Asking For Lower APR Gets Juniper iTunes Rewards VISA Card Closed Against Man's Will

Thomas writes:

If you don’t use your Juniper iTunes Rewards VISA (issued by Barclay’s) for an entire year, they close the card and report to the credit agencies that you requested to close it. I’ve learned that when I called to inquire about a lower rate on 2/26, the agent canceled my account.

I called the main 800 back and was told that I had indeed requested the account be closed when a lower APR was not available. I firmly but politely insisted that I did not request to close my credit card. The CSR then told me that if I used “that kind of language” she would have to disconnect me. I then asked her what we could do to fix the situation. She placed me on hold and I was disconnected.

I called back and after explaining the situation to the 2nd CSR, she became very curt and informed me that the notes on my account said that “words had been exchanged.” —-? I apologized and asked if I could reactive my account without a hit on my credit. I was placed on hold and disconnected.

After calling back a third time, I was told that my account was active and the CSR had no record of it being deactivated.

I faxed a complaint to BBB of Delaware, the state agency that regulates banks in Delaware, and a couple fax numbers I found on Google.

Who knows what’s really going on, or what the status of your credit card is? Oh wait, the credit bureaus do, and the screenshot you sent in show that your card has been closed. Maybe their feelings are hurt because you haven’t used the credit card in so long and now they’re trying to get back at you. Actually, perusing the internets, it looks like you’re not the only one to experience bad customer service from them. This person tried to change the payment date on the card, and instead the rep closed the card on them, and others characterize their customer service reps attitudes as “rude” and “arrogant.” And even if you figure these complaints are just from hard-to-please customers, you definitely want to stay away from any card that does double-cycle billing.

Comments

1. arch05 says:

Juniper does indeed suck.

2. dookas says:

I got shit from them when I asked to go paperless…They said they offered it for other programs, but not the iTunes program…Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!?

3. cindel says:

During “Junami” I was approved for Itunes visa however it was a glitch(their words) and they lowered my CL.

Juniper is up there with BOA.

4. sleze69 says:

I had problems with Juniper bank during Christmas (US Airways Mastercard). I sent an EECB to them, Barclay’s bank (who owns juniper) and to the upper eschelon of US Airways. Everything was resolve in a day.

I suggest you EECB Juniper, Barclays and Apple.

5. Rectilinear Propagation says:

Rude and arrogant CSRs, double cycle billing…

Why is Thomas trying to get this account turned back on? Is he just trying to keep the history on it?

6. Dibbler says:

Discover card sent me a letter last week telling me that they lowered my interest rate to 10.9% but unless I use the card by March 1st they were going to close the account. I’ve never used the card but it was nice to have it available.

I wonder if this is going to be the next trend… Use it or lose it.

7. punkrawka says:

@Rectilinear Propagation: Probably. For a lot of people whose credit is “good” or “very good” the only way to inch up to the next tier is to keep accounts open for a long time. I know I have little-used accounts open for that reason.

8. picantel says:

Just so people are aware Juniper is one of the credit card companies that has been closing consumer’s accounts just because they feel like it. Another is amex.

9. sir_eccles says:

@Dibbler: I’m not sure it’s a trend as such. A few years back in the UK I used to have 2 credit cards but only used one of them. When the unused one expired, instead of sending me a new card they sent me a letter saying as it hadn’t been used for a couple of years they would close it unless requested otherwise. To them it’s just dead weight and expenses to keep it open.

10. Michael Belisle says:

I feel like I missed something between “politely and firmly” and if he used ‘that kind of language’ she would have to disconnect” him.”

- I’m sorry, I think there’s been some mistake. My account’s been closed.

- Sir, I don’t have to listen to you use that kind of language.

Nope. Something’s missing.

11. ColdNorth says:

It sounds to me like Juniper did the OP a favor. If the CC in question was opened in March of 2007, the FICO hit dissolved away six months ago.

