Massive North American Blackberry Outage

Blackberry smartphones are screwed up! There’s a massive outage going on in “the Americas” says RIM.

“This is an emergency notification regarding the current BlackBerry Infrastructure outage,” RIM support account manager Bryan Simpson said in an e-mail. The message said the outage affected enterprise clients and “users of the Americas network.”

RIM was not immediately available for comment and its e-mail gave no estimate on when service may be restored or how many individuals could be affected.

Rut-roh, Shaggy!

UPDATE 1-RIM notifies of “critical” BlackBerry outage [Reuters] (Thanks, Mexifinn!)

Comments

1. MexiFinn says:

Fact. BB service is down for a lot of people

[www.reuters.com]

2. Exek says:

It was just on the news in Boston so i’m guessing Boston is feeling it too

3. randybritn says:

My company notified its BB users that there is a national service outage for AT & T BB users. Estimated fix may take 24 — 48 hours per AT & T.

4. randybritn says:

Updated from my company. “This should have been communicated as a Nationwide RIM (BB) outage. It is not an AT & T service outage.

5. Aut0mat1c says:

I have been having problems all day here in SoCal.

6. reggien48 says:

all backberry service is down

[www.cnn.com]

7. ChicagoAndy says:

Chicago Tribune reports Blackberry is down accross all of North America: [www.chicagotribune.com],0,6903456.story

8. Sndtrkman says:

It’s also on Yahoo’s Front page right now.

9. :wh(),3 ao45& 83tRYl0 ?

:sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

10. Crymson_77 says:

Mine is running again, but was down most of the afternoon. It may just be a hiccup though and service may still be screwed…

11. Szin says:

I wonder if people will soon remember what life was like before being able to be E-Mailed everywhere you go.

12. Flame says:

Weird. Mine is working. I’m in Idaho, btw

13. Kung Fu Cantona says:

Mines been down since 3:00 EST.

14. bohemian says:

Funny. We had a rather odd cell phone outage around 4pm CST. You could call some numbers and others just went dead. Some people had no network at all and others had sporadic network depending on what provider you were using.

This was odd even for the BFE of Sioux Falls. We actually have decent tower coverage. So I am guessing it was something more upstream.

15. SabrinaFaire says:

OMG! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together – mass hysteria! What will people do if their thumbs aren’t skittering across a crackberry whilst walking very slowly down work hallways and making the rest of us late for meetings/work/the bathroom/lunch?

16. Meg Marco says:

@SabrinaFaire: You just saved the lives of millions of registered voters.

17. gibwar says:

This is why I hate having a BlackBerry… there’s a single point of failure that is out of our control. We use Microsoft Exchange at work, so there’d be no issue switching to Windows Mobile for us. Oh how I’d love to use a WM device at work…

Did I mention that I hate having a BlackBerry?

18. howie_in_az says:

@gibwar: … because Microsoft Exchange is the epitome of stability?

19. samurailynn says:

This really scared me when I read the headline too quickly and saw “shortage” instead of “outage”. I was imagining this summer without fresh blackberry jam or cobbler!

20. m4ximusprim3 says:

@howie_in_az: shhh. stop pointing out that the green grass is only painted! You’re just making his crackberry addled existence even bleaker.

21. matto says:

Nice of them to send out an email notifying us. Too bad I can’t seem to get my email at the moment. hm…

22. Nice work, Project Mayhem! [golf clap]

23. Caprica Six says:

geez, no wonder I have not gotten any e-mails! Thanks consumerist!! Boo RIM!

24. Rask says:

Problem seems to be solved now. At least the BES(Blackberry Enterprise Server) that I manage has had it’s mail queues just empty out over the last 5 minutes or so.

25. gibwar says:

@howie_in_az, @m4ximusprim3: lol, I’m not saying it’s stable, but I feel better when the point of failure is in our area rather than outside.

The main reason I was mentioning Exchange is the fact that it cuts out the middle man, in this case RIM. With Exchange, the access is direct, unlike RIM where you install some connector to upload your email to RIM servers for your blackberry to download.

26. aviationwiz says:

Verizon Wireless in Minneapolis, MN, and I’ve been up and running all day.

27. azntg says:

The Canadian Conspiracy that affects both Canadians and Americans alike. How funny.

28. RISwampyankee says:

Mercury’s retrograde folks. Back up your data, hold your nose and ride the razor!

29. FLConsumer says:

NO issues at all with my Blackberry all day in Florida / Alltel. What crappy provider are the rest of you guys using?

@gibwar: I’ve got a UTStarcomm 6700 Windows Mobile PocketPC phone for sale if you want it. Can’t stand Windows Mobile. Replaced it with a BB 7250. Admittedly quite a step back in terms of capabilities, *BUT* it flat out works and everything it does, it does well. Contrast this to the Windows Mobile device which crashed frequently, was terribly cumbersome to use, short battery life, and the interface absolutely sucks.

Am I happy about the proprietary-ness of the Blackberry? No, but I’ll gladly go for a device which WORKS (BB) over one which doesn’t (Windows Mobile).

30. Buran says:

@bohemian: I tried to call a coworker of mine here in Missouri and the phone dropped all 10 calls without ever ringing through once but when I hung up and dialed my bf it went through instantly. I’m guessing somebody screwed up bigtime.

31. Buran says:

@FLConsumer: I don’t blame you one bit for dumping WM. I did, and got an iphone. Much happier. Like you say, proprietary systems are less extensible (though the iphone has an SDK coming soon) that should fix that, but “IT WORKS” is much better than “it sort of works but not really and bogs down all the time”. I shouldn’t have to reboot my phone just to get it to respond enough to show the keypad so I can call someone!

32. GeekChicCanuck says:

This is really weird. My boss has a BlackBerry and I contacted him immediately this morning when I saw this appearing on the Web. He wasn’t having any trouble and hasn’t had any all day (he’s in SK). Bizarre…

33. Caswell says:

Damn shame my BlackBerry isn’t affected by this. I still woke up to a dozen e-mails.

Would the Type A’s that feel compelled to e-mail me at three in the morning kindly STFU.