HSBC Won't Tell You Someone In Bulgaria Is Stealing $2,000 From You

Keith writes:

On Friday February 15th I called HSBC customer service. I explained that there was a $1,000 difference between my “Bank Balance” and I was concerned because I hadn’t used my ATM card. They said that the money was “on hold.” They could give no further explanation. I pressed them and said “How is it possible that $1,000 of my money is out in space” They had no reply. I asked to speak to a supervisor to which the person I was speaking to refused and said “They have the same information I do and they are not available.” I was talking to outsourced “customer service reps” from the Philippines so I hung up and dialed 716.841.7212 again. I kindly explained my store from scratch to Helga REP # 6124, also in the Philippines, not Buffalo, NY. She said the same thing as the guy before (at least they were consistent), and refused to let me speak to a supervisor.

I grew tired of this so I went to bed. When I went online to check my account on Sunday I noticed a $2,000 difference. Now I was very concerned. I called and got the same story, only this time I demanded to speak to the security and fraud operations.

I was transfered to “Jeremy, #A09″ Jeremy was very helpful and asked if I had been out of the US. I said no I’ve been in Brooklyn all weekend, he then tells me that there are $2,000 worth of ATM withdrawals in Bulgaria. He said that someone stole my card number and pin, imprinted it on another card and is taking money out of an ATM. When I asked how long it would take to credit my account he said 11-15 business days!

Luckily I don’t need to pay rent out of that money, but thats not the point what if I needed it for rent?

My complaint is that HSBC is negligent when it comes to consumer fraud detection. Because their centers have different information they have cost me an additional 3 out of my 11 business days so far and who knows how much longer it will be until I see all of the money back. I would really like to let the folks in Buffalo know how their call centers are treating people who have been customers for 5 years.

I will do everything I can to get this money back before 11 business days.

- Keith

What would have happened if Keith hadn’t demanded to speak to the fraud department? Would $3,000 of his money be on hold? Other companies have automatic alerts now that detect when say, a customer who lives in Buffalo New York is making an out of the ordinary withdrawal in a country formerly under the rule of the Ottoman Empire. They should have detected it and called Keith and said hey, are you in Bulgaria? No, ok, we’ll be working on stopping this charge and getting the money back to you.

Comments

1. BlondeGrlz says:

Our local bank calls you if you’re card is used in a foreign country. My boss avoided thousands of dollars in fraud when someone checked to make sure he was here at his desk and not in Indonesia. I thought this was pretty standard practice. I called my credit union to let them know when I went to Europe to avoid potential problems accessing my money.

2. Is it different for an ATM card? Banks usually tout the security of using a PIN. I would think a credit charge in NY, and then another bunch of credit charges in France would raise a flag, since it’s a number. But yeah, crappy service. I would have told the lady, “Well, if they have the same info, I’d like to hear it from THEIR mouth, not yours.”

3. ThomFabian says:

They get a bad rap for many reasons, but I still have 1 account open with BOA. Anyway, 2 weeks ago they called and asked if I was on a trip up the East coast. Evidently someone had been using my card# at gas stations from Florida to Vermont over a weekend.

I say this only because I’ve complained about BOA, and should praise them when they do well. They caught it, returned the money (about 400$ all told) that night, and issued me a new card. Additionally in Texas I had the right to get a new temporary card immediately by heading in to a BOA bank.

Seems that BOA has at least got one thing right.

4. horkles says:

I’ve received a call from one of my credit cards because of a single, $1.50 charge in Russia. They shut the whole account down before any more fraud could be done. I was very impressed.

5. ptkdude says:

Hell, I bought at mattress a few years ago and my bank shut down my debit card until they could contact me. This was a few years ago, so I don’t see what HSBC’s problem is.

6. Quaoar says:

Wells Fargo’s fraud detection is extremely good, perhaps too good! I am called whenever the activity on any of my accounts is statistically out of context. As just one example, my wife and daughter-in-law were shopping in an area that we normally do not shop in, and I got a call on their second credit card purchase. Never try to shop in a foreign country without notifying Wells Fargo; they will deny credit activity until they receive my authorization. Recently I purchased from buy.com, made and canceled two identical orders since buy.com could not get the shipping correct, and made a third order that went through. I was called by Wells Fargo about fifteen minutes later.

