Crest Pro-Health Mouthwash: "I Woke Up With Brown Spots On My Teeth"

Reader Monique says that she used Crest Pro-Health Mouthwash and woke up with brown spots on her teeth and no sense of taste. How terrifying!

Crest Pro-Health Mouthwash turned my teeth brown! And on top of that, I can’t taste anything! I can’t believe this stuff is even on the market. My wisdom teeth are coming in painfully, and I am prepping to get them removed next week. So while at Rite Aid last night, I picked up a bottle of Crest Pro-Health mouthwash. I typically use Listerine, but as I said my wisdom teeth are killing me and this Crest CRAP advertises “No Alcohol”. Cool.

Except that after using it for ONE day (in the am and then before bed) I woke up today with brown spots on and in between my teeth and I cannot taste anything at all. After being scared almost to the point of tears, I started googling these symptoms. You wouldn’t believe how many website there are that are dedicated to this nonsense. Crest should be sued for this!

More people need to be informed about this. On top of that, if you read the comments on the site I am linking, Crest wont even reimburse you for the lousy 4 dollars you spend on this poison. Never mind the expensive dental bills I am going to face whitening and repairing my teeth. Spread the word Consumerist.

Yikes! We took a look around the internet and found a lot of people complaining about this issue.

Here are some highlights from Amazon.com:

David Case from Flint, MI says:

At the beginning mouthwash was fine. Nice not having the alcohol burn and the breath, that my girlfriend hated. So that was nice.

But after extended use for a month it stained in between my teeth brown. It looked terrible and it cost me a one hundred dollar trip to the dentist to scrape that junk off. The dentist advised that it was my mouthwash after hearing it was this Crest mouthwash that I was using. I was surprised that a mouthwash that is suppose to help clean your teeth actually does the opposite.

Another guy says:

This garbage put dingy yellow and brown stains on my teeth, especially near the gums. A dental cleaning failed to get them off. If I had known this mouthwash could cause stains, I would never have used it in the first place. If my next dental cleaning fails to remove the yellow on my teeth, P&G may have a lawsuit on their hands. It’s to the point where I don’t want to even talk or smile. These Pro Health products should be illegal.

E.Leyden from NY, NY says:

The first thing I noticed was a buildup of white gunk on my tongue. I had just brushed my tongue until it was a nice pink before using the mouthwash, which annoyed me. But it wasn’t just gunk — this stuff was solid. It was annoying, but I could live with gunk. I can’t live with what else it did, though.

Let me put this as simply as possible: This mouthwash destroys your sense of taste. Not just immediately after you spit it out, (it ruins it then too, since water tasted strange when I had a drink before bed) but the next morning as well. I COVERED my eggs in ketchup, yet the normally puckering taste of a mouthful of ketchup was missing. I ate kiwis, pineapple, apple, tea, and nothing. It was like a mouthful of sawdust, or water, or watery sawdust.

About 12 hours after the rinsing, I finally started to regain some taste. I looked up the “active” ingredient in Crest Pro-Health online, called cetylpyridinium chloride. This is what the Materials Safety and Data Sheet has to say about this ingredient: “Toxic if swallowed. Very toxic by inhalation. May cause severe eye irritation. Respiratory and skin irritant,” with a large TOXIC warning at the top of the page. I’m sure the concentration in this product is low enough to be harmless in a single dose, but imagine years of using this? Hopefully this won’t be on the market long enough for that to be possible.

Joseph Adams says:

This is easily the most disturbing thing I’ve ever had happen to me. I’ve never had side-effects like this from ANY over the counter medicine, much less an oral product. My bottom teeth now have visible brown spots between them and I’m worried that they won’t come off (or that it’ll cost me a lot of money to remove them). I don’t think I’ve ever felt so screwed over like this before… this is simply inexcusable. Crest should not be allowed to have a product like this on the market without a huge sticker warning you about its side-effects.

Sadly I don’t think people will see this, and they too will get brown garbage in between their teeth. No one googles or looks up mouth wash on Amazon, though I sure wish I did now…

Has this happened to you?

Crest Pro-Health Rinse [Amazon]
Healthy, Beautiful Smiles for Life [Ask Metafilter]
Top Oral Health Products Under $20: Crest Pro-Health Rinse (Read the comments) [Associated Content)

Comments

1. girly says:

Disgusting!

2. Bladefist says:

wow thanks for the heads up

3. nacio says:

wow i was going to buy a bottle and i did see the brown spots in my teeth wtf

4. JeffreyJR says:

Don’t know about the brown spots, but I can vouch for the loss of taste. It usually only lasts a short while, and get worse the longer I keep the mouthwash in my mouth. It’s not a total loss of taste, just the inability to taste salt.

5. Rectilinear Propagation says:

Holy *bleepity bleep*!

How is it we haven’t heard this before?!?!

6. girly says:

She must have accidentally tried Crest Pro-Heath, the mouthwash that makes you look like you just ate a candy bar.

7. MaliBoo Radley says:

I have a bottle of this stuff in my bathroom. I use it. I’ve never had a problem like the one’s listed above. However, I think I will pour it out just in case.

8. Skrizzy says:

Shit I just bought a bottle of the stuff today. Time to return it. Thanks Consumerist!

9. warf0x0r says:

Dumping the bottle when I get home, I never did mind the burning feeling of Listerine.

10. brianala says:

Is it possible that the mouthwash works too well, killing off even the beneficial bacteria in the mouth and letting the bad bacteria populations explode?

I’m just curious as to what’s really going on here, and whether it’s something in the mouthwash itself doing the damage or some other mechanism.

11. DrGirlfriend says:

Unbelievable. Thanks for the heads up on this.

12. Jim Fletcher says:

Wait… in the South it might make you more attractive… can the stains be differentiated from chewing tobacco stains?

13. gorckat says:

cetylpyridinium chloride

Googling that brings up a lot of sites talking about its use in mouthwashes and its antibacterial properties.

Wikipedia mentions the stains as well :[en.wikipedia.org]

14. Anonymous says:

Was this stuff made in China by any chance?

15. bzr_wzr says:

I used a bottle of this stuff a few months ago and, while I never got any brown spots, I definitely know what these people are talking about when it comes to losing the ability to taste. In my case, it lasted about an hour or two and spicy foods seemed to help bring it back (even if they did taste like crap!).

16. HootieMac says:

@girly: You gets a +1.

17. gorckat says:

Oh- and one of the sites Google listed on the first page was a study showing the amount of the chemical needed to be beneficial was way higher than in these mouthwashes.

18. banks says:

Brown spots in teeth are typically indicative of long-term exposure to excessive fluoride, leading to spots of fluorapatite in the hydroxyapatite enamle. If the spots are indeed due to over-fluoridization of the teeth, no mechanical cleaning process will remove them – the only hope is that the fluoride will leach out over time. While I am loathe to blame the consumer, I would be interested to know whether the people complaining had used the product according to the label instructions.

19. wallapuctus says:

Damn, this crap has been sitting in my bathroom for a while. We bought it because my girlfriend had a toothache and Listerine was too much for her. Thankfully the bottle is still 95% full! Time to throw it in the garbage.

20. Terek Kincaid says:

A wikipedia article linked to Crest’s own homepage:

[www.crest.com]

Lol, no lawsuit for you! They already know and explain why: it’s got an antimicrobial in it, instead of using harsh chemicals to kill (like Listerine). Basically, they use a medical approach to kill bacteria, instead of a chemical one, and that’s why it doesn’t burn. However, I know tetracycline can stain kids’ teeth brown; maybe this is similar.

So the common sense advice is: if it stains your teeth brown, stop using it! The brown will go away after a while if you brush. Use Listerine instead. Case closed.

Oh, and don’t always buy into the MSDS. Read the handling procedures for salt (NaCl). Hilarious stuff. Remember, water is toxic, too.

21. no.no.notorious says:

can’t taste anything? thats soooo scarey!!! wtf!

22. ChuckECheese says:

The early incarnation of this mouthwash (about 2 years ago) was very dark blue in color. In fact, it stained my tongue and lips blue after a few uses, so I trashed it. I’ve noticed that the product is a paler blue color now. How fortunate that I missed out on the brown highlights.

Cetylpyridinium Chloride (CPC) has been used in mouthwashes for a long time. Think Cepacol. I think it’s even in Scope. CPC probably isn’t the reason for the brown here. All antimicrobials are poisonous, because that’s what they do–they kill critters. So don’t jump to conclusions about one ingredient, and don’t be surprised that a disinfectant is poison. It could be any of a number of ingredients in the mouthwash giving you skankmouth.

23. arch05 says:
  24. deedub113 says:

I think I read somewhere that the chemical in it has some effect on the teeth that if you drink coffee or dark colas it holds the stains longer on the teeth. I used it for a little while and did notice that certain foods were hard to taste the next morning.

Back to good old listerine for me!

25. stuny says:

My dental hygenist recommended the Pro Health because my gums were receding and she said Listerine exascerbates the problem. I noticed the brown on my teeth and assumed it was from coffee, but giving it some thought, I hadn’t drank coffee for months.

Next visit (same office, different hygenist), she asked me about my mouthwash and told me that was the cause of the brown stains and I should switch back to Listerine. When I told her what the previous hygenist said, she told me the other woman was wrong.

How are we supposed to make informed decisions if there is so much discrepenancy from the ones we trust as experts.

I have now stopped going to the dentist, stopped brushing my teeth, and use no mouthwash. While the stains are getting worse, at least I now know why! :)

26. XianZhuXuande says:

Wow… and this is a product I might have purchased, too…

I can’t believe Crest isn’t even offering refunds. They should be volunteering to pay for the dental cleanings which result from use of such a terrible product (not to mention the product should be pulled from store shelves immediately). I hope they get hit with a nasty class action over this.

27. cakesandsteaks says:

I was going to submit this last week but got lazy.