My advice: Just be thankful that they’re out of your life and find another credit card at the local CC meat market. I hear they’ll hook up with anyone…

12. Dibbler says:

@sir_eccles: When I went to get my last mortgage the people had all the paperwork and it showed all my credit cards. There were credit cards on there listed as active that I’d forgotten I’d ever had. Some were credit cards I’d gotten when I has like 25 years old so that means they’re 20 year old accounts that are listed as “open”. I’ve never had a credit card account closed. The companies just stop sending me new cards so I always assume they close the accounts but apparently they don’t…that is until now with Discover Card. Maybe it’s just a threat and they won’t really close it though I could care less if they do.

13. zentex says:

Juniper/Barclay’s is an evil, evil company. I’m glad my account is closed with them. They will never get another dime out of me.

14. satoru says:

@picantel: Amex? Really? I have a Amex Blue that I haven’t used in like 3 years but they never that one off. Heck I have a Chase card that hasn’t been used in over 6 that’s still bouncing around.

15. humphrmi says:

There is a lot of spread on what CC companies do with inactive cards these days. Closing inactive cards isn’t new, it’s been standard practice for eons. What is new is that some card companies are happy to get their annual fee from you and then happily ignore you the rest of the year (think Capital One). Other, more consumer-friendly CC companies will stop issuing new cards if you don’t use them, but won’t actually close your account – so you retain your long account histories in your credit report, which has a big impact on your score. Sadly, your mileage will vary based on the card issuer.

16. cornish says:

When did the Better Business Bureau of Delaware become “the state agency that regulates banks in Delaware”?

17. Ben Popken says:

@cornish: It didn’t, he’s saying he sent it to 3 different places: 1: BBB, 2: state agency 3: company fax numbers.

18. cindel says:

@picantel: I never heard of AMEX doing that but I know they loves do AR.

19. timmus says:

BBB, the coalition agency funded by and representing local businessess? *cough* I’m sure they’ll get right on this matter.

20. brent_w says:

@Michael Belisle: No, just a spiteful CSR.

21. Anonymous says:

@humphrmi: I don’t mind if they close my inactive card, just don’t report to the credit bureaus that I closed it!

22. Anonymous says:

from Juniper Customer Care Correspondence@juniper.com
    to Thomas Barnes Thbarnes@———.com,
    date Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 5:50 AM
    subject RE:’Case=006-533-890′ Other Account Related Inquiry

Dear Thomas Barnes,

Thank you for contacting us regarding your Juniper Visa with iTunes Rewards.

We apologize for the inconvenience and your card is currently reinstated. If any other questions please call the number on the back of your credit card or respond back to this message.

Sincerely,

Sharmaine Lambert
    Email Relationship Manager

23. Anonymous says:

But still no change on my credit report, imagine it will take a day or two.

24. Orv says:

Might be a day or two, might be weeks. Credit reports often lag way, way behind reality.

Next time don’t cuss out the customer service rep and maybe they’ll be more helpful. ;)

25. CumaeanSibyl says:

Who wants to bet that the quality control recording was conveniently “lost” so that the rep could plausibly accuse Thomas of using foul language?

26. Anonymous says:

@Orv: Did not “cuss out” CSR, strictly PG-13, may have let a “damn” slip. Now I have cussed out a Best Buy manager, but that’s a very different story…

27. hate2brippedoff says:

Sounds like the CS @ Juniper speak a whole nuther language.

28. Hvnsent309 says:

I actually just had a similar issue with my Amazon.com credit account. I had paid my balance about 6 months ago, and then hadn’t used it since. When I pulled my credit report, it says that it is closed at my request – and I never said to close the account. When I tried to get it resolved I pretty much got a “that’s too bad – account is closed”

29. newfenoix says:

Most CSR’s are scum. I was recently accused of cussing one out when I told her that the bill was wrong. But I am kind of paranoid by nature and ALWAYS record every conversation that I have with business people. Well, my situation was resolved and I got an apology from the CSR.