7. bonzombiekitty says:

Citi used to be calling me every other week when I first got cards from them. My spending habits were a bit strange, since I was buying stuff online for my sister who lives in Europe. I’d buy something from Amazon.co.uk at night and the next day I’d get a call from their security department wondering if my card got stolen.

After a while they learned my spending habits and I haven’t heard from them in a while.

8. ConnertheCat says:

I’m surprised you expected someone to be in Buffalo. It’s a national company, I very much doubt they would have their call center in your home town.

9. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

Some people just aren’t familiar with geography ouside of their own country. Perhaps they just through Bulgaria was a borough of Manhattan.

10. picardia says:

Wow, that’s totally crappy. I am unthrilled with Chase most days, but they at least investigate when there’s a discrepancy.

11. jamesdenver says:

Silly me – i always EXPECT a flag when a credit/debit from a far-flug geographical area shows up.

I ALWAYS call my credit and bank telling them I’ll be in Germany, Prague, or whereever so they DON’T flag my account.

12. CG72 says:

But how do you know that it’s really your bank calling you and not some phishing scheme?

My mom keeps getting calls from Iowa or “unknown” asking about my father’s last 4 digits of his social security number. She’s afraid someone is trying to open an account in his name.

13. ecwis says:

Try calling 1-716-841-2424 during business hours if you must talk to an American. Every time I have called, I reached the Buffalo call center.

14. savvy999 says:

Is this an anecdotal reason to keep money you need in accounts at a local bank, and money you invest elsewhere (ING, HSBC, eTrade, etc– wherever has the best rates)?

I’d love to see my local credit union teller inform me that I couldn’t talk to a manager about something amiss with my money.

15. scoosdad says:

@picardia:
    @jamesdenver: I have a credit card with Chase, and I called them last summer before a trip to let them know where I’d be travelling to, and to expect charges from that location. Chase told me, “OK, but we reserve the right to decline charges from those locations anyway…” WTF?

16. NefariousNewt says:

@blondegrlz: I had a problem with this when I didn’t mention to my bank that I would be traveling in Europe. Kinda embarrassing to try and pay for something when your card suddenly stops working.

17. ExtraCelestial says:

Household Bank, no matter how many times you change your name your service still sucks.

18. ablestmage says:

The information you signed before agreeing to the account surely had something in there about the length of time it would take to clear things up — they tend to be quite thorough. Regardless of whether you didn’t think you should’ve been concerned with it, you agreed to those terms and should have known it would take that long, else you shouldn’t’ve agreed to the account. And what if you do get it before 11 days? You’ll be a big hero?

19. jamesdenver says:

@scoosdad:

That’s bizarre – -i’d be pissed. Hopefully just an ignorant rep.

I’d hope when reviewing charges even without travel notification a rep would think clearly see the difference between purchases trickling in from train tickets, restaurants, and hotels — rather than half your limit to a random paypal account or something…

20. Copper says:

@ConnertheCat: It’s actually an international company. HSBC stands for Hong Kong Shanghai Banking Corporation. The headquarters are now in London.

21. ext212 says:

My bank always calls me to confirm a purchase made in another country when I’m actually the one spending it. I live in NYC and tried to get gas in Montreal and they called me to see if I was really in Montreal because they know I never buy gas in NYC.

But when my card was used in New Jersey, of all places, at a Victoria’s Secret and at a Cheesecake Factory, they never called me. That day, almost $6k in fraud was spent. I’m not sure why I would fit the bill of not getting gas, but would go to a Cheesecake Factory and VS!!! Thanks a lot, Bank of America!

22. teh says:

@CG72: If you get an unsolicited call, then you don’t give them any personal information. You ask what the call is regarding and tell them that you will call them back. People are generally nice and understand your hesitation to give personal information.

23. Fry says:

I’m 21, and had my account open since I was 10, at the local Caisse bank (a bank from Quebec). I have never had any trouble with them and they have been terrific to deal with all 11 of those years.

I had a paycheque bounce (my boss’ bank ROYALLY fucked up), the bosses gave me the cash to deposit before it hit my account, and even after that, my bank still called me and told me about it before it actually got removed from my account.

I have always had good customer service without picking up a phone, and I wouldn’t trade my bank for another.

24. Buran says:

You live in NYC and never buy gas there? Well, I guess I can’t blame you — aren’t the taxes really high?

I bet they didn’t call you because NJ isn’t that far from NYC.

