Best Buy Overlaps Their Product Service Plans With Manufacturer's Warranty

Wiliam writes in to point out something he noticed in the fine print of Best Buy’s Product Service Plan: it begins as soon as you purchase the item, and doesn’t cover anything covered by the manufacturer’s warranty. If you have a one-year manufacturer’s warranty and a two-year PSP, you effectively get only one year of coverage out of the PSP.

I’m one of those consumers who always seems to end up with defective big ticket items. I’ve had a laptop, HDTV and Xbox360 all die just after a year of the initial purchase. Thanks to Product Service Plans and Extended Warranties I got all three items replaced which saved me close to $2,500.

While prepping to buy an iPod Touch I decided to read through Best Buy’s Product Service Plan again to make sure I understood how it worked. The following two sections caught my attention immediately.

Coverage under this Plan expires one (1), two (2), three (3), four (4) or five (5) years from the original product purchase date as stated on your purchase receipt.
[...]
Manufacturer’s Responsibilities: Parts and services covered during the manufacturer’s warranty period are the responsibility of the manufacturer and not covered under this Plan.

In the past I’ve been lucky (lucky?) enough to have the item die just after the manufacturer’s warranty ended. I had assumed that buying a two year service plan from Best Buy would have guaranteed me two more years of service – turns out that’s not true.

When Best Buy sells a 2 Year Product Service Plan it starts immediately and runs concurrently with the existing manufacturers warranty. I would call it double coverage on the product except for that second section.

I spoke to the folks at my local Best Buy (I’m lucky enough to live near a BB where the folks know the system pretty well) and they confirmed it to me – even though they call it a two year service plan they really only cover the second year of service because the manufacturer is responsible for the first year.

Is it me or is this clearly deceptive? When you walk into a Best Buy and purchase a 2 year Product Service Plan (which they regularly call an “Extended Warranty” at checkout) you expect it to kick in after the manufacturer’s warranty … right?

Thanks, William, for the info! But we can’t believe you’d be brave enough to admit on Consumerist that you have repeatedly purchased Product Service Plans from Best Buy. For the love of god, go easy on him, readers.

Comments

1. loganmo says:

I thought everyone knew that…I don’t think BB is that deceptive about this? Extended warranties from anywhere almost always start on the purchase date.

2. reasonsnotrules says:

So, you would go around signing any contract without reading it first? I got one for you to sign. Also, on the topic of the service plan if you read the fine print, it covers things not covered by the manufacturer and it allows you to bring the item to the store since best buy will honor manufacturers warranties.

3. boblc123 says:

yeah its the same way at Circuit City. I thought everyone knew it.

4. Pec says:

Even the the majority of veteran Best Buy employees don’t know this.

Every time I go shopping for consumer electronics It tickles me inside when I get the opportunity to inform the sales associate (not just BB, but Circuit City, Staples, etc) that they are lying and they don’t even know it.

5. Half Beast says:

It’s ‘somewhat’ deceptive, but commonplace.
    For example, most laptops only have a one year warranty, and purchasing an upgrade doesn’t add years to the end of said warranty, but rather extends it to the specified time.

6. guspaz says:

Duh, everybody knows this. It’s plainly stated on your receipt too. (at FutureShop, who BB own/operate) the date your extended warranty expires is printed clearly on your receipt…

As much as I hate it when companies like BB screw the little guy, it’s not BB’s fault when the consumer is an idiot, and it’s not their fault if the consumer makes incorrect assumptions that reasonable people wouldn’t.

7. Jon Mason says:

My amazing psychic abilities predict a “Why shop at Best Buy?” comment in 3…2…1

8. ludwigk says:

Does it provide additional coverage, such as breakage and accidental damage? If so, it could be worth it. If it basically extends warranty coverage by an additional year, just get AppleCare for iPod instead.

9. Michael Belisle says:

There are exceptions like speakers, which are covered for 4 years after the manufacturers warranty expires.

10. techman01 says:

Everyone’s guarantees start at time of purchase; and as far as I know, that is because you then deal directly with the Best Buy or whichever retailer it may be. No need to call the manufacter and wait months to get a product fixed.

11. Prince of Zemunda says:

@Pec: They know it…they just hope you don’t.

12. warf0x0r says:

Um, yeah this is how its always worked. No surprise.

imho bad post.

13. shadow735 says:

First as far as I know that it nothing new, second you are buying an IPOD from bestbuy? go to Apple directly. Also read into those contracts because now your new ipod that doesnt work after a year will be replaced with a refurbished unit.

14. Michael Belisle says:

I’m sorry, that’s five years. Other exceptions:

Conventional washers: Three (3) or five (5) years of protection beyond the manufacturer’s warranty for the transmission or drive motor for front-loading washers (parts only).