Here’s an article:
    [www.associatedcontent.com]

For more horror stories:
    [andywibbels.com]

Long story short, they spent millions developing the mouthwash and toothpaste and have no intention of removing it from the market (or at a minimum putting a warning label on it) until they at least recoup their costs.

For me, the brown spots occurred after 4 months of usage (mostly on my bottom 4 front teeth). I used the Pro-Health toothpaste and the Target branded Pro-Health mouthwash. It was scary, it looked like I had cavities on my teeth, except they didn’t hurt. I looked like a meth-head without the fun doing drugs part. Fortunately since I’ve stopped using the product my Tom’s toothpaste has helped remove some of the buildup, but I’m definitely going to need my dentist to remove the remainder.

Does anyone know of a good alternative to Glide dental floss? After what they did to me, I want to boycott all Crest products.

28. homerjay says:

I switched from Mentadent toothpaste to Crest ProHealth last year and went to see my dentist for a cleaning a few months later. She told me it was doing damage to my teeth and gumline and I was to throw it out immediately. I never bled so much at a cleaning. The next visit I was back to normal. Crest is some f’d up stuff these days.

29. ptkdude says:

I had the same loss of taste sensation when I tried Crest Pro Health Rinse. I stopped using it and it took about a week to come back.

30. Me - now with more humidity says:

If it’s any consolation, taste buds regenerate every 90 days or so. I’m dealing with a similar issue from a medication.

31. Toof_75_75 says:

@stuartny:
    LOL I hope you are kidding.

32. rewinditback says:

just an FYI – Consumer reports had a thing on the pro-health toothpaste saying the active ingredients caused to stain teeth more than the whitening effects of other chemicals/materials in the product.

They already warned many consumers about this garbage.

Odd thing is – when i used it in the past, blue chunks would appear when i rinsed. how foul… it somehow gelatinized (is that a word) when i’d rinse!

33. darkclawsofchaos says:

hmm… a great idea for a toxicology report, the presentation on BPA went awesome, let see what I could find out about this, thanks consumerist, to the internets!

34. deedub113 says:

@rewinditback: I had the blue chunks too!! It was sick!!!

35. disavow says:

Good thing it’s not Mackinaw peach season.

36. AMetamorphosis says:

CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT ANYONE ?

37. joltdude says:

Iv had no problems with Crest Pro Health other then a slight loss of taste for a few hours after rinsing.. Iv had less problems with it then Listerine (which tends to cause issues… The side effect people are seeing with the Crest product is a similar side effect to the prescription Peridex (Chlorhexadine Gluconate) with the staining/some loss of taste … a professional cleaning *should* remove it…or try baking soda (this worked for me, your milage may vary)

38. girly says:

@HootieMac, The Somewhat Less Angry Twins Fan: thanks! I needed one today.

39. noquarter says:

@banks: While I am loathe to blame the consumer, I would be interested to know whether the people complaining had used the product according to the label instructions.

That’s an interesting statement given that you follow it up with blaming the consumer. How exactly do you think that they could have misused a product containing no fluoride in such a way that it lead to them getting too much fluoride?

40. Cogito Ergo Bibo says:

Niiiiice. Way to go, Crest! Next up: Crest Toothpaste with whole sugar grains for extra scrubbing action.

41. Said Not says:

Hey everyone it’s Monique the original poster. I am glad to help prevent you all from getting Crest Crud.

@bzr_wzr: you’ve given me hope! I can’t imagine not tasting anything for 90 days. I’ll be eating buffalo wings wrapped in chili peppers for dinner. :D

42. axiomatic says:

@stuartny: Same EXACT thing happened to me. One hygienist SWORE by this Crest crap and the actual dentist said “Listerine Listerine Listerine.”

43. kellsbells says:

My boyfriend SWEARS by Crest Pro-Health toothpaste.It uses silicates as an abrasive to get your teeth white. I used one tube of it, but stopped because I didn’t like the taste. Afterward I googled it, to see what was being said about it, and I saw the news about the brown teeth (from BOTH products, the toothpaste and the mouthwash). The mouthwash has been sitting in my cupboard, seal unbroken, for over a year.

44. ekoshyun says:

I want my moneys back, Crest. And I’m dumping this stuff once I get home.

45. BuddyGuyMontag says:

I had the same “blue chunks” when using Crest Pro-Health, plus the “white gunk buildup” on my tongue. Back to Listerine for me.

46. loganmo says:

Ive been using this stuff one or twice a day since it came out awhile ago-no brown stains for me.

47. KenSPT says:

Well, I know of a good prank to play on my roommate …

48. Rectilinear Propagation says:

@terekkincaid: I don’t think putting it on their web site protects them from a lawsuit. First of all, the page doesn’t mention people being unable to taste anything at all. Secondly, it is not reasonable to expect that everyone who wants to buy their product will go to the web site first.

This information needs to be on the bottle.

49. Twilly says:

I’m dumping mine when I get home. Back to Scope.

50. Twilly says:

I’m also checking my teeth in my compact, right now. Maybe I just haven’t noticed spots….

51. Roadkill says:

Does this apply to the Pro-Health toothpaste as well?

52. Rectilinear Propagation says:

@axiomatic: Did either have freebies from the company who’s product they were recommending?

53. spryte says:

@deedub113: Me too, it always creeped me out. I’ve had a bottle of this stuff for a while – I don’t use mouthwash regularly, only if I’m having a particularly bad mouth day that brushing doesn’t seem to help. I’ve never had the brown spots, but like others here, I think I may just quit while I’m ahead and toss the stuff out. Creepy…

54. banks says:

@noquarter:
    Oh, consumerist, the only place where it is physically impossible for a consumer to do any wrong, to the extent that even asking the question invokes chin-quivering rage. Seriously, is it beyond the realm of possibility for people to have used the product in a non-label manner? It took me a week of using my current mouthwash twice a day before I noticed that the label specified once a day.

55. I don’t trust any of these big name chemical mouthwashes or toothpastes. There are so many bad things in them, from the Lauryl Sulfates to the Sodium Saccharines.

Do you really think these companies care about your health? If they did, no toothpaste would have fluoride in it.

56. trujunglist says:

Nice catch. I’m a Listerine guy though.

57. Said Not says:

@ Roadkill: Yes it does apply to the toothpaste. You’re better off using Playdough.

58. girly says:

@axiomatic: I might swear too if it discolored my teeth. (sorry)

and as for putting sugar for ‘scrubbing': [www.veoh.com] (Hedley & Wyche from SNL)

59. brianala says:

My dentists and orthodontists over the years have never advised me to use anything other than water to rinse out my mouth, so long as I’m brushing properly.

It seems like that stuff is just overkill.

60. yesteryear says:
  61. johnarlington says:

This applies to the tooth paste as well. I just called the wife and told her to throw out the 4 Costco purchased tubes we just got. To think I’ve been brushing my kids teeth with this crap for 2 weeks.

An additional frustration is that if the cap is left off, as children often do, the tube will leak out all over your counter.

62. noquarter says:

@banks: Your hyperbole aside, you failed to answer my question:

63. milty45654 says:

@brooksosheffield: do us a favor and never visit or retire to the South…

64. Rectilinear Propagation says:

@banks: Unless I’m reading this: [en.wikipedia.org] wrong damage from dental fluorosis has to happen when you’re a kid.

65. rachaeljean says:

When I first read the title to this post, I immediately thought, “Oh, BS! I love that stuff!” as I pictured dark brown polka-dots.

Then I read it – specifically the part about the brown being inbetween the teeth. And I thought back to 2 or 3 cleanings ago when the dentist said I had the first stage of periodontisis (forgive my spelling of that…), and that my gums were receding. My Grandmother had full dentures at 40, so this freaked me out and caused me to kick my already pretty good oral hygiene routine into overdrive.

Fast forward to September 2007 – I switched dentists due to a move… I put on my new patient info that I was concerned about disease. This dentist looked at me like I was crazy and said it was obvious I took great care of my teeth and gums.

I have been using the Pro-Health rinse since it came out, and have loved it… I have always hated the burn of Listerine. Now, however, I wonder if my gums have receded because of it. Also, the other day I was flossing and did noticed how BROWN my teeth were in between, and thought to myself “Wow, I’m glad my cleaning is coming up soon.”

Anyway…I think I will switch back to Listerine and see if the brown goes away. That will be the only way to tell for sure!

66. Chris Walters says:

This dental student gives an explanation he says he heard from a sales rep:

We talked to the Proctor and Gamble rep yesterday about Crest Pro Health rinse. He said that there is in fact a problem with staining associated with it. There is a new green colored wintergreen? flavor available which doesn’t have as much of a problem as the blue flavor. What the rep said was that Crest was so focused on getting the right color blue for the product that they lost sight of the fact that the dye is too dark / strong. After using some people’s mouths look blue… this goes away. Anything that is on the surface of your teeth or in the interproximals gets stained blue and this is what the “blue chunks” are that you spit out after using it.

If you use it these blue chunks can become trapped in interproximals and pick up stains. I have classmates who have seen this on patients during prophys. My suggestion would be if you are going to use pro health rinse, make sure your brush well and floss so you don’t get staining from the pro healh rinse, until proctor and gamble can fix the dye they use.

In a follow-up post he writes:

I wouldn’t say it is permanent… but a classmate of mine did a prophy on his dad (who is a dentist) and said getting it off was tough… but then again we don’t have a ton of prophy experience yet, so take that with a grain of salt. It is most definetely not permanent though. It would bother me though. I haven’t used any of the pro health rinse samples I have gotten yet, so I have a ton of it lying around. I will be sure to brush and floss before using it.

67. Kevmas says:

Ew, I am dumping mine. I also had the odd blue chunks when I would was my mouth out. Nasty stuff.

68. theblackdog says:

@homerjay: So what are you using now? Perhaps it’s time that I switch back to Colgate.

