Waiting 80 Minutes For Your "Take-And-Bake" Pizza Gives You Time To Compose Your Angry Blog Post

Over at Wise Bread they’re not too happy about Papa Murphy’s (a “take-and-bake” pizza place) and their ordering system. The main complaint? People who walk in off the street are served before people who phone in ahead of time. Phoning your order in results in endless waiting and watching as walk-ins order and get their (uncooked) pizzas. Frustrating.

Here’s a discription of the Papa Murphy’s ordering process:

1. Call ahead and order your pizza.
2. Turn up 20 minutes later and pay.
3. Be told “that’ll be just a few minutes.”
4. Wait a few minutes.
5. Watch some guy come into the store and order.
6. Wait a few more minutes.
7. Watch more people come in with phone orders.
8. Watch them pay.
9. Watch the guy who just came in get his pizza.
10. Scratch your head and wonder why.
11. Wait a few more minutes.
12. Watch some lady wander into the store and place an order.
13. Watch more people come in with phone orders.
14. Try not to laugh at them.
15. Wait a few more minutes.
16. Watch lady who just came in get her pizza.
17. Start getting really annoyed.
18. Watch other people with phone orders get annoyed.
19. Repeat steps 5 though 18 for the next HOUR.
20. Form a protest gang with fellow hungry, pissed off phone order customers.
21. Go to counter, see masses of tickets in no particular order.
22. Watch young store clerk give you bewildered ‘help me’ look.
23. Organize a committee.
24. Sort through tickets, find phone orders.
25. Get phone orders made, hoping there is no spit in the pizzas.
26. Receive, as a way of saying sorry for the long wait, NOTHING extra in return.
27. Leave store with pizza, grumpy.
28. Return home to hungry, annoyed family.
29. Recount steps 1 through 27 while pizza cooks using your own electricity.
30. Eat pizza begrudgingly.

Wait 80 minutes for a pizza I have to cook myself? You kiddin’ me?

Great idea for Papa Murphy’s – make the pizzas in order.
[WiseBread] (Thanks, Dan!)

Comments

1. DrWebster says:

I don’t really understand why one would need to pre-order a Papa Murphy’s pizza to begin with. I think the longest I’ve ever waited for one that I’ve ordered in the store is about 3 minutes. You have to go to the store to pick it up anyway, why not just order it when you get there?

2. Meat_Shield says:

Oooooo, bitter much?

Seriously, we just had one of these open right near our house. Have gone there at least three times, phoning ahead each time, and laugh at the poor schlubs waiting in line to order, then walk right up to the register and give them my name. Under five minutes later I’m walking out the door with my pizza pie.

And this is with a brand new store staffed entirely by high school kids, all still learning how to do it.

If you don’t like it, you haven’t paid yet. Wait as long as you feel appropriate, then leave. You don’t pay until the pizza is in hand.

3. dwarf74 says:

Wow – I’ve never, ever had this problem and I get Papa Murphy’s all the time. I’m pretty sure this is just one location that’s screwing up like this.

As far as the cost gripe in that blog… Papa Murphy’s similar in price to Domino’s or Papa John’s or whatever, but the difference in quality is huge. They use excellent ingredients and don’t skimp on them.

Wow, now I’m hungry. Thanks a lot, Consumerist.

4. Shawna says:

@DrWebster: Maybe they thought it would be faster if they ordered ahead, so it would already be ready when they showed up.

5. PinkBox says:

I would have left after the first 20 minutes. What is the sense in waiting 80??

6. Meat_Shield says:

7. Shawna says:

@Meat_Shield: They can’t just leave, they’ve already paid (in step 2)

8. Bay State Darren says:

Off-topic: I just love how other pizza chains [Uno, Papa Gino's, etc.] at least try to sound Italian when naming their company which specializes in a food strongly associated by our cuture with Italian cuisine. What name do these guys use? Murphy. The first time I heard of them selling pizza under an Irish-based brand name I couldn’t help but laugh. [Nothin' against the Irish, I am one myself.]