Refrigerators and freezers: Three (3) or five (5) years of protection beyond the manufacturer’s warranty are provided for the compressor (parts only).

Air conditioners: Sealed system coverage and two (2) or four (4) additional years protection for the compressor (parts only).

Home speakers: Five (5) additional years of protection beyond the original manufacturer’s warranty (parts and labor). [From BestBuy.com, but unlinkable.]

15. gatopeligroso says:

I think people are confusing two different things. There are Extended Warranties, and there are Service Plans. I live in Chicago and shop quite a bit at Fry’s. When we bought our Plasma, we got their Service Plan cause it offered a loaner. If the thing goes bad, they will pick up our old unit and deliver a loaner until ours is repaired. Then they’ll come back out and drop off our repaired unit and take their loaner back. Talk about saving on the back breaking labor. Even if the first year runs concurrent with with the manufacturer’s warranty, there would be a benefit in having it covered by Fry’s as well.

16. Yoooder says:

This might be in the fine print, but it’s a pretty standard practice. When Wal-Mart began talk of entering the ESP business a couple of years ago they were going to take the approach that the ESPs that they sold would begin the day that the OEM Service Plan ended.

This was a mixed bag as the OEM plan may be worse than WalMarts, potentially making people wait for their OEM plan to end before getting a resolution–however they were able to offer significant price-savings on their ESPs due to their lack of overlap.

17. SchecterShredder says:

Best Buy is still around eh? Unbelievable. I stopped shopping there years ago. I don’t understand why anyone would shop there unless they like getting the WORST customer service on the planet.

18. freshyill says:

There’s one important exception to this: Speakers. When I worked there in 2002-2003, I bought a really nice set of JBL bookshelf speakers on closeout for $40. I didn’t bother with the PSP at first because nice speakers generally have really good warranties. Five years, in the case of the ones I bought. Right after I bought them, my boss asked me if I got the PSP, and I said no. That’s when I learned that it tacks onto the end of the warranty for speakers.

Coincidentally, I was just going through old files last night, and I was throwing away old warranties that had expired, and I made sure to look at this one. Sure enough, it says 4-year *add-on* PSP.

For the record, when you work at Best Buy, the service and replacement plans are ridiculously cheap, and they’re almost always worth the few bucks they cost you, so I bought them on everything back then. Most of them are ripoffs for the general public, however.

19. freshyill says:

Oops, I got my four and five mixed up, I think.

20. freshyill says:

@SchecterShredder: I go there to be left alone while I shop. So, yeah, I guess that is why I go there!

21. pengie says:

Pretty commonplace, same thing at Circuit City.

I don’t know about Best Buy, but on computers, the CC protection plan DID cover things in the first year that the manufacturer wouldn’t. Customers were encouraged to contact the manufacturer first, but if they turned you down, CC would gladly pick it up. That was years ago, though, so I’m not sure how it is now…

22. Rando says:

Purchase your items on a visa card. Visa automatically doubles the manufactures warrenty.

23. cosby says:

This is common place for a service contract like what best buy sells. Even though they end up sending repairs off to the MFG you still can have some benefits that they have that the vendor does not.

In the case of a computer you might have free backups before they send it out or free checkups.

TV’s as someone mentioned with the plan they got elcewhere might have onsite support or a loaner program.

It is just up to the consumer to decide if they want to pay for it or not. In the case of the guy here is sounds like he has been getting a good deal out of them as he has needed it.

24. cliffordmanning says:

First, I thought most consumers knew this.

Second, I believe this poster does not understand it correctly, or has run across a rare exception.

Third, the BB service plan will cover anything the manufacturer’s warranty covers, most of the time, in addition to other things (Like accidents with cameras). And, if your item still has a manufacturer’s warranty, you don’t have to go through them to get it fixed. Simply bring it to the store and we’ll take it from there. Also, many times the service plan will give you a brand new item, if it’s too expensive to fix said item (most manufacturer’s don’t offer this–to my knowledge–and a great example is a DSLR lens).

25. spartan789 says:

From what I understand a bunch of CCs (my Citi MC and at least one other) will extend your warranty for an additional year. That alone makes that card worth it, plus I don’t have to deal with BB.

26. Brine says:

I knew this when I purchased the plan for my Xbox 360, although back then, Microsoft’s warranty was only 90 days. It was then changed to a year, my 360 broke, and did a quick swap at the store without using up the plan. Now that it is a 3 year warranty, my plan is useless. :)

27. Michael Belisle says:

@freshyill: I heard they changed the employee discount on plans a few years ago. Employees no longer pay cost+whatever %, but instead get something like a 15% discount.

