US Airways Planes Clip Wings At Reagan International

Two US Airways jets clipped wings at Reagan International Airport yesterday says the Washington Post:

Courtney Prebich, a MWAA spokeswoman, said that the two planes — a U.S. Airways Airbus A319 headed to LaGuardia Airport and a smaller U.S. Airways Express regional jet on the way to Rochester, N.Y. — were in an area at the north side of the airport waiting for their turn at the runway when the collision occurred.

The smaller jet — operated by regional carrier Republic Airways — was carrying 21 passengers in taxi mode toward the runway when it clipped the wing of the larger aircraft and became lodged there, according to Andrea Rader, a spokeswoman for U.S. Airways.

Emergency response vehicles evacuated a total of 63 passengers from the two planes onto buses and took them to the airport terminal, where they were booked onto later flights, officials said. One passenger complaining of back pain after the collision was taken to a nearby hospital for examination, Prebich said.

Boy, that doesn’t instill a lot of confidence in your pilot, does it?

U.S. Airways Planes Clip Wings at Reagan Airport [Washington Post]
(Photo:Cubbie_n_Vegas)

Comments

1. azntg says:

“All righty folks, we’re #3 in line for takeup… wait! CHIPS AHOY!”

2. ElizabethD says:

“One passenger complaining of back pain after the collision was taken to a nearby hospital for examination…”

Translation: One passenger who saw potential law$uit fodder complained of back pain….

3. PinkBox says:

Psh.. back pain? What?

4. iMike says:

@ElizabethD: No kidding.

5. compuwarescc says:

@ElizabethD

I believe the correct phrase would be:

“One personal injury lawyer was confirmed to have been on-board.”

6. bustit22 says:

“I hurt my back, yo!”

7. bdgbill says:

I guess this answers the question I have been asking myself about US Airways for the last year or so….

If US Airways baggage handlers lose my luggage on ALMOST EVERY FLIGHT and if their gate agents (if you can find any) are either completely incompetent or so blinded by rage they are incapable of doing their jobs…How good can their pilots be??

Aparantly, their pilots are not good enough to drive the planes around on the tarmac at 5 mph without running into each other.

8. VeeKaChu says:

@bustit22: Sad/funny thing is he’ll probably get 20K to go away.

9. theantidote says:

Woah this isn’t “Reagan International Airport,” it’s just National. Nobody in DC agreed to have his name plastered on the airport.

10. cindel says:

^Word! Let’s not forget that Reagan fired unionized air-traffic controllers for going on strike.

11. WraithSama says:

I enjoy reading the news as much as the next person, but I’m not sure why this is being reported on Consumerist.

12. Buran says:

@WraithSama: Cause it’s not your blog. Why are you wasting our time posting complaints when you could be opening your own blog and not posting this story?

13. martyz says:

Oh, my neck, my back, my neck and my back.

Oh, I want $150,000, but we can settle out of court right now for twenty bucks.

14. rhombopteryx says:

@ All the “alleged” injury haterz:

If you read the article, it says the planes collided with enough force to become “lodged” together. Two large metal planes collided with enough force to bend or shear or fuse or snap or whatever causes “lodging” – are you volunteering to be on the receiving end of that collision?
    The airport personnel apparently though it was serious enough to hospitalize someone, and not just tell them to go on their own if they had a problem. But I’m sure y’all know more than they do, them being there and all.

15. rolla says:

its just a matter of time before something major happens between 2 planes on the runway

16. theblackdog says:

@theantidote: Hell yeah, my mom won’t even call it Reagan, since she was fired by him in the 80’s.

Now the government has a shortage of nurses :-P

17. fergthecat says:

@rhombopteryx: Uh, yeah. My ex-wife (a paramedic) told me plenty of stories about car “crashes” in which the cars weren’t visibly damaged but one of the occupants would be hauled away on a backboard. It’s really convenient that back injuries are notoriously difficult to disprove.

18. WraithSama says:

@Buran:
    My, aren’t we beligerant today?

19. swags says:

@theantidote: So true. Aside for that, the airport isn’t called Reagan International anyway. It’s Reagan National, just like the Washington Post story says.

20. LeopardSeal says:

@Buran: Gold, Buran, pure gold.

21. ravana says:

Reagan or not, since when did National airport become International Airport?