69. kabes says:

So they spent millions developing this? Wow… does the very slight burning sensation of anti-septic mouthwash really bother people that much? To me it lets me know its working… :D I rinse until it no longer burns, usually around 30 sec.

I’ve also been using sensodyne pro-namel toothpaste and the stuff really works. No sensitivity from hots, colds, sweets, or contact plus its supposed to reduce acid wear from stuff such as soda.

70. PicketFence says:

@rewinditback: Wow, I thought I was crazy when I noticed small blue ‘chunks’ when I rinsed with Crest Pro-Health. Glad I wasn’t alone…

Also, my husband’s white fillings turned dark brown after using it.

71. jmjonesjr says:

I started using the stuff after a softball accident sent me to the dentist. He recommended it to me. I never noticed the brown spots, but just didn’t really like the taste of it. I soon switched back to listerine after the Crest stuff was gone. I also purchased the pro health toothpaste. It winds up with the same weird taste afterwards. I was planning on switching back anyway, but this is a slam dunk now.

72. wackyvorlon says:

Regarding the MSDS: Do bear in mind that alcohol has very similar warnings. The dosage makes the poison.

73. amv09 says:

@rewinditback: yeahh i found blueish chunks too when i rinsed my mouth… i’m really glad i read this!

74. MumblesFumbles says:

That’s it for me, no more Crest brand family of products.

75. mrmysterious says:

Wow, I’m buying new toothpaste and mouthwash today.

76. sashazur says:

I have been using this for a few months and have noticed ZERO problems. It does seem gentler than regular alcohol-containing mouthwash.

The stuff I have problems with isn’t fancy mouthwash, it’s fancy toothpaste. I just use plain old Crest that just fights cavities. Anything that also claims to whiten, freshen, or fight germs just leaves my mouth feeling raw.

77. The Porkchop Express says:

@brianala: Actually had that happen after getting my tongue peirced back in the day. Over used the mouthwash even watered down and my tongue started to change colors and my breath got really bad.
    The people at the peircing shop warned me about it too.

78. miguelggarcia says:

I knew I wasn’t the only one! After a couple of weeks using that mouthwash I noticed a “brownish” color on my teeth and couldn’t find a reason.
    A couple of days after using it, the brown is gone. Too bad I’ll have to go back to Listerine… I really hate the burn!

79. taber says:

Not to mention that there’s no research supporting that a cetylpyridinium chloride mouth rinse has any advantages over a more traditional product. See:

Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2007 Aug; 34(8): 658-67
    American Journal of Dentistry 2005 Jul;18 Spec No: 29A-34A
    American Journal of Dentistry 2005 Jul;18 Spec No: 15A-17A.

And keep in mind that the final study listed there was actually sponsored and conducted by Procter & Gamble, used only 78 subjects, and had this as its conclusion:

“This randomized, controlled comparative clinical trial demonstrated that rinsing twice daily with the experimental alcohol-free 0.07% CPC rinse provides antiplaque and antigingivitis efficacy similar to that of the positive control EO rinse, a recognized antiplaque and antigingivitis mouthrinse that contains alcohol.”

Lovely.

80. bohemian says:

Getting the color blue they want is more important than making a product that worked properly.

81. shiftless says:

This happened to me as well. It can also cause sores to form in the back of your throat. What this shit does, is it has an acid 1,000 times stronger than Orange Juice in it and the acid levels in your mouth remain raised for HOURS AFTERWARD!!!

I complained to Crest and they PAID for my cleaning IN FULL. CREST PRO DEATH!!! This stuff is NOT SAFE.

82. stubblyhead says:

I have used this stuff in the past and never had any problems with it like this; I would use it again too.

83. dwinn says:

While I did notice the between-teeth staining with the blue and green “colors” of the mouthwash, I’ve switched to the clear “nighttime mint” variety and noticed that the staining and other related issues have stopped.

84. rachaeljean says:

@taber:

Well, I think the “advantage” is that it basically achieves the same end as Listerine without the burn.

85. scarletvirtue says:

Thanks for the warning! I’ll keep with my ACT – even if it’s for pre-brushing.

@girly: I loved that commercial! And you definitely get a +5 for that, and the “Crest Pro-Heath” comment!

86. deedrit says:

OMFG! Its true! MY teeth started to get the same browning effect just recently. I am going to return this shit to Costco for a refund!

At least my next dental cleaning is scheduled for 4/1 and I can bleach my teeth if I have to.

87. lpranal says:

Two words.

Hydrogen. Peroxide.

half and half with normal mouthwash. Seriously, the only thing i’ve ever used that’s actually worked (and, nicely, the cheapest.)

88. c_gaun says:

I’ve only used mouthwash once in my life for about a week after I got my tongue pierced (and I hated it.) Rinsing with just water after brushing seems to work for me.
    I honestly don’t even think I could use mouthwash everyday as my teeth are so bloody sensitive and other than being sensitive, my teeth are ‘normal’ (no cavities, etc.)

89. caroline67 says:

It happened to me! For the life of me I couldn’t figure out what was causing the horrible staining on my front bottom teeth. It looks like I’ve got smokers stain, but I don’t smoke!

90. Sir Winston Thriller says:

I’ve used both the toothpaste and mouthwash since they came out, and haven’t had any problems. I have very acidic saliva and my dentist recommended them. I will say that my gingivitis has gone away (due to better dental hygiene and teeth cleaning every three months) and, I think, the Crest. However, my niece can’t use them because they make her mouth swell.

91. Maniacmous says:

I didn’t have the brown spotting problem, but I def. had severe loss of taste for right around 12 hours after using it each and every time I did – stopped using it after a few different tries because I just couldn’t handle that anymore.

92. reznicek111 says:

Any chance that the ingredients in this mouthwash react badly with certain foods or chemicals, causing the staining and loss of taste? An earlier commenter mentioned that they’d read coffee and tea stain more strongly after using Crest Pro-Health mouthwash. Considering the laundry list of ingredients you find in most processed foods, I wouldn’t be surprised if this was (at least partly) the cause.

93. Jim Fletcher says:

@milty45654:
    It was a {failed} attempt at humor. I already live in the South.

94. redhelix says:

@disavow: Heh, that made me just start cracking up in a dead-quiet office. Whoops.

I used to use this stuff when I was looking for alternatives to Listerine. For about an hour after using it, my mouth would feel like I just ate 2 or 3 Sucrets. (Lozenge w/ numbing agent.) It’s pretty terrible that some people react to it this way; crest should recall the product immediately.

95. quieterhue says:

Wow, scary stuff. I bought a bottle of the Crest Pro Health mouthwash several months back and have used occasionally. I’ve never experienced any of these side effects, but now that I know the risks the rest of the bottle is going down the drain.

96. greenred says:

Here’s a story from last year about this.

[cincinnati.bizjournals.com]

97. iblamehistory says:

Oddly, this mouthwash burns my mouth just about as much as Listerine. I decided to stick with Listerine when I realized that the Pro Health stuff causes to me to wake up in the morning with a whole mess in my mouth: I’m no doctor, but it seems as if it causes layers of skin in my mouth to slough off. I’d spend a few minutes each morning (painlessly) pulling chunks of dead, white skin out of my mouth, and I’d find random bits throughout the day.

Before I started using a special toothpaste from my dentist, I used the Pro health stuff, as well… as someone said earlier, when I spit, I’d notice blue chunks almost as if it had gelatinized in my mouth. I also had the skin problem with the toothpaste, but nothing major.

I haven’t used either in a long time, and I never noticed any staining (granted, I didn’t look for it, but it sounds like it would be obvious). I was just genuinely creeped out by what seemed to be the inside of my mouth peeling away.

98. girly says:

@scarletvirtue: yay! hehe

99. @banks: The product contains Stannous Fluoride, which, if not rinsed, will leave brown stains on your teeth. It’s in all Crest Pro-Health products. I use the toothpaste and the dental rinse. If you brush for more than 1 minute (which you should be doing anyway) the paste doesn’t stain. If you rinse with the mouthwash and then rinse with water, it will not stain. Flossing before brushing is also a good idea.

I enjoy the use of both products, have not had any taste issues or any staining issues. DON’T drink the stuff and DO rinse thoroughly. Do be a do bee and don’t be a don’t bee. That’s why they print directions on the damn bottle.

If you are a smart consumer, you read instructions. If you are a likely victim, you just rinse and go to bed with some strong chemicals in your mouth and wake up with brown teeth and no sense of taste. You probably also have a partial interest mortgage.

100. shortcake says:

My fiance is one of those Amazon commentors. It was absolutely disgusting. It looked like he hadn’t brushed in weeks, even though he’s meticulous about his oral hygiene. It took his dentist forever to get it all off and there was still some left afterwards.

101. axiomatic says:

@Rectilinear Propagation: Not that I was aware of, you could not buy either at the office, so I doubt it. However, I am now taking the dentists advice and the Listerine works. The Crest…. not so much.

102. sgodun says:

Listerine forever, baby.

103. Rupan says:

I use Act Restoring. Looked it up and sure enough it has the same chemical that Pro-Health does. My dentist said he noticeda couple of dark spots in between my teeth that were the beginnings of cavaties. I am wondering now if those spots are simply this brown staining.

Time to switch to Listerine.

104. noquarter says:

@PotKettleBlack: The product contains Stannous Fluoride

Crest says otherwise (from #20 here):

Crest Pro-Health Toothpaste has been uniquely formulated with the Polyfluorite Systemâ„¢ consisting of stannous fluoride, an anti-microbial agent, and sodium hexametaphosphate, a stain- and tartar-fighting ingredient.

105. Sunflower1970 says:

I wonder if this affects the Listerine less intense flavors, too. I had the heavy brown stains between my teeth and my bottom teeth were all brown. I thought this was just from drinking too much tea! Recently got them cleaned and all was well at the dentist…

I normally don’t use the Crest Pro Health toothpaste, but had been using another version of Crest toothpaste (Tartar control I think) which is when I began to notice the stains, and which is when I switched to the Pro Health toothpaste.