In related news, I remember having a manager called to the register as I tried to buy a VCR with my employee discount without the plan (VCRs broke a lot, so the plan cost wasn’t cheap). “I’m really disappointed in you. The PSP pays your paycheck,” I was told. I left with a VCR, a 4-year PSP, and my tail between my legs.

28. This is new news? To play the devil’s advocate, instead of dealing with the manufacturer, you’re dealing with Best Buy, which, in my opinion, is the lesser of the two evils. As I consumer, I hate nothing more than having to deal with manufacturers/tech support/customer service over the phone. I’d rather be able to walk into Best Buy and get it replaced.

On top of that, there are certain things that manufacturers would not cover that the Best Buy replacement plans and service plans would. For example, a few years ago, I know Apple only covered the iPod battery for a short time, then after that, you’d have to pay $100 for a replacement. Best Buy’s service plan covers batter replacements for 3 years if you have a significant loss of charge. This is the same deal with laptop batteries.

29. Derp says:

Well, if you have a 2 year product replacement plan, you get to exchange it unlimitedly in the manufacturer’s warranty, where without it, you have to go through the manufacturer. We’ve all seen how that goes for some consumers on this website, have we not?

30. shammer says:

Depending on the nature of the product, and it does vary on every department, the store bought extended warranty may supersede the manufacturer’s warranty. Yes, the PSP does start upon the purchasing of a product, so basically it runs simultaneously with the manufacturer’s promise, however many times the manufacturer won’t cover anything except specified parts or labor, which kinda sucks. Even for the cases where BB sends stuff out to the manufacturer for repair, at least the cost of transport, delays and potential replacement parts are absorbed by BB and not the customer. Also, sometimes by shipping directly to the MF with just the MFG can be a hassle since there is no limited time frame of return. I had a camera that had a 1 year MFG, and I purchased a 3 year extended plan. Future Shop policy is that if the item is out for repair more than 60 days, it merits an exchange. So on my 61st day, I got to choose a brand new equivalent which after one year had almost double the mega-pixels and a lot more features.

31. m4ximusprim3 says:

@busydoingnothing: Right, but thats the point. For the first year, if it’s covered under the manufacturers warranty, best buy will point you at them. So you’re really not getting anything unless its NOT covered under manufacturers warranty but IS covered under the BB one.

32. elislider says:

this is exactly the same way the service plans work at CompUSA too. if it is in the first year since you bought it, compusa sends your computer to the manufacturer for you basically. then between year 1 and year 2 it either gets fixed in-house or send to a compusa repair depot (for laptops). the only difference is, the compusa plan covers screen replacements (for laptops), while the manufacturer doesnt, so if you break your screen at any point in the 2 years, it is fixed by compusa.

33. aafender says:

This is even a post here? C’mon, just read the fine print. There’s nothing sneaky to the warranty.

I work at best buy, and make sure to explain everything in detail to whomever buys the warranty on the ipods– “starts at date of purchase,” “does not cover catastrophic damage…”, but the worst thing you can do as a shopper is come into a store unprepared, without any research having been done, and just accepting a service contract without any questioning. Now, I can’t speak for the other uneducated kids who work at all the other best buys, but the one thing they drill down to us at my store is 1. don’t call it an extended warranty; 2. explain the terms in full.

just a little tip, though. if you’re buying an ipod/mp3 player whose value is over 299, and the service plan is available with best buy, it’s less of a hassle for fulfillment of the plan if you go through the manufacturer and get their warranty. however, in many cases, tracking down a manufacturer is more of a hassle than finding a best buy and sending the offending product in.

however, for anything below $299, bby offers a replacement plan. It’s only 2 years (again, starting from date of purchase), but it does cover an in-store replacement when your battery shits the bed. that is worth it, in my opinion. fulfillment is very lenient, at least at my store.

34. Draconianspark says:

@busydoingnothing: They cover *one* battery replacement, any more than that and you’re at the discretion of the adjuster.

35. Parting says:

If an extended warranty overlaps, but covers accidental damage the 1st year, it’s maybe still worth it. Do your homework before buying :)

36. mrjimbo19 says:

No offense but if you did not know this you really need to read the contracts you sign up for more… Best Buy has been careful about the wording on these plans for a reason.

37. jimconsumer says:

No, it’s not just you. Yes, it’s clearly deceptive. Everything about their service plans is deceptive. For instance, on their repair service plans, they say if it breaks 3 times, on the 4th problem they’ll replace it. Here’s what they don’t tell you: If the service center claims nothing is wrong with it, even though something clearly is, that does not count against the 3 times. It also does not count toward the warranty and you will be asked to pay a $30 charge for the non-repair. Yes, even if you prove to management that the device really is broken and the repair center is full of shit, they do not care.

