$4 Gas By Spring?

The New York Times says that some experts are predicting $4 gas by the Spring.

Gasoline prices, which for months lagged the big run-up in the price of oil, are suddenly rising quickly, with some experts fearing they could hit $4 a gallon by spring. Diesel is hitting new records daily and oil closed at an all-time high on Tuesday of $100.88 a barrel.

The increases could not come at a worse time for the economy. With growth slowing, high energy prices that were once easily absorbed by consumers are now more likely to act as a drag on household budgets, leaving people with less money to spend elsewhere. These costs could exacerbate the nation’s economic woes, piling a fresh energy shock on top of the turmoil in credit and housing.

“The effect of high oil prices today could be the difference between having a recession and not having a recession,” said Kenneth S. Rogoff, a Harvard University economist.

Cheerful. Will you put up with $4 gas or will you begin carpooling, walking, and taking public transit?

Oil Hits a High; Some See $4 Gas by Spring [NYT]
(Photo:greefus groinks)

Comments

1. hubris says:

Let’s hope I get that new job where I can take the bus or ride a bike to work. I’ve never been one of those people that bitches about gas prices or even really thought about it, but with my Passat needing premium, I’m betting it’ll be close to 80 to fill it up. Yowch.

2. AstroPig7 says:

Let’s here it for living within walking distance of your workplace!

3. Chols says:

HAH!! My Civic may be slow, but at 35mpg, I won’t complain.

Rice burners FTW!!!

4. Fatty Shcock says:

Hey, you never know what prices will be like. Last year, analysts were also claiming that in the summer of ’07 we were going to get hit with $4 a gallon, and that never happened (at least where I live). So well have to see.

In the meantime, when spring hits, I will be riding my bike to and from work, seeing how I only live 5 miles away from my job.

5. mwdavis says:

Of course gas prices will go up after the election.

6. Asvetic says:

Anyone know how much gas is in a barrel of oil?

7. woodenturkey says:

@AstroPig7:

I feel ya, living downtown FTW!

Worst case i can walk to work the store, my pub and 3 different parks

8. Dead Wrestlers Society says:

I’m going to hitchhike everywhere. What could possibly go wrong?

9. no.no.notorious says:

i live in new york where the gas is approx. $3.25-$3.30 a gal. i was checking out a place south of boston for post graduation and the gas was $2.89 a gal. i almost fainted.

10. wallapuctus says:

Glad I bought a Prius last year…

11. SkyeBlue says:

What is it going to take to finally wake people up and get MAD, for the price of a gallon of gas to surpass the hourly minimum wage?

He has served his masters quite well.

12. Hawkins says:

I will start driving my divine Piaggio scooter to work more. Yes, it’s not safe, but as more people start realizing how fun 75 mpg can be, perhaps there will be more scooters (and thus fewer cars) on the road, which will make it safer.

Or at least more fun.

13. cindel says:

Good to live near metro.

14. Superawesomerad says:

I already walk to work. For some reason gas in Maine is super expensive; it was actually cheaper to fill up when I visited New York last week. NEW FREAKING YORK.

15. madrigal says:

As much as I hate taking the B line every day, I’m glad I don’t have to pay for gas. Nineteen dollars and some change comes out of my paycheck twice a month, and I get to ride the T and take the bus however many times as I please.

16. sp00nix says:

Its all BS i think. Oil companies make way more then they tell us. I bet they could sell gas at half the price and still make a killing.

17. MissPeacock says:

@SkyeBlue: But what can we DO about it? I’m really asking.

18. Bladefist says:

eh this is more liberal scare tactics. I whole-heartedly believe this will not happen. It’s big media trying to scare you into voting for a liberal who will solve all your money problems by increasing your taxes.

Drive by media. Thx Rush.

19. Bladefist says:

By the way I don’t know if you guys have looked on any finance sites, guess who owns these satan gas companies? Our 401ks do. If government was to step in and regulate gas, you’re retirement savings would disappear.

20. consumermonopoly says:

well, when these companies are reporting record profits each year and each year the record they are beating is their own they can afford to lower the price. thanks bush.

21. PinkBox says:

Meh, I have no choice but to drive. No public transport here.

22. @sp00nix: Yeah, that and up to a dollar of the cost per gallon goes to taxes, so really its only 2.25 right now.

I think some of why it didn’t go to 4/gal is that the profits (something like 9 trillion?) reported for the big oil companies. Thats also why places like McDonalds will be the last to raise food prices, because they will be making a fat (haha) profit no matter how much fuel prices go up.

23. kimsama says:

Yeah, I’m happy to live about 4 miles from work. I can walk every day (and take the bus when it’s ridiculously cold/rainy).

I’m surprised that there isn’t more of an uproar about the tremendous core inflation that we’re seeing (oh, haha, I forgot! Food and oil aren’t included in core inflation numbers, so we’re all just fine).

Is anyone else pissed off that the Fed is allowing insane inflation because they are so afraid of a recession? Because I really don’t think it’s going to help us too much if we devalue our currency considering we can’t compete with China and India on cheap exports anymore. Recession would hurt, yes, but at least if you had a job and little debt, you’d be ok (hell, you might even come out ahead when things got cheap). But I can’t see how inflation is going to be good for anyone, because it’ll erode the savings and purchasing power of everyone. Oh, yeah — right — everyone except the wealthy. Well I guess that’s why we’re going with inflation and not recession, then. Might as well wipe out the whole middle class at once, and not just the middle class people in debt/without jobs. Hey, wouldn’t stagflation be fun? Great, let’s get on that, Bernanke.

24. SchecterShredder says:

So again, WHY are we STILL in Iraq if we are NOT stealing their oil??? I’m confused…if we are stealing their oil shouldn’t our prices being going DOWN???? WTF????

25. kaut1k says:

@Asvetic: 42 gallons/barrel

26. kimsama says:

@kimsama: Hmm, maybe I need some coffee or something to get back to a happy place.

P.S. I’m sure that the economic stimulus package checks will solve all our problems anyway.

27. skwish says:

in canada its already 4 dollars a gallon. WHich is really really annoying because we are a NET EXPORTER of gasoline.