9. olderbudwizer says:

why not just order it when you get there? Because you SHOULD have to wait while they fix the phone-in orders first.

10. evilhapposai says:

The whole concept of Papa Murphy’s baffles me. Why the hell would I order a pizza I have to bake myself at home? It is a buttload cheaper if I was going to bake a pizza at home to just make it myself or even get one from the local grocery store (frozen or also freshly made at most grocers). I had someone bring one of these pizzas to an event I was at and could honestly say it did not taste any different than the same crap bake at home pizza Wal-mart sells.

Especially 80+minutes hell if Pizza hut takes more than a half-hour on a fully cooked one I make them eat the cost (and never pay for a pizza up-front).

11. shan6 says:

Wait what is the advantage of using this place at all?

12. Meat_Shield says:

Gahk. Something ate my previous post.

Sorry Shawna, missed that in the post. At my location, you don’t pay until the pizza is in hand.

DRWEBSTER: my location (probably because it is still new) always has fifteen deep at the walk in line when I go there.

13. jaydez says:

I had this exact same problem with Wings over Newington in CT on Superbowl Sunday. I sent them an email on Monday and still have yet to get a response.

14. Leiterfluid says:

I’ve been eating at Papa Murphy’s for years. I’ve never waited more than 5 minutes for a pizza. It’s great if you want to pick it up early in the day to eat later at night, they have a great selection of fresh toppings, you don’t have to pay for delivery, you don’t have to tip, and you don’t have to wait for some kid to get lost trying to find your house. You get your pizza fresh out of the oven.

Really, why would you choose anything else? This incident is the exception, not the rule.

15. smitty1123 says:

I’ve got a suggestion to insert into your list.

New Step 11: Take your thumb out of your ass and go to the counter and actually ask how long your pizza will be.

Seriously, you waited for a freaking hour without even bothering to ask what the hold up is? Idiot…

16. smitty1123 says:

Honestly, this is as bad as those pathetic loosers who complain “awwww, girls don’t like me, they only like assholes, nice guys finish last, etc.” but never even bother to as a freaking girl out! Gaaaaaaaaa!

I need a drink…

17. homerjay says:

@smitty1123: Assert ones self? Can’t someone else do it?

18. I had a party last night, and made 3 pizzas using refrigerated dough. I used fresh toppings of my own choosing, didn’t leave the house, and it took 14 minutes. I spent about $6. I really cannot understand spending $10+ on pre-made frozen pizza that you have to pick up.

19. kimsama says:

@Bay State Darren: Next up: Murphy’s Sushi ‘n Steak!

20. jamesdenver says:

Hey here’s my pizza making tip for the week. If you buy some pizza dough like Alison said – just go to the salad bar for your toppings – instead of buying veggies and chopping them up.

Slather on the sauce and spread on the toppings, and bam you’re done.

21. uhm, it’s not delivery, it’s DiGiorno’s?

Or, better idea: Go to a locally owned and operated pizza joint, buy dough from them. Top with whatever you like and bake at home. Life is good.

22. MercuryPDX says:

@DrWebster: Seconded. It’s always been faster to walk in, as this clearly proves.

@shawna_m: It never is. In the four or five times I phoned ahead it was ready and waiting once. I just show up now.

@shan6: It’s relatively cheap and good quality (for what it is compared to my alternatives.)

@Meat_Shield: It’s all in the timing I think. I usually drop in mine at around 7:00 and it’s crickets.

23. suburbancowboy says:

So let me get this straight. They have a business where they sell pizza, and you have to bake it yourself? And that is all they sell?

What state is this located in? It would go out of business in a week if it was here in New York.

Obviously, if you have to bake it yourself, you own an oven. So in the 80 minutes this blogger spent, He could’ve made his own dough, and his own tomato sauce added some cheese, and various toppings. It probably would’ve tasted better, and he could take pride in the fact that he made his own pizza.