My iPod took 7 trips to the repair shop at 3 to 4 weeks EACH – almost 6 months I did not have access to my iPod – and Best Buy still refused to replace it. Only when I finally threatened to sue their ass and sent nasty emails to their executive customer service did they decide to honor the terms of their extended warranty.

Oh, and their replacement plans? Let’s say you have a 4 year warranty. In year 2, the product breaks and they give you a new one. Your warranty is now over. You do NOT get the other 2 years, once they replace the product the warranty is considered “fulfilled” and they have no further obligation to you.

Never, ever again will I buy anything from Worst Buy.

38. joerdie says:

I too am in the camp that thought everyone knew this. But as I read this article, all I kept thinking was, “people buy the plans from electronic stores?” I really didn’t think that anyone did that!?!

39. Sure I could agree with you, but then we'd BOTH be wrong. says:

@Brine:

The 3-year warranty on the Xbox only covers one thing: The Red Ring Of Death.

Any other problems (CD tray breaking down, video card failure, etc) are under the original warranty.

40. Sure I could agree with you, but then we'd BOTH be wrong. says:

It should be noted that they also have a “buy-out” clause — If they deem it better than replacing the unit, they can “refund your original purchase price” and end the contract. This means that if you got something on clearance, and paid a really low price, on sale, etc. They only have to refund you WHAT YOU PAID (for the item only, not for the contract) and not replace the unit or giveyou something of equivalent value.

41. Osi says:

No, by the definition of the name “Extended”, it means that the Extended Warranty starts after the manufacture warranty ends. This is clearly a fraud case.

42. Michael Belisle says:

@jimconsumer: The $30 charge is in the contract. And of course it won’t count towards the three strikes if they decide it’s not a problem. You thought you could send it off three times, pay $30×3=$90 and get a new one? Of course you didn’t.

And the that the replacement plan is a one-shot deal is in the third paragraph: “Once a replacement voucher has been issued after the manufacturer’s warranty has expired, this Plan is terminated.” I think this makes sense, because they send you a voucher as soon as you request one. You are free to buy a replacement plan on the replacement (or buy whatever else you want).

But your experience with the PSP is saddening. I’m glad you stuck to your guns and got something worked out.

43. Michael Belisle says:

@Jinx: It’s called a “Performance Service Plan”.

The operative word according to Best Buy is performance: it covers everything the manufacturer’s warranty does and provides additional coverage (like wear and tear due to normal usage and various things others have mentioned) during and after the manufacturer’s warranty.

Saying “extended” is a big no-no. If a salesperson does say that to you, calling over a manager would be great fun.

44. I always buy the extended warranties. Everything I buy is crap like my Sony LCD TV, my fancy coffee maker, everything. I am to stupid to ever get anything of value so I always have to buy the extended warranties.

I know they are a rip off but everything I have is pure crap anyway.

45. aafender says:

@Michael Belisle:

Right on.

read over the literature. Nowhere does it say “extended warranty.”

46. BlueModred says:

This is a non-issue. The service plans cover way more than the manufacturer’s warranty, so why would you want less coverage as opposed to buying more?

47. mikep7779 says:

Just to comment on this, i am a best buy employee. The PSP/PRP (Product service plan/Product replacement plan) do run alongside of the manufacturers. However you will find that Best Buys service plans also cover the degradation of your battery, you ac adapter, power surges and if you get an accidental protection plan they cover psychical damage.

Even as an employee i always buy one where i can.

As for a pro tip : If you get a PRP you can mail in the product, in return they will mail you back a check for the FULL amount you paid minus the price of the PRP. I don’t know about you, but its worth the $25 for me every 3 years to get the newest ipod :D.

48. Natheo says:

Extended warranties have always been like this as far as I know. For consumer electronics it usually means being able to swap it at the store as opposed to sending it out.

49. Michael Belisle says:

@Pec: The “majority”? Is that with a sample size of one or two employees who work at your local Best Buy?

50. gStein_*|bringing starpipe back|* says:

this is a bit deceiving… i bought an extended warranty via BB for my laptop. battery went bad after 6 months, was not covered under manufacturer’s warranty, but best buy replaced it, albeit it took a month to replace.

51. Frostberg says:

Store purchased plans usually cover more than just “manufacture defects” of course there is an overlap. Would you rather the product breaks from normal wear and tear (such as buttons sticking on a nintendo DS) and not be covered by the manufacturer or be covered with a performance plan?