106. Sasquatch says:

I’ve used this stuff, and the only weird thing I found was that
    after I spit, I noticed a lot of little blue crystals that were
    obviously not a part of the product in my sink. I use Listerine (or
    it’s generic equivalent) and will definitely avoid this product in the
    future. Thanks again Consumerist.

107. cooler_d00d says:

I’m also a user of Crest Pro-Health and I did notice browning between my front teeth, but i thought it was just stains due to coffee/tea/food…

I can still taste food though…

We definitely need more info on this.

really scary about not being able to taste food :(

108. FredTheGreat says:

F**K I really liked this stuff, and just bought a new bottle a big one. Well down the drain it goes when I get home. Also I thought the blue chunks were a good thing you know getting the stuff brushing leaves behind, because I’ve tried brushing for like five minutes and I din’t get hardly any chunks as opposed to a bunch after brushing for two minutes.

109. SwampAssJ says:

I stopped using that stuff because I would lose my sense of taste for upwards of 6 hours after. I assumed I was just a wierd side effect and tossed it out. Guess it wasn’t just me, upside was no brown spots.

110. OnceWasCool says:

This has to be BS. I use this stuff EVERY DAY and no ill effects yet.’lkjhagftiahw[g 0ahoashgawrhg;oawyapw9rgh aw08fygavousgvhao;sfmv,,,,………………….(just kidding)

111. yesteryear says:

a lot of prescription strength mouthwashes (my dr. gave me one after a root canal) can cause your teeth to stain if you use them every day. typically with peridex, which i was prescribed, the dentist will tell you not to use it for more than a few weeks… and my dentist actually told me that if you drink water or put anything in your mouth for about 30 minutes after using the product you’ll have an awful medicine taste in your mouth for the rest of the day. if crest is using prescription strength stuff in an OTC product, that’s not cool. people need to know this before they buy.

112. starrion says:

Wow! The sheer number of people having this issue is pretty scary. Does P & G expect this staining issue to just go unnoticed? Do they have a Mandatory Binding arbitration agreement attached when you break the seal?

113. dsean says:

@AMetamorphosis: What are your damages? Brown spots on teeth are pretty obnoxious, but not really actionable. A class action would result in a huge payday for plaintiff’s lawyers, and a coupon for 75 cents off a Crest product for anyone else.

114. rmosler says:

Ok People… This is a little out of hand. The product has cetyl pyridinum chloride. This is not a new product, it is also the active ingredient in Scope mouthwash. The white stuff (or blue stuff) that you get on your tongue is the CPC, it clumps together because it is a quaternary amine and they don’t operate as well when there is a bunch of organic matter in the mouth. (read bacteria on your tongue) Brush your teeth first. Brush your tongue. The people talking about the MSDS need to realize that there is a dose-response relationship! To get rid of the stains, use a good whitening toothpaste… something with a lot of hydrated silica, and/or sodium hexametaphosphate. You guys who are dumping this stuff down the drain thinking that it will kill you need to settle down.

115. rmosler says:

@Twilly: GAAAHHH!! There is no reason for this hysteria… Check the back of your Scope bottle… it is the same main ingredient.

116. babaki says:

if you look at crests site, they have a section about the staining, its due to microbial agent, and they said it will come off with regular brushing. i have not had the brown spots, but the taste thing did happen. guess thats what happens when you swish chemicals around in there. i stopped using because of the taste issue. i use peroxyl now.

117. Parting says:

Wow, if I worked for Listerine, that would be a perfect ad :)

Kills bacteria and DOES NOT turn your teeth brown like Crest ;)

118. rmosler says:

@kellsbells: The active ingredient in the toothpaste is stannous fluoride. It is well a great type of fluoride, but has fallen out of favor because in the past it caused staining of teeth. There are now regulations that any product containing stannous fluoride must let you know that they could stain your teeth. Crest Pro-health toothpaste contains stannous fluoride but it also contains both hydrated silica and sodium hexametaphosphate which reverse the staining from the flouride. I don’t work for crest or anything, but I don’t like to see this much hysteria about dental products.

119. rmosler says:

@yesteryear: Peridex contains chorhexidine gluconate. That does cause some pretty good staining. CPC is different and it works differently.

120. The staining I can understand, but the loss of taste… Most of what you “taste” isn’t from your tongue, but from your nose.

The tongue has four zones that taste, very simply:

sour, salty, sweet, and bitter

So while it could possibly have a (hopefully short term) effect of diminished taste, I find it hard to believe (from one of the amazon postings cited) that everything tasted like sawdust. Just because you can’t taste the “sour” or “sweet” of a grapefruit, you can still taste it almost as much as you can smell it.

Still, the stained teeth….. This wouldn’t be a British product, would it?

121. Frostberg says:

I havent had a problem. Its funny how so many people are dumping their crest out because they read a few bad reactions on the internet. I’m sure they sell millions and are bound to have a few side effects related to the people and not the product. I’m happy with mine!

122. LatherRinseRepeat says:

Listerine Citrus or Cool Mint for me. Those two don’t burn as much as the regular Listerine.

123. radiogrrl says:

I have used the green Pro-Health for about 6 months and have not noticed any problems (other than it’s blue when I spit it out). But to be safe, I will use up what I have and go back to Listerine.

124. brookeln says:

@lpranal: That’s exactly what I was going to say… use a hydrogen peroxide rinse! Mix it with half water and rinse. Get a clean mouth with no taste, no burning, and it’s cheap.

125. QuirkyRachel says:

Dang I just bought a bottle of this stuff!I used it once and I had *the worst* breath and taste in my mouth the next morning,so I haven’t used it since. Hmmm…

126. FangDoc says:

OK, dentist here…
    1) At my office, we’ve seen a handful of people who get the staining from Pro-Health mouthwash. I haven’t heard anything specific in the literature about it, but it seems to be a small percentage of the users, who due to a biochemical reaction or specific diet, are getting the stains. I haven’t seen anything terrible, just dark brown gumline staining. The hygienist cleans it off, we tell them to switch to Biotene (if there are reasons why they should stay away from alcohol, like dry mouth) or Listerine (if there aren’t), and it doesn’t come back. It’s not fluorosis or tetracycline staining (those can only happen while your teeth are forming in childhood) and it’s not brown spot lesions (warning signs that decay has tried to start). It’s similar to but not as bad as brown stains from Peridex/ Periogard (prescription rinses containing chlorhexidine.)

2) Pro-Health toothpaste has its own problems, namely that it has so many ingredients that a lot of people are allergic to one or more of the components, causing their gums to swell, turn glossy bright red, and peel like they’re sunburned. I don’t recommend Pro-Health toothpaste or Colgate Total toothpaste for that reason.

3) While not in any way downplaying anyone’s experiences or concerns (I’m very concerned about the reports of losing taste sensation) I think a lot of readers are overreacting. If you’ve been using the product without ill effects, you’re unlikely to suddenly develop them. I’m certainly going to think twice about recommending this product now that I’ve read this post, but I’m not going to dump out the bottle that’s sitting on the back of my toilet, because I’ve been using it for over a year now with no problems.

4) Scope isn’t antibacterial. It will mask your bad breath but won’t treat gingivitis. Currently there are no over-the-counter mouthwashes that are both antibacterial and fluoride-containing, because the ingredients react with one another in the bottle. ACT is fluoride but doesn’t have CPC or essential oils in it; Listerine, Biotene, Oasis, and Pro-Health are antibacterial but don’t have fluoride. There is a prescription mouthwash that has high enough levels of fluoride to be antibacterial but — guess what? — it contains stannous fluoride that causes brown stains on your teeth.

All I can say is that Crest better be sending out some really good, solid info to the dental offices, because otherwise they might as well discontinue it. I’m certainly not going to be recommending it anymore. It’s a shame, because we were all so happy to see a product we could recommend to people with dry mouth, alcoholics, children, post-op patients, etc.

127. moore850 says:

I for one will continue to use this product. I’m so incredibly gorgeous that without brown teeth, it is impossible for me to leave the house without being mobbed by women!

128. whatdoyoucare says:

My mom’s friend is a dentist. This is what he recommends: brush, floss and use Listerine.

129. picantel says:

Just poured ours down the drain also. I did not affect me as I am missing half my teeth already so there are no spaces in between to make brown.

130. Scudder says:

Check the message board on the website for another P&G product, Tide 2X Ultra. There are dozens of consumers complaining about hives after using the detergent to launder their clothes! Yikes!

131. Balisong says:

Eep D: Glad I was born with super-teeth and never have to try out products like this (never had a cavity – just lucky).

132. yesteryear says:

to all the dentists out there: do you recommend toms of maine products? i know this is a bit off topic, sorry.

133. lovelygirl says:

I’ve tried this, and I never had any of those side effects?? hasn’t this been on the market for a while?

134. slapstick says:

Is there a reason to use mouthwash other than chronic bad breath or something? I’m crazy about my teeth and brush and floss, but I never use mouthwash and have never had any problems with my teeth. Why use it?

135. pigeonpenelope says:

must have been made in china.

136. pigeonpenelope says:

@FangDoc: Thanks for the information. its nice to hear from a professional in this field.

137. Claystil says:

@PotKettleBlack: It’s not the stannous fluoride itself that stains, rather the stannous ion attracts certain food particles which then bond to and stain the enamel. I suspect two things: 1) those receiving stains are using the mouth rinse without prior brushing or even as a brush substitute and 2)most receiving stains consume a lot of coffee, tea, or other items with high quantities of staining ions. They’re also clearly not flossing as the majority of the stains seem to be found between teeth and near the gumline.

