Picked A Laser Eye Doctor

Last month I asked the readers for help finding a laser eye surgeon, and to make up for the slight abuse of editorial privilege by letting you know how I picked him. I believe I have settled on one that was suggested by several of the readers, Dr. Koplin with Laserone. His name was mentioned by several of the readers. I wanted someone close by because of the followup visits. I felt comfortable with the staff when I went in for an evaluation. He’s with the esteemed New York Eye and Ear hospital. The job will only cost around $3,000. Sweet. I just gotta schedule the surgery and then I’m going under the laser. Pew pew!

(Photo: TheAlieness GiselaGiardino²³)

Comments

1. Toof_75_75 says:

Good luck! Hope it goes well.

2. Toof_75_75 says:

Also, $3000 doesn’t seem too bad…how bad are your eyes to begin with?

3. laserjobs says:

Were you not warned as a young boy that if you keep doing that you will go blind?

4. LorneReams says:

I worked for the company the produced the laser optics. I had the opportunity to have it done for free, but wimped out at the last minute. I still regret the decision. Good luck!

5. Trai_Dep says:

Hmm, I would have gone with Dr. Stan Lee. Yeah, it costs $14,000, but on the other hand, you can shoot optic blasts at assorted miscreants and malefactors. Err, if you look good in form-clinging Spandex.

6. Kenneth says:

@LorneReams: you’re not a “Company Man” are you?

7. Beerad says:

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Ben. Please keep us posted of the updates. I’m interested and have had several friends get the procedure with great results, but am personally too cowardly to let a laser near my eyes or crotch. (No, I’m not sure what surgery would cause scenario #2, but the same paranoia applies).

8. RandoX says:

I had it done several years ago. I’m sure I’ve saved that amount on glasses, contacts, and solution.

9. Toof_75_75 says:

@Beerad: Laser hair removal?

10. I just got glasses for the first time last month… I’m leaning to deal with it… getting older sucks.

11. sburnap42 says:

Good luck. I love mine. On my last eye appointment, I got 3 out of 5 on the smallest line on the chart. (20/10) Not having glasses is awesome.

12. rhombopteryx says:

@Beerad:

Scenario #2 is fairly common – an Iexpectyoutodienottalkectomy.

13. Underpants Gnome says:

Best of luck. I got mine done back when my company offered good insurance that covered it. Best $800 I ever spent. Even $3k would still be well worth it.

14. SoCalGNX says:

Spouse did it and got rid of thick glasses. He has been very happy. His only regret was not getting the life time guarantee in which they would give him a readjustment later on if needed.

15. Shawna says:

I got my eyes lasered 7 years ago, and I *still* love it. It’s one of the best things I’ve ever done. It was psychadelic, but not painful (“Keep your eyes on the blinking light!” while everything is blurry and strange). I would recommend it to anyone that is a candidate for it.
    However, picking a good place is definitely important – a girl I worked with got hers done around the same time as me at a different place. Her place told her opposite instructions from me (hers: stay awake for 5 hours afterward, mine: plan on sleeping for 5 hours after the surgery so you sleep through the painful part) and she had lots of complications. I had none! :)

16. dripdrop says:

I got LASIK 2 years ago as a Christmas present (thanks, mom and dad!). Previously I had worn glasses and then contacts since 5th grade (I was 20 when I had it done). It’s been amazing not having to worry about that anymore. Just take your sleeping pills and take it easy! Also be sure to use those eyedrops as directed. Enjoy having everyone laugh at your for the dorky eye shields you get to wear to bed/shower in.

17. PeteRR says:

I had my Lasik done in the Fall of ’99. The doctor I went to did his own consultations, surgeries, and all followup visits. He’d already done 300+ procedures before mine. My vision was 20/70 for the left eye, 20/400 in my right. After the surgery, 20/20 left, 20/15 right.

It cost me $5000. I put the entire thing on a 0% American Express card, paid it off in the 6 month grace period, and wrote the entire thing off my taxes as an unreimbursed medical expense. Because of my tax bracket, I netted an additional $1500 back in my refund.