24. SpdRacer says:

The one we had here in C’dale, was in wallyworld and was good, but lasted less than 6 months. Kinda sad, but not really. I miss any CHICAGO pizza, best in the world.

25. Rusted says:

@causticitty: Same here, I’d be gone. Eighty minutes of my life that way, no way.

26. MercuryPDX says:

@AlisonAshleigh: They’re not frozen or pre-made.

@PotKettleBlack: Much like in the Domino’s threads, local mom-and pops are few and far between for me. Pizza Schmizza is close, but is considered “Gourmet” and more expensive.

27. 8abhive says:

The main problem I’ve seen across multiple PMs is that they’re staffed by powerless and barely trained employees. That’s fine when things are going smoothly, but problems send them into the weeds. Watching them struggle with errant orders or special requests can be trying.

Last time I went to pick up my order I had to wait for a dispute between the teen cashier and a guy with an undated coupon. Teen: It’s expired. Him: There’s no date, how can you tell? Repeat. Eye-roll. Criminy, GIVE HIM THE DOLLAR OFF AND LET THE REST OF US GET HOME!

As for making something better at home, I agree it’s easy, but about once a month at the end of a long day I’m the last guy to want to go shopping. I appreciate being able to call PM on my way, then call home to have the oven pre-heated. Bang, done. Unless there’s a dreaded “coupon event.”

28. 92BuickLeSabre says:

Sometimes it just takes a while to get sufficiently baked.

29. Saboth says:

This is my favorite story: Ordered Papa John’s (2 pizza deal) on the internet at 5:55 pm. Arrived at store at 6:25. Line of people…wait. Asked to pick up my order. Man said come back in 10 minutes. Um..ok. Sat in my truck for 15 minutes. Went back inside. Line of people again…wait. Finally get to the register. Man looks around, looks at tickets…rushes to the back..slops together 1 pizza and tosses it in the oven. Says it will be ready in 15 minutes. Umm…
    #1.I ordered TWO pizzas
    #2.I want them made well…not thrown together.
    #3.It is now 7pm.

Got my money back, and haven’t been back since. I’ve seen a sign outside of that store this week that made my day though: “Give us another chance. Under new management”.

30. Sherryness says:

I never liked their process; the wait was always surprisingly long for something that is supposed to be super-quick. Also, the crust always comes out gummy, no matter how I cook it. I don’t go there anymore.

31. iblamehistory says:

That happened to me. Called ahead to order, was told it would be roughly 2 hours, just about told them where to put it… got in the car, drove about 30 seconds down the street, and was home within 5 minutes with the pizza that I had ordered upon walking in.

32. Xerloq says:

OP went wrong with step 2. You don’t pay until you have the pizza. Seriously, how hard is it to ask if your order is ready before you pay? If it’s not ready, simply ask that they take 2 minutes to assemble the pizza (just as if you walked in off the street).

Or try the drive through. Ours has one and it takes priority over phone orders and walk-ins.

As to what do they offer? Ours regularly sells 16″ pepperoni pizzas for $5. Extra toppings are usually $0.50 to $1.00 more, each.

From order to eating (including travel and cooking time) it’s about 30 minutes for a pizza that tastes better than Dominos or Pizza Hut, for $5 less, and a couple of pennies more than it would cost to make yourself.

33. Osi says:

We had one open up about two years ago around here. They have this stupid ordering system that “requires” your name and address and phone number, even if you walk on in to order …

I am now known as “Santa” in the system, as they do NOT need my information.

34. MissPeacock says:

I simply cannot imagine sitting on my butt for 80 minutes, twiddling my thumbs, wondering where my pizza is, and NOT ASKING SOMEONE what was taking so long.

35. thatgirlinnewyork says:

@Bay State Darren: My sentiments exactly! In what land would a proprietor named “Murphy” make a decent pizza? Happy that there’s no need for this malarchy (sp) on our happy island paradise.

36. Laffy Daffy says:

@SpdRacer: No more Quatro’s eh? That stuff ruled when I was a Saluki.