138. linoth says:

I’ve been using this for some time (around a year or more). No brown/yellow stains at all. It does leave behind some strange bright blue debris on my tongue, which I’ve always assumed was the mouth wash mixing with plaque from my tongue or trace amounts of mucus.

The Whitening Pro Health, on the other hand, tastes and smells horrible and irritated my throat in the space of two weeks to the point where I had to stop using it. Strange the none of those websites/the Consumerist article actually differentiates…

139. lestat730 says:

Weird, I’ve been using this stuff for months and have not experienced anything like this…

140. nbibler says:

My finacee and I just returned two bottles of this exact same stuff (Crest Pro-Health, Alcohol Free) last week to our local Sam’s Club. I had the same loss of taste as described above, although I likened the sensation more to the feeling of having badly burned my tongue (you know, that numb, slightly tingly, highly annoying feeling). That lasted for almost 24 hours after initial use. Needless to say, I didn’t use the product again and promptly returned it. We’ve had no discoloration, that we’ve noticed previously, but I’m going to double-check that now. :)

As an additional Consumerist-oriented comment, Sam’s Club promptly accepted the return, no questions asked, and gave us cash back for both bottles (with one opened and all). Kudos to them.

141. Transient says:

Yeah, this is a pain. I ran into more subtle staining than anything blatant after being recommended to this product from Listerine. As a previous poster mentioned, my dental hygienist recommended it because the lack of alcohol obviously is less prone to drying out your mouth. However, with all of the reported issues, I stopped using it altogether.

Another recommended product was Biotene – which is normally used to treat dry mouth. It claims strong germ fighting, but I’m really thinking of a return to Listerine.

142. sparklingpink says:

I already hate Crest for testing on animals anyways.

143. Mary says:

@yesteryear: I actually was just prescribed this today. The dentist said to use it every night for two weeks, and after that ONLY once a week. And to make sure not to eat or drink anything after and go straight to bed.

@sparklingpink: I just found out about that, so I’m already thinking this company is on the outs with me.

Sadly that might mean replacing my nice spinning toothbrush…

144. manchmal2 says:

IT’S NOT JUST THE MOUTHWASH. The TOOTH PASTE is what turned my teeth brown. Gross brown streaks and brown stains between my teeth. It’s horrible, and it happened overnight. I only used the tooth paste for about four days (on an electric tooth brush) and now my teeth look like I’ve got a 50-cup a day coffee habit. Plus, I have a filler in my front tooth from a chip, and it’s even DARKER on that part. Gross.

I can’t believe this product is still on the market. I have an appointment to get my teeth cleaned in a few weeks, and these stains better go away. I don’t even want to smile.

And I’m really glad to find a bunch of stuff about this online. I felt ridiculous googling “sudden brown spots on teeth,” but I was really worried about it. I still am.

145. FangDoc says:

@yesteryear: Tom’s of Maine products are good, as are the ones by The Natural Dentist. I personally only recommend the fluoride-containing toothpastes for most people. Their fluoride-free ones are great for little kids; children under 3 shouldn’t have fluoride toothpaste until they can reliably spit it all out.

soapbox alert:
    I just can’t buy into the various conspiracy theories about Communist mind control/ industrial waste disposal/ compulsory medication that the anti-fluoride lobby tries to push. The fact is that fluoride strengthens your enamel, reduces sensitivity, and helps to prevent root decay (increasingly common due to older people keeping their teeth, having gum recession, and being on medications that cause dry mouth.) This isn’t me drinking the Kool-Aid; this is peer-reviewed science and personal observation.
    end soapbox

But the natural fluoride-containing toothpastes and the mouthwash (esp. Tooth & Gum Tonic by The Natural Dentist) are great.

146. Techno Viking says:

Here is the tip for your guys. Stop using these chemicals. There are alternatives such as organic ones. They use plant extracts to do the same thing and are not very expensive. So go ahead and buy it and try it out. You will like it.

147. FangDoc says:

@slapstick: For a lot of people, an antibacterial mouthwash picks up the slack for incomplete brushing and flossing. Most people don’t floss at all, but to quote George Michael, “Not everybody does it/ but everybody should.” (Sorry.)

It’s a lot easier for someone with poor dexterity, big fingers, or chronic laziness to swish with mouthwash than to floss properly around each and every tooth. And if you have dry mouth, gingivitis, or a sneaking suspicion that you might not be flossing properly around each and every tooth, the mouthwash will help kill plaque bacteria you didn’t physically dislodge with brush and floss. Also, it will help kill bacteria hiding in the crevices of your tongue and the surfaces of your tonsils, which you’re probably not brushing.

Ideally, you’re brushing AND flossing AND rinsing, twice a day, every day. Some genetically gifted people can get away with less without ramifications, but they’re the dental equivalent of the people who can eat a triple whopper every day and not gain weight.

148. hamsangwich says:

@terekkincaid:

Oh dear, where to start. I work for “Listerine”, the active ingredient in Crest Pro Health is positively charged, the rinse itself has substantivity, which means it sticks to the teeth. If after you rinse you drink coffee or tea (negatively charged) it can stick to the rinse, and that can cause the staining you are seeing. Listerine does not have substantivity.

Ultimately, looking for products with the ADA seal on the box will help ensure that you don’t run into problems like this. The ADA seal requires very specific independent clinical studies, so if the product doesn’t work, it won’t get the ADA seal.

149. slapstick says:

Thanks for the info, all these comments were getting me worried I’d been missing out on a vital step in my oral routine.

150. jarchie219 says:

No sweat folks. Crest is way ahead of you. Just use their Whitestrips when your teeth get too disgusting.

151. Skankingmike says:

WOW!

I hate the other stuff i only use this mouth wash since day one it came out. Perhaps this is an allergic recation to one of the ingrediants in the formula.

Personaly i’ve never had any problem nor my Fiance (personaly i’ve been using this for 1.5 years now)

Deffinatly listen to PotKettleBlack he knows what he’s talking about. I always rinse after i use any floride what’s the same reason the dentist makes you do it at his office.

Really it’s common sense. If you wash your floor with bleech do you not use water afterwards?

152. NoStyle says:

Go easy on them, they are just trying to bring back the good old days of incredibly toxic personal products.

Pass me the bottle of pure powdered MSG to sprinkle on my food.

153. ABA477 says:

ok…. everybody chill. I am a dentist…

I too have experienced staining associated with use of Crest pro-health mouthwash. The stain is brown and very difficult to remove and I had to clean my own teeth to get the stain off. Crest pro-health rinse is very effective at killing bacteria. The active ingredient is cetylpyridinium chloride which has substantive properties. This means that when you use it, the cetylpyridinium chloride sticks to your teeth to continue to protect against bacteria that cause gum disease and cavities. This layer of protection may also promote staining in some people, especially those who drink coffee/tea/colas and those who smoke. The most effective oral rises are prescription and contain chlorhexidine, which also is substantive, and also stains teeth. Patients with periodontitis and patients who have just undergone surgeries in the mouth are often given chlorhexidine rinses because benefits of the product outweigh the risk of staining. However, normal people should not have to deal with such a negative side effect!

Personally, I was a bit pissed off about the whole ordeal. While the stuff is great at killing bacteria, it has a major side effect that Crest did not disclose.

I don’t know anything about the numbness or taste loss some people are reporting, but those “blue chunks” everyone is freaking out about are harmless and simply due to the product’s interaction with saliva. These “blue chunks” do not stain teeth or get stuck in teeth.

154. shiftless says:

Just to add another comment here, this stuff stained my teeth with just a couple of uses. Also, sores broke out all over my mouth. I was using the product exactly as directed.

The way this product works is the chemicals in this stuff causes a reaction in your mouth which boosts the acid levels in your mouth to a very high level for hours on end, which is what kills your taste buds.

While staining will be removed from regular brushing, you need a professional to get rid of the crap in-between your teeth. I was mortified as to what this rinse had done to my body.

I contacted Crest and they paid for my cleaning. Crest knows this product is worthless garbage.

155. magilacudy says:

@PotKettleBlack: That’s good for you. I followed the instructions to the letter, but still had my teeth stained. I don’t know why these product is still on the market. You would think that a product that does the opposite of what it’s supposed to do would be faulty. Even Crest knows about the problem:

[www.crest.com]

“I’ve noticed since I started using Crest Pro-Health mouthwash, that I have more tooth staining (from the dye in the rinse) than I have ever had. I have switched to brushing after using the rinse and timing the rinse to make sure it is only 30 seconds. Have you ever heard of this issue before?

Crest Pro-Health rinse Refreshing Clean Mint flavor does contain a blue dye. It is safe and will not permanently stain your teeth or tongue. In fact, it should wash away with normal eating and drinking. However, you might want to try Crest Pro-Health rinse Cool Wintergreen flavor, which does not contain blue dye.

156. yesteryear says:

@FangDoc: thanks. instead of taking the samples my dentist gave me as her recommendation i asked what she used herself, and she said tom’s. i’ve never heard of the natural dentist, but if its any cheaper than toms i might check it out!

157. Keter says:

May I make a positive suggestion for those of you worried about commercial mouthwash? Hydrogen peroxide. It’s germicidal. It whitens teeth. It doesn’t etch to your tooth enamel. It removes dead cells from your gums and tongue. It helps combat gingivitis. And it’s dirt cheap. I’ve been using it for five years now, and in combination with good brushing and a Water Pik appliance, my teeth and gums are in wonderful condition. BTW, fluoride can also cause brown spotting on teeth…look up fluoridosis. I quit using fluoride toothpaste nearly a decade ago when I noticed my gums would bleed when I was using fluoride toothpaste, and stop bleeding when I used a non-fluoride organic version…testing with different brands proved it was the fluoride. The brown could be coming from a chemical reaction between the fluoride left behind by the toothpaste (typically that would be in the thin plaque layer between teeth) and something in the mouthwash that is making the fluoride more chemically active.