Prices yesterday in toronto were about $1.06 a liter. and if memory serves me right its roughly

3.8 Liters to the gallon so doing some quick math that is exactly $4.028 a gallon oh and our dollar is currently worth more (this week at least) so if any of our friends to the south have to drive up here STOCK UP at home

28. Bladefist says:

@HRHKingFriday: The reason gas is going up is simple. Gas goes up when the value of the dollar goes down. Since most of our oil comes from foreign sources, the value of the dollar is huge. There is certainly other factors, because obviously gas flucuates when the dollar is good, such as supply and demand, inflation, etc. But right now its because of the value of the dollar. The value of the dollar is worthless because of the Fed keeps lowering the rate which causes foreign investors to invest elsewhere. The fed keeps lowering the rate to keep -tards from foreclosing. This is all happened because of the real-estate melt down. Can’t blame bush, can’t even blame politicians. This was stupid lenders giving too much money to people who can’t do basic math.

29. timsgm1418 says:

maybe it’s time to lower the taxes on the gas so we can afford it?

30. Myotheralt says:

Why has the price of gas gone up 6x over the last 30 years, but a quart of oil is the same? yeah, a barrel of crude has gone from $20 to $100, but shouldnt all oil products have a similar increase?

31. AD8BC says:

I’m buying my wife a Ford Focus tonight (30-35MPG) so she can offset my V8 F-150.

32. IndyJaws says:

Here’s what I don’t understand…when demand is high and inventories are low, analysts use that as a reason for higher gas prices. However, right now, demand is much lower and inventories are rising, yet these same analysts are spouting that this is the reason for higher prices. So…basically, we’re screwed either way.

33. DashTheHand says:

I COULD telecommute my job, except that my boss is one of those people that is computer-phobic and doesn’t like his employees to be able to work from home. He prefers to have them “all in the office and available to work during scheduled hours without ‘distraction.’” It annoys me to no end since I could be saving up to $100+ a month at this point just from how much I have to spend to drive the 50ish mile round trip to work each day.

34. AD8BC says:

@myotheralt: I would say that the quart of oil at least doubled. Maybe tripled. I remember when I was in high school and I could buy oil for 99 cents a quart. Now it’s about 3 bucks. Which is kind of consistent with my old 99 cent gallon of gas now being 3 bucks.

What I have found is that these “experts” tend to predict really high gas prices a few months away to take away the surprise from people. Generally the prices don’t get close to the predictions… but people are now ready for it.

It’s all BS. Right now we have a ton of gas inventories in the US. One thing in favor of keeping prices from spiking too high later on.

35. AD8BC says:

@IndyJaws: It’s kind of like the stock market. When oil rises, the stock market goes down because of worries about the economy. When oil drops, the stock market goes down because the energy stocks go down.

36. Erwos says:

@skwish: Unless you have more refineries than I thought, you’re a net exporter of oil, not gasoline. Iran has the same issue, which is why their gas prices are so high they’re rationing gasoline.

There’s really nothing the average consumer can do to lower prices besides naturally adjusting their habits to cope with the high price of gasoline. Oil is sold on a global market – no one can just artificially lower the price.

37. Erwos says:

@AD8BC: The stock market favors price stability in the oil market, certainly. It’s not so much about the price of oil as the future price of oil, funny enough.

38. Savage says:

$4 gas soon, I don’t doubt it a bit.

39. yesteryear says:

gas here in the bay area has hovered between 3.20 and 3.80 a gallon for a couple years now. when i first started driving in the mid 90s it was around .99 a gallon — it’s incredible how much it’s jumped over the past 14 years. i remember hearing on the news that even at these prices it’s still less than it was in the 70s when allowing for inflation… and cars back then were far less efficient than they are now – but what we don’t hear is how much more expensive everything else is right now – housing, staples like milk and meat… everything is going up. maybe those vegan cyclists are on to something.

40. nlatimer says:

We need to tap ANWR like a frat boy taps a keg.

41. skwish says:

@Erwos:
    Well i may be wrong (wouldnt be the first time) but im 90% positive that we also have enough refineries to be a net exporter of gasoline. But you also have to remember that we only have 33 million people so we dont need that much refining capability to be a net exporter.

But we are most definately an exporter of oil that is for sure.

The cool thing is that the oil sands most likely has more oil in it then the middle east the problem is that there is more sand in it then a redheaded stepchild on a visit to the beach

42. AD8BC says:

@nlatimer: You need one of these: [members.premiereinteractive.com]

43. MissTic says:

I drive an econo-box car that gets 35mpg. And I only fill up every four weeks because I live/work/play in a small radius. Don’t think I’m moving or trading in my car any time soon!!

44. bohemian says:

Cite whatever reasons they want, gas is going to keep going up unless something intervenes. That might not even do much. No public transit, no way to bike into town since the two roads don’t have shoulders and a 55mph speed limit.

In the last six months our electricity, homeowners ins., health ins. and telecom bills have all gone up considerably. Groceries have gone up again from the last 20% hike. We keep finding new places to cut out costs or drop services & products from our budget but all it does is cancel out an increase somewhere else.

45. Most of the upward pressure on oil prices is centered around the fact that it prices in US dollars, and the dollar has been rapidly depreciating. The rest of it is increased demand in the rest of the world coupled with the sustained American appetite for something like 2/3 of the world’s oil supply.

The first problem can be fixed by aggressive debt management. The dollar will quickly regain value if the national treasury deficit is eliminated, which every Fed chairman since the 70′s has demanded. Greenspan cut rates in 2001 as aggressively as he did because Bush promised him deficit reduction/government shrinkage – add that to the lies of a failed administration, no?

This is also largely driving the explosion in commodity values. Not good. Even worse is that the two major candidates in Hillary and Barack have promised substantial, sustained, continued deficit spending. Not sure who’s buying more dollars these days, China’s closed, so who the fuck knows what they’re thinking.

The second problem will never abate as long as populations/energy demands continue to increase. Until energy competition becomes more robust, energy prices will continue to rocket to the point where alternative sources become more viable. Since every other available energy source is either politically unpopular or very expensive, expect oil to continue to inflate.

46. Myotheralt says:

“we already have a vehicle that gets 100 mpg, its called a scooter.” I forget where I first saw that.

47. ARP says:

@Bladefist: So when the “super extreme left liberal media” warned of $3 a gallon, were those scare tactics?

Why would we need to increase taxes? GWB and all the other Republicans said we’d “grow” out of our deficits because the economy would be flying. What happened?

BTW- You don’t think you’re already not paying more “taxes?” No, its not taken out of your paycheck. It’s in $3.30 gas, in increased fees for every little thing you do (driver licenses, filing fees, etc.), its increased costs for just about everything (thank you weak dollar), its increased local taxes or real estate taxes, its in a staggering economy due to weak dollar, huge national debts, etc.

I love the people that still think that their paycheck taxes is all that matters.

48. JessiesMind says:

Interesting. Economic stimulus checks arriving sometime this summer at a mailbox near you and the grocery and gas prices are skyrocketing. Oh, and by “interesting”, I meant “nauseating”.