25. ldavis480 says:

I’ve been with Wells Fargo about 15 years and I love banking there. I have been the victim of fraud before and WF was great about it (although it was still a hassle to deal with). Wells Fargo will also call you anytime there are weird charges on your credit card and I like that.

26. chemmy says:

An unrelated complaint about HSBC…

I was in the process of changing to Citibank and was in between both banks. An account that was supposed to debit from my Citibank account mistakenly took the money out of HSBC (another, unrelated rant).

So HSBC would not allow me to close my account unless I paid them the $30 to bring my account to $0.

So I walk in. It’s a Saturday. I have $30 cash. I go to customer service, explain I want to close my account, they look it up and mention I owe them $30. I try to hand it to her. She says I have to make a teller deposit.

So I wait in line for 45 minutes to deposit the $30 with the teller. I get a receipt for the deposit and it shows balance of zero.

Go back to customer service with the receipt. They take it, give me a print out and tell me my account will be closed in 8-10 days. I was like WTF?

They told me that the deposit had not yet credited and I had to wait for it to clear. Yup – they made me wait for CASH TO CLEAR!!!!! And they were dead serious. I only received confirmation that it was closed a full two weeks later…. Thanks HSBC.

Oh and I forgot to mention… I had online statements and all…. All of it is gone. They also deleted my user name and password and I have no access to over 5 years of bank statements….

Good riddance.

27. picantel says:

@ThomFabian:

Yep BOA has been like a dream. We had someone hack a paypal account and make tons of purchases off our BOA checking account we had just opened and never used with a $0 balance. I called before a single charge hit and told them something may be coming and to please shut it down. They told me I had to wait until the fraud charges hit before I could do anything(weekend so banks were closed) Sure enough stuff started to hit so they refunded tons of fees. Paypal, even though warned, but stuff through a second time and this time BOA kept the fees on. 2 days after they hit, yes TWO DAYs, they charged off the account and sent it to a collection agency. No joke. Keep in mind I had spent hours that week and had was working with a BOA rep in the local branch who was as frustrated as I was since they could not see each others notes. When I called and talked to someone at the executive level they told me since the name on the paypal was mine I had to either pay the fees or have paypal reimburse BOA(when hell freezes over). Two months later I still have a charged off account and NCO is calling to collect. Too bad for them I specialize in this crap and know NCO’s attorney. Scum bank.

28. bobert says:

I use a regional California bank who, if I’m going to use my debit card, expects me to notify them when I’m leaving the country, and when I return. One time I forgot to tell them I was back in the U.S., and I went to the local pharmacy to pick up a prescription. The clerk (who knew me) ran my debit card twice and then said, “I’m not going to do it, but it says here to confiscate your card.” So I walked down the shopping center to my local bank branch, they changed the computer flag to say I was back in the U.S., and I went back and got the prescription. So I doubt there would be any problem with bogus transactions from Bulgaria.

29. melvin22 says:

I took a one day trip from Jacksonville to Miami around Christmas time, and used my card extensively during that day. That same night, when I returned to Jacksonville, I got a call from Bank of America saying that my card was blocked and could no longer be used until I called them to confirm the transactions on my account (I guess the fact that the card was used so much in 2 different cities on the same day triggered some flag in their system). They went over every single transaction, and asked me if which ones were legitimate and which ones weren’t. I confirmed all of them, and got use of my card back.

Honestly, it made me feel safer (not sure if I am safer or not, but…), and I really didn’t mind the hassle. This was Bank of America, btw.

30. melvin22 says:

@CG72: When I got the call from Bank of America telling me to call them so they could confirm the discrepancies on my card, I made sure I wrote down the number left on the voicemail, then compared it to the number advertised on their website. The numbers matched, so I called them back.

31. stephenjames716 says:

I have hsbc and have had no problems. They once called me when I was staying a night in San Diego when I lived in LA to verify purchases. Very good customer service.

32. hilighter says:

I know people don’t like Citibank, but I have to admit that every time I make a purchase (using my mileage-bearing debit card – yay miles!) that seems out of my spending pattern (plasma tv, treadmill, etc.) they call within 30 minutes to verify the purchase. So, they’re not all bad.

33. veraikon says:

Hmm, HSBC misses a big giant red flag on Keith’s account…And yet fraud protection on our HSBC account was somehow triggered when my boyfriend bought me flowers for Valentine’s Day at the *same grocery store we always shop at*! Flowers! On Valentine’s Day! What an unusual purchase! Alert the National Guard!