52. wellfleet says:

It’s not called an extended warranty, it’s a performance service plan. EVERYONE knows it starts the day you purchase it. In fact, if you look at your receipt for the PSP expiration date, you will see a date 3 or 4 or 5 years from the date of purchase. Further, BB’s PSP cover you *beyond* the manufacturer’s warranty, i.e. for wear and tear, dust, humidity, etc. Most of all, they cover power surges, something the manufacturer does not cover. If you live in a lightning-prone area, this is worth the price alone. I replaced two computers this week for customers whose CPUs were fried in our recent storms.
    Some retailers’ service plans start after the manufacturer’s warranty, Home Depot, for example, but during that first year you MUST go through the manufacturer to get service.
    I’m soooooo over people ripping into BB for something that is plainly stated in the PSP brochure. How is it deceptive if you don’t read what you sign on for or don’t ask questions? I’ve never had a customer *not* know this fact and I work in appliances!
    If you’re still bummed, you have a 30-day return policy on the PSP for a full refund. After that, it’s prorated, so you may lose a few dollars, but can still can a refund for the money you paid. You’re not stuck with the PSP.
    I’m sorry if you feel duped, my store’s customers are aware of this fact, and we are quick to tell them the truth should they ask. Shocking, I know.

53. macsmith230 says:

I used to buy the PSP, until BB refused to honor the one we bought on our digital camera. It started going all wonky one day, turned on, but wouldn’t take pictures.

Took it in, and they sent it off for repair. 3 weeks later I called and they said it would cost $400.00 to repair, even though the camera only cost $350.00. Then they said it wasn’t covered by the manufacturer’s warranty or the PSP, because the repair place said it had water damage and it was our fault.

I was furious, went to pick up the camera, and the guy gave it back to me and it was in a plastic bag. He pulled it out of the bag and the camera just fell apart. Apparently the guys at the repair place forgot to put it back together correctly before sending it back. I’m sorry, but if you can’t put it back together the right way, then I’m more than suspicious about your assessment of what’s wrong with the camera.

After a million other trials and tribulations, we finally got someone at corporate to give us a gift card for the amount of a new camera, after he researched the case and said there was no evidence that we broke the camera.

Now I don’t shop at BB, and I don’t buy the PSP. Instead I try to buy a good product that won’t break within a year.

54. Buran says:

@cliffordmanning: Nikon offers a five-year warranty in the US on US-market SLR lenses. I’m not sure what Canon’s policy is (or the smaller mfrs like Pentax and Sigma). Credit card extended warranties usually only offer an extra year if the warranty is only a year long. But check your warranty papers and credit card papers.

55. Part-Time-Viking says:

What? Run out of negative things to say about Best Buy and now you have to pick at something that is not only common knowledge but is also a common practice? Tell me one retail chain that starts their extended warranty after the MFG warranty expires.

Seriously, this mudslinging against Best Buy is seriously getting old. At least wait till something worthwhile shows up.

56. jamar0303 says:

I feel no need to buy this. Why? The manufacturer’s extended warranty covers everything I need it to. For example, Panasonic’s warranty covers all accidental damage.

57. m4nea says:

@Jinx: some people are SADLY misinformed regarding this issue :S

58. XianZhuXuande says:

This is very common… many retailers do this because their warranty covers things the manufacturer won’t even consider (such as humidity, heat, power surges, and, if covered, replacement or accidental damage). What would a consumer say if he purchased a warranty for one of these things and was told that, no, they cannot get the PSU and motherboard of their fried computer fixed because it is under the manufacturer’s warranty, which does not cover power surges, and that they must wait until it expires so the protection plan can kick in.

Whether protection plans are a good purchase or not is its own question, but if you do decide to get one, read the fine print so you know what you are up against and how you can use it when it is needed (and don’t trust what the employee told you). If this comes as news to you, though, label yourself an uninformed consumer.

59. rikkus256 says:

VISA/Mastercard/AMEX all doubles your warranty to up to an additional year “for free”

60. RetailPM says:

I have found that while these extended warranties are expensive they are worth it for certain high ticket items where product deflation is relatively low (which should now be a more pertinent issue given rising production costs and China) and the odds of product failure relatively high. Another benefit is there is no need for record keeping on the consumer’s part. If you buy a warranty from Circuit City for eg., you can move to a different state and call them and they have your covered purchase in their data base. The in-home service is especially good for large items, i have found, and its usage is generally unlimited by the plan. The last point I will make is that of convenience. If you have a problem with a product with a retailer warranty the retailer replaces the product – its that simple. Compare that with trying to find your receipt and packaging the product, etc. and mailing it back to the manufacturer. No contest in terms of both simplicity and immediate gratification. Oh, and another thing, given the fast product replacement cycle and tech upgrades the “comparable model” that replaces yours will be superior to the one you originally purchased.