158. jdwh212 says:

I’ve been using Crest Pro-Health mouthwash pretty much since it’s inception which is probably three years and I have never at all experienced any of the above problems. Maybe it’s because my regimin consists of a) floss. b) rinse w/ the mouthwash (the blue “bits” or whatever you wanna call it is actually the mouthwash ‘catching’ anything you remove from between your teeth or whatever is on the surface = good thing. c) brush. I have always brushed AFTER using the mouthwash so that may be why I haven’t experienced any staining from the product. BTW, my toothpaste is Arm + Hammer which can’t be beat!

159. jhickner says:

Wow… just wow. After reading this I had to run to the bathroom to confirm that I do indeed have a bottle of Crest Pro Health. I’ve been using this stuff for a few days. Yesterday I noticed new, brown stains between my bottom teeth and along the gumline. Strangely there are no marks on my top teeth. I’ve been wondering what the heck could have caused this, but I never would have suspected my mouthwash! This stuff is horrible! Crest definitely has a lawsuit coming their way!

160. marcus1060 says:

Quick Consumerist! Do something!

161. frankie56 says:

There are numerous and VERY common adverse side effects that are associated with this product, including brown stains, loss of taste, excessive tissue sloughing, and inflammation of the mouth and gums. Crest, on their website, blames the staining on the “blue dye” in the rinse, but they know full well that the real culprit is the main ingredient — a chemical compound known as CPC that is also used to make certain pesticides (see the wiki page on CPC for more info and links).

CPC is also an ingredient in certain other over-the-counter mouth rinses (such as Cepacol). However, when Crest removed the alcohol they JACKED UP the CPC — in fact, the rest product contains 40% more CPC (by concentration) than the Cepacol. And the results have been disastrous. Despite the high prevalance of stains (even for users who strictly follow product guidelines) and other problems, Crest REFUSES to put a warning on the bottle regarding the side effects. A P&G rep even admitted that the reason why they don’t put a warning on the bottle is the concern that such a warning would negatively impact sales. This is corporate greed at its worst, and it’s shameful and unconscionable behavior from the suits at P&G.

My advice would be not to use any mouth rinse, unless you are being treated for gum disease under the guidance of a dental professional. However, if you do decide to use something, either use an all-natural product (killing the germs in your mouth with a pesticide is not a good idea), or at least use a product that has been tested and approved by the ADA (such as Listerine).

Again, I would just like to emphasize that I have discussed this problem with MANY RDH’s and dentists and this is a VERY COMMON problem with the Crest Pro-Health Rinse. Not every user will experience brown stains, but a very large percentage WILL.

162. HOP says:

i read somewhere that plain old water is as good as any mouthwash…..you can also use diluted peroxide…..

163. frankie56 says:

I have discussed this product with many RDH’s and dentists and this is a VERY COMMON problem with the Crest Pro-Health Rinse. Not every user will experience brown stains and/or significant loss of taste, but a large percentage will. Yet, Crest refuses to put a warning on the bottle regarding the potential side effects, out of the concern that such a warning would affect sales.

On their website, Crest also blames the staining problem on the “blue dye” in the rinse, but they know full well that the real culprit is the active ingredient — a chemical called CPC that is also used to make pesticides (see the wiki on CPC for more info and links). There are other over-the-counter rinses that contain CPC, such as Cepacol. However, when Crest removed the alcohol, they JACKED UP the CPC — in fact, the Crest rinse contains 40% more CPC (by concentration) than the Cepacol, and the results have been disastrous.

My advice would be to either use a all-natural product (rinsing your mouth out w/ a pesticide is not a good idea) or at least use a product that has been tested and approved by the ADA (such as Listerine).

Shame on P&G, this is corporate greed at its worst.

164. pearlywhites says:

It took about 3 months for the brown spots to appear, but by the fourth month of use, I had brown and black spots coming up from the gumline in between almost all my teeth. After researching Crest Pro Health on the internet I discovered a connection between this product and the deleterious effect that it was having on my teeth and immediately ceased using the mouthwash. My dentist has been successful in removing the bulk of the nasty stains with vigorous cleanings every 3 months, over the past 7 months, and I am hopeful that by the next visit, the stains will be gone. Crest has paid me for the extra dental visits. They stated to my dentist that they believe that there is some interaction between the product and the type of water (hard water versus soft water)that leaves these stains behind on the teeth.

165. Leah says:

If you want alcohol free mouthwash, Tom’s of Maine sells that. And Act Fluoride rinse has an alcohol free mouthwash version too.

166. WMeredith says:

Meh, I’m calling sensationalist BS, followed up by herd mentality, on this one. I’ve used the stuff for years and my wife is a dentist. This iss the only mouthwash she recommends.

167. Saboth says:

I can confirm, with 100% accuracy, this stuff will stain your teeth brown if you use it frequently, and leave it in your mouth overnight. I had brown stains between my teeth, on the fronts, etc, and I usually have a perfect smile. It took my dentist about an extra 20 minutes of polishing and scraping to remove it all, but thank god it all came out. They really need to put a warning label on this stuff. I mean…as far as killing bacteria, creating fresh breath…it is great, but do I want fresh breath and brown teeth?

168. SteKos says:

Yep, I can confirm the brown staining also. I’ve used several different types of mouthwash over the years, and this stuff was the ONLY one to cause the problem. At first I thought the staining was because of something like coffee drinking, but after reading the comments I stopped using it and went back to a store brand, and no more staining. I also posted a comment on Amazon about this. Still waiting for a “new and improved, now with less stains” version to come out.

169. pinkyracer says:

I went to a new dentist that came highly recommended, and she gave me a sample of this but warned that it had caused some discoloration in some people. I used it once, but figured I’d rather stick with Listerine, or use Toms of Maine if I want alcohol free. It sucks that she’s handing this stuff out to patients with only a mild warning, I’ll be passing this on.

170. Rectilinear Propagation says:

@kabes: I think you mean the horrible, intolerably intense burning sensation.

171. Her Grace says:

The toothpaste apparently does it, too. My dentist had a warning on the ceiling (so the patient would see it as their teeth were cleaned) about the toothpaste, specifically.

172. Rectilinear Propagation says:

@slapstick: I like using Listerine when I have start getting a cold. I have also found that it helps when my tonsils and/or uva swell up*.

(*The doctors do not know why the swelling happens, they think it’s an allergy.)

173. Rectilinear Propagation says:

@WMeredith: Booo.

174. Her Grace says:

@noquarter: Oh, god, please tell me that was ironic. You did read what you copied and pasted, right?

@PotKettleBlack: The product contains Stannous Fluoride

Crest says otherwise (from #20 here):

Crest Pro-Health Rinse is formulated using a different anti-microbial agent, cetylpyridinium chloride.”

175. noquarter says:

@Her Grace: It was not ironic.

Unlike you, I read the entire thing rather than just the first sentence. This discussion is about the Crest Pro-Health Rinse, which, rather than containing Stannous Fluoride

…is formulated using a different anti-microbial agent, cetylpyridinium chloride.

176. SithLibrarian says:

Hi all,
    Long time reader, first time poster.
    I just wanted to mention that I’ve been using this stuff for about six months and haven’t experienced anything described in the article.

177. cobweb says:

This happened to me! I used that brand and I’ve been fretting about the mysterious sorce of brown filth on my teeth! I started brushing 4 sometimes 5 times a day…I really can’t afford to go to the dentist right now…

178. kad9k says:

Haven’t seen this mentioned on here, but my dentist said Listerine is worthless and the only OTC mouthwash that kills bacteria is Breath Rx. I alternate it with the prescription stuff and have good results and no staining. They recently came out with a version for sensitive teeth, too.

179. sirjames9k says:

I bought some of this stuff the week it came out onto the market back in 2005. I used it fairly successfully for about 3 days before I started losing my sense of taste! I looked all over the internet for other people having the same effects, but just found one post buried in a forum. Glad to see this is finally making the news. How the hell can they sell this junk when so many people report side effects?

180. thegreathal says:

“I’ll be checking my toothpaste for that ingredient and telling everyone I know to do so as well. How the heck to you NOT change your product when it kills people’s sense of taste?”

Holy hell…I’ve been using the toothpaste version for some 8+ months because of the damn benefits claimed on the tube. I can confirm that frequently I have white film/gunk on my teeth caused by the toothpaste, but just hoped that was normal. Apparently it is “normal”, but that doesn’t mean good. Might as well have picked up Chinese lead.

181. Elliuotatar says:

I’ve been using crest toothpaste, but I thankfully haven’t tried this mouthwash. I used to use Colgate before switching to Crest, but I guess I’ll switch back now because I’m not going to support a company which puts profits above consumer safety.

182. oneTee says:

same thing happened to me. it wasn’t THAT disgusting…just small stains on the inside of my teeth…almost like you’d get a coffee stain or something. came right out when i went for my routine dentist cleaning. definitely not using it again though lol.

183. congoman says:

I first had this when I saw its “non-alchol” label. I was never a big mouth rinse guy. So I bought it. And I started noticing these brown rims around the gum and my teeth. I knew I started having it after I started using, but I could never put the two together.

184. Trose1794 says:

I was wondering where the stains were coming from. I’ve been using the mouthwash for several months now, and I’ve had this issue. My dentist had no idea about this. I’m going to tell him at my next cleaning. Also, I think more media attention is needed on this problem!

185. radio1 says:

Since this doesn’t happen to everyone, there must some other type of interaction going on.

186. espot says:

OK, here’s how it works…
    If you brush your teeth, and floss like you’re supposed to, you will not experience any staining. The stannous fluoride only stains when there is accumulated plaque or calculus. Don’t blame Crest, blame your own poor oral hygiene.

187. hamsangwich says:

@kad9k:

Oh dear, please tell me you didn’t buy BreathRx from your dental office? Listerine is the only rinse you can get from the store that has the ADA seal. Why would all these other rinses be so fantastic and yet the ADA doesn’t recommend you use them?