49. B says:

@MissPeacock: Use less oil. Supply and Demand will cause the price to fall if the supply is constant and the demand is lower.

50. forgottenpassword says:

because of my job hours I cant carpool, cant bikeride/walk 20 busy highway miles to work and there is no public trasnit. I will just have to suck it up & pay. I already save money by doing my shopping & other errands while driving to & from work & limit my days off travel greatly.

I am already at the limit of what I can do to save money on gas.

51. AD8BC says:

@forgottenpassword: As are many of us. I live 15 miles (by freeway) from work — can’t afford to live closer. Public transportation would not get me from point A to point B (although I do live 1/2 mile from a commuter rail station that I can take to the airport, downtown Dallas, or downtown Fort Worth and I do enjoy using it when I can).

I suppose I could bike to work — if I want to get up at 5:30 AM and get to work all sweaty in the summertime.

I would use public transit if it was available but that takes money too, as in higher taxes — which nobody wants.

52. I was driving down the highway the other day, and I happened to look down into a car with a family in it. It was a Cavalier, so i figure it was probably doing 30 mpg or so with 5 people in it. That’s about 150 man-miles per gallon.

I then considered my own situation. There was just one of me, and I was, at the time, getting about 9 mpg.

It amuses me.

No, I will not stop driving. I’ll just buy some stock in the oil companies.

53. Parting says:

In Europe, they are paying more already. They still drive. It just you won’t see many SUVs there. Mostly fuel efficient cars. Dump your Hammers people!

54. AD8BC says:

@chouchou: I have a hammer. It gets me zero miles per gallon… but it’s damn good at hammering nails.

@RamV10: 9 MPG? Wow! I get at least 15. You should get an F-150!

55. JustAGuy2 says:

@SkyeBlue:

I am mad, and will be until gas is at least $5/gallon, due to a $1-2/gallon increase in the federal gas tax. If we want to actually incorporate the externalities of gas consumption (military costs, environmental impact) into its price, the price needs to be a lot higher.

56. Erwos says:

@chouchou: Or could it be that Western Europe is in population decline mode, meaning less kids, and less need for mini-vans and larger vehicles? There are social trends to be considered here, too.

57. lpranal says:

I can see two good things in this:

1) It makes it easier to justify the cost of shiny new bike parts. I bought an old road bike (70′s fuji) and have been fixing it up over the winter, for the cost of about one month’s gas (I don’t live that far from work)

2) Hopefully, more people will take up bike commuting. It’s nice to have the bike lanes by yourself, but it sure would be nice to have people to talk to at stoplights.

Now, we just need to get a little bit of the snow cover melted here in wisconsin so I can actually USE the bike lanes.

58. Bladefist says:

@ARP: Well, you raise good points. But don’t forget scare tactics also scare the market and can make it do bad things. I understand some of the other fees may increase, but those fees are mostly optional. You can choose not to renew your license, etc. Some you have to pay, some you dont, but as far as my paycheck, I have 0 say.

59. ihateauditions says:

I’ve already paid $4/gallon for gas in the US (last year, for a short period). It didn’t do anything to my consumption at all, but it made me smile when I saw SUVs near me at the pump.

I also lived abroad for a bit, and paid $7/gallon. Again, it didn’t affect my usage at all, but in that country it was clear that people were more careful about buying overly large cars.

And contrary to what Erwos said, it had nothing to do with population decline. The trend in smaller-sized vehicles was especially clear in commercial vehicles, where contractors and such used *much* smaller trucks than would be used in the US.

60. lpranal says:

@Bladefist: I actually lube my bike chain with rendered rush limbaugh fat. That cigar-chomping fat bastard’s corpse should keep me going for years!

61. guspaz says:

Gas in Montreal is currently $4.29 USD per gallon, and this is as low as it ever gets. Prices occasionally raise as high as $4.67 USD per gallon.

Americans complaining about high gas prices need to be slapped. The US has incredibly low gas prices.

62. I’m 65 miles from work, and I’ve already taken measures against higher gas prices by trading in a Pontiac Grand Am for a new Prius. My monthly payments are marginally higher, but I’m saving more in fuel than that increase. I took a trip a few weeks ago where I averaged 53mpg, so I’m not complaining, or at least not as much I used to.

Still, the increase in fuel prices will outpace increases to my income, so it’s a losing proposition either way.

I miss being a freelancer working at home.

63. shadow735 says:

sorry to say this but I see gas hitting $5 by summer. I drive a Honda Civic and it gets an average of 37MPG still this is bad news for the economy but good news for gren research and new technology being pushed foward.
    Gas will become a thing of the past very soon with the way gas prices are going.

64. Starfury says:

I already carpool to save on gas/bridge tolls. Gas at over $3/gallon is putting a dent in our spending, if it hits $4+ we’ll stop eating out and buying ‘stuff’ since that money will go to the oil companies.

We’ve already started cutting back and it’s just going to get worse.

65. jeff303 says:

@AstroPig7: Hear, hear, you lucky bastard

66. shadow735 says:

@B: that is partly true, the supply part is controlled by the refineries, too few refineries and those that are producing are doing so at a reduced amt as well as some refineries are closed.
    The gas companies have us by the balls they can control the flow of gas as much as they want. Oil isn’t the problem there is plenty of that its refining it.

67. drewsumer says:

I’m so glad I can bike or T to work! I can laugh at all the suckers paying more for their commute! 4$ gas won’t affect me!

…except for the fact that all the stuff I buy, like food, is shipped in on trucks. Which use gas. And who will have to absorb the increased cost of shipping?

Oh, me.

Nuts.

68. jimconsumer says:

@Hawkins: I have a car that gets 75 miles per gallon. Honda Insight. Actually, my best tank of gas was 74 point something, but I average over 70 easy when temperatures are above 50 degrees outside. Cold months net me 60-65mpg. Best. Car. Ever.

69. JMH says:

This is not a bad thing. People should drive less for any number of reasons.

70. Snarkysnake says:

@SkyeBlue:

“I guess Bush and all his Saudi and oil buddy friends are going to keep making record profits until the very minute Bush walks out of the White House for the last time.

He has served his masters quite well.”

To all of you Bush haters out there,one question:

What fucking planet do you call home ?
    Are you so ignorant of the fact that crude oil prices are set on a world market (supply and demand)that you make statements like the one above? George Bush (or Bill Clinton or Andrew Jackson) have about as much control over the price of oil as they have over the weather.(This will come as a great surprise to hurricane Katrina survivors).The fact is,if you would just turn the sound down on “American Idol” and pick up a book,since GWB came into office,there have been a couple of little obscure countries you may have heard of called China and India that have almost doubled their consumption of oil.That has had an effect on price.American consumers have fallen in love with big,honking Dreadnought Class- SUV’s and they don’t exactly sip fuel.

