroughly”. Salmonilla, Ecoli… properly cooked and handled food will still be safe to eat, even if it started with these.

9. Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ) says:

@orielbean: I think that might be more likely. Pancake mix usually requires the addition of eggs and milk.

I thank the recall, actually, for reminding me that some poor souls don’t pre-make their pancake mix from scratch (it’s pretty easy, folks) and don’t know the light of not eating out of a box.

10. soulman901 says:

@ChrisC1234 – But Remember, it’s always the idiots that don’t cook these items properly and then sue when they get sick. “Hey, I wasn’t told I had to cook the eggs on the outside of the carton.”

11. Pro-Pain says:

For those who wish to know the boxes affected by the recall are dated FEB 9 to FEB 23 2009. That is their expiration date. Hope this info helped.

12. Angryrider says:

@ChrisC1234: Well, the American Consumer likes to live dangerously, as long as their food isn’t dangerous when it is dangerous in its uncooked state.

13. sarabadara says:

Usually if it’s “complete pancake mix,” you only need to add water.

14. Dervish says:

My money’s on dry egg, although milk is a possibility. A lot of commercial mixes in this vein are add-water-only.
    @ChrisC1234: This is true, but I’d think that pancakes are a bit more likely than some other products to be undercooked. I’m thinking of those big, thick ones that are still all batter-y in the middle…ish. Like eating paste.

15. MaelstromRider says:

Always cooking the food thoroughly doesn’t always help. We did that, and we got sick because the box spilled and that powder got all over the counter and dusted onto some other food packages.

Not thinking it was teeming with hordes of vicious, toxic bacteria that wanted to turn my intestines inside out, I cleaned, but didn’t sterilize or throw away everything that it touched.

16. Rectilinear Propagation says:

…it’s pretty easy, folks…
    @Applekid: It also costs more and takes more time.

@Dervish: Yeah, and I can’t think that most people are eating it that way on purpose. Unlike steaks.

17. spince says:

So it wasn’t a nice healthy shot of mancake mix?

18. @Git Em SteveDave: Dehydrated eggs and/or milk. Also sometimes a problem (though not for salmonella) is that whole grain flours can turn rancid or grow freaky friends (while white flours really can’t) because there’s oil and protein still in the flour.

19. Dervish says:

@Eyebrows McGee: In addition to the fat present in whole wheat flours, since the entire wheat kernel is milled, the rancidity-causing enzymes in the bran are incorporated into the ground product. These are what actually cause the fat to go rancid. Interestingly enough, flour rancidity might not be an issue someday in the future. There’s a lot of research going on into the possibility of heat-treating the flour, which unfolds those enzymes and makes them unable to function.

You’re right in that rancidity isn’t a huge health risk, but it will wreak havoc on any baking soda that happens to be present, which means that your baked good/pancake won’t rise at all.

20. Rode2008 says:

I think this whole hysteria thing is a racist plot to undermine Aunt Jemima. Have Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton weighed in on this issue?

21. rg says:

Salmonella, I always wondered what Aunt Jemima’s first name was. Speaking of Aunt Jemima, has the NAACP not seen that box lately? Isn’t crying “racist” still in vogue?

22. candacem says:

Hi, I’m Candace, the PR person for Aunt Jemima and wanted to direct everyone to a web site for more information
    [321cba.com]

and a consumer hotline number 800-407-2247. The health and safety of our consumers is our highest priority.

23. Old No.7 says:

Why would you use batter mix that was a month past the expiration date, anyway?

24. HeartBurnKid says:

@Applekid: Aunt Jemima’s is a “Complete” pancake mix — i.e. the “just add water” kind, which means it already incorporated dry eggs and milk.

I hear you on putting together your own pancake mix, though; it’s pretty easy, and you only need to do it once every couple of months, since you can do it in pretty big batches.