I wore glasses from age 9 until age 37 and I hated every minute of it. Lasik was the best discretionary purchase I ever made.

Good luck with your procedure.

18. snazz says:

i have an astigmatism and i HATE wearing contacts for it, because if they dry slightly or when i blink the lens disorients and my vision is momentarily blurred. is something like this possible for me? my vision also weakens, and i need a new prescription about every 2-3 years. i would prob be back in contacts after having this done.

19. harumph says:

it’s hard to tell if the lasers are coming or going in that photo. wouldn’t it be cool if lasik could make your eyes shoot lasers? it’d be worth the $3000 for sure then.

20. picardia says:

@snazz: I had an astigmatism, and I had very good results with my LASIK. And my vision was extremely poor — basically at the far end of what they’ll attempt to correct; blinder than that, and you’re out of luck. (-12 diopters = bat time.) I ended up with 20/35 vision, which is fine to drive without corrective lenses and a huge, huge life improvement. So it’s probably possible for you too.

In lieu of specific doctor suggestions (mine was in 1999, so I hardly recall anymore), the general rules of thumb are: (1) Find someone who does a LOT of LASIK. You don’t want somebody who does two procedures a week; you want somebody who does two a day. (2) If at all possible, go to an eye-care center affiliated with a hospital or longstanding, respected medical practice. (No strip mall LASIK.)

I will have to wear glasses again someday, but they’ll be normal glasses instead of the coke-bottle horrors I dealt with for years and years. And I’ve had nearly a decade free of corrective lenses. I paid around $4000, and it was absolutely money well spent. (I’d have spent that on contacts, saline and new eyeglasses prescriptions by now, for sure.)

21. Castille says:

I had it done in April of 1997, and I’ve still got 20/20 vision. Absolutely THE best $4000 I ever spent. Ever.

All of my hobbies made glasses and contacts a serious annoyance, so the procedure has made a enormous difference in my quality of life. I hear that the procedure has been improved a lot since I had it done.

My only caveat is to confirm that your doctor has done this procedure many thousands of times–there’s a strong correlation to success with that. It was hard to find somebody like that in 1997, but there’s no reason to trust your vision to a newbie doctor these days.

22. I LOVE my Lasik… but a word of warning: tho’ the procedure is painless, it is highly uncomfortable. It was very disturbing to have to lay absolutely still with your eyes taped open and your tear ducts stuffed closed then smell the burning from the laser. Sorry, I was such a wreck during my procedure that they had to give me 3 valuim.

23. felixgolden says:

This coming April will be 8 years since I had my eyes done by Dr. Koplin. Still the best thing I ever did.

24. the_wiggle says:

@Beerad: hi-tech vasectomy perhaps?

25. velvetjones says:

@snazz: I have astigmatism (20/400 in both eyes) and had PRK done, which is similar but not the same as LASIK. I would have happily paid triple for the procedure it’s made such a huge difference in my life. Go get a consulataion.

26. chrylis says:

I do suggest considering PRK, as the above poster did. It’s got a longer recovery period, but the outcomes are the same, and PRK has a much lower risk of complications later on.

About half of LASIK patients have permanent dry eyes, which is made worse during computer use, and the flap doesn’t heal back fully and can be reinjured.

I chose PRK over LASIK and have been quite happy with my choice. I have extremely large pupils (7mm+) but have had no haloing problems, and my -7.00D eye is now about +2.50D–I’ll have another treatment, but I can see without lenses for the first time in years.

27. It’s great to hear all of these success stories. I hope to have my eyes done too someday, after my vision settles down. (I’m in the same boat, Snazz; no astigmatism though.)

Good luck, Ben! Enjoy those legal drugs!

28. WEGGLES90 says:

@ceejeemcbeegee:

*Note to self act VERY nervous during procedure :)*

I want to get this done eventually. ‘Cause glasses for me are just inconvenient. So this would be great :).

29. PinkBox says:

@snazz: I had heavy astigmatism in both eyes and was able to have it done. I highly recommend. :)