Step 1) Convert HD DVD to Blu-Ray. Step 2) Give the finger to the man, baby. Step 3)Prof-… Realize that it was pretty expensive to actually do this.[Wired Wiki via Lifehacker]

Comments

1. CuriousO says:

Yeah I saw this, this morning and was like… why would I spend over $1000 to convert $25-$30 HD-DVDs? Stupidest story I’ve seen, WIred just keeps getting worse.

2. clevershark says:

This seems pretty silly. I mean, if you already have a HD-DVD player and movies, why bother converting? it’s not like anyone’s going to pay a lot for your used player now, so just keep it and use it to play your HD-DVD movies…

3. shadow735 says:

I am assuming that HD players will play regualr DvD’s? Since I never bought into that new fangled Blue ray HD anyhow all my dvd’s are regular. Suits me fine. I am not going to upgrade and pay 30 bucks for a “Better” quality dvd, dvds are already overpriced as it is.

4. oldtaku says:

Step 1) You got me once, shame on you.

Step 2) F@#$ it, just download HD rips from the internet.

5. SWFL_Dan says:

Well, it made SENSE to bet on HD-DVD. Sony has *never* won a format war. Heck, they may still lose this one, just not to HD-DVD…

6. shadow735 says:

wait till solid state comes along and all things are on little computer chips. Or what about crystals, now that would be just like Stargate SG1

7. Crymson_77 says:

@shadow735: They already tried that…and were shocked at the cost…

@SWFL_Dan: That was exactly what I was thinking…anyone like some old Betamax tapes? :)

@sarusa: Now THERE’s an idea! Wish the dang things compressed a little better…then they wouldn’t take over a month to download on BitTorrent :)

8. FightOnTrojans says:

Now, if they somehow figured out how to convert your Toshiba HD-DVD player into a Blu-Ray player, then that would be something worth reading for the early-adopters. I stopped reading at “You need a Blu-Ray burner.” The cost of that alone makes this whole exercise prohibitive to the ordinary consumer. Seriously, someone couldn’t have invested THAT much money in HD-DVD that would make this even seem somewhat financially feasible, did they?

9. spinachdip says:

@sarusa: Yeah, I can’t help but think people who invested in either format wasted their money. Besides cinephiles and techy types, where is the market for HD discs once online HD rentals are easier/cheaper? For casual viewers this isn’t an upgrade from conventional DVDs the way DVDs were from VHS.

10. PeteyNice says:

@SWFL_Dan: Never? I think CDs were popular enough long enough to say they won their format war with cassettes. Sony owns a considerable amount of CD related IP.

11. Phildawg says:

@SWFL_Dan: Actually it is well-documented that the establishment and glory of DVD came into place through the launch and high adoption of the PS2. Pre-PS2, dvd players were about as common as laser disc players.

I bet on blu-ray from day 1 when I learned it would be part of the PS3. I didn’t bet on it because it was sony, better format, etc. I bet on it because Microsoft left the ball at home by only supporting HD-DVD through an external device. IF HD-DVD had been built into Xbox360, we would be singing a different tune right now. However, because MS wanted to keep their profit margins high, and Sony wanted to keep their profit margins low, Sony won.

12. JayDeEm says:

I’m still just going to wait for the sub $100 player before I bother upgrading. Even then I doubt I’ll ever buy another copy of a movie, I just don’t go back and watch anything frequently enough to justify the expense. Between NetFlix and whatever happens to be on HBO/Cinemax I’m pretty well covered for movies.

13. outphase says:

I like the last line of the article.

“Also, consider just buying the movie new: a blank Blu-Ray disc is from $15-$25 for write-once media.”

14. Crymson_77 says:

Heck, with UVerse On Demand…I cancelled my Netflix account and don’t plan on going back…therefor…well, even DVDs don’t mean much to me now…

15. shadow735 says:

@Crymson_77: yes but as time goes along cost decrease. All it takes is popularity. Who knows what the trend of the future 30 years will be.

16. Crymson_77 says:

@shadow735: All too true…just would suck having to spend $3,000 per movie right now…(they would have to be written in space as gravity currently makes for error prone writing)…

17. spinachdip says:

@shadow735: “Who knows what the trend of the future 30 years will be.”

You haven’t really watched Blade Runner until you’ve watched it in holograph via a chip inserted into your contact lens.

18. CPC24 says:

@Phildawg: The HD DVD spec wasn’t finished at the time the 360 launched. I guess they could have made an HD DVD Elite, though.

19. stevegoz says:

While the article gives advice that is way expensive to follow at present, if you clip and save it (or, yaknow, bookmark it) for a few years, chances are the burner and discs will be much cheaper in the future than they are now. That happens sometimes with techie schtuff….

20. STrRedWolf says:

Step 1: Rip your HD-DVD’s.
    Step 2: Toss ‘em.
    Step 3: Buy Bluray stuff.
    Step 4: ???
    Step 5: PROFIT!

21. Crymson_77 says:

@stevegoz: The proper wording there is…”all the time with techie stuff” :)

22. LionelEHutz says:

1080p Blu-Ray is already outdated. I’m saving my cash for Super Ultra-High Definition TV and video. Until then my black and white TV with aluminum foil wrapped rabbit ears and a beta-max player will do just fine.

23. Smackdown says:

It bugs the everloving shit out of me that they don’t get the correct usage of “The king is dead, long live the king.”