Sprint Testing Unlimited Minute Plan

Just like it hinted, Sprint has rolled out an unlimited minute plan. For $119 per month, you get unlimited voice, texting, web, email and picture mail. However, it’s only available in the test markets of San Francisco Bay Area, Upper Central California, Philadelphia, Minneapolis, and Tampa. We actually got a tip about this four days ago on February 14th (it got lost in the email shuffle), so it looks like Sprint did in fact beat Verizon to the unlimited cellphone game and then forced Verizon to react to their offer, which, considering Sprint’s bottom-dog status right now, is a major coup for new CEO Dan Hesse. It remains to be seen whether these plans will actually be unlimited or if we will see the same secret caps that Comcast put on their “unlimited” broadband plans.

Sprint – Unlimited Access Pack [Official Site] (Thanks to Brian!)
RELATED: Verizon To Offer Flat-Rate, Unlimited Minutes Cellphone Plan

Comments

1. Fortain says:

Um, sorry to say, but Sprint’s had this for many months now, closer to a year, actually. There’s this plan, plus one for, IIRC, $139-149/month that also gets you unlimited computer internet. It just never sold well, considering MetroPCS offers unlimited everything (in a horrid coverage area) for around $45-50/month.

2. Alexander says:

That’s pricey, but It’s probably worth it if you talk a lot on your cellphone. Has anyone tried MetroPCS in the Los Angeles area? Is it worth it?

3. snoop-blog says:

i can’t wait for that to come my way! my bill is usually $150/mo. this would save me $20-$30 per mo.

4. The Kapil says:

Nextel has been offering the unlimited everything plan for $199 for many years now…well before the Sprint merger.

Sprint has had an unlimited plan for $120 for some time.

AT&T Wireless, before it was AT&T Wireless the second time around and before it was Cingular, had an unlimited plan for $99.

…and I highly doubt that the VZW plan is in response to the comments made by Sprint’s CEO….such large scale changes don’t happen in a matter of weeks…billing system has to be prepared, marketing collateral has to be prepared, printed and shipped to stores, partners and dealers have to be trained, employees have to be trained etc. etc….I suspect that VZW has had this in the works for a while.

5. Chi says:

Maybe this is somewhat of a surprise for me as Sprint seemed to have a similar deal back with the SERO plans.

Granted you don’t get unlimited minutes, but you get almost everything else: unlimited data, unlimited nights and weekends at 7PM, unlimited txt*.

I guess if you really need the minutes during the daylight hours, it’s worth these new plans.

Although, if you have unlimited data… could you utilize VoIP for the daylight hours?… Then bundle your VoIP number and cell number to a grand central number so you only have to hand out 1 phone number to be reachable via either method. Ah the possibilities!

*note: Unlimited texting was a promotion deal.

6. Mr. Gunn says:

Cingular had an unlimited data plan for $19. Trying to act like email, text messages, and “picture mail”(wtf?) are something different from data is why I think this is crap.

I also think Sprint threatened to revoke the consumerists “Ambassador” status unless they posted this in response to the Verizon story.

7. Zamboni MacN'Cheese says:

Let’s not forget Helio, who’s offering unlimited everything for $99/month right now.

8. iDevin says:

I signed up for the Helio $99/mo unlimited plan back in December and I have to say I’ve been happy with the service and the price really can’t be beat. I was paying more for only 1500 minutes + data + 400 messages etc. on T-Mobile. Helio runs on Sprint’s network and if you can deal with their limited selection of phones (I got the Fin which has been reliable) then I’d recommend it.

9. SpdRacer says:

Sprint/NEXTEL used to have what they said was an unlimited minutes plan, bout four-five years ago, my lil brother payed like $250 a month so he could talk like the little girl he so wanted to be, but he talked TOO much so they told him that he was abusing!! the unlimited minutes feature and canceled his contract (he was using 3000-4000 min/month w one phone)

10. FLConsumer says:

I had the $99 ($125 after taxes & fees) plan from the original AT&T Wireless. It was a come-on to switch people over to their GSM network and off their TDMA system. Coverage and reliability absolutely blew.

@Chi: VoIP over CDMA/EVDO doesn’t seem to work well. I’ve tried it multiple times with various codecs and never got a decent phone call to happen with that method… Has anyone out there conquered this one? I’d love to be able to use my IP phones on the road.

*BUT* I do something almost like this when I’m approaching my minute limit for the month or if I know it’s going to be a LONG call. I have Alltel’s MyCircle on my account and have my PBX’s DISA # on there. Just call up the PBX, enter my acct code, enter the phone # I wish to call and it’s free calls 24/7. Ironically, it was an Alltel rep who suggested doing it this way.

11. Addison says:

Okay, because I’m in the test market of Tampa, I decided to call and ask. It seems that this plan is only available to individuals and not family shared as my partner and I have.

12. bombaxstar says:

Sigh. All this talk of carriers with unlimited everything for $50-110/month makes me bitter since I live in Southern Illinois, where really only Verizon has really good coverage.

13. bombaxstar says:

@bombaxstar: …aaaaand I just clicked back to see that Verizon article. Deary me.

14. Onouris says:

@FLConsumer: That’s pretty harsh, being able to call something a $99/month plan and it actually costing $125. That’s messed up.

15. Anonymous says:

Of course they can offer an unlimited plan; no one has a signal to use it.