188. stenspect says:

I was shocked when I read this today. Recently I had brown spots emerge in b/t my teeth. I thought it was something I was eating, but I don’t drink coffee or tea. Crest can burn in hell for releasing this crap!

189. SHUDUPAHYOFACE says:

All these unatural rinses and pastes are totally toxic and abrasive! Seriously – you’re better off just brushing with water and flossing daily. I switched to Tom’s of Maine toothpaste a couple of years ago after reading about how detrimental these name-brand products are.

Hmmmm – well Crest will have you shilling out more money to dentists just to clean this gunk off! It’s a conspiracy

190. cjpavel says:

This stuff is awful. I was never able to taste anything after using it.

191. Teko says:

Wow, I am not kidding I bought a bottle last weekend, and just started using it a few days ago. I thought my teeth looked a little crappy this morning, but I did not think it was the mouthwash! I have also had this annoying chemical taste in my mouth for a few days that does not even go away with grape bubblicious gum.

I am pouring this stuff out when I get home, no sense risking it.

I should have listened to my intuition about it when I was in the store. I was like ‘crest makes mouthwash wtf’ but I dislike the burn of listerine so I went for it. :/

192. CyberSkull says:

Damn, I’m gonna check the mouthwash when I get home.

193. queestaesto says:

Wow, this is news to me. I’ve been using it since it pretty much first came out and my teeth are still nice and white. I hate the alcohol mouthwashes. Always felt my breath smelled like I spent the night at the bar. I also use the toothpaste Pro-Health.

Never noticed a loss of taste either.

Are the people who are getting the spots heavy tea/coffee/cola drinkers? I very rarely drink soda/pop and never drink tea or coffee. Could that be a possible reason? I know some mouth products say don’t eat for a while after using because it softens the enamel, making it vulnerable to staining.

Well, I wish them luck in getting their teeth back to shiny white.

194. revjonny says:

Read in a health magazine that the primary ingredient in Pro Health actually binds to bacteria instead of removes it. If you have residual pro health on your teeth and introduce bacteria (food, drink, tobacco) it works like glue to your teeth. Had the same problem. Went back to listerine and my teeth cleaned up. I didn’t have to pay for an expensive cleaning, but my dentist tried selling me two. Funny how that works. Dentist tells you try pro health, then says “Oh snap, you’ll need at least two cleanings to clear that up.”

195. omaryak says:

“a professional cleaning *should* remove it…or try baking soda”

This would explain why I was able to use Crest Pro-Health for about 2 years without staining — I brush with baking soda toothpaste. I never noticed problems with taste, but I recently had an abscess in my gum from a piece of popcorn that became lodged in there, and the Crest did nothing to stop the infection (some good old hydrogen peroxide did the trick). Since then I’ve been using Listerine, and while I never noticed the taste problems before, I have to say food does taste better now.

196. mistyh says:

I work for a prosthodontist, and while our hygienist recommends the Pro-Health Mouthwash, the doctor and assistant and I do not. The hygienist from the periodontist’s office said their pt’s have had staining. I do recommend the Pro-Health toothpaste though. My teeth are 2 actually 2 shades whiter and paired with a (good) electric toothbrush, my teeth feel the cleanest they ever have.

The best otc mouthwash you can use is Listerine hands down. For daily care, we recommend the purple one with flouride. If you want to pay for rx strength, go for Prevident (rinse, paste, or gel).

197. mistyh says:

PS: OTC mouthwashes are not going to stop/cure infection. For something like that, have your dentist call you in an rx for Miracle Mouthwash (Stanford). The best perio office in Scottsdale swears by it.

198. nomadX says:

I asked Crest about this issue. Clever marketer’s that they are, the took the opportunity to turn this negative into a positive, recommending two OTHER crest products (Vivid White Toothpaste and Crest Spinbrush) that I can use to fix the problem wit the crest tooth-staining mouthwash. Here’s their response:
    —-
    “All our products, including Crest Pro-Health Rinse are safe for consumers. We use these products and so do our families, so we want to be sure they are safe.”

“Some people, especially those prone to high tartar formation who use an antimicrobial product, may experience tooth discoloration. Unlike stains due to smoking or beverages which can discolor the entire tooth, antimicrobial tooth staining occurs in hard to brush areas like between the teeth and at the gum line and it’s only temporary. We recommend using Crest Vivid White Toothpaste and Crest Spinbrush to help eliminate these stain.”

199. hlsawdust says:

@espot:

Guess I’ll have to throw my two cents in here since I’m a dental student…

MOUTHWASH DOESN’T REPLACE PROPER BRUSHING AND FLOSSING. Regardless of chemical makeup, once a plaque pellicle has matured, it essentially becomes chemically resillient and requires mechanical removal (brushing, flossing, scaling, etc)

espot made an excellent point when he mentioned adequate oral hygiene, because I think that’s the root of the problem for most the complaints here. Most dentists will have varying opinions about mouthwash, but so far, the best answer I’ve heard regarding mouthwash use was from an oral pathologist at my school, who said that the reason most people even use mouthwash, is in compensation for lack of proper flossing, when in reality it should be used as a SUPPLEMENT since pretty much everything on the market only kills the free floating flora in your mouth (and maybe the 1st layer or two of plaque because biofilms possess incredible chemical resilience).

From what he told me about biofilms, a new plaque pellicle will essentially plaster itself onto your teeth within an hour after brushing due to the existing flora. (Please don’t see this an an excuse to say “oh well, if that’s just gonna happen, there’s really no point, huh?”), but it takes about a day or two before the plaque matures to to the point it forms palisades (columnar microcolonies of bacterial cells) and becomes almost impervious to chemical attack. Routine brushing and flossing basically is the prevention of this pellicle to reach maturity on a daily basis.

In regards to the staining of mouthwash, I don’t know enough about the specific pharmacology, but I would imagine that the plaque itself is responsible for trapping mouthwash colors, much like disclosing tablets (tablets that you chew that binds a temporary dye to plaque so you can identify areas where you aren’t brushing/flossing properly).

If you brush and floss properly, adding mouthwash to the mix essentially gives you more buffer time before the next round of plaque starts colonizing on your teeth (by killing the free-floaters).

Additionally, I’m wondering how long and what requency are people using mouthwash for? You really only need to keep it in for about 30sec – 1min. It’s not like bathing your mouth in mouthwash for excessive time is gonna make it any more effective (if anything it’ll be the opposite, since since you’ll continute to secrete saliva during rinsing, which will dilute it).

“Fun” Fact: The 4th ingredient of Coke (and probably many other colas) is phosphoric acid. Dentists use a concentrated form of it in etch prior to sealant and composite fillings to dissolve a small layer of tooth to allow the sealant/filling to bond properly (creating a rough surface so it can adhere, otherwise it’ll just fall off).

200. delay says:

This same thing happened to me. I use the pro health toothpaste and not the mouthwash, although I did use the mouthwash last year for a few days and I got brown spots on my teeth, I never realized it was from the mouthwash thought it was something I ate it went away after several months. This winter I had the same browning on my teeth… until I read this article I had no idea it was the toothpaste. I have been really worried about it and am glad to finally know the cause. Since the staining occurred where I floss I thought the floss might be the trouble but now I realize it was the toothpaste.

Some things about me. I don’t drink anything except water. So the staining is not caused by excessive coffee, tea or other drinks. I don’t smoke. I take pretty good care of my teeth, I brush twice a day with a good electric toothbrush for atleast two minutes. I also floss once per day. I also use a water pick almost daily. So I really don’t think it is from not properly brushing your teeth. I am on well water so that might be something unusual about me. However I think some people just have a reaction to this stuff and some don’t. I think Crest should atleast put a warning on their product. I will never use crest products again! I will also try to stay away from procter and gamble stuff in general although that will probably be impossible to do.

201. everthewild says:

That is horrible! I would suggest using ACT restoring mouthwash. I’ve gone through a couple dentist changes because of moving and such, and every single one has recommended ACT. They have different types, but some of them actually have cavity fighting chemicals, which I think is pretty awesome. I suggest you try them. Plus they don’t make your teeth brown and taste amazing. I had my wisdom teeth taken out last week, and the week after my dentist said I could use any mouthwash. If it has alcohol he said to dilute it with water. The best part is that ACT fights cavities and after having the teeth pulled it was hard to brush, the mouthwash really helped me not have to visit the dentist for mouth pain.

202. frankie56 says:

to hlsawdust (the dental student): i know of several patients who have never had any problems with excess tartar formation and who have EXCELLENT hygiene, and have still experienced staining from this product. Not to mention that fact that other common side effects — such as the loss of taste — have NOTHING (absolutely NOTHING!) to do with the quality of one’s hygiene.

now is it possible that those who have experienced negative side effects (staining, swelling, loss of taste) have used the product “improperly” in some way, such as more than the recommend dosage (2x per day for 30 seconds)? perhaps, but i will also say that i know of pts who have experienced side effects even after less than ONE WEEK of using the product! — which sort of rules out the “excess exposure” theory.

the bottom line — and everyone (including Crest) knows that this true — is that (at the very least!) there needs to be a warning on the bottle regarding all of the possible side effects, however Crest adamantly refused to put such a warning on the bottle for fear that it may negatively impact sales. in fact, imo, this product, should REQUIRE a prescription and should ONLY be used under the direct care and supervision of a dental professional. the dental professional can discuss the potential problems and side effects w/ the pt prior to use, and then both doctor and pt can monitor and KNOW how to use the product and what to look out for.

shame on the greedy corporate evil-doers at P&G. they released this product w/o adequate long-term testing (the only tests monitored short-term efficacy) and they now KNOW all the problems but they REFUSE to address it because they got $100M+ tied up in the research/development/marketing of the product.

203. IC18 says:

its been a while since Ive been on this forum. Glad I checked it out today. My stuff is going in the trash tonight. I’ve been using it for only a couple of months but I am back on Listerine.