34. Cerb says:

When I leave the country I need to write a note to my bank telling them where I will be and for how long. This way they know it’s not fraud if I take out large amounts of money in Nigeria. They’ve also called me in the past when 2 charges came through from the same gas station within a few minutes of each other (stealing cards and using them to fill up like ten tanks of gas is fairly common here in good old Memphis).

35. sleze69 says:

Well…I am certainly glad I moved my savings account from HSBC to E-Trade.

36. Garbanzo says:

A couple times a year we get a call from Wells Fargo asking us to confirm recent charges. Frequently I can’t figure out what activity tripped their fraud detection sensors. It seems like a series of charges from grocery store-gas station-liquor store-hardware store-Target in a two hour span should just register as normal Sunday afternoon errand running. They’re all stores within 4 miles of our home that we’ve patronized from dozens to hundreds of times. I would be interested to know what the underlying algorithm is picking up on.

37. bayboy says:

ironically the media in Bulgaria has been reporting a lot in the last several weeks about scams used online and offline to drain people’s bank accounts.

There seems to be a flood of daily news of people finding out their accounts were empty, elderly especially.

Allegedly thieves from Romania or Bulgaria are pulling these scams since a lot of people aren’t internet savvy or haven’t worked with bank accounts for long

38. P41 says:

Lots of people wouldn’t want their cards blocked while they’re traveling, which is what many posters are talking about. (And yes it’s true that if HSBC had left a message “hey if you’re not in Bulgaria right now, call us asap.” would have been good, cash withdrawals in Eastern Europe or Africa should cause an alert.) But that’s not the core problem here; they put a hold on the money instead of posting the transaction. (If the account showed cash withdrawal in Bulgaria, OP would have known to say fraud when first calling in.)

Next, at the very least the call center should have known (or been told by their computers) Philippines reps can’t see those details, you need to talk to {fraud dept or some other 24hr dept}, rather than Go Away.

As it is, HSBC let a second $1000 cash withdrawal happen because they refused to help the OP. (don’t know what Buffalo reps are paid, but I’m thinking that would have been enough to keep someone at the telephone all weekend.) Plus the greater inconvenience to the OP – waiting more days for more money.

On a related topic, ATM/debit PIN theft has been happening on huge scales in recent years. Besides fake ATM machines or card readers put on the front of real machines (I’ll assume OP didn’t fall for this) there have been some highly damaging data thefts, credit unions, retailers, that sort of thing. OfficeMax and Sams Club were both blamed a while back, and gee, one of the hot spots for getting money out has been Bulgaria! You’d think two years later US banks could at least figure out how to make someone go into the Bulgaria bank in person in order to be able to withdraw cash with no advanced notice.

I’ll assume account number is being changed, but Keith you should try to find out where they got your PIN so you know if it’s something you did.

39. mike says:

The slimy truth about banks is that most banks don’t care if your card gets stolen. Unlike a credit card, the funds are only protected by the FDIC, and even then, it’s only when the bank shuts down or gets robbed.

I try not to use an ATM if I can help it. Always use the credit card version.

40. Jeepman says:

The comment that banks don’t care is BS! My complaint with Bank%

41. CG72 says:

The calls to my mom were non-specific. They asked for my dad, and when she said he was out and how can I help you, they reeled off the last 4 digits. She said no, and they said some other other address, she said no, and she hasn’t heard from them since.

The concern is that someone could open an account using his number & another address. The SS#’s online in the death index fuel these concerns. I would think that it would be an automatic block.

42. CG72 says:

Meanwhile, APX alarm allegedly called me to try to get me to switch from check payment to debit/credit card, due to “identity theft concerns” if a check is lost in the mail.

The voice even sounded strange, like it was a patchwork of previously generated words. I said no thanks and hung up.

43. Keter says:

I got a call from my credit union to confirm an online purchase of a piece of software from a company headquartered in Hungary. I had bought from them before, and just needed a second license…for about $30. No idea why the first one went through and second didn’t. No blood, no foul. I would rather they call and be wrong than not call and be wrong…

44. sibertater says:

5/3 used to lock my account if I used my card to buy gas in the same state in 2 different cities. It’s one of the reasons I stopped banking with them. If I bought gas in IN then 20 minutes later I filled up with the same number in CA, I’d want my account locked.