37. Difdi says:

I’ve had Papa Murphy’s pizza before. Know what the “secret” ingredient is that distinguishes a good pizza from the kind most people make at home? Most people buy part-skim mozzarella cheese. Try buying whole milk mozzarella instead. Then your home-made can taste just as good as the pizza restaurant pizzas.

38. Jon Mason says:

@AlisonAshleigh: Wow – you didnt have to leave the house to buy pizza dough or fresh toppings? Do you have a pepperoni tree in your back yard?

39. Sherryness says:

@Shannara: And to answer some people who said you can make the same thing at home … try actually EATYING poppa murphy’s pizza for once … you can tell some ingredients they use are not available to the general public …

Yeah, like industrial-grade emulsifiers and preservatives. Their pizza does not taste right to me.

40. The Porkchop Express says:

@ everyone that says cooking your own is cheaper…what are you putting on it? Where do you buy that stuff?
    Me, I like toppings. Not just cheese, if I were to make my own pizza I would have to buy: Dough, sauce, peppers, onions, ham/canadian bacon, regular bacon, ground beef, cheeses, and mushrooms.

Hmmm, I think the 10 dollar mark has been passed at that point.

41. RRich says:

@thatgirlinnewyork: So… Goldstein’s Dim Sum Palace is a probably not worth checking out? Thanks!

(And Luigi’s Kosher Deli, too, I’d bet.)

42. suburbancowboy says:

@xerloq: “From order to eating (including travel and cooking time) it’s about 30 minutes for a pizza that tastes better than Dominos or Pizza Hut”
    That’s not really saying much at all.

So it’s better than the worst pizza I’ve ever had in my entire life? A ringing endorsement.

Perhaps I am just spoiled living in New York, where in every town, there are at least a dozen good pizzerias.
    I can’t even begin to understand how Pizza hut or Domino’s could stay in business in New York.

43. RenardRouge says:

I really like Papa Murphy’s. We have another place in Columbus called Mama Mimi’s, and it’s quite good. Blue cheese, caramelized onions, and apricot marmalade pizza…mmm

44. The Porkchop Express says:

@rrich: I would eat at Goldsteins, I bet their shrimp fried rice would be the sh*t.

@Lo-Pan: forgot pepperoni.

45. RenardRouge says:

@suburbancowboy: Because their pizzas are inexpensive and not terrible. I like Pizza Hut a lot except for it is usually very salty (to me).

46. RRich says:

And Linda McCartney’s Steak House probably isn’t very good either, come to think of it.

47. speer320 says:

i go to papa murphys up the street but then see the line and go to local mexican food chain and get three meals for the price of a pizza lol……..

i just checked my papa murphys has lower health food scores then the mexican food place lol

48. RRich says:

@Lo-Pan: Good point. A natural affinity for Chinese food. Not debateable.

Of course, I remember going to Chinese restaurants in Brooklyn as a kid that had kreplach on the menu, so there ya go.

49. mikeluisortega says:

Sorry but buying a take and back pizza is stupid in the first place and then on top of that ordering ahead of time 20 MINUTES! Should have just hit up one of the local mom and pop shops in the area for the same price and just as fast.

50. SpdRacer says:

@boonesfarm: It is still here, I prefer Pagliai’s, but Quattro’s is good too. “549-5326, Quattro’s Deep Pan Pizza”, that commercial will be in my head till the day I die.

51. siberiankt says:

@Lo-Pan:

With that list of ingredients you could have several meals and half of them are freezable so you have it on hand if you want to throw together a spur of the moment pizza.

52. mworthen says:

Has to be that particular location. We buy pizza from PM’s on a regular basis, and have never been less than pleased with the quality, nor experienced an excessive wait time, whether we called ahead or not. I would have questioned the status of my order the first time someone that came in after me left with their order before me. By the way, there’s no food tax here in NM, and since their pizzas are not cooked, no tax on our order. Small bonus.