Now. Even if you don’t believe me,how about our wonderful northern neighbors,Canada ? I have seen a couple of posts from the Canookies above and they seem to have a handle on the fact that the price goes up and the price goes down. Who do they blame ? George Bush is just a politician with a funny accent and mangled diction to them,not some potentate that choreographs their every thought and action.For God’s sake,stop getting your political philosophy from a fucking bumper sticker and think for yourself.

71. ancientsociety says:

This may sound naive so don’t flame me but…what’s the problem? Granted, I live in the city and take public transit and don’t own a car but the last time I did (~4 yrs ago…*sigh* I miss that car…), gas was roughly $2.80-3/gal. Taking into account rising inflation and rising worldwide demand as developing countries increase infrastructure, why shouldn’t gas raise in price by $1-1.50 in 4 years? Nearly everything else has.

72. @timsgm1418: “maybe it’s time to lower the taxes on the gas so we can afford it?”

Great idea! In a few years, the roads and bridges won’t be passable anymore, then none of us will have to use any gas!

You’re a genius!

If anything, gas taxes should be increased. Maybe it would get some of the ridiculous gas-guzzling SUVs off the streets and put people back in smaller, more efficient cars that don’t promote gross overconsumption.

73. yesteryear says:

@chouchou: this is also a result of europe’s cities having been developed hundreds, if not thousands, of years before the automobile. pedestrians, cyclists, and rail passengers come first as a result of this. many americans are forced to drive to work/to run errands because of the poor planning practices of the past 50 years. watch “taken for a ride” for more info – very fascinating, and sad.

74. @RamV10: I computer my mileage in man-miles, too, which is why the holier-than-thou, no cruise-control standard Prius drivers annoy me.

Here in California, many hybrid owners get to to use the carpool lane as solo drivers while getting man-mileage similar to a V6 Ford Explorer with two people in it.

Meanwhile, my carpool buddy and I in my 2007 Civic are getting about 65 man-miles to the gallon, reducing congestion, and getting a more productive start to the say than listening to the radio or gabbing on the phone.

75. Froggmann says:

@AD8BC: NOOOOOOOOOOO! DO NOT GET A FOCUS! Don’t buy into the marketing gimmics of the Farcus they are junk. I have only known one that made it to 100,000 miles most die at 60.

76. ltlbbynthn says:

I drive to work bc it’s a five-minute drive but a forty-minute bus ride. Sucks my school is so far away. I’ll have to suck it up. Not in a position to buy a new fuel-efficient car. It’s sad there really are no good options to get around down in Miami. I was thinking of getting a bike, but it will probably get stolen. sigh.

77. Nighthawke says:

Enough.

A line was drawn at 3/gallon and it has been crossed, blatantly, stupidly, and with ignorance to the consequences.

Enough.

The pols want to duke it out over the credit market and ignore the weakening dollar, which is having a cascading effect on the domestic market and oil prices. To that I say Enough.

Decisive action is required before this spirals out of control any further! By that I mean beefing up the value of the dollar, no matter what it takes. A strong dollar equals a strong domestic economy and low prices.
    The pols may say we are entering a recession, I say we are in the middle and the worst is yet to come.

78. AD8BC says:

@Snarkysnake: I agree. I laugh at these people who think Hilary/Barack could do any better. I am a Republican and fed up with Bush.

Time to create a new CommonSense party!

79. ltlbbynthn says:

PS there’s also this book out about how the cost of the war in Iraq is directly related to our own recession. We don’t have the money for anything else.

80. quagmire0 says:

**insert slam on unnecessary SUV and truck use here**

In all seriousness though, this sucks for all – because higher gas prices continue to trickle down through everything else in life. Time to build that bombshelter…

81. jamesdenver says:

@AstroPig7:

Cheers :) Walking? No. I live 9 miles but have been biking it for five years in most weather (barring slushy/icy streets)

Love it and wouldn’t have it any other way.

82. akyiba says:

Hmm higher gas prices…does that mean less people on the road. Looks like my commute will be quicker on 93 and 495.

83. AD8BC says:

@Froggmann: You know, with all due respect those you know (and I do value your opinion, mind you), I hear similar things about every car I consider. Except for the foreign Hondas or Toyotas which we simply cannot afford (we are paying cash).

We are replacing a Saturn SL2 from 2001 that we bought new and put 144,000 miles on it. It’s only now starting to burn oil. People told me all along that it wouldn’t go past 70 or 80.

When taking everything into account (online reviews, safety, and price) we found the Focus to be our best choice, especially when we can get it certified and with a goodly remainder of factory warranty.

Another thing to consider is age/miles… My wife will put 60K on the car in two years (I don’t want to hear any bitching from the peanut gallery about how she should drive less and bike to work, she does home healthcare and her job entails going to patients homes all over Dallas/FortWorth). With the certified warranty on the drivetrain, added to the fact that I change the oil religiously every 4000 miles (or, for her, more like every 6-8 weeks), I’m willing to take the gamble…. especially since I found a Ford dealer that needs to sell a whole lot of cars by Friday (the end of the month).

But thanks for the tip, Froggmann. I do appreciate the fact that there are lemons out there.

84. douchrti2004 says:

Its all about profits. Big business knows they answer to no-one.
    And the “Experts”! Its just a con to see the response and get us “Used” to hearing it.

85. Bladefist says:

@Snarkysnake: You did a better job of saying what I was trying to say up above. But facts have no place on a liberal internet. All you have is Emotions, and a need for someone to blame. Your ‘American idol’ comment was hilarious, because the intelligent people know these things. But let them screw and holler at bush, let them dominate the web w/ their ideologies, and their hate for people like us. Let them vote in Obama, since they think he is their savior. They have no idea what is about to hit them. It’s not just a lack of understanding in how things work, but a lack of interest to find out and trust the media, and politicans.

86. ConnertheCat says:

Just picked up a new car, expect to save a boat load of cash now that I’m not car sharing with someone (and driving back and forth three times a day more then I had to).

87. Taed says:

NewsFutures ([us.newsfutures.com]) has a trading market on this topic: $4 gas by July 1st. It’s currently only at 16%, meaning that the consensus of the traders is that there is only a 16% chance that there will be $4 gas on or before July 1st.

