The rumors were true. HDDVD… requiescat in pace. [CNNMoney]

Comments

1. nffcnnr says:

Yeah, but is the Cola War still on?

2. SegaCDGamer says:

Thank god thats over with, it was a substandard format anyways. With millions of dollars in R&D and all you came up with was a 35GB disc? JVC came out with 50GB D-VHS tapes that ran MPEG-2 with DTS back in 2002. All the discs had that Dolby Digital Plus, which sucks because it was hard to hear the dialog. I have all 3 HD home formats, and I still prefer my Blurays over the rest of them.

3. Ozyman says:

I wonder if the XBox360 will now get a blu-ray addon. I’d rather buy an XBOX+BluRay than a PS3, but if Microsoft doesn’t put out an external BluRay drive soon, I might end up with that PS3.

4. nlatimer says:

Now we just have to wait for Blue-Ray to die and allow digital distribution to take its rightful place.

5. Flame says:

So then, are the stupid blue-ray players going to come down in price? last time i looked, they were 600 dollars or more.

6. trinidon2k says:

I wonder what Microsoft is going to do with their obsolete HD Xbox 360 Drive. I wonder if they’ll create a blu-ray add on or make their next console a blu-ray console.

7. @Flame: Yes. But slowly. Don’t bother until they come down. Early adoption is a PitA. and expensive too.

8. rbb says:

It’s just so weird to accept a Sony format as the standard….

9. Buran says:

@Flame: I got a PS3 for $400. Standalone players (which aren’t as upgradeable) were about the same. The price dropping will happen.

But we had the same thing happen with videotape and standard DVD — high cost initially, and the prices dropped over time. You can get $30 standard DVD players now, but DVD has been out for a long time. You’re not going to get that kind of price this soon, so it’s nuts to complain that it isn’t that low yet. Wait an equivalent number of years (how long did $30 VCRs take, too?) and you’ll see your $30 hi-def player.

10. Techguy1138 says:

@Flame:
    $300 or so last I checked. I expect them to be mass market priced by Christmas.

11. Okaasan says:

Our local talk radio dude says that Blu-Ray is going the way of the laser disk. I think I’ll wait a little longer before I sink a fortune into anything new.