¿Dónde está mi reembolso? We don’t speak Spanish, but maybe you do. The IRS’ popular “Where is my refund?” feature is now available in en Español. [IRS]

Comments

1. azntg says:

Finalmente, las gentes que pagan impuestos en los Estados Unidos deben saber donde estan sus reembolosos.

Bleh, one of the few (grammar problems laden, aside from accent marks) application of the high school Spanish that I had :-P

2. jstonemo says:

Thank you for calling the IRS, your refund is currently being held to fund the theft of American public benefits by illegal aliens. Have a nice day!

3. Canerican says:

Good! Now we need to pay to have two copies of IRS forms because some people refuse to learn our language!Where do these people who don’t speak English work? Because most places now ask you have at least high school level English to get a job, and some people can’t say “net income” in English. If you can speak English at a fifth grade level, you need to leave. I don’t care about accents, I have an accent, but if you can’t speak our language and you can’t learn our cultural norms, you have to go home. This is American we CAN make you choose between your old culture and make you adapt to new society.

I only spoke French when I moved to America, now I speak English nearly perfectly (I got A’s in advanced writing classes at SUNY at Buffalo). I didn’t demand people break thier backs for me, I learned English pretty well within a few weeks because I had to, and I didn’t force my culture on others. This makes me so mad.

4. Myotheralt says:

@Canerican: i (heart) your views

5. LissaKay says:

I hate … HATE! when I have to “Press 1 for English” or sort through five other languages to read the directions on a bottle of household cleanser!

6. balthisar says:

What’s the problem? It’s not like the tax forms are in Spanish. It’s a nice service for those that do have basic comprehension, but want to make damned sure of what they’re reading when dealing with a government bureaucracy.

To turn the tables, at my company locations in Mexico, one of the rules is you have to turn in your CV in English, and interviews are conducted in English.

7. deadlizard says:

@Canerican: Why the jealously? If you had millions of French speakers paying taxes, the IRS would learn French too.

8. Lea9017 says:

kids in europe learn two or three languages besides their own, why do americans feel they shouldn’t learn the cultures of other people, seems pretty self centered to me

9. Pamoya says:

@ Lissakay : I honestly don’t understand why people get upset at having to press 1 for English. it takes like a second, and usually if you don’t press anything the automated system will assume English. Businesses (or government agencies) are trying to accommodate their customers, and what’s wrong with that?

By the way, if you call the Michigan EBT (food stamp) hotline, it’s press 1 for English, press 2 for Spanish, press 3 for Arabic. ;)