53. dandd says:

Their family sized pizzas are huge! They fit in my oven with maybe a 1/2″ gap between the edge of the pizza and the four inner walls of the oven.
    All the ingredients are first class. Top quality stuff
    and they absolutely pile that stuff on the pizza. They also get a bonus for awesome mushrooms. They were some of the best I’ve ever had on a pizza.
    The pizza sauce in my opinion is bland. Or maybe they don’t use enough of it. Either way, the sauce is the only thing I haven’t been impressed with.

54. Mr. Guy says:

Here’s my question- is this guy planning to put parmesan cheese and cookie dough on his pizza?

55. MarvinMar says:

I LOVE Papa Murphy’s
    We just got ours a few months ago and we get it weekly.
    The Stuffed Pizza is awsome. It’s not Stuffed Crust, the whole pizza is between 2 doughs. Very filling.

Something you may not realise is that in alot of states, you can use Food Stamps for this pizza because it is NOT cooked.
    (No im not on food stamps)
    Im from California and this was big there.
    We even ran a pizza joint for about 6 months. Didn’t make it, but like Papa Murphy’s, we did NOT skimp on the toppings. No stupid measuring cups for toppings.

56. discounteggroll says:

I still make my own pizza with an english muffin, tomato sauce, shredded cheese and a toaster oven. yeah, I’m still living like a kid, but at least I don’t have to put up with the shit others decide to

57. Joafu says:

How do you wait almost an hour and a half for a take and bake? This sounds like an extremely passive-aggressive approach; I would have either walked out after 20 minutes or would have seeked some insight as to why my pizza was taking so long to make. It is darn good pizza -my favorite- but I would have said *something*. The only course of action was the formation of a gang. Fail.

58. CharlieSeattle says:

Never had this happen to me.

59. ? graffiksguru says:

Ok, so it seems like this is an isolated incident and that not every Papa Murphys is like this. The one I go to, if I pre-ordered, its done when I get there and I don’t have to wait behind the 10 other people who just walked in.
    And, I probably would’ve started asking questions after the 2nd person who walked in got their pizza, instead of waiting an hour. (no offense)

60. doctor_cos wants you to remain calm says:

Pizza not ready? You get my money when I get my pizza, not before.
    Pretty simple solution.

61. MEoip says:

Let’s clear things up. Paper Murphy’s Doesn’t have Ovens, they don’t bake pizzas. When it comes to toppings it is hard to find fresher toppings without going to a fancy pizza place.
    To use PM effectively, download your always free coupon to get an extra large pizza for $.50 more than a medium (not available in all areas and not listed on PM’s website, check local circulars and local coupon sites). Order pizza , don’t forget the cheesy bread you are getting free for completing the phone survey from your last visit, over the phone leave 5 minutes later and use the drive through. Get your PM wallet card stamped. When you return home preheat your oven to 15 degrees less than instructed, bake for 2-3 minutes longer than instructed. While waiting complete the survey listed on the receipt to gain another free cheesy bread. Eat your pizza and then repeat the process Ad infinitum.

The actually assembly process at a PM is slower than other places since they don’t use a cheesy dropper (a pizza sized contraption that drops the proper amount of cheese on a pizza with one click) or a topping dropper. Toppings are hand placed.

p.s it’s still cheaper to go to the local pizza shop for a lump of dough and top it your self.

62. RRich says:

I just checked and their nearest store is in Tennessee, so I think I’ll pass. But thanks! Drive carefully everybody!

63. UnnamedUser says:

To those who ask, “why do the take-and-bake pizza at all?”

I’ve done Pappa Murphys a few times. The first was for the novelty of it. — Pretty good pizza. The other times have been after hard days when the pizza sounded good, but the take-out pizza joints here (small town) are all the NationalChain variety. So, it’s Pappa Murphy or no pizza. — I simply will not eat that stuff from the NationalChain pizza stores. It’s worse than awful.

64. RRich says:

Didn’t Kramer from Seinfeld come up with this concept?

