Great Moments In Commercial History: "Al'z Place"

The Stay Free! daily blog was watching the telly and nearly spit out its wheatgrass juice when it noticed an ad for a senior care facility in Brooklyn that has blessed its Alzeimer’s ward with a delightful moniker. They call it, “Al’z place.” That marketing decisions strikes us as, shall we say, unfortunate. What’s the message here? “He forgot his name and so did we so we just call him Al.”

Comments

1. xQuizx says:

What was that name again?

2. I think it’s along the lines of those mailing I get for Cystic Fibrosis, where they tell you the kids call it “65 roses”. It may seem crass, but I think it makes it a little easier for the patients and familes to say they’re going to Al’z Place rather than the Alzheimer’s Nursing Home.

3. Opie says:

Damn. I forgot what I was going to say.

4. boandmichele says:

@Git Em SteveDave: perhaps, but i dont think you are doing anyone any favors by trivializing an already horrible experience, at least not in the long run.

5. Honestly, that is totally where I’d want to be when I get old and if I get Alzheimer’s. If everyone else is confused, what does it matter? LOL.

6. hhole says:

I can see a whole chain for these folks. There next spot could be for suffers of Parkinson disease.

How about Park’s Place?

7. Cerb says:

Wait, what was I supposed to be offended by?

/where am I?
    //the kids don’t call

8. B says:

@boandmichele: In the long run they’ll be dead. Can’t we just make their remaining years as comfortable and pleasant as we can? I’d rather stay in Al’z Place than Floor 8, or whatever it was called before they changed the name.

9. Caduceus says:

Al’z well that ends well? I hate myself for saying that.

10. loganmo says:

@hhole: Well since most if it is in foreclosure, they could just establish a community in Shaker Heights!

11. lapazlinda says:

I think it’s lovely. Seriously. Having seen my Dad in an ALZ facility, I like this.

12. eightfifteen says:

Video here:

[www.rwmanor.com]

13. rpm773 says:

Do a search for “Al’z place” on google.com. Apparently there are a few places out there with the same gift for laughs.

14. GenXCub says:

I hear it’s right next door to the Aids Palace. *facepalm*

15. @boandmichele: How is it trivializing it? Perhaps the floor was named by someone who donated money? Perhaps they say that so as not make the patients feel they are in a home. Which would you rather hear? Al’z Place, or the Octogenarian Wing of Our Sisters of Perpetual Sin?

There is a Alzheimer’s place in NJ that has a simulated Bus Stop by the Nurses station. Because patients sometimes get irate when you tell them they can’t leave, they let them wait for the the bus home. The patients usually calm down then, and will wait until they forget they wanted to leave. They also have a mock kitchen, laundry room(the staff provide clean unfolded items in it), nursery, etc… The patients can feel like they are cooking, or doing/folding laundry, or even taking care of kids, usually w/ other patients, so it’s very comfortable and not isolated. I think it’s taking into account the patients feelings.

16. hhole says:

@Loganmo So wrong. So, so wrong. And yet my belly can’t stop shaking from laughter.

17. hhole says:

@Git em stevedave: Sounds like the spot in NJ is like an Alzheimer’s Montessori. Looks a much more humane way of treatment than drugging them into oblivion.

18. rbb says:

“Al’z Place – where you meet new friends every day”

19. mac-phisto says:

lighted exit signs & a sprinkler system? who cares what it’s called…beats the hell out of any senior care facility in connecticut.

20. eightfifteen says:

@rbb: Damn that’s funny!

21. homerjay says:

I was expecting to laugh a lot but that video just made me a little sad… I don’t want to get any older.

22. the problem with mobilizing the Alzheimer, Dementia and other degenerative brain disease lobby is that they never remember why they’re calling their congressmen or what they’re supposed to boycott.

23. yesteryear says:

@homerjay: i’m with you. i’m a little choked up.

24. marsneedsrabbits says:

My dad died from Alzheimer’s… and I don’t find the name particularly offensive. Anything that might help get family to visit or make the family feel more comfortable can only help the patient in the long run..
    Caring for Alzheimer’s patients is a thankless, difficult, heart breaking job.

25. e-gadgetjunkie says:

There’s a senior home in St. Louis that’s called Altenheim. Literally Old Home in German. I think that’s a riot.
    Also, on my way home from work, I pass one with a sign announcing a “special community for the memory impaired”

26. ChristopherDavis says:

Today I saw a product for sale that included a donation of $1 to the Alzheimer’s Association.

It was a 2GB SD flash memory card.

27. bombaxstar says:

@Cerb: I feel really bad for lol’ing at that.

28. dvddesign says:

[www.rwmanor.com]

This is a link to the full ad.

29. captainleah says:

@Cerb:
    i’m gonna go call my grandma :(