61. mikep7779 says:

@rikkus256: Yes, but you have to wait a really long time for them to “approve” the claim. Sometimes >6 months

62. Eilonwynn says:

I just went through this with my boss maybe 2 days ago. He wanted to know why I was demanding he buy the extended warranty / service plan on a printer. The reason I did this was because, at staples canada, if the product is under $200, it is a direct replacement / credit for the item. So all he has to do is walk in there with his receipt, tell them he wants a new one, even a different make / model, and they will give it to him – and no staples has ever given me the least bit of hassle about it (and I REALLY doubt they’d do it to him – he’s a much more… difficult… person when upset than I am). For that, the $10 on a $100 printer is more than worth it.

63. ThirstyEar2 says:

Sears Master Protection Agreement works just like that. Only they don’t hide that fact from you. The MPA also doesn’t cover cosmetic damage to the item.

64. Deusfaux says:

But it’s not an extended warranty so there’s no reason to assume it extends the warranty another 2 years.

It’s a 2 year SERVICE plan which in many ways will go beyond the level of coverage offered by the manufacturer’s warranty.

65. Catperson says:

@shadow735: Or buy your iPod from Amazon, who actually offers discounts on iPods.

66. f3rg says:

I check this stie about 2-3 times a week, and I’m always guaranteed to see a post about Best Buy screwing its customers. I can’t wait to watch them go under.

67. CSUSam says:

No, it is NOT the same way at Circuit City.I work at a Circuit City and the Extended Service Plans begin at the end of the manufacturer warranty. If you purchase the plans that cover accidental damage, the accidental coverage begins on day one and goes for two years, but the normal parts and labor crap is two years after the manufacturer warranty.

And even though I work there and have to sell them, no, I do not believe in them for anything accept some laptops.

68. Chase says:

Best Buy causes AIDS.

69. HOP says:

BEST BUY SUCKETH

70. hi says:

DIETBESTBUYTDIE

71. ARPRINCE says:

You don’t need a BB extended warranty! Check with your credit card, they usually extend the manufacturer’s warranty up to a year when it ends as others have posted.

72. Michael Belisle says:

@hi: That’s German for “The Best Buy, the”.

73. Nerv2020 says:

I work for HHGregg and we sell ESP’s or extended service plans underwritten by General Electric. These ESPs are supplemental to the manufacturer’s warranty and include things like protection against power surges if you don’t use a surge protector (mandated my manufacturer warranty in many cases) and they also expedite service. In all honesty, most things you don’t need an ESP for…

Things like projection TV’s, though, the ESP covers bulbs, so you can buy a 5 year plan and get 2 bulbs paid for and have saved a cool $150, same thing with laptop “premier” ESP’s which cover dropping the unit or spilling beer or something on it that is never covered by manufacturer warranty.

One thing to avoid is any additional warranty on Dyson vacuum cleaners, they come with a 5 year EXCHANGE warranty anywhere you buy them. If it screws up, you get a NEW one, good stuff.

74. onethingsright says:

This is not deceptive. If you read it, you will know that it covers things the manufacturer won’t cover during the first year. Like dust, heat, humidity, normal wear and tear, and power surge) In addition to the extra coverages, you don’t have to send it anywhere. Best Buy does the shipping for you. I don’t mind the warranties being concurrent because it is so much more convenient. Items under the service plans that came with rechargable batteries include one free replacement of the battery, cleanings on applicable products. Ask yourself how much you would use the item and the average cost of repair. Then make your decision. There’s no wrong decision.

75. RvLeshrac says:

The Sales section of the store chain at which I work sells plans that EXTEND the manufacturer’s warranty, as well as “Day-1″ plans.

That doesn’t help us. The majority of the service plans that are sold begin coverage AFTER the manufacturer’s warranty expires. People will come in and get angry with us because we won’t repair the item and direct them instead to the manufacturer, or offer to ship to the manufacturer for them since they purchased an extended warranty.

A gentleman got upset with me several days ago regarding an early battery failure in his system. When I directed him to the manufacturer, he rolled his eyes and said “So I just wasted $X on the service plan then?” and turned to the person with him and said “See, I told you it was just going to be a waste of money.”

I offered repair services to him, and explained to him that we would have to confirm the problem before getting a new battery under warranty – which would take substantially longer than if he just went home and called up the manufacturer. I was trying to save him *SEVERAL DAYS* on his replacement, and explained that the service plan was never intended to cover “disposable” parts, nor was it meant to cover products under the manufacturer’s warranty, except insofar as we’ll handle the RMA headaches.

As another customer who was with me at the time said, “You just can’t help some people.”