88. qpease says:

I think we had it too good for too long and now is the time to take action. My hat’s off to the people who are making a difference in car pooling and using the public transit. I live in the largest ethanol producing state in the nation and I can tell you that ethanol is not a solution, but possible a detriment to the reduction in oil dependence due to the fact that it eats up tons of oil-based fuels to plant, harvest and produce, plus it is subsidized by the US government to keep the price down…what a hoax.

I only wish I could afford a new hybrid car, or electric. Totally agree with the war being a problem, or it is just some coincidence?…..don’t think so.

Try living in the Midwest where you have to drive literally everywhere for everything. This truly sucks. The only solution is to take matters in your own hands because Uncle Sam will never help as long as there are oil lobbyists.

89. @Nighthawke:

The notion of a “fair price” is a popular populist trope that dates back forever, but in practice price fixing fails to manage resources properly. The result is unmitigated demand that leads to rationing and the “breadline” effect. Feel free to examine human history for a time when price fixing resulted in a positive experience for anyone.

Strengthening the dollar is a good idea, however. I’m totally behind that. The quickest way is to trim the federal budget deficit, which means less entitlement spending. The best way is to do that and go a step further and limit our potential debt exposure – which means drastic limitations on social security spending and enough with the “subsidized health care” drumbeat.

90. ihateauditions says:

@Snarkysnake: There are plenty of people who hate Bush for perfectly reasonable and logical reasons.

Please don’t make the common mistake of assuming that we all have silly and invalid reasons just because a few do.

It’s a shame that some people feel the need to politicize everything but your response is equally ham-handed and idiotic.

91. Josh R. says:

I did a little research project and discovered it actually costs MORE for me to take the bus to work, and I miss out on the time I spend in the morning exercising. Also, because I exercise, no one I know gets to work at 630am and leaves at 515pm.

Atlanta SUCKS for mass transit. Most people commute in from the suburbs, and mass transit doesn’t go there because those counties are afraid it will bring in an undesirable element.

92. ihateauditions says:

@Bladefist: Thank you for neatly demonstrating my point that there are complete and total idiots in all points of the idealogical spectrum.

You, for an example, are a brain-free idiot on the right-hand side of the world.

Only the dumbest of people would look at the disaster in Iraq and think that the answer is “keep doing what we’re doing”, yet that is what Republicans propose. It’s too bad you don’t have the balls to go get shot in the face in Iraq, you dumb, hypocritical keyboard warrior.

93. ihateauditions says:

Also, I love that the staunch GOP idiots in this thread continue to claim that there was no possible way that politicians could have affected gas prices.

As though an enormous, expensive war that doubled our national debt has no relationship (whatsoever) to a weak dollar.

Idiots, all of em.

94. Sidecutter says:

@Bladefist: I tend to disagree somewhat. This is the interested parties setting the stage so that they can jack the price up to $3.50 or $3.75, and everyone will go “Whew! Glad we didn’t hit that $4 mark they were worried we would hit! We got lucky!”. of course, we really got screwed. Again.

95. medcat2010 says:

Hmm…looks like I’ll be going to class less than usual.

96. Bladefist says:

@ihateauditions: Thanks for the typical liberal response script. You’re like blockbuster, do you have like a firefox plugin with 3 buttons for 3 responses to conservs? Lol

97. bishophicks says:

I cut my driving by 1000 miles per year by working from home one day a week. I now drive about 7000 miles per year and my car gets over 35 MPG, so I basically buy 200 gallons of gas a year. If gas prices go up $1 it’s not going cost me that much more at the pump. But the cost of everything else is sure to be affected, too, since so much of what we buy is trucked or flown long distances.

I may try biking to work one day a week once the weather turns nice. It should be good for my heart and my wallet.

98. kc2idf says:

I will return to taking the bus as soon as the weather warms. I took the bus for the better part of last year, and, for the most part, was the only employee of my company doing so (save for a temp who was with us for a few weeks).

99. stinerman says:

@Bladefist:
    That’s a good point.

Robert Reich made a similar argument in his book Supercapitalism. Many of us complain about the labor practices of Wal-Mart or the oil companies, Haliburton, etc., but we still want those companies’ stock in our portfolios because they make a decent return.

There is a tradeoff to be made here, and funding both sides is obviously counterproductive. High wages, low prices, and high return simply cannot happen. You can only get 2 of the 3.

100. m4ximusprim3 says:

@AD8BC: My wife’s focus is at 170k and going strong. The focus hatchback:
    1) Gets great mileage
    2) Has an enormous amount of cargo room for such a small car. I always liken it to merlin’s bag in sword and the stone, cause you just keep stuffing crap in long after it should be full.
    3) Has towed my isuzu trooper when the clutch went out.
    4) just last weekend, we made two trips from the home depot to our house with in excess of a thousand pounds of paving stones in the back each trip.
    5) Had one issue with the transmission sensor (covered by warranty) and had the water pump fail once ($600).

Overall, I’d recommend it.

101. mthrndr says:

In Europe, gas was about $6 a gallon in 1999. In 1999 dollars, which would be something like $10 in today’s money. So while this is annoying, it’s not really that crazy. Also, if anyone thinks that gas prices will suddenly improve with Obama in office, you are beyond foolish. The POTUS has nothing at all to do with this stuff.

102. medcat2010 says:

At my other school, all I had to do was travel 5 miles in the morning and take a shuttle into the city and it dropped me right in front of the hospital. Total time 20 minutes. It was great, and cost me so little. Here, even the closest bus stop is outside of walking distance, and biking around here is not very safe (although people do it). Here everyone has ginormous vehicles, so I’ll bet my 35ish bucks a tank is nothing compared to what my neighbor with with the mini monster truck pays to fill his tank. It’s still 35 bucks more than taking that shuttle though.

103. Techguy1138 says:

@Bladefist:

$4 a gallon gas is not a scare tactic. It’s called inflation. Just like the $3 loaf of bread.
    Unless you don’t believe in inflation because you don’t bother to believe either media or government.

The government has a responsibility to govern and lead. this is done primarily through the signing of bills into law. The president has a great deal of power when shaping national energy policy.

He may not have been able to do anything about crude oil prices but there was plenty he could do about the rate of US consumption and setting up alternatives, in the form of public transportation or alternative energy.

This immense of lack of vision has hurt the consumers of this country. Energy consumption is critical part of the American national infrastructure and a key element in national security.

We are a less secure as a people and less able to sustain a war without international permission, including a war of self defense.

The economy has been grossly mismanages and our national priorities are in line with national needs. The job of the president is to stop that from happening.

104. @ihateauditions:

You can have a conservative financial perspective without being a member of the Republican party. It’s irresponsible to call people that disagree with you “staunch GOP idiots.”