They used to have really weird policies.

45. sgmax2 says:

I have an account at HSBC — someone managed to break into my account and change the address. Luckily, they caught it, but I am still wondering how someone managed to get my Mother’s middle name, to access the account, as I do not share a name with her and was not born in this country. Looks like an inside job to me — I wonder how many of HSBC’s offshore outsourcers are selling our personal information. They seem to outsource phone support all over the world and these people obviously have access to all of your personal details when you call.

46. glater says:

Heh. Once I had my roommate pick up my checkbook by mistake (same bank, same color book) to order a pizza while I wasn’t around. I saw the charge and was like “WTF is this?” and had to contact the bank to see a check copy, where I found his signature clearly on the bottom. The bank said that it absolutely wasn’t their problem, and that I could either work it out with my roommate or file a fraud claim. I tried to call them on the “is nobody actually looking at this stuff?” concept, and all I got a verbal shrug.

The vendor also of course shared a big part of that responsibility in not checking ID, but apparently the bank doesn’t give a shit either. It wasn’t that it was a lot of money or that i begrudged my roommate or anything – I was just sort of floored that it passed all the so-called “safeguards” that one might (erroneously) assume are in place. I’m a little surprised that check forging isn’t a more common pastime as a result. Banks simply don’t give a fuck.

47. FLConsumer says:

@Buran: You’ve not been to any real cities, I assume. Most people walk and take public transit. In the case of NYC, unless you’re in the outer boroughs, cars are impractical. No place to park them, few places to buy fuel, and the drivers are insane. Chances are that if you can afford to own and keep a car in Manhattan, you’ll probably have a car service/limo available.

48. FLConsumer says:

On the banks, I’m floored at HSBC’s initial response. I can’t believe any bank would tell you that any amount of your money is “on hold” with no further explanation. Also, OUTSOURCED bank CSRs!?! So people’s bank and personal info is in other countries. Gee, I wonder how it gets over there…and how easily that can be intercepted. Not to mention the laws of other countries’ regarding privacy / identity theft. What could possibly go wrong?

49. ret3 says:

I live in Austin, and during a weekend trip to Houston, USAA called and asked if I was shopping in Houston. I appreciated their vigilance, but thought that it wasn’t so unusual for an Austinite to spend the odd weekend spending money in H-town that it would trip a flag of some sort.

50. ProjectGSX says:

I had a crappy fraud problem with HSBC as well. I made a somewhat large purchase (~$500). A week later, I tried to buy dinner with the card and it was declined. I called in and found they had put a hold on the card due to suspicious activity.. and never called me about it. What the hell? They just turned off my card without contacting me. Thanks guys, great customer service.

51. rkaufman says:

On the other hand, I went to the UK in 2005, neglected to tell my credit card companies, and in Feb 2006, AmEx called me to ask about potential fraud charges made on my account three months ago. As in, it took them 3 months to think about maybe asking if the charges were valid.

I would imagine that now they’d be more vigilant, since I’m sure identity theft has only gotten worse since then.

52. freedom69 says:

@ptkdude:
    unless you puechase a bed every month then they need to call you keep in mind that banks dont see what you buy just the name of the merchant. Thats so you wont be embarssed when you get personal things like sex toys. Thats just an example

53. mouse63 says:

I just found out yesterday that 2 cash withdrawals on my HSBC card totalling over $1,000 had been effected on my card 2 days ago in Romania. I was in HSBC at the time and was luckily able to speak to a supervisor. They didn’t have the decency so tell me that this was a problem that HSBC was having and suggested that this probably occurred when I used my card at a restaurant. They closed down my card and PIN and told me I would be credited in 5 to 10 business days. Unfortunately for me, this was the only money I had; I had 2 dollars left in my pocket. They said they felt really badly for me but there was nothing they could do. I then had to start making phone calls to hunt down a family member to lend me a couple of hundred dollars to see me through the “5 to 10 business days”. Had I known at the time that this was a recurring HSBC problem, I would have insisted that my money been returned immediately.

54. freedom69 says:

@mouse63: as you can see by other peoples comments theres no chance of getting your money immediately, so give that idea up right now. I am surprised however that the supervisor did not tell you anything about it. Actually come to think of it, I am not. This is a problem that all banks are having but HSBC is getting all the credit as being the only one. You should expect to wait ten full business days.The branch rep should have offered you options to help with this dilemma but maybe she did not know what to do. I think the lines of communication ned to be open ,but no ones going to tell you something that will further upset you. That would not make sense.

