Free Advice: Don't Deposit Bags Of Meth In The ATM

Here’s a little free advice from your friends at The Consumerist: Don’t deposit bags of meth at the ATM. You don’t get any interest and they’re probably going to figure out who are after they see your name and account number.

According to WLKY, this advice could have been of use to an 18-year-old woman who accidentally deposited a bag of meth along with a check in a Washington ATM. A bank employee found the drugs and called the police.

And yes, it was a credit union.

Woman Accused Of Depositing Meth At Bank [WKLY]
(Photo:Todd Kravos)

Comments

1. Caduceus says:

Link takes you to “Man Fights City Hall over Red Light Camera”

Correct Link: [www.nbc10.com]

2. iguanoid says:

And here I thought banks had to uphold the client-bank privilege thingy that I see on Law & Order reruns all the time.

3. hypnotik_jello says:

There is no client-bank privilege

4. iguanoid says:

@hypnotik So you are telling me that Law & Order reruns aren’t a good place to obtain financial and legal advice??

5. Hoss says:

Is she having withdrawals?

6. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

@Hossofcourse: Haha!

7. Jaysyn was banned for: http://consumerist.com/5032912/the-subprime-meltdown-will-be-nothing-compared-to-the-prime-meltdown#c7042646 says:

What a good way to send someone up the river if you have access to their bank account!

Girlfriend cheats on you? Meth is readily availible in most of the US (Thanks War on Drugs!) & carries a harsh sentence!

Just get some, get her deposit slip & wear a big hat while making the deposit.

8. woodenturkey says:

I wondered why the teller was moving so fast

9. shadow735 says:

Drop Box with a whole new meaning!!

10. Anonymous says:

“According to officers, the woman said she might have mistakenly included the bag when she got money out of her pocket for the deposit.”

What ‘crack’ investigators they have working on the case..

11. The Porkchop Express says:

I’m surprised she didn’t tear the ATM apart once she realized….if she did.

Also, how do you get meth into an ATM? is meth flat??

12. gamehendge2000 says:

this story is obviously false.

people who use meth don’t have any cash to deposit.

13. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

What meth addict has extra cash to deposit in the first place??

14. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

@gamehendge2000: Damn, I’m too slow.

15. B says:

@iguanoid: Well, if you put the meth in a safe deposit box, or it was a Swiss bank account, you’d be set.

16. tedyc03 says:

For someone using speed she was aweful slow…

17. levenhopper says:

@gamehendge2000: She could be a dealer…

18. e-gadgetjunkie says:

@Lo-Pan: If they’re like the new ATMs my bank has, the bills go into this compartment and are counted by the machine. You can put I think 100 bills in at a time. Then it counts and weighs and tells you how much you deposited. I wonder how much the Meth was worth.

19. Oh, sure — marijuana in a vending machine is fine, but meth in the ATM gets you arrested. The War on Drugs is so confusing.

20. This is why I bank at Mega Conglomo Bank, they don’t have enough time to call the cops over a little meth and they don’t know who I am, anyways.

21. 3drage says:

“And yes, it was a credit union.” Curious as to what is meant by this line.

22. GearheadGeek says:

@Michael Bauser: Well, pot in vending machines is fine with the state of California, but the feds still contend that it causes the eating cute kittens raw and destroys the Institution of Marriage, or some other such neocon claptrap.

23. humphrmi says:

You should switch to a credit union.

Oh, wait, sorry, wrong thread.

24. BoC says:

@Hossofcourse: Is she having withdrawals?

Not yet…

25. magic8ball says:

@humphrmi: No, you’ve got the right thread. You should switch to a credit union, you might be getting a little “bonus” with your deposit.

26. CurbRunner says:

I bet those bank employees have fun going through everybody’s safe deposit boxes to see what kind of stashes they can find.

27. Phil says:

I think you mean this article.

28. toddkravos says:

Meth, it’s a helluva drug, yo.
    Oh and thanks for the exposure, again :)

Have a happy friday!

29. DrGirlfriend says:

My husband and I saw this story yesterday, and he told me that when he was a teenager working the drive-thru at a fast food joint, a customer paid for his order with a five-dollar bill and a dime bag.

30. chartrule says:

LOL

gives a new meaning to “saving for a rainy day” Eh !

31. ARP says:

@DrGirlfriend: Is it wrong that I don’t see anything wrong with that? As long as the bill wasn’t over $15, I think I’d be OK with that.

32. 92BuickLeSabre says:

It just makes good financial sense. The dollar is weak and the meth is strong!

33. DrGirlfriend says:

@ARP: The dime bag was a mistake. The bill didn’t exceed $5.

The munchies got the better of the guy, apparently.

34. Trai_Dep says:

If Credit Unions really were customer-focused, the teller would have tasted it, wrote a review, recommended a better source (or offer to refer if it was AWEsome), and given the woman a free crack-pipe (umm is a crack pipe different than a crank pipe: chemistry is hard!). Harumph.

The big banks would have simply taken one look, laughed contemptuously and ground it underfoot. The sub-prime mess clearly shows they have been smoking the BEST crack available for the past three years.

35. Trai_Dep says:

…I guess that’s ONE way to get the teller’s line to speed up

36. KogeLiz says:

The link brings me to “Man Fights City Hall Over Red-Light Camera Ticket”

37. Buran says:

@3drage: You must be new here, then.

In all seriousness, how the heck can you get the envelope INTO the ATM in the first place if it has anything more than a few sheets of paper inside? The ATMs around here look like they’d just get jammed up if you did that.

38. Buran says:

@KogeLiz: And me. And I can’t believe the stupidity of that city. I’d have been in court contesting the bullshit fine, if I were him…

39. Snarkysnake says:

Does the bank have a fee for depositing pharamaceuticals ? If she used some bank other than her own , would they have a surcharge for that ?

40. forgottenpassword says:

Hmmm, that would be an interesting way to get someone else in trouble. Say I had a person I didnt like…. to get them in trouble I took a bag of drugs & deposit it (along with some cash) in a night deposit slot in his/her name(Of course…. you’d have to make sure there were no cameras around recording you dropping it off)…. then police come a knocking!

41. m4ximusprim3 says:

Judging by the people who work at my local WAMU branch, the only uncommon behaviours described in this article are
    1) The woman not working there and
    2) The teller not pocketing the drugs.

Seriously, the staff at my bank looks like the mos isley spaceport from star wars.

42. aliencam says:

your link is bad as soon as it’s not the “mainclick” anymore.

here is the proper link for the article:

[www.nbc10.com]

43. lakesnake says:

I just signed up for an account at that bank and I am now waiting for my Meth withdrawal card…..

44. nerakkah says:

Heh..I am a teller at the local credit union, and to reduce cost, we use ATMs that are a few generations behind cutting edge. I’d suspect that the ATM that she deposited this into is probably about as old as ours, which require envelopes and are not able to count cash or checks – we tellers do that when we empty the ATM the next business day.

Not to say that doesn’t confuse some people, I have seen money just dropped into the ATM without an envelope, which makes it a bit more difficult to decipher which account it is supposed to go into.