76. Kahyaki says:

Same with the CompUSA… I bought an HP laptop with extended service plan I stupidity thought I was buying HP total care… My Bad. Then as you all know CompUSA died. I called hp for the laptop fix and they told me that I don’t have a protection plan. Nice! Ok Let’s call dead CompUSA tech support… – After 80 minutes – Ahaaa! the plan was actually not starting from the end of my Laptop’s regular warranty and the guy on the phone didn’t do anything and told me to send the laptop to the third party tech support people to get it fixed.

My Advice? Go and buy warranty plans directly from the manufacturer, extended warranty is a good thing.

77. SpenceMan01 says:

There seems to be a bit of muddling and interchanging regarding Best Buy’s product plans. There are two types of plans: Performance Service Plans, and Product Replacement Plans.

Performance Service Plans last X years and begin on the date of purchase (after the mfr. warranty for some products). If the product fails, they will SERVICE the product and get it working again. For some products and plans they will service them in your home, others you need to bring to the store. They also have the No-Lemon policy on these plans. These plans are offered on the higher-ticket items (computers, appliances, TVs, stereos, speakers, etc.)

Product Replacement Plans last X years and begin on the date of purchase. BY THE CONTRACT, if the product fails, you need to call an 800 number and give details of what is wrong. You will be sent a prepaid postage label so that you pack up the product in a box and send it in. They will then send you a voucher for the purchase price plus tax (not including the plan price). The plan is then considered fulfilled and you can buy whatever you want with the voucher. Many BBY employees will tell you that you can simply bring the product back to the store for exchange. Many times the store will honor that, but if they don’t and tell you that you call the number, you don’t have a leg to stand on. I wouldn’t trust the comments from mikep7779 above pertaining to simply using the PRP to get a new iPod every 2-3 years, as 1. He’s an employee, and they’re more lenient with employees, and 2. The product has to be defective in order for it to be eligible for replacement. PRPs are usually sold on lower-ticket items such as video game systems, telephones, keyboards, mice, portable CD players, etc. Most of these products are what Best Buy considers ‘DEVO’, which means they’re able to return the product to the manufacturer and get their money back for them. That’s the reason they will do exchanges in-store, plus it means the PRP was pure profit for them.

78. blkhrt1 says:

What you people don’t understand is that no one is LYING to you. Because you’re idiotic enough to think that Best Buy is EXTENDING your warranty and ADDING 2 or 3 years to it, that’s your own dumb ass fault. The Service Plan is designed to cover what the manufacturer DOESN’T. The manufacturer isn’t going to repair that laptop if you accidentally spill your coffee on it in the morning, or if you drop it off of your desk at work, or if you freakin’ run over it in your car. The manufacturer warranty is going to cover THEIR screw-ups. Faulty workmanship, crappy labor, etc. They’re not going to cover something just going out after time. So, to you reader, you are actually saving yourself a lot of money by getting the plan because if it DOES break in that first year, who’s to say you’re going to get it fixed from the manufacturer. All you have to do is take it to ANY Best Buy, explain what’s going on, and get it repaired FOR FREE, or REPLACED FOR FREE. It’s a win-win situation.

79. jeandelli says:

Even my 5 year old sister knows this!!

80. SpenceMan01 says:

@blkhrt1: Without getting into an argument over extended warranties in general, I find issue with your last sentence. If you have a Product Replacement Plan, BY THE CONTRACT you have to call, wait for a postage label, mail in your product, and wait for a voucher. Even then you’re tied to buying something from Big Blue. That is NOT simply ‘taking your item back to Best Buy and getting it replaced for free’. Some stores might do an exchange, but if they refuse, you’re bound to what’s in writing.

81. A_Random_Me says:

It’s a fairly common process – as other commenters have pointed out this is usually because, in the words of D&G (one of the companies in the UK which offer them) it “augments the existing manufacturer’s warranty” in addition to the extended time.

Previously I’d seen things described as “1+4″ for example (one year manufacturer and four years extended) but that died off. However, again from a UK perspective, with the various legal requirements about displaying the details of extended warranties I suspect that sort of labelling might return.

With regards to the CompUSA plan issue – that’s another bit of fine print to keep an eye out for – the details of who/how these things are underwritten or equivalent, if at all. Some of the bigger companies here what is in essence have a big pot of money purely for paying claims, which will remain there for that purpose even if the company does collapse.

Do many companies over there do mail-outs when the manufacturer’s warranty expires? If so, and if you aren’t in particular need for the accidental damage etc, you’re probably better off waiting for these as they kick-in as the warranty expires and tend to be cheaper as they reflect the year(s) of protection you haven’t had.