55. bobdude121 says:

HSBC Bank, as verified with me on a 3-way call with a live CSR from LIFELOCK (identity fraud protection agency that I use), did/does not follow the simple procedures for identity “fraud alerts” placed on credit reports.

I currently have a “fraud alert on my credit report which requires the recipient of any credit application in my name to call me to verify my identity before viewing my report to approve/deny credit my credit worthiness. HSBC failed to do that.

During the 1st few calls regarding this fraud alert with HSBC, they admitted that my application was denied due to the alert, yet they could not describe the proper procedure that they were suppose to have taken (calling me to verify my identity). After several more calls to HSBC executives, the story changed. Suddenly, CSRs were telling me that my app was denied for other reasons, but not due to my fraud alert. They also were suddenly able (sounding like they were reading from some new script) to describe in detail the procedure they would take if there was a fraud alert on a credit report. They told me, with Lifelock CSR on the phone (to verify that there was a fraud alert on all my credit reports), there was no fraud alert and that my app was denied for other reasons.

What this means is that HSBC is either lying to cover their asses or that they looked at my credit report with a fraud alert on it without verifying my identity.

So what is worse….. the flat out lying/dishonesty of a BANK, or failing to respect a fraud alert to keep someone’s identity protected???

What is really the kicker here is that this was for a tax refund aticipation loan through H&R Block. The company that does the taxes for so many of us, trusts this bank HSBC, the world leader of identity theft (so I’ve read), with our most personal financial info such as our income taxes??? I would think that a company like H&R Block would have more sense to trust a more secure bank that has better customer service.

That what I call Risky Business!!!!!!!!

56. freedom69 says:

Just to be fair HSBC Bank and Hsbc credit card services are not the same thing. So its not the dishnesty of the bank but the CSR that you spoke to

57. FerryPrincess says:

Uuh, okay freedom69…just to be fair to Keith, HSBC CService in India gave me the same explanation verbatim in January. They then gave my boyfriend an identical lecture in mid-February. They were however, friendly and serious once we got past their initial wacky and inexplicable responses.

Luckily for me, I was amongst the first of thousands of NYers from whom Bulgarian/Romanian/Sunset Blvd 7Eleven sticky fingers lifted $2,000-$4,000. (The stellar fraud unit expedited my case, and the $ was back in my account 4 days later).

By the way ConnertheCat, HSBC’s fraud unit IS, in fact, in Buffalo. I would have immediately been transferred there during business hours, but the thieves are clever little buggers, so they steal on bank holiday weekends while HSBC seemingly fumbles about for a few days.

For the following reasons, I suspect HSBC allows the fraud to occur:

Firstly, the FBI is investigating the ring, so they need fraud to occur to follow the trail.

Secondly, I was able to use my card over the weekend after the pathetic scum on Sunset Blvd stole money with which I would normally feed my niece and nephew.

Thirdly, I had only $650 in my account. If I had attempted to withdraw $3,400 in $400 increments over 10 minutes 2000 miles away from a $40 withdrawal 1 hour earlier, NO ATM would permit me to do so. I think they are now capping the bugger punks at $2,000-whether or not that amount is in the victim’s account…my boyfriend’s account had only $700 when the replay occurred over President’s Day wknd. (CS in India told him that AOL was holding $1,500)!!

Fourthly, during my initial freak out call to CS after India transferred me to the US call center, the rep told me that there was a note on my account that HSBC had already caught the fraudulent activity, and that was why I could not access funds…not the negative $1,900. OYy. Will anyone ever read this?

OR, it’s easy to byspass HSBC’s security net on cash limits once someone already has your Debit card # and PIN#.

Ultimately, the lesson here is simple; When you are cold and need funds in Brooklyn nowhere near any banks, just go hungry and cold. DO NOT use the Deli ATM machine at Coney Island Ave and Cortelyou. They will copy your ATM card as you withdraw cash, and film you as you enter your PIN #. You will return a week later, again cold and hungry negative $3,000, and notice that the deli purchased a new ATM machine…huh. No way to trace how they sold your info to their bugger buddies in LA, Bulgaria and Romania.

Keith, did you use one of those machines?

OR, HSBC has absolutely no security net for their ATM cards.

By the by, in order for th