204. deviationer says:

I don’t know what the fuck this person was actually using but I have used that same stuff for 2 years and never had an issue. I call bullshit

205. josh42042 says:

I sent this to my dad the dentist, here’s what he had to say:

There has been a product called Peridex used as a rinse to help control periodontal disease and it can stain teeth since it contains a dilute amount of chlorhexidine which is the orange surgical scrub. This might be the same issue though the Peridex stains do come off readily when polished.

206. ashburnite says:

@PicketFence: me too- and the crown I have on one of my front teeth turned brown as well.

207. jassin says:

Here is a response I received from them…

Thanks for writing.

I’m sorry you had that experience.
    The active ingredient in Crest Pro-Health Rinse, CPC, can coat the tongue which may change the way things taste for a very small number of people. This should go away in 1 to 2 days.
    If you notice a change in the way things taste, we recommend you stop using Crest Pro-Health Rinse.

In addition, some people who use an antimicrobial product such as Crest Pro Health, may experience some tooth discoloration.
    This is true especially among those people who experience a lot of tartar.
    Unlike stains due to smoking or beverages which can discolor the entire tooth, antimicrobial tooth discoloration can occur in hard to brush areas like between the teeth and at the gumline.
    This type of staining is only temporary and on the surface of the tooth.

We appreciate your feedback and I’ll be sure to share your comments with the rest of our team.

Karen
    Crest Team

208. zygomatik says:

I was shadowing a dental hygienist at a dental office and this is the mouthwash that they have their patients swish/rinse with Crest Pro-Health after a cleaning. An interesting thing that I noticed, though, was that she actually dilutes the mouthwash before giving it to the patient and even advises the patient to do so…

209. prch says:

I am a licensed dental hygienist who also works for Crest. I would like to add to the conversation about Crest Pro-Health Rinse. The rinse kills 99% of the germs that cause plaque, gingivitis and bad breath in a unique alcohol-free formula. Unlike alcohol-containing mouthwashes, Crest Pro-Health Rinse doesn’t burn, making it easier to use for the recommended 30 seconds twice daily. Alcohol-at high concentrations-has been reported to contribute to dry mouth, which can actually worsen bad breath and the growth of more germs. Like all mouthwashes that effectively fight plaque and gingivitis, Crest Pro-Health Rinse can contribute to temporary, surface-level brown tooth discoloration, which is reported by a small percentage of individuals. This is actually a sign that the product is working!! After the rinse kills germs in your mouth, the dead germs can collect on the tooth surface and create the appearance of a brown stain. Discoloration could be exaggerated by things such as tartar on teeth, consumption of colored beverages like coffee, tea, and/or red wine, or tobacco use. Brown tooth discoloration from use of mouthwashes that effectively fight plaque and gingivitis is not harmful. It is reversible-and largely preventable-through options like brushing with a power toothbrush and tartar-control/whitening toothpaste, flossing and visiting the dentist regularly. The active ingredient in Crest Pro-Health Rinse has been recognized as safe and effective by an FDA advisory panel, and meets all current FDA standards. I also want to clarify that Crest Pro-Health Rinse does not cause permanent taste alteration. Oral care products containing CPC, the active ingredient, may cause a temporary aftertaste, or temporary change in the taste of food, in a small percentage of people. This typically goes away shortly after product use is stopped. If you want more information or have additional questions, I encourage you to visit http://www.crestprohealth.com/FAQ. Thank you for your time. Pat

210. noganshell says:

You need to know about Pro Health Rinse! I am outraged that I did b not know about any side effects or contraindications. I have had horrible side effects concerning my loss of taste.

I am a veteran who experiences PTSD (Post trauma Stress Disorder). I am a former Naval/Marine Corps Hospital Corpsman who survived a helicopter crash and suffered head trauma. I have gone through hell thinking that my loss of taste was due to neurological damage from my PTSD.

I did not attribute this loss of taste to the Pro Health Rinse, just that I bought this product because I thought it was SAFE! I had attributed the loss of taste to possible cranial nerve damage due to my head trauma and (olfactory nerve damage) and proceeded to address this with the use of strong medications and other therapies to help regain my sense of taste and smell.

I am outraged that Crest did not provide a warning for this possible contraindication and want you to know how much real heartache they have put me through without this warning. I am awestruck that I did experience this and kept on using it as I could not believe that such a benign and innocuous product could do this. When you lose your sense of smell – you are told that it will never come back. I went back to using Listerine a few weeks ago and my sense of smell and taste have somewhat returned.

I still occasionally use the Pro Health Rinse and it is still in my medicine cabinet! I will not use this product any longer!

No warning and the hell that I have been through – none of my physicians knew that this product could cause this lack of taste. My doctors were concerned with cranial nerve damage from the olfactory nerve and told me that I would never taste again. I continually have used this product which would negate all other treatments and I cannot believe that P&G would not put this warning on this product. I use Pro Heath toothpaste – could that also alter my sense of taste?

Are the people at P&G insane to sell a product and not give adequate warnings? Do you know that hell that I have been through equating this side effect with possible long term neurological damage? Are you stupid? When your doctor, Robert Gerlach was on the Today show said if you had staining and/or loss of taste you would contact the Proctor and Gamble Company and then he quipped “wouldn’t you”? He is a JERK! Most of the time, you would not equate a benign safe product together with extensive neurological damage. I and others would look at their former neurological damage and hope and pray it did not come back.

Shame on you Proctor and Gamble, with all the violence and terrorists around the news, people look to our founding companies to provide us with SAFE products to use. Your Pro Health was nothing but Pure Hell!

I want an apology from the insane doctor Gerlach who is either a puppet from the top executives for damage control or inept and useless as a doctor or physician that would HARM unassuming consumers!

211. SurinaAcheron says:

Crest Pro Health I had similar experiences with the brown teeth after using Pro Health.  For me the brown coloration is at the gums and in between the lower teeth.  Does anyone know what we can do about it, this seems like a lot of people that have been affected.  This is not right!

212. CoreyPhoenix says:

I am so disillusioned!! For over thirty years I have avoided crest and chemicals in food and household goods. Then a dentist told me that I had to rinse with this to avoid gingivitis and plaque. I used it only for a several months, and now I look in the mirror and I have brown between my teeth. To think that I paid for this makes me sad and stressed. I tried to go to Toms, I use the tooth paste because it has no to few chemicals, but they don’t have a mouth wash that fights gingivitis and/or plaque. I feel like there is nothing one can do in this chemical lead world. They get you coming and going, one way or another. I with out saying, stopped using Crest, and today I went online to see if Crest maybe had a product with no or less chemicals for gingivitis and plaque, and found that this brown stain was coming from the Crest that I had strarting using to help me. I am so sad, what more can I say.

Naamah Levi

213. QueenieCrispus says:

I used Crest Pro-Health and it didn’t seem to bother me until I had my teeth scraped/cleaned about 3 weeks ago. After my cleaning I used the crest pro-health and the next day I couldn’t taste anything on the left side of my tongue (which is the side they cleaned the day before.) They are doing one side at a time since my teeth were so bad. Anyway, it’s been 3 weeks as of yesterday and I still have the loss of taste on my left side as well as a little at the tip of my tongue. I stopped using the Crest Pro-health about 2 days after my cleaning after googling loss of taste. I am seriously wondering if I will ever get my sense of taste back and I’m scared to go clean the other side of my mouth for fear I might lose taste there too. I’m not sure if it was the crest pro-health or not but I’m a little gun shy now. Anyone get their taste back?

214. Ashley Wilson says:

I was driving this morning and I happpened to notice that I brown stains on my teeth and in between some of my front bottom teeth. I was so alarmed that this evening I rushed home to take a closer look and I was surprised to find that I not only have brown stains on the front of my teeth I have stains on the back of my top and bottom teeth as well. I am pissed and making dentist appointment tommorow morning. ProHealth toothpate is NOT so healthy.

215. Anonymous says:

FML
    My dental hygienist had to power blast my teeth with baking soda, the second time in a year. She asks me if I drink juice, no, coffee, no, tea, no, soda, rarely, water, everyday, then she goes, well what mouth wash do you use? You can figure out the rest. P.S. by the time she finished trying to get the stains out, my gums were bleeding (my entire mouth-it was horrifying and painful)

216. ina-z says:

It took me 2 hours and $135 to have the stains removed at my dentist from using Crest mouthwash. They should take this prduct out of shelves or include the side effects of using it in the bottle.

I used the product for a period of 2 months (on and off 15 times all together) and that’s all it took to get brown stains between my teeth and near the gums.

217. smtelegadis says:

I’ve was using Crest Pro-Health for the past 10 months on the recommendation of my Dentist. I thought I was doing good for my oral health by using a non alcohol based mouth wash. In those 10 months I have had my teeth cleaned by my Dentist (not a hygienist) twice. The most recent visit on March 11th, 2010. Both times a waterjet and pumice procedure was necessary to remove the stains on my teeth. I do not smoke nor do I drink excessive amounts of coffee. Recently (March 25h), in preparation of my pending nuptials I had my teeth whitened (Zoom Whitening) and I asked the doctor what could be causing the staining on my teeth. I got the same questions, are you a smoker and do you drink a lot of coffee? Of course my answer was no to both. Two days after the procedure my teeth were bright white. One day after resuming my regiment of Crest Pro Health mouth wash the stains on my gum lines returned. I’m very upset. My wedding is two weeks away and needless to say I’m staying clear of this CRAP!

218. bdfromnj says:

The same thing just happened to me! I was at my dentist for a cleaning and asked her about my teeth staining.. She looked at it and asked me if I use a mouthwash. When I told her that I use Crest Pro Health, she then told me that that is what it is from!!! She had to scrape the stuff off of my teeth! I’ll NEVER buy another Crest product again!