In any event, you’re right – the cost of the war in Iraq has been a substantial contribution to our national debt. It hasn’t been anywhere close to “doubling” it though, and it’s a pittance compared to our social security commitments or the Democratic candidates’ proposed health care plans.

However, think in terms of perceived ROI. 80 billion spent in Iraq has the potential to return favorable oil arrangements for America at substantial financial benefit to its people. This “the Greenspan Defense” for Iraq. 54.6 trillion in social security (NPV) has the potential to return – what, exactly? Happy old folks? I mean, it could potentially increase the spending power of their children because the kids won’t be absorbing the care costs, but c’mon! What do you honestly think the better bet is?

105. Also, FYI – Bladefist is an idiot trying to pick fights. Don’t waste time with people who are unwilling to be civil or, you know, make points.

106. UpsetPanda says:

As much as I hate paying so much for gas…I can’t take on a car payment and I can’t move closer to work (I work in a crap part of town, a guy got shot in the nearby shopping mall the other night), so what to do, what to do? Nothing at all. Just grit my teeth and pay for gas. Plus, even if I bought a cheap and gas-efficient car, I’m still paying more than I would driving my paid off car even with all the gas money going down the drain.

107. jamesdenver says:

I’m proud of the fact that I’m not directly affected by fuel prices. I chooose to live in a neighborhood where I can walk and bike. I live in a city, or at least area in the city with good public transportation including rail – and long ago decided owning a smaller house in an older community would be much smarter than living in an isolated exurb.

of course we drive for weekend road trips and late at night to go to bars – but my commute to work is via bike or bus/train – and we can easily walk to grocery stores and restaurants in our community.

108. quail says:

Doesn’t anyone else remember back before 2000 when pundits said the price would never climb above $2 a gallon? Something about oil producing companies not wanting to make it profitable for people to go searching for new oil fields.

Then in 2002 they pundits kept saying the price would be over $3 a gal. For several years they said that and it never happened.

When it finally did go over $3 a gallon you heard different pundits saying different things about how long it would stay up there.

My point is I don’t think the soothsayer’s know what is going on or how it will play out. All I know is that the price of oil is tied to the dollar. As the dollar slips in value our price for purchase goes up. The rest of the world actually fairs better with this arrangement.

109. Techguy1138 says:

@ADismalScience: The war in Iraq was a bad bet to reduce the price of oil or our national need for it. It is a bad investment and continues to be one.

Nationally subsiding the cost of the elderly has a better chance of paying off. I don’t support this, btw. By sharing the cost over a broad section of the population no particular sector is especially hard hit by the financial implications. This lets business continue as usual or very close to it as opposed to causing a sudden negative shift in the national economy.

This is the exact argument for national health care. health care costs are crippling families and most large businesses. By the government stepping in for health costs the nation gets a workforce that is able bodied and can work. It also helps business compete on the international stage and make US workers more attractive than they were before.

That is why we had subsidized education. Given out success as a nation since it’s inception I’d say it’s paid off well.

110. MercuryPDX says:

I got called in to the office today for a 30 minute Phone Conference, and 15 minutes of email Q&A. My actual commute both ways was 45 minutes.

With this news I will definitely be pushing hard to do stuff that I can do from home, at home.

111. MercuryPDX says:

@quail: The actual running gag is:

Oil prices to rise due to… [shakes magic eight ball] <Insert specious reason here>.

They know very little, but it doesn’t stop them from using wild speculation to fill up their half hour on Cable news stations.

112. louveciennes says:

I stopped driving last May. I get around with a combo of public transportation (not as cheap as a lot of people seem to think, but still cheaper than having a car), bicycle, and feet. Luckily I live in a clement part of the world and I live near my job; I know not everyone has that option. Still, I wish more people would carpool, if they HAVE to drive.

113. @Techguy1138:

From an ROI perspective, I’d probably rank it:

1.) Education
    2.) Health care
    3.) Iraq
    497.) The elderly

114. jamesdenver says:

Also I care more about those living in the RURAL west – like a farmer who has to drive 40 miles round trip for supplies – or someone living in a small town commuting 40 miles to another small town job – than I do for us sitting in suburban offices wasting gas idling in traffic. Those who actually need to DRIVE their cars have my sympathy. Not those who go 5 mph for 10 miles. Or drive 2 miles because they “need” to pick up their kids at school.

115. Also, the title of “recession watch” for this post is kind of funny. Inflation is USUALLY the result of inventory effects in the course of an economic boom. Elevated inflation pressures in the face of the negative or flat economic growth is a bit of an economic mystery – likely prompted by overindulgence in debt.

116. Prince of Zemunda says:

@DashTheHand: I feel your pain. I am a PM and most of the people I work with are not even in the same damn city as I am. At least let me work from home 2 or 3 days a week. Instead I am stuck with management that thinks to work hard you need to be in an office. How about just measure me by the quality of my work and if it sucks, fire me!!!

117. Techguy1138 says:

@ADismalScience:
    Iraq ranks above infrastructure?
    Iraq ranks above Afghanistan?
    Iraq ranks above balancing the budget?
    Iraq ranks above national disaster preparedness?

Iraq will never “pay off” there will never be a positive return on investment. The best we can hope for is to make it so that it stops draining resources. Which paradoxically, at this point, requires staying.

The gray wave is a real threat to American prosperity with far greater long term impact. If not handled on a national scale it will plunge sections of the country into a strong downturn. It doesn’t look so bad yet because it greatly being ignored.

118. AD8BC says:

I agree… time to bring our guys home. The war was a good idea from the start but the people who need freedom have got to want it and be willing to die for it. Turns out they are a bunch of ingrates.

119. lostletters says:

This is why I live in a downtown area (DC) and do not drive or own a car. So rising gas prices only hurt in terms of inflation for groceries. But the truth is maybe these high gas prices will make more people consider if living in suburban sprawl and owning a car is worth it, especially since it is not a cost those of us in cities really have to deal with.

120. snoop-blog says:

i have a 1995 gt performer (bmx bike), and it takes less than 3 mins for me to ride to: work, 24 hour kroger (grocery), 3 fast food restaurants, starbucks, blockbuster, sprint/nextel, and 3 banks.

this was not accidental. when it came to finding a place i had three words, location, location, and location. even if i had a gas guzzler (actually i do) i can get away with $10-15 per week. so actually living closer doesn’t always motivate you to walk, or ride a bike.