82. jonwilli says:

The law firm of Price Waicukauski & Riley, LLC is currently investigating Best Buy’s extended warranty program, and its overlap with the manufacturer’s warranty. We are currently attempting to learn as much as we can about consumer’s experiences regarding these warranties. If you have recently purchased a Best Buy extended warranty plan, please feel free to contact Chris Moeller (cmoeller@price-law.com) or Joe Williams (jwilliams@price-law.com).

1-800-905-2856

83. TomHearty says:

This move was a huge low-blow not only to the consumers but the people who have to sell service plans.

I’ve been with FutureShop for quite sometime now and I have always told my customers that the Service plan starts from day one and you deal directly with us from day one. Every time a customer has come in with issues with a product I sold them, I’ve helped them as efficiently as I could. Sure sometimes the wait for repairs were long and some customers got angry at me, but, overall, most of the customers who’s issues I have resolved have gone away satisfied with the service they got. This was mainly due to the fact that regardless of what the problem was, we dealt with the problem personally, and in my opinion, that what makes future shop stand out. Well this all went to hell last Sunday when I was unpleasantly surprised by on of my coworkers when a customer came in with a defective TV.

I was called down to the customer service area about checking out the defective TV. I went over and inspected everything and concluded that the TV’s power had fried. Since this is covered in our service plan I told CSR rep send it for repairs but, unfortunately, my coworker decided to turn into HAL9000 and kept saying over and over again that I’m not allowed to do that. When I asked why, she said that since the product was covered by the manufacture for 2 years, the customer has to go deal with the manufacture. The customer and I both looked at her and said that was complete bullshit. My coworker got pissy and brought the manager who came over, listened to what I had to say, listened to what the customer said, and decided to let the repairs go through. Both the customer and I were satisfied with decision and my coworker apologized dryly.

Nothing big, just a mistake by CSR I thought but oh how wrong I was, the drama was just unfolding…

After everything was done, I went back to my department where I walked around helping customers. About ten minutes into doing this my manager approaches me and tells me to come into his office… When we got to her office, she told me to sit down and had a very annoyed expression on her face. Without any warning she begins to scold me about how I handled that situation improperly was acting like an arrogant assfuck (her exact words). I tried to defend myself by saying I did everything the way you trained me to do so.

She laughed at this and said how stupid I was then because she had clearly told everyone she trained that the service plan never EVER covers an item while it still has a manufacturers’ warranty. I was completely bamboozled because this was completely illogical.

I told her that what she was saying made absolutely no sense. If the customer got a laptop and purchased the 2 year psp for $200, what you’re telling me is that essentially, for the first year we give the customer the cold shoulder and tell them to deal with the manufacturer?! Fuck! That means they are literally giving us 100 dollars for no freaking reason… This is a complete bullshit idea!! How the hell am I supposed explain this to customers?
    “So yea, Mr. WorksMyAssOfForMyDollar I’m going to sell you this 2 year PSP but only pretend like I am covering you for the first year when in reality you would have to go through the same means of repairing your product as you would have if you didn’t get this PSP! Yea it’s a really great idea because now I can steal your money, and not get arrested for it! Great you say? I know!!!”

Of course my manager didn’t like my tone and tried to explain to me that the service plan covers stuff that isn’t covered by the manufacture. But again, this is bullshit…

So in the end I got written up by the manager and scolded by the district manager later that week…

What appalls me the most is that they kept the change quiet, no one but the managers and CSR knew about the change until this mishap occurred. The next day the PSP sales dropped from around 19% to an amazing 3%. Yes we sales folk were pissed. Of course management responded by bringing in the District manager and try and “motivate” us… It worked I guess, because the PSP figures went back to normal afterwards, but I think it was because people were afraid to loose their jobs.

As for me I handed in my 2 weeks notice to the store 3 days after and explained to them how disgusted I was at their pathetic attempt to reduce costs at the sacrifice of customer experience.

Customer experience and honesty were the greatest assets of FutureShop. What management did was ludicrous and will most likely tarnish our stores image even further and thus result in a major loss in sales… What irony, in their stupid attempt to lower costs they fucking destroyed their sales opportunity. The stupidity of this decision, in my opinion, is comparable to that of a marathon runner who decides to cut of their legs so they can became lighter and thus run faster….

Good Bye FutureShop and Good Riddance, I hope to see you again when you’re desperately trying to sell your inventory like CompUSA…

84. jonwilli says:

We would like to thank TomHearty for his insightful comment. This is precisely the kind of information that helps us learn more about these type of warranty agreements. If anyone would like to discuss their experiences with Best Buy (or with a simliar “extended” warranty program), please feel free to contact attorneys Chris Moeller (cmoeller@price-law.com) or Joe Williams (jwilliams@price-law.com).

1-800-905-2856