65. brent_w says:

Meh, I find “take and bake pizza” to be rediculously pointless in the first place … so …

66. brent_w says:

@UnnamedUser: If you honestly think the
    pizza you take home is any better than the one a national chain
    prepares the exact same way and bakes …

Then you are either the most skilled baker in the world, able to flawlessly bake yours just right every time.

Or, (more likely), your imagination and the placebo effect have full control over your perceptions.

67. joemono says:

@mercurypdx: Schmizza is considered gourmet? I am no connoisseur, and I haven’t been there in ages, but I’ve never heard that before. Interesting.

68. trujunglist says:

Why not just order a pizza like everyone else if your phone order seems to be falling apart? When in Rome…

Also, I’m not quite sure I see the point. You don’t save money. The pizza is perhaps slightly better than any other chain that will actually cook your pizza and deliver it to you. You have to cook the pizza.

1) Order pizza by phone
    2) Drive/walk to store to get it after waiting about 5 minutes to give them a head start
    3) Wait around while they make it for you because they have more than 1 customer
    4) Drive/walk back to your place
    5) Cook pizza

Is there a time saving? No. Is there a money saving? No.
    The question that begs to be asked is if you prefer this method..
    why not make and cook your own pizza? It’s really not that difficult, it will likely save you money and time since you’ll have to go to the grocery store eventually anyway, and tastes better too.

69. trujunglist says:

@discounteggroll:
    Easiest and best way to go there, I do it all the time for a quick snack.

70. mandarin says:

No idea why you guys buy Papa Murphys… Nothing special about it. Why not just get a Little Caesars? 5$ and you get it cooked…

71. BStu says:

@suburbancowboy: I don’t get that either. I mean, I have trouble believing that quality local joints don’t spring up to challenge them out in the boonies, but I get that often they don’t. But why would anyone living in New York go to Dominos? Ditto for New Haven. Heck, even here in Boston there is no shortage of good pizza and okay pizza on every corner. Yet there are still Dominos around.

Like, I can get the other chains. I’m not a big fan, but they all have their unique charms. As the saying goes, even bad pizza is still pretty good. Which has led me to believe that Dominos simply isn’t pizza. Not sure what it is, but its not pizza. This much I’m sure of. I love pizza. I’ve eaten at top shelf New Haven parlors and cheap joints that had slices for $1 and I’ve always been able to eat it and enjoy it well enough. From frozen pies, to self-made pizzas with pita bread. Not Dominos. That stuff is just awful. I can easily get why Take-and-Bake could find a home in a market where Dominos reigns supreme.

72. Galls says:

@SpdRacer:

Thats funny every time I go anywhere, including chicago I go into Pizza withdrawal having to suffer through that spit while dreaming of my glorious NY pizza.

73. Franklin Comes Alive! says:

@mandarin:

Papa Murphy’s >> Little Caesar’s

74. Imaginary_Friend says:

I love how these pissed off customers all punished Papa Murphy’s by giving them their money.

75. MercuryPDX says:

@joemono: Sadly, the slogan is now “Gourmet Slice, Great Price”

[www.schmizza.com]

76. MercuryPDX says:

@joemono: P.S. As an import from NY, I will admit there was ONE time I actually drove 30 minutes for an “Escape From NY” pizza and devoured half of it on the ride home.

77. uhohagain says:

the papa murphey’s by my house is right next to the hollywood video. i usually go in, order, pay and then go rent a movie or game. then i walk back in and grab the pizza. done.

78. Rick Rockwell says:

I’m not sure why cooking the pizza is perceived as such a burden. You put it in the oven, maybe peek a couple times, you take it out of the oven 12-15 minutes later. Voila, hot and fresh.
    I’ve found PM’s to be better than other chains at about 2/3 of the cost, and in the suburbs the mom & pop joints are scarcer. I like to pick it up on the way home from work. It’s easier and quicker than making it myself, and you don’t have dirty dishes and leftover ingredients to deal with.