121. spamtasticus says:

Full disclosure: I own a small (as in one pump in Kentuky producing about 200 barrels a day) oil company. Before anyone flames me I have zero infuence on the price of oil. I take what they give me. Period. That said, I do know a thing or two about the industry. Forget about the $4 per gallon price, It will get much much much worse a lot sooner than you think. The reason is that we are finding very few new oil reserves in the world and the ones we do find are minute compared to the vast ones found in the past. [en.wikipedia.org] This means 2 things to you the consumer. Find a way to travel more efficiently. Motorcycle, Public transportation etc. Alternative fuels are sexy but trust me, if you think that you are saving the enviroment with a hybrid or electric you don’t have a clue. Unless that electricity was generated by a nuclear power plant, solar power, geo thermal or some other non greenhouse emitter then all you did was mover your carbon emmissions farther up the line where you “Cant see it” but i’ts still there. The other interesting problem with crude production dropping off is that Air travel exists solely as a result of the mass to energy ratio of hydro carbon fuels. Simply put: Planes can’t fly on anything other than hydro carbon fuels in the manner that they do now (ie commercially). More simply put. When the oil runs out, No more airlines to complain about. For the poster that asked how many gallons of fuel in a barrel of oil:

A barrel contains 42 gallons. After refining, it makes about 19.5 gallons

of gasoline in addition to numerous other products such as heating oil.

122. @Techguy1138:

You cannot say that conclusively. I agree with your general conceit, which seems to be that Iraq got prioritized over more worthy iniatives. My list was a representation of the order in which I valued what we discussed, not a contextualization of the entire federal budget.

I do have a job I’m supposed to be doing right now, after all.

Iraq does have the potential to be a profitable enterprise. 80 billion dollars = 800 million barrels – a few years of output – and decreasing, to say nothing of the potential noneconomic benefits. I agree with you that it has not yet produced discernable rewards, but I suppose I’m more optimistic re: the ROI

123. synergy says:

Or. People could look into less urban sprawn which would lead to alternative transportation such as buses, subways, and the good old bicycle. Heck, the good ol’ legs and feet.

124. snoop-blog says:

@spamtasticus: excellent, post. thanks for bringing us some facts. i feel the same about hybrids. unfortunately some only care about saving money on gas. i personally think if we even give them the notion that we want hybrids, that’s as far as they’ll go with the whole cars getting away from gas. we need to boycott them, and force the industry to make a better option.

125. MercuryPDX says:

@AD8BC: I posture that they never should have went there in the first place, but agree. Enough is enough already. If we’re not going to get anything out of it (as an investment), then we should stop throwing good money after bad.

126. disavow says:

AFAIK, Iraq’s oil output is still below pre-2003 levels. It probably won’t reach that high until the insurgency is quelled, and who knows how long that will take. The only ways for the U.S. to recoup its spending there would be to take over the oil industry or to force Iraq to sell us oil at cutthroat rates, neither of which is likely.

I figured up my cost of taking the bus to work, and it added up to the equivalent of a 15% pay cut. Disadvantage of having a meatspace job.

127. pinkfreud says:

@Bladefist: you’re an idiot. look at gas prices during clinton vs. now. look at any price difference…wages anything. republicans=big business big business as political party=fascism

128. pinkfreud says:

@AD8BC: wow…i cant believe people even think this way….good from the start? in what way? was saddam going to tank our economy? jack out gas prices? no..it was stable predictable….fucking moron

129. @pinkfreud:

Are you familiar what “stable and predictable” Saddam did to the economy by invading Kuwait?

130. @Hawkins: Oh, dude, I’m so there. I want a Vespa SO. BAD.

On the more serious note, I’m getting a lot less cavalier about quick single errands in the car — I either stack them together or walk. I can’t ride my bike to work because I have to cross a river on a highway (motor vehicles only) bridge, even though it’s just a few miles.

I don’t drive a whole lot, live in a fairly walkable area, but just seeing the price over $3 makes me more conscious of conserving.

131. AD8BC says:

@pinkfreud: I respect your opinion. As well as MercuryPDX’s. I was for the war at the start, but I was truly hoping that the Iraquis could catch the ball and run with it. I’m all for freedom, including your freedom to call me a fucking moron, you dipshit.

132. trujunglist says:

Well, that would be fantastic. I’m barely getting by now, I can’t wait to pay like $15 more per tank.
    I noticed that gas prices jumped like 30 cents in the past 2 weeks, and like 20 cents in only a few days. It seems to me like the gas stations can’t keep up with the price changes because of the disparity between stations at times.

@Snarkysnake:

Umm, go fuck yourself. You seem to be totally OK, even snarky, with the fact that the POTUS and friends did jack shit for Katrina victims. I don’t think anyone blames Bush 2 for the fact that Katrina happened, because like you said, no one can control the weather. In fact, they (and most of the country) blame him for what he didn’t do before it to prepare and shortly afterwards to help. Seriously, fuck you and die in a fire.

And to the rest of you… I can’t understand how a pointless war in Iraq is an investment. It’s really interesting to see how casually people disregard the lives of the people involved. That investment you’re talking about? Yeah… well, I hate to break it to you (not that you give a shit you scummy pieces of crap), but your investment has cost countless lives. You religious neocons don’t have a problem with that as long as you can go to Wal-mart and buy 2 lbs of pork chops on sale, huh? I agree that there’s a chance that this “investment” will pay off for the US… a fucking dismal chance, because guess what, more people hate us now than ever. Terrorist attacks haven’t stopped, and definitely won’t. You know, I’d never call a game before it was over, especially for my own team, but when my team is losing by like 30 points, even in the first half, even if they’re the team with the greatest players ever, I still have to doubt their ability to come back and win in the long haul. Most people do the same; make judgements for the future based on experience. In my experience, the Iraq war is a total fucking disaster. Why would I project the long term, with all the bullshit spewed from our great leaders about how the short term AND long term would be an outstanding success (even though I strongly doubted it then), to be a success? Exactly, I don’t.

133. Techguy1138 says:

@ADismalScience: The only way I can see the US getting an ROI would be to take the oil wells.

The true cost to the US will be in the multiple trillions. Before the Iraq war gas was $~20 a gallon. The cost should also include the oil price increse so an roi even on your number would need to be 3-5x as much. Treating this as a business expense don’t forget the fact the war is financed on debt. The interest will also need to be factored in.

So if we didn’t drop another dime we still need approximately 2.4 – 4 billion barrels of light sweet crude to break even.

We see things in a similar fashion except I believe the costs to be far higher than you. Even taking your numbers as fact I’d find it difficult to be optimistic.
    Given my pessimistic view of costs Iraq will be to the US what the Panama canal was to the French.

