"This Is Verizon Calling To Confirm Your Appointment. We're Sorry We Missed You…"

We found this photo on Flickr and were comforted to know that other people had not only thought of decorating their house for Verizon day, but had actually gone ahead with the plan.

Had it been us, we would have used a whiteboard and wrote “UPS” instead of “Verizon.”

The caption reads:

this is my friend robin’s house. the story itself is left as an exercise to the reader.

(Photo:quinnums)

Comments

1. KogeLiz says:

hahaha, awesome!

2. The Cynical Librarian says:

that’s fantastic!

3. econobiker says:

Funny as hell. Able to photo document proof that you were at home even when the tech says you were not or says he called and you were not…

4. alexiso says:

This is great!

5. shan6 says:

I love it when people decide to take a few extra steps when dealing with a company :)

6. soulman901 says:

I want the full story damn it!!!
    :P

7. RevRagnarok says:

…and my wife gave me crap about putting a notebook-sheet note on the garage door for BGE (Baltimore gas & Electric). Which they totally ignored anyway. It simply said something to the effect of, “if you find out why I have to call an automated reporting system during business hours only, please let me know.” Most ridiculous thing I’ve heard yet.

(Actually, the note part was under the gas readings for the meter that they cannot read because they installed it IN MY GARAGE. And I know they ignored the sign because they then rang the doorbell anyway.)

8. technotica says:

Reminds me of UPS thinking I had moved even though they had left a box for me a week ago without issue.

UPS – just because there is a moving van across the street from my house does not mean I have moved. I shall leave a sign for them from now on, now that I have an example to follow from this story :D

For the record, it was the neighbor’s van not mine.

9. macinjosh says:

Show us your Verizon Face!

10. monkey1976 says:

I also made a sign. OK, not as huge, but still pretty big and noticeable. What did Verizon do? Stuck their “Sorry we missed you!” note DIRECTLY ON THE SIGN. Grrrr…..

11. Maulleigh says:

LOL!!! That’s great. I’m sitting at home waiting for UPS and I’m afraid to get into the shower.

12. Fluffiliscious says:

I’ve thought about doing this for UPS, too, after a mishap with a computer delivery. The guy lied to my face and told me he had knocked. I was sitting on the couch and actually heard him stick the “missed you” not on the door. I’m pretty sure that if I can hear him sticking the not on the door, I could have heard him knock.

13. snoop-blog says:

lol. thanks meg, the picture brightened my day.

14. gskelding says:

I am sending this to everyone I know. Even people I don’t. This is too good to miss. I am so doing this the next time someone comes to my house to install something.

15. ecwis says:

@Fluffiliscious: Don’t let them get away that easily! I hope you called them at 1-800-PICK-UPS to file a complaint.

16. csdiego says:

@Fluffiliscious: I’ve had that happen too, and I never understand that. How many minutes are they saving by not actually making the delivery once they’re there to place the sticky note? Maybe three? And don’t they just have to make the delivery the next day instead, or are they just kicking it down the road to the next driver?

17. spryte says:

@m4nea: Why? Because the idea of someone wanting you to do your job would be offensive?

18. Gladiator10 says:

He left out a very important sign. Where it says doorbel on the left he needed to add “No! Your other left.”

19. Rectilinear Propagation says:

@m4nea: So on top of the customer having photographic proof they were home when you were supposed to show up they’ll also be able to show your boss photos of you flipping them off and maybe mooning them too.

I don’t think that plan works out in the long run.

20. puka_pai says:

@Fluffiliscious: I had the same thing happen last Christmas. I heard an odd sound from behind me and it took me a moment to register that somebody was messing with my front door. I’m not sure who was more surprised when I opened it to find the UPS guy sticking the “you’re not home” note on the door. His half-hearted, “I knocked but nobody answered…” was met by my, “Don’t bother. Gimme my package, dude.”

21. MartyPA says:

I not only do this exact thing for various delivery services, I also have a webcam set up that monitors the driveway with a date and time stamp and when they claim I was not home, I invariably find that they never even came up the driveway to ring the bell. I call and tell them my security camera footage says they never came at all, and then, lo and behold, they show up. I like watching them looking for the camera, they can never find it, but it’s there.

22. goodkitty says:

I’m amused that people think the reason UPS and Verizon say you’re not home is because they can’t find you. They intentionally do not want to service you (the driver/tech that is) to save time or just to screw around. Sign or no sign, they’re going to just hide around the corner and eat a sandwich, like they usually do.

I can’t count the number of times I’ve caught the UPS man running up to my door with a “sorry you weren’t here” slip already filled out, and his somewhat annoyed expression when he realized that yes, today I am going to make you do your job and actually deliver my package.

(Every FedEx driver I’ve had, on the other hand, has been simply wonderful.)

23. pmiller9 says:

In reference to the UPS drivers having the “sorry we missed you” note out as they come up the drive, that is UPS policy. In my area I need to complete a residential stop every two minutes (30 per hour). Four seconds extra per stop drops you down to 29 per hour. The rule is fill out note on the way to the door, knock and ring all doorbells, enter info in DIAD ( little brown computer), no response in 15-20 seconds from knock- leave. Repeat 220 times, start pick ups

24. csdiego says:

@pmiller9: 2 minutes per stop. Wow. I always had a vague preference for US Mail over UPS for receiving packages, and now I have an ironclad reason for that preference.

25. billin says:

@Fluffiliscious: Wow, I thought it was just in my area (I’m in a NY suburb). Last week I waited for UPS until 6:15p before leaving to pick up a pizza, and even then 1) all the lights were in in my house, and 2) my wife and kids were in the front room, clearly visible from the front window by the door. As I was pulling away, I saw the UPS guy run up to my doorway with the sticker in hand and no package. Unfortunately, I order a lot through Amazon, who uses UPS for their Amazon Prime, so this kind of thing happens A LOT. I called to complain, but aside from some sympathetic words, got no satisfaction. I don’t know if something’s changed with UPS over the past couple of years, but they used to do a decent job and now I absolutely detest them. If Amazon ever gave me a choice of shipping company, I would dump them in a second.