79. uhohagain says:

pizza schmizza is awesome, btw. i work at the airport and they deliver to the employees there. it’s possibly the greatest thing ever. no wasting my lunch break in the food court, it starts when my pizza walks up to me.

80. Jordan Lund says:

To the “Murphy is not an Italian name!” people…

The name of the chain originally was “Papa Aldo’s” then it merged with a chain called “Murphey’s Pizza”. The new chain, tada! Papa Murphey’s.

(Papa Aldo’s was way, way better…)

The more you know…

[nowtowns.com]

1981 Papa Aldo’s Pizza was founded in Hillsboro, Oregon
    1984 Murphy’s Pizza was founded in Petaluma, California
    1988 Terry Collins purchased controlling interest of Murphy’s Pizza (15 stores)
    1990 Terry Collins purchased Papa Aldo’s Pizza (65 stores)
    1995 The chains were merged into a single entity named Papa Murphy’s International, Inc., a privately held corporation based in Vancouver, Washington. At the time of the merger there were 86 Papa Aldo’s stores and 54 Murphy’s Pizza stores. There are currently over 750 Papa Murphy’s stores in 22 states.

81. MercuryPDX says:

@uhohagain: I totally agree that it’s great pizza, it’s just pricey in comparison.

82. spinachdip says:

@trujunglist: Count me in the “I don’t get it” camp too.

Seems it would be just as fast and considerably cheeper if I went into a grocery store and picked up a crust and toppings if you’re not going for taste. If you *are* going for taste, then the pizza snob in me tells me I’d have to cook the pizza at 900 F, which I’m not comfortable doing in my home oven.

83. DrGirlfriend says:

We need a moratorium on pizza posts.

84. arilvdc says:

@AlisonAshleigh: wow, $6? 8oz of mozzarella where i live is almost $4. …

85. EtherealStrife says:

So how much do pizzas cost at this place? I’ve never been, and am having trouble understanding the need for such an establishment.

My usual stop is Sam’s Club: $6 for a large with everything on it (cooked to order or take and bake).

86. ZekeSulastin says:

Ahh, all the usual Consumerist posts – the customer is at fault, why don’t you make it at home with stuff from the grocery store, national chains must die, go to a mom-and-pop … why bother posting anything here when it is obvious what answers you get :D

Since we’re discussing bake-at-home pizza anyways, does anyone else here remember the Joe Corbi kits from long ago? About all I remember is that they tasted like pizza (as pizza would to an elementary schooler), they sold well, and they kept forever in a freezer. Are they any good? Or are they Yet Another Corporate Crappy Thing?

87. scoosdad says:

@rrich: He did, but they baked the pizzas in the shop.

I’m more inclined to think of the Chinese Restaurant episode when I read this guy’s story. “Cartwright!”

88. Bay State Darren says:

@DrGirlfriend: We need a moratorium on pizza posts.
    Agreed. I’m hungry now.

89. holidayjay says:

@spinachdip: No need for a 900 degree oven, the trick is a pizza stone. It gives you a nice crust…crispy on the outside and perfectly soft and chewey on the inside. It even makes frozen pizza edible.

90. theblackdog says:

@DrGirlfriend: I agree with you there, though it’s inspiring me to pull out the pizza pans and whip up some homemade stuff.

I even want to try the salad bar trick that someone mentioned

91. BrentNewland says:

For all the people saying “make it yourself”… well, either you’re an excellent chef and baker, or you’re talking out your ass. I’ve done the “make your own pizza” thing a few times, and did it in some cooking classes, and even had some a friend made (who is a really good cook), and it’s expensive and doesn’t taste as good as anything. Sure, if you’re making 30 pizzas you might come in cheaper, but with a small bag of cheese being about $4, crust being $3-$5, sauce being about $2-$3, pepperoni being about $2-$3, and other toppings being a lot more expensive… just don’t see how it’s cheaper.

I’ve done all the big chains. Pizza hut, Domino’s, Papa John’s, Blackjack, Little Caesars, and a few others. Domino’s and Blackjack both have disgusting pizza; all the others are good, but Papa Murphy’s has so much more topping than the other places.