Either way I’m sure my Exxon stock can only rise on this news.

134. GearheadGeek says:

@ADismalScience: You have the wrong Bush there… Saddam invaded Kuwait when Bush 41 was president. You know, the one who didn’t sidestep the draft, desert his post and didn’t leave a trail of failed enterprises in his wake before becoming a politician. Bush 41 beat the crap out of the Iraqi military, drove them back within the borders of their country and largely got our troops out of the situation rather than stepping into the quicksand of “regime change.”

135. bizzz says:

It’s nice to see a few people riding their bikes. I’m really surprised at the number of people that turn their noses up at bikes and don’t see it as a viable form of transportation.

$3 was the cutoff line to get me out of my car. I pulled the bike out of my garage I hadn’t ridden in probably 10 years and started riding the 23 miles each way to work.
    Of course I couldn’t do it every day, I found out I was in horrible shape from all those years of sitting behind a desk, sitting behind the wheel of my car, etc.

Since then I found a new job a bit closer to my house, but it just means I ride more times per week. I probably save at least $150 a month in just gas alone (not to mention the depreciation savings from not driving my car). It generally takes me 1/2 an hour longer to get to work on my bike vs. my car, but it is still about 1/2 an hour quicker than trying to take the bus.

$3 gas was probably the best thing that ever happened to me (health-wise and money-wise). If I can do it, I’m willing to bet 99% of the people on this blog could do it too.

136. @Techguy1138:

You have the cost basis wrong there – billing p/bbl to Iraq is conflating all kinds of price factors. The whole approach you’ve taken is inflamed by personal politics.

137. yesteryear says:

@spamtasticus: chilling. peak oil coming from an oilman himself. thank you for that honest insight.

personally, i think its too bad that oil prices and consumption/pollution have become such a polarizing, political issue because of the war (see countless comments above). anger and money are distracting us from the real problem, which is of course climate change. i am just like everyone else, watching gas prices skyrocket and thinking of myself and my own bottom line… but this is about more than economics. people need to make lifestyle changes, re-arrange their living-working situations, re-consider everything. it’s major. oil’s not getting cheaper. and one day (some say in the next 25 years) it will be gone. then what?

138. yesteryear says:

@bizzz: oh, also – great post. inspiring.

139. Delph1an says:

Glad we converted our Jetta 2002 TDI to run on vegetable oil for $1000 (Greasecar.com). Now we have free fuel…well I do have to fill up my regular diesel tank every 2000miles, so I guess it’s not totally free. Thought $4/gal gas would have already happened last christmas. Oh well.

140. MYarms says:

Oh waaa diesel users will be paying $4/gal next month. I’m already paying 3.60/gal now.

141. peggynature says:

I’m not worried about the price of gas — I walk everywhere.

I am, however, slightly worried about the price of everything else.

142. taka2k7 says:

@AD8BC: If you drives for her job, then the mileage is tax deductable… so yes we will bitch about it. (Assuming your marginal rate is 15%, then each mile driven is something like 7 cents off your taxes (0.15 x 48 cents / mile. My SL2 gets about 30 mpg. Assuming yours is the same (it’s 6 years newer so it should be), then that works out to about $2 per gallon discount….) (of course the 48 cents is supposed to offset maintenance and insurance, so the per gallon discount is probably significantly less, but not insiginificant).

143. taka2k7 says:

any hoot… I’ll be overseas for a year beginning in the summer. Only travel will be 3 miles to work in company vehicle. Sooo, no paying for gas for a year!!! Then again, being away from family will suck and wife will have to drive kids to school each day.

If I was staying in the US, I’d at least start driving to the closest park and ride and take the bus into work. (Company pays for monthly bus pass). In the summer, I would ride bike to bus stop. I live approximately 20 miles from work.

144. SayAhh says:

Why are you surprised? It (87 octane) almost hit $4 last year (91 went over $4). Maybe you meant the national average, because Alaska residents have been paying much higher gas prices since who remembers when ($8?). Bottom line: if Republicans win, higher gas prices; if Democrats win, even higher gasoline prices. Gouging is apparently legal if you are a corporation with sexy lobbyists and genius lawyers. Now if anyone would look into OPEC’s decisions to simply cut production whenever they want, regardless of demand…

I’m not pretending to be holier than thou; I have to drive to work, too, because the last time I tried biking to work (3 days in a row), I screwed up my knees and am still paying for it more than a year after the fact… That said, I’d buy a new car (electric, hydrogen, solar, nuclear or whatever) at twice the cost of my old car if it’ll save the environment. [Arguably, Priuses cause more pre-assembled pollution than average cars due to battery mining and stuff...]

145. scottyxlr8r says:

Price Breakdown:

distribution & marketing 1.5%
    crude 70.6%
    refineries 9%
    gov’t 18.6%
    (99.7% – discrepency due to rounding)
    (Price from Feb 25, 2008)

Americans aren’t the ones making $ from oil.

Reference: [www.energy.ca.gov]

146. theblackdog says:

I already take PT as often as possible, which is probably why I fill my tank every 3-4 weeks.

I noticed yesterday that the Costco in my area, which is usually 10-20 cents cheaper than other gas stations, broke the $3 mark…that tells me things are getting bad.

147. Nighthawke says:

@m4ximusprim3: Now hold it.. How did you manage to get a TARDIS that looks like a pregnant rollerskate?

Just kidding.. Glad you got a nice car and hope that’ll hold up until you can afford something nicer.

148. Anonymous says:

@AD8BC: Heh, heh. While I’m voting Democratic in the upcoming election, I like the idea of a “Common Sense” party ;) I’ve often wondered how hard it would be to get the centrists from both parties together in such a way (and to tell both the Greens/Nader-ites and the James Dobsons/Ralph Reeds of the world to go pound sand)

from a fellow D/FW resident.

149. MCGeest says:

@spamtasticus: You are conveniently ignorant for an oil salesman about the product you sell. Electric vehicles are not more fuel efficient they are more ENERGY efficient because gasoline engines are not efficient and the vast majority of energy goes to waste due to heat. When oil is being fed to the grid they use a far more efficient process (of course they do it is much larger scale and it’s all about efficiency in that field because that equals costs). It’s even better than that. It is more efficient to turn your gasoline in electricity in your hybrid using the mini generator and use it to drive the electric motor…. How crazy is that? So it takes less crude to drive a Prius mile than say a gasoline variant.

150. SeverinoLeto says:

It’s interesting to look back at these comments now that gas IS $4/gallon.  Lets see, Bladefist said that $4 gas is a liberal scare tactic.  I think we can safely call him a
    “dumb ass”.