Consumer gets a box of beans instead of a hard drive from Best Buy. If this happens to you, file a report with your state’s attorney general and then do a chargeback with your credit card company. The best way to prevent it, however, is to open the item inside the store. [CNN]

Comments

1. vastrightwing says:

I am SHOCKED! SHOCKED this would happen at Best Buy. I assure you they will take this VERY VERY seriously.

2. TedSez says:

But they’re magic beans! Plant them in the ground and they’ll grow into a high-def TV that goes all the way to the sky.

3. Buran says:

@TedSez: Which you have to be in orbit to view!

4. Maulleigh says:

I will definately do this from now on. I’ve heard too many horror stories.

5. warf0x0r says:

It’s ridiculous to expect people to open items inside a BBY or any other store. They’re all designed so that you have as little space as possible on the way out.

Here’s a better solution:

6. Brie says:

Hilarious. How much do you have to HATE your job at Best Buy to do that?

7. Toof_75_75 says:

@MissedTheExit:
    Not that much…someone got a free hard drive. I wonder if they checked that employee on his way out of the store with a stolen hard drive or if they just checked the customer’s receipt some more.

8. If these things happen at the point of origin, like unethical factory workers, I guess there’s no way to prevent it, but sometimes people will buy the product and then re-shrinkwrap it before returning it, so you can go a long way toward protecting yourself by inspecting the shrinkwrap. Factory shrinkwrap is pretty uniform, so compare it to the other boxes of the same item.

I used to know a guy who would buy CDs at Best Buy, and he’d circumvent the tamper sticker by just unhinging the case at the bottom, and then he’d burn the CD, re-shrinkwrap it, and then return it. If the employee looked closely they could tell it was re-done because factory CD shrinkwrap is folded at the edges, like wrapping paper.

Not guaranteed assurance, but worth being observant.

9. BlueTraveler says:

A friend just bought a hard drive from Best Buy 2 days ago. The hard drive was shrink wrapped, as were all the other hard drives there. Why do people continue to buy items from best buy that are not factory sealed?

10. consumerd says:

I agree, newegg.com is a better place to buy hard drives.

11. HOP says:

BEST BUY SUCKETH

12. HOP says:

I SOLVED THAT PROBLEM A LONG TIME AGO…I DON’T EVEN EN TER A BEST BUY STORE….

13. Crymson_77 says:

Newegg is cheaper than BBY too…doesn’t make senseth!

14. dweebster says:

I am **shocked** that the Receipt Check Nazi at the door didn’t catch this one. You’d think those geniuses would be right on top of this one.

The shopping experience at “Best” Buy isn’t worth a box of beans, though apparently you might get one.

15. dweebster says:

@warf0x0r: Agreed. Even though it kills local jobs, NewEgg.com (and nearly all online retailers I deal with) has _always_ taken care of me and amicably handled any issue that arose. Plus, every dime you spend elsewhere is a dime that “Best” buy does not receive. Die, “Best” Buy, just Die – meet “The Wiz” in retailer Hell.

16. WraithSama says:

It’s been said, but it’s worth repeating:

I won’t by computer components anywhere else.

17. chstwnd says:

This is the second story like this that I’ve heard about BestBuy. is there a log of these occurrences somewhere?

18. TPK says:

A few weeks ago, I succumbed to the lure of the low price, and bought a laptop at Best Buy… At checkout, I told them that I had heard of several reports of product tampering and I wanted to verify the contents, but they refused to let me open the package until I had paid for it.

I did right there in front of them, and it was fine. Glad to be aware that I needed to check though.

19. dweebster says:
  20. dweebster says:

@TPK: Don’t you know it’s not *REALLY* yours until you get past the guy demanding receipts at the door?

21. czetie says:

If they’re going to check your receipt at the door, that’s a good opportunity to check the merchandise. By the way, you don’t need all that extra packaging the product came in. They’ll be happy to take care of it for you.

22. tosser says:

But…But…But…

All those TV stock analysts said that treating your employees like human beings insted of 19th century Russian serfs and refusing to plop down a store on every other block America would hurt Costco’s bottom line.