92. Artnchicken says:

@mercurypdx: Escape from NY is delicious; damn, maybe I should go and get a couple slices tomorrow.

93. doctor_cos wants you to remain calm says:

Pizza dough: $1.99, Cheese $1.99-2.99 Pepperoni (good deli style) $2.05, Sauce $1.99.
    Just over 8 bucks, I get one regular size and one 2/3 size pizza (nice thin rolled crust) from the lump of fresh dough from the Publix. Using the good deli pepperoni and good sauce, beats the snot out of all but the best 2 local joints around here, and it’s just as quick (if I remember to take the dough out of the fridge when I get home so it can rise a little).
    Never as good as mom’s though :)

94. RokMartian says:

We used to have one in our local walmart when it opened up a year or so ago – it is no longer there.

I wouldn’t have gotten past step 10. Once I see a customer leave that came in after me, I would have been asking for the manager and/or cancelling the order.

95. The Porkchop Express says:

@siberiankt: Freezer’s full of rot, er hot pockets.

Seriously, sometimes money and time just dictate getting a premade, ready to cook pizza. “make your own” can’t always be the answer to this type of problem. plus if we all “made our own” there wouldn’t be much to read on here about restaurants.

96. shanaynay says:

@BrentNewLand: in what universe does stuff cost that much? Make your own dough out of flour, yeast, and salt; sauce in a big batch and frozen, same with cheese. Yeah, if you’re buying everything prepackaged in tiny little portions, it’ll cost you. I think people are talking about doing this somewhat regularly, at home, from scratch.

97. rmz says:

@EtherealStrife: It’s been a few years since I’ve been to one (used to live in Portland but recently moved away), but their thing was a large Pepperoni (equivalent to an x-large at most places; they advertised that it weighed over 4 pounds) for $4.99 or $5.99 I believe.

98. Covaluxx says:

eff little ceasars….Get some Hunry Howies with the cajun crust

99. normanm4 says:

Dude! They should rename that place “Dominatrix Pizza”…cause you were totally that pizza’s bitch!

100. coan_net says:

I think this story just goes to show that every store needs someone who is organized.

I don’t think the problems is with the brand name, or the store chain in general – just the people who work there. Not that they are bad workers….. but there are people who are organized and can organize things, and those who can’t. Get a group of the un-organized in the store at one time, the store above happens. I would hope that the person at least decided to talk to the manager the next day or something – not just go on-line and blame the chain in general. A situation like this should be an easy thing for the store to fix – and hopefully the manager will also make the situation right with something free as a sorry – we will try to be better.

I’ve only ate at this place once. (Heck, if I’m going to order a pizza – I want someone to cook it for me too!). But I love my local Penn Station sub shop. They ALWAYS have long lines at lunch time – but I phone my order in, and I’m able to walk past the whole line waiting to pick up and pay for my order and get out of there fast.

101. Phantom_Photon says:

It is hard to train staff to handle orders properly. In a professional restaurant, they have an Expediter who handles making sure orders are processed in order and on time. It sounds like they were experiencing a “white out” (orders came in so fast it overwhelmed the system). This is usually a symptom of understaffing, or undertrained staff.

102. theblackdog says:

Dont forget if you buy the cheese from Costco, you’ll save even more :-D

103. rasbach says:

These guys are as bad as Rosati’s here in Arizona- don’t ever eat there- seriously, worst Pizza in America.

104. SOhp101 says:

Maybe he should have just stood in line and ordered his pizza like everyone else? or better yet just go somewhere else.

105. evilhapposai says:

Just got a free Papa Murphys from work and bought a Walmart take and bake again ($5.99) to make at the same time at home to compare (I have a LARGE family). As much as I hate Wal-mart and all it was bigger and tasted better. Where both of the were edible neither came anywhere close to the local pizza shop right down the road from me that makes AND bakes it